Author Topic: SpaceX's Autonomous Spaceport Drone Ship Discussion Thread 2  (Read 2965000 times)

Offline PhilW

All I have seen so far is lot of activity in/out/top of containers and deck cleaning...and random huddles over deck...I don't think they did anything to thrusters so far :P
Was a line of water churning up directly away from the aft starboard thruster for maybe 30 sec. Started small but built up to almost reach the dock side. As a Yachtie, know what it looks like in the water when you warm up the diesel.

Offline kch

• Liked: 496
  • Likes Given: 8807
Re: SpaceX's Autonomous Spaceport Drone Ship Discussion Thread 2
« Reply #421 on: 01/03/2015 05:26 pm »

It's there!!! webcam updates every ~7 sec
Nice.
Best luck the web cam is still there when GauntletX returns with F9 secured to the deck / glove. ;)

Stop making up your own names for things. Just stop it.

"We are not a Mews'd"?   ;)

Offline meekGee

• N. California
  • Liked: 14046
  • Likes Given: 1392
« Reply #422 on: 01/03/2015 05:40 pm »

It's there!!! webcam updates every ~7 sec
Nice.
Best luck the web cam is still there when GauntletX returns with F9 secured to the deck / glove. ;)

Stop making up your own names for things. Just stop it.

"We are not a Mews'd"?   ;)

Even worse, something something make him run the gauntlet something.
ABCD - Always Be Counting Down

Offline Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
  • A large LEGO storage facility ... in Michigan
  • Liked: 11864
  • Likes Given: 11086
« Reply #423 on: 01/03/2015 05:56 pm »
Ixnay on the naming posts, take that to the party thread.
"I think it would be great to be born on Earth and to die on Mars. Just hopefully not at the point of impact." -Elon Musk
"We're a little bit like the dog who caught the bus" - Musk after CRS-8 S1 successfully landed on ASDS OCISLY

Online geza

• Budapest
    • Géza Meszéna's web page
  • Liked: 433
  • Likes Given: 72
« Reply #424 on: 01/03/2015 06:13 pm »
All I have seen so far is lot of activity in/out/top of containers and deck cleaning...and random huddles over deck...I don't think they did anything to thrusters so far :P
Was a line of water churning up directly away from the aft starboard thruster for maybe 30 sec. Started small but built up to almost reach the dock side. As a Yachtie, know what it looks like in the water when you warm up the diesel.
Seemingly, they are not in hurry. If I were them I would depart early morning. Testing everything today and leaving tomorrow?

By the way, do they know that we observe them? :-)

Offline Ohsin

• Liked: 1453
  • Likes Given: 2379
« Reply #425 on: 01/03/2015 06:21 pm »
I have a new theory on ASDS deck.. It is an Ice skating rink.
"Well, three cheers to Sharma, but our real baby is INSAT."

Offline Robotbeat

• Minnesota
  • Liked: 25240
  • Likes Given: 12115
« Reply #426 on: 01/03/2015 06:24 pm »
By the way, do they know that we observe them? :-)
Is it possible that some people at SpaceX are on the Internet? ;)
Chris  Whoever loves correction loves knowledge, but he who hates reproof is stupid.

To the maximum extent practicable, the Federal Government shall plan missions to accommodate the space transportation services capabilities of United States commercial providers. US law http://goo.gl/YZYNt0

Offline John-H

• Liked: 68
  • Likes Given: 219
« Reply #427 on: 01/03/2015 07:10 pm »
There is one thing I am not clear on yet. How much "cross range" does the landing stage have?  If some factor such as high level winds move the landing point, how much can they recover while the stage is on final approach?  It would a shame to see a perfect touchdown, but a quarter mile away from the barge.

John

Offline cartman

• Greece
  • Liked: 524
  • Likes Given: 10427
« Reply #428 on: 01/03/2015 07:16 pm »
Yes, i am running one as well, loosely based on the code of doersino. That's how i found the 7sec interval.

Here is a video from the arrival of Carnival Fascination

Thanks, cartman.

Does anyone have the programs and ability to keep a screen capture program running to capture every frame (whether 30 s or 7s) so that we might later be able to see and analyze a departure video for ASDS, GoQuest and Elsbeth III?  Watching the prep, no. of people visible on board, etc.

Offline meekGee

• N. California
  • Liked: 14046
  • Likes Given: 1392
« Reply #429 on: 01/03/2015 07:39 pm »
There is one thing I am not clear on yet. How much "cross range" does the landing stage have?  If some factor such as high level winds move the landing point, how much can they recover while the stage is on final approach?  It would a shame to see a perfect touchdown, but a quarter mile away from the barge.

John

That's the main function of the grid fins - to correct for unexpected wind and for any errors in the reentry burn.

Ever since we learned about F9R, this question always lingered - how do you control stage between the reentry burn and the terminal landing burn.  The idea of only doing it with cold gas RCS and stage attitude seemed a little "underpowered". It turned out to be enough to stabilize the stage so it does not tumble, but not enough to guarantee that can hit the box from which terminal landing can take place.

There were many speculations about active control surfaces, either on the front (active feet, etc) or on the back, and even one poster guessed it right, suggesting grid fins.

There are 20-30 km of useful atmosphere, and I hope they can affect a 5-10% off-vertical path, so a post-insertion burn correction of 1-3 km?

Actually it can be a lot more if the stage still has significant horizontal motion at 20-30 km.
ABCD - Always Be Counting Down

Offline Ohsin

« Reply #430 on: 01/03/2015 07:59 pm »
They inflated something near Elsbeth III and deflated it.

EDIT: http://www.cruisin.me/cruise-ship-webcams/carnival-cruise-lines/carnival-fascination.php is back. Also footage is frozen at the moment.
« Last Edit: 01/03/2015 08:01 pm by Ohsin »

Offline Avron

• Canadian Member
  • Liked: 156
  • Likes Given: 160
« Reply #431 on: 01/03/2015 08:03 pm »

John

That's the main function of the grid fins - to correct for unexpected wind and for any errors in the reentry burn.

Ever since we learned about F9R, this question always lingered - how do you control stage between the reentry burn and the terminal landing burn.  The idea of only doing it with cold gas RCS and stage attitude seemed a little "underpowered". It turned out to be enough to stabilize the stage so it does not tumble, but not enough to guarantee that can hit the box from which terminal landing can take place.

There were many speculations about active control surfaces, either on the front (active feet, etc) or on the back, and even one poster guessed it right, suggesting grid fins.

There are 20-30 km of useful atmosphere, and I hope they can affect a 5-10% off-vertical path, so a post-insertion burn correction of 1-3 km?

Actually it can be a lot more if the stage still has significant horizontal motion at 20-30 km.

A rotating cylinder can create significant lift , thus can be used as a lifting body and get a good deal of x range

Offline Helodriver

• Liked: 5971
  • Likes Given: 700
« Reply #432 on: 01/03/2015 08:28 pm »

EDIT: http://www.cruisin.me/cruise-ship-webcams/carnival-cruise-lines/carnival-fascination.php is back. Also footage is frozen at the moment.

Possibly one of these? Tough to tell, but about the right size. I've used one, live internet to/from anywhere with good data rates.

Offline Darga

• Beyond the wall
  • Liked: 179
  • Likes Given: 881
« Reply #433 on: 01/03/2015 08:36 pm »
Carnival Fascination has just left so unfortunately we won't be able to see the barge depart. We will have to settle for tracking the Go Quest and ELSBETH III.

Offline akku

• vienna austria europe
  • Liked: 3
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #434 on: 01/03/2015 09:12 pm »
ELSBETH III moving !
is on the way to the other side ASDS
« Last Edit: 01/03/2015 09:15 pm by akku »

Offline Ohsin

« Reply #435 on: 01/03/2015 09:15 pm »

Possibly one of these? Tough to tell, but about the right size. I've used one, live internet to/from anywhere with good data rates.

Took about ~7min to inflate and it was gone with in 7 seconds .. I think it popped whatever it was.
« Last Edit: 01/03/2015 09:59 pm by Ohsin »

Offline mme

• Santa Barbara, CA, USA, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Virgo Supercluster
  • Liked: 2034
  • Likes Given: 5381
« Reply #436 on: 01/03/2015 09:15 pm »

A rotating cylinder can create significant lift , thus can be used as a lifting body and get a good deal of x range

They explicitly don't rotate the stage.  Also the stage enters engines first, not broadside as would be required to generate lift.
Space is not Highlander.  There can, and will, be more than one.

Offline QuantumG

• Australia
  • Liked: 4477
  • Likes Given: 1108
« Reply #437 on: 01/03/2015 09:19 pm »
Surely that's a weather balloon.
Human spaceflight is basically just LARPing now.

Offline Comga

• Liked: 4572
  • Likes Given: 5136
« Reply #438 on: 01/03/2015 09:51 pm »
He showed it to be an inflatable 2.4 meter satellite antenna.
And stop calling him Shirley.  8)
What kind of wastrels would dump a perfectly good booster in the ocean after just one use?

Offline Mapperuo

• Assistant Webmaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Yorkshire
  • Liked: 533
  • Likes Given: 68
« Reply #439 on: 01/03/2015 09:51 pm »

Would agree. And it popping isn't why it vanished in 7 seconds, they let it go, would be my guess.  :)
- Aaron

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography