Author Topic: CubeSAT Projects by Forum Members  (Read 12703 times)

Offline Danderman

• Extreme Veteran
  • Liked: 699
  • Likes Given: 723
CubeSAT Projects by Forum Members
« on: 05/23/2012 06:14 pm »
This is the thread for members here to inform each other about their CubeSAT projects.

I founded a company based on CubeSATS (Nanoracks).

So, are you working on  a CubeSAT project?   ??? ??? ???

Offline D_Dom

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 481
  • Likes Given: 152
Re: CubeSAT Projects by Forum Members
« Reply #1 on: 05/24/2012 03:13 am »
I have definitely been considering it. The cost seems within reach and the research interesting. I suppose the most intriguing aspect will be learning critical skills that will be directly applicable. Impressive list of experiments you are flying, congratulations and keep up the good work.
Space is not merely a matter of life or death, it is considerably more important than that!

Offline Danderman

• Extreme Veteran
« Reply #2 on: 05/24/2012 05:09 am »
My personal interest is more along the lines of creating the functional equivalent of Mariner 4 in a CubeSAT.

Offline D_Dom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: 05/24/2012 03:56 pm »
50 years of electronics miniaturization may enable such a project. Are you more interested in particular measurements or planning to duplicate the whole suite?

Wondering if the dust detector was a function of the cameras and image analysis of the Martian atmosphere or if they had a dedicated sensor for dust in the immediate vicinity of the spacecraft.

http://nssdc.gsfc.nasa.gov/nmc/spacecraftDisplay.do?id=1964-077A
« Last Edit: 05/24/2012 05:39 pm by cygnusX1 »
Space is not merely a matter of life or death, it is considerably more important than that!

Offline js117

• Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #4 on: 05/24/2012 04:49 pm »
This is the thread for members here to inform each other about their CubeSAT projects.

I founded a company based on CubeSATS (Nanoracks).

So, are you working on  a CubeSAT project?   ??? ??? ???

Dose your company have a name and a web site to see and follow
 your project.

Offline D_Dom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: 05/24/2012 05:38 pm »
a web site to see and follow
 your project.

Search engine is your friend.
http://nanoracks.com/

Offline Danderman

• Extreme Veteran
« Reply #6 on: 05/24/2012 06:26 pm »
50 years of electronics miniaturization may enable such a project. Are you more interested in particular measurements or planning to duplicate the whole suite?

Wondering if the dust detector was a function of the cameras and image analysis of the Martian atmosphere or if they had a dedicated sensor for dust in the immediate vicinity of the spacecraft.

http://nssdc.gsfc.nasa.gov/nmc/spacecraftDisplay.do?id=1964-077A

Not exactly duplicate the instruments, since the goal would be an asteroid flyby. I am interested in whether a CubeSAT could provide a geochemical map of the asteroid, with the CubeSAT bus providing the functional equivalent of Mariner 4, but with an instrument suite more along the lines of New Horizons.

Offline D_Dom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: 05/25/2012 12:28 am »
That is pretty ambitious. What is the expected lifetime of your asteroid flyby?
New Horizons is a very interesting spacecraft, Hard to imagine all this in a 1U cubesat, even considering modern electronics.

Read somewhere that interest in cubesat experiments is exploding with the number of active experiments doubling every 18 months.

Here is a link provided by a co-worker who is active in amateur radio;
http://www.uk.amsat.org/7696

Offline artemiit

• orvieto Italy
    • personal site
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #8 on: 05/25/2012 08:10 am »
I don't know if the thing can interest you but I proposed in a Small Satellites Conference a Cubesat-like space experiment for searching free quarks . This topic is very important  in Fundamental Physics . You can read this proposal at http://carloartemiattivita.sitonline.it/1/upload/ssc07_ii_10.pdf . Sorry for my English .

Offline ClaytonBirchenough

• ~ 1 AU
  • Liked: 34
  • Likes Given: 348
« Reply #9 on: 03/23/2013 05:29 pm »
Hey all,

Was wondering if there were any opportunities for a secondary payload on a cubesat. I don't have the money to launch my own cubesat, but was investigating launching just a small sensor into orbit on a cubesat.

Thanks
Clayton Birchenough

Offline Robotbeat

• Minnesota
  • Liked: 25240
  • Likes Given: 12115
« Reply #10 on: 03/23/2013 05:30 pm »
Hey all,

Was wondering if there were any opportunities for a secondary payload on a cubesat. I don't have the money to launch my own cubesat, but was investigating launching just a small sensor into orbit on a cubesat.

Thanks
Yeah, there are a few kickstarter projects with that idea, sort of.
Chris  Whoever loves correction loves knowledge, but he who hates reproof is stupid.

To the maximum extent practicable, the Federal Government shall plan missions to accommodate the space transportation services capabilities of United States commercial providers. US law http://goo.gl/YZYNt0

• ~ 1 AU
« Reply #11 on: 03/23/2013 06:38 pm »
Hey all,

Thanks
Yeah, there are a few kickstarter projects with that idea, sort of.

Mind referencing some? I can't seem to find any... is it Ardusat?
Clayton Birchenough

Offline Danderman

• Extreme Veteran
« Reply #12 on: 05/06/2013 02:51 pm »
Ardulab - A Zero Gravity Research Platform an 11 Year Old Can Use

http://diyspaceexploration.com/blog/ardulab-a-zero-gravity-research-platform-an-11-year-old-can-use/

When in the past, it would take years for students or independent researchers to launch their experiments into space, ArduLab, a relatively new space hardware, is making headlines as a “low cost, open source science facility…designed specifically for microgravity research aboard the International Space Station, Suborbital Launch Vehicles, and Parabolic Aircraft.” (taken from their website, www.ardulab.com). With ArduLab and NanoRacks, students can now launch their experiments into space in under a year.

Offline Danderman

• Extreme Veteran
« Reply #13 on: 05/06/2013 02:52 pm »
Hey all,

Thanks

I would sent off an email to some of the teams developing CubeSat projects. However, I suspect that the costs of integrating your sensor into someone else's project would be greater than simply developing your own payload.

• ~ 1 AU
« Reply #14 on: 05/06/2013 09:58 pm »
Hey all,

Thanks

I would sent off an email to some of the teams developing CubeSat projects. However, I suspect that the costs of integrating your sensor into someone else's project would be greater than simply developing your own payload.

Was just wondering if a payload such as a picture or passive payload that had almost no integration required would be let on a cubesat.
Clayton Birchenough

Offline Danderman

• Extreme Veteran
« Reply #15 on: 05/06/2013 10:27 pm »
Hey all,

Thanks

Was just wondering if a payload such as a picture or passive payload that had almost no integration required would be let on a cubesat.

You are going to find that some CubeSAT projects have system engineers who will consider that "almost no integration" is a foreign concept.

For example, a CubeSAT may have a very tight thermal balance, and insertion of a paper object and its attachment mechanisms may change that balance significantly, either by blocking air flow within the pressurized area, or by blocking heat flow out of the compartment (if attached to a wall). Or, the object may retain heat that normally would be radiated out of the CubeSAT.

« Last Edit: 05/06/2013 10:29 pm by Danderman »

Online Bob Shaw

• Liked: 727
  • Likes Given: 676
« Reply #16 on: 05/06/2013 10:58 pm »
Approaching from the other side of the story, KickSat is due to launch on Dragon CRS-3 on 11 November and to deploy a couple of hundred 'Sprite' nanosats just after Dragon enters orbit (they will rapidly decay and re-enter). The first generation Sprites can't do anything more than generate a little electricity and then broadcast an individual call-sign in Morse Code, but the idea is that future generations could do practical work. So there's an alternative to hitching a ride aboard a full-blown CubeSat - go nano!

I must declare an interest here - one of the Sprites belongs to my limited company, and it will broadcast the initials of the company: G P S. The company is Glasgow Photographic Studios Ltd, and we do industrial photography. And the cost? A couple of hundred dollars! Oh, and I even got a spare unflown development Sprite to keep...

Offline Danderman

• Extreme Veteran
« Reply #17 on: 05/07/2013 06:27 pm »
I should also mention the PongSats flown by JP Aerospace, they may be cheap enough and simple enough for just about anyone.

Offline jebbo

• Cambridge, UK
  • Liked: 608
  • Likes Given: 309
« Reply #18 on: 05/09/2013 02:09 pm »
A CubeSat project I'm watching with interest is ExoplanetSat . . . if these could be made / launched cheaply enough, a constellation of these - each looking at a single star - would be a very interesting follow-up to survey missions like GAIA & TESS.

Offline Moe Grills

• Liked: 27
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #19 on: 05/21/2013 09:08 pm »
  On thje JPL Space Calender website there is a reference to sending
a "cube" payload to the Moon this September or October onboard
a Minotaur.
 Any of you involved in the project?
If it succeeds, the Google XPrize efforts may get legitimacy in the mainstream press. 

Tags: cubesat cubesats 

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography