Author Topic: Arianespace strengthens partnership with MHI  (Read 1982 times)

Offline jacqmans

• Global Moderator
  • Houten, The Netherlands
  • Liked: 8562
  • Likes Given: 320
Arianespace strengthens partnership with MHI
« on: 04/24/2007 03:47 pm »
Tokyo, April 24, 2007

Arianespace strengthens partnership with MHI

Arianespace announces a new milestone in its offering of launch Service & Solutions.

Arianespace and Mitsubishi Heavy Industries (MHI) have agreed to combine their satellite launch offerings by Ariane 5 and H-IIA to better serve customers in Japan and worldwide.

Arianespace and MHI will jointly propose to potential customers launch services such that the customer's satellite may be launched on either one of the two launch vehicles.

That is a further development in the commercial cooperation of Arianespace and MHI since the inception of the very successful Launch Services Alliance, which provides back-up launch services.

Ariane 5 and H-IIA are the most reliable launchers on the market today.

"I am very pleased that we will be able to offer to our customers launch Service & Solutions which adds the very reliable H-IIA to our own fleet of Ariane 5, Soyuz and Vega" declared Jean-Yves Le Gall, Arianespace's Chairman & CEO
Jacques :-)

Offline SIM city

• Liked: 4
  • Likes Given: 3
Re: Arianespace strengthens partnership with MHI
« Reply #1 on: 04/26/2007 09:18 pm »
Does anyone know what this means?  How is it any different from the old launch alliance?

Offline simonbp

• Science Guy
  • Liked: 314
  • Likes Given: 183
« Reply #2 on: 04/27/2007 08:02 pm »
I believe it means that a customer would buy a slot to orbit and the spacecraft would be launched on either an H-IIA or an Ariane V, depending on what is available. Previously I think it was just a back-up (as in if H-IIA is grounded, its customers fly on Ariane V, and visa versa)...

Simon ;)

Offline maskims

• satellite test pilot
  • London
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #3 on: 04/28/2007 05:57 pm »
I thought that one of the main concerns regarding HIIA's entry on the commercial market was uncompetitive price ranges, and that MHI was struggling to get government support among other solutions to help its first contracts be less expensive. I know an Ariane launch is about 120M€ so about 60M€ per sat... Can MHI offer the same price ?

Offline mr.columbus

• Extreme Veteran
« Reply #4 on: 04/29/2007 12:07 am »
maskims - 28/4/2007  1:57 PM

I thought that one of the main concerns regarding HIIA's entry on the commercial market was uncompetitive price ranges, and that MHI was struggling to get government support among other solutions to help its first contracts be less expensive. I know an Ariane launch is about 120M€ so about 60M€ per sat... Can MHI offer the same price ?

Arianespace had sales of € 983 million in 2006 (http://www.arianespace.com/site/documents/Arianespace_Annual_Report_2006.pdf) with 5 launches of Ariane 5 ECA and had some income through Starsem (not sure if those are accounted for in sales). Anyway if they would just charge € 120 million  per Ariane 5 launch, there would be a couple of hundred millions of sales not accounted for...

Offline Christine

« Reply #5 on: 04/29/2007 12:46 am »
The rest of income is probably subsidies from ESA.

Offline mr.columbus

• Extreme Veteran
« Reply #6 on: 04/29/2007 08:50 am »
Christine - 28/4/2007  8:46 PM

The rest of income is probably subsidies from ESA.

No its not. The €983 million are all sales.

Offline SIM city

• Liked: 4
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #7 on: 04/30/2007 12:03 pm »
Ariane's prices are coming up so 120 m euro may no longer cut it.  I also heard about MHI asking for subsidies.  Shouldn't they have done that BEFORE taking over the launch business from the government???

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography