Author Topic: SpaceX Texas launch site Discussion and Updates - Thread 6  (Read 720973 times)

Offline Kansan52

• Hutchinson, KS
  • Liked: 570
  • Likes Given: 539
Re: SpaceX Texas launch site Discussion and Updates - Thread 6
« Reply #340 on: 11/21/2017 10:29 pm »

They have been 'caught wasting' (in hindsight) money before, i.e the whole spaceport america thing, the unused flame trench at Mcgregor, and the big crane at Boca Chica that is unused so long they have had to build a shed over it.

Not disagreeing but from another perspective, all signs of a company willing to change plans as needed.

Offline nacnud

• Extreme Veteran
  • Liked: 981
  • Likes Given: 347
« Reply #341 on: 11/21/2017 10:52 pm »
Exactly, a company that understands the sunk costs fallacy.

Offline guckyfan

• Germany
  • Liked: 2332
  • Likes Given: 2891
« Reply #342 on: 11/22/2017 02:16 am »

They have been 'caught wasting' (in hindsight) money before, i.e the whole spaceport america thing, the unused flame trench at Mcgregor, and the big crane at Boca Chica that is unused so long they have had to build a shed over it.

This is a puzzling thing. What they build there is much more massive than a shelter for the crane would need to be. That would be a tent.

So clearly they are planning something.

Offline topo334

• California
  • Liked: 40
  • Likes Given: 50
« Reply #343 on: 11/22/2017 02:26 am »
Could the crane kit be stacked on the  site of a planned building (hanger perhaps) and Spacex, experiencing changed priorities, decided to enclose the previously ordered crane in a a building which they will need later in order to protect the crane which they will use later.

Offline Nomadd

• Lower 48
  • Liked: 60430
  • Likes Given: 1305
« Reply #344 on: 11/22/2017 02:44 am »
 It's a 50 year old foundation whose building was destroyed by a hurricane the same year it was built. It's a convenient place for a quick warehouse and just happens to be the right size for the crane parts. Custom cranes that size need to be ordered a ways in advance, and they probably needed to take delivery by a certain date. Temporary buildings aren't a good idea in hurricane country and a decent building with a real frame will have plenty of potential uses once the crane is wherever it winds up. It's a little low, but as long as the expensive stuff is a few feet off the floor, it should be out of any storm surge.
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.

Offline ChrisC

• Veteran
  • Liked: 1561
  • Likes Given: 1749
PSA #1: EST does NOT mean "Eastern Time".  Use "Eastern" or "ET" instead, all year round, and avoid this common error.  Google "EST vs EDT".
PSA #2: It's and its: know the difference and quietly impress grammar pedants.  Google "angry flower its" .  *** See profile for two more NSF forum tips. ***

Offline ajmarco

• Liked: 63
  • Likes Given: 39
« Reply #346 on: 11/22/2017 12:33 pm »
Looks like they are preparing for construction of a new building or buildings on the cleared lot with the tracking pad and washout station setup.

Offline jebbo

• Cambridge, UK
  • Liked: 608
  • Likes Given: 309
« Reply #347 on: 11/22/2017 12:38 pm »
Given the FCC filings for testing the Starlink stuff include Cameron County and pretty heft transmitter powers,  I wonder if it could be a ground station for that?

--- Tony

Offline Dave G

• Liked: 2127
  • Likes Given: 2021
« Reply #348 on: 11/22/2017 01:34 pm »
Looks like they are preparing for construction of a new building or buildings on the cleared lot with the tracking pad and washout station setup.

Do you mean the area circled in red below?

If so, current speculation is this will be a parking lot, based on comments from a Brownsville official.

If it is a parking area, I suspect they'll put up solar panels over the parking spaces.  This could help to power the antenna dishes.
« Last Edit: 11/22/2017 01:36 pm by Dave G »

Offline Nomadd

• Lower 48
« Reply #349 on: 11/22/2017 03:27 pm »
 The guys working on the lots by the dishes don't know what they're for. They're just putting a limestone road and pads there right now. There's a good size size generator by the container next to the dishes.
« Last Edit: 11/23/2017 07:40 pm by Nomadd »
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.

Offline Nomadd

• Lower 48
« Reply #350 on: 11/23/2017 06:46 pm »
 It looks like some of the old hydraulic dish drives and waveguide whatsits sitting out in the rain, but all that is probably getting replaced.
 Nothing but grubbing and fence building on the runoff control permit but they're also hauling in fill to replace the layer they scraped off and raise the site a bit.
 The idea that things are moving right along isn't really helped when you have trees growing through your crane.
« Last Edit: 11/23/2017 07:34 pm by Nomadd »

Offline Johnnyhinbos

• Boston, MA
  • Liked: 8095
  • Likes Given: 943
« Reply #351 on: 11/23/2017 07:19 pm »
Lol!!
John Hanzl. Author, action / adventure www.johnhanzl.com

Offline SPITexas

• Liked: 191
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #352 on: 11/24/2017 12:21 am »
It looks like some of the old hydraulic dish drives and waveguide whatsits sitting out in the rain, but all that is probably getting replaced.
 Nothing but grubbing and fence building on the runoff control permit but they're also hauling in fill to replace the layer they scraped off and raise the site a bit.
 The idea that things are moving right along isn't really helped when you have trees growing through your crane.

Just checking, Is the clearing and grubbing talking about those 2 lots surrounding the tracking dishes.
« Last Edit: 11/24/2017 05:15 am by SPITexas »

Offline vaporcobra

Great shots, nomadd!

Found an awesome pic and a talkative contractor from a day or so ago (PM me for the account if interested, for the sake of privacy).

Asked what the crane was intended for:

Me: Any idea what that crane is for?
Him: it's for standing up the rocket or ship for for takeoff
Him: This building's actually coming back down in about 2 - 3 years when they're ready to start launching

Given the likelihood that he's a contractor, take it with grains of salt. Nevertheless, seems pretty accurate, particularly with the differentiation between "rocket" and "ship" with respect to BFR/BFS. Color me intrigued!

Online Semmel

• Germany
  • Liked: 2433
  • Likes Given: 11916
« Reply #354 on: 11/24/2017 05:29 am »
Yeah, sounds like it fits with the design of BFR/BFS. I don't think we will see a TEL for either BFR or BFS. Only the launch mount and the crane are required, plus a crew access tower if the launch pad supports crew. All the piping and umbilicals will come through the launch mount. BFS is fueled through BFR, no TEL required. This setup is vastly simpler and cheaper than the F9 launch pad.

Online meekGee

• N. California
  • Liked: 14046
  • Likes Given: 1392
« Reply #355 on: 11/24/2017 01:39 pm »
Yup, and the rocket stays vertical throughout its lifetime*, as it should.

*While on the ground, that is.
ABCD - Always Be Counting Down

Offline Nomadd

• Lower 48
« Reply #356 on: 11/24/2017 02:50 pm »
Great shots, nomadd!

Found an awesome pic and a talkative contractor from a day or so ago (PM me for the account if interested, for the sake of privacy).

Him: This building's actually coming back down in about 2 - 3 years when they're ready to start launching

Given the likelihood that he's a contractor, take it with grains of salt. Nevertheless, seems pretty accurate, particularly with the differentiation between "rocket" and "ship" with respect to BFR/BFS. Color me intrigued!

The main things missing for the crane seem to be the cylindrical base sections, but they're probably not anything special and can be procured any time. There's no telling how tall this thing will be.
 I've looked at hundreds of cranes and haven't seen one like this. It looks like a gantry type, but has a pivot on one end. And it was probably ordered when the plans for the site were different that they are now. I'm betting it will be used for construction first and have a second life in ops later.
« Last Edit: 11/24/2017 04:20 pm by Nomadd »

Offline SPITexas

• Liked: 191
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #357 on: 11/24/2017 04:15 pm »
in 2-3 yrs. “The company publicly stated an aspirational goal for initial Mars-bound cargo flights of BFR launching as early as 2022, followed by the first BFR flight with passengers one synodic period later, in 2024“ SpaceX confirmed.
  Ok that answers everybody’s question in here since Sept. 29th yes the BFR will launch from Boca Chica.
Musk certainly proposed this site to launch a Mars rocket years ago.  If SpaceX wants to launch from Boca Chica they can modify the launch pad for the BFR while constructing it. That sounds like what there gonna do.
« Last Edit: 11/24/2017 04:37 pm by SPITexas »

Online meekGee

• N. California
  • Liked: 14046
  • Likes Given: 1392
« Reply #358 on: 11/24/2017 07:01 pm »
Great shots, nomadd!

I'm getting a kick out of the fact that the construction contractor is fully versed on the nuances of the launch sequence.  :)

ABCD - Always Be Counting Down

Offline Nomadd

• Lower 48
« Reply #359 on: 11/25/2017 03:13 am »

I'm getting a kick out of the fact that the construction contractor is fully versed on the nuances of the launch sequence.  :)

I've given directions to contractors looking for the "NASA rocket site". I think it's a pretty good bet the plans for this place aren't settled at any level yet.
 I'm still digesting the Ashley Vance book, and I know he made plenty of errors, but it was still valuable resource for understanding the way things tend to work, and I realize the only constant is change in this business.
 The idea of not seeing Falcon launches from my yard fraks me off to no end, and I can't figure out why SpaceX even exists if not to fulfill the fantasy I've had since I was nine years old, but I'll get over it. It'll be a good ride over the next few years no matter what happens.
 At least I got to stand on a bench and sing "Ein Prosit" this year.

*I didn't say "fraks" I'm surprised this damn Mary Poppins bad word bot lets people type BFR*
« Last Edit: 11/25/2017 03:19 am by Nomadd »

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography