Author Topic: STS-133 Shuttle Discovery's Final Launch: Viewing (Going to launch, etc.)  (Read 646165 times)

Offline Aobrien

• Tampa, Florida
  • Liked: 3
  • Likes Given: 0
Just starting this thread early because I know a lot of people probably know if they are going very soon as you have to get these tickets early.

I requested my tickets from my congresswomen months ago.
Looking forward to viewing this final launch of Space shuttle Discovery
« Last Edit: 05/10/2010 01:13 am by Ford Mustang »
NSF L2=The Ultimate Space Passport

Offline Davidgojr

• Lead & Producer PROJECT SOAR
  • Texas
  • Liked: 113
  • Likes Given: 3
I requested congressional passes months ago as well for this final mission of the shuttle program.  I have my fingers crossed that this will work out.  No matter what viewing site I end up getting, I will be in Florida to see this final launch.

Offline keliezimmer

• Liked: 0
Hello,

I also plan to go to this launch, however, I have heard a rumor (from Central Florida Tours) that KSC and NASA are going to be using up all of the NASA Causeway viewing and that there will be no VIP launch viewing areas for the last shuttle launch.  Can anyone confirm this?  That would be a bummer

Offline Aobrien

• Tampa, Florida
Well this is no longer the last shuttle launch.
I have to figure out what to do. I want to see the last launch so I don't know if I should go request a switch with STS-134 but I heard they may switch back. Any advice

Offline mixologist07

• St. Louis
Hello,

I also plan to go to this launch, however, I have heard a rumor (from Central Florida Tours) that KSC and NASA are going to be using up all of the NASA Causeway viewing and that there will be no VIP launch viewing areas for the last shuttle launch.  Can anyone confirm this?  That would be a bummer

While it's not going to be an easy ticket to get, I did hear some somewhat reliable information that there are plans to actually expand the causeway viewing area and re-activate some of the secondary viewing sites (Static Test Road, Fire Tower, Astronaut Road) for the final launch.  Most of these sites will be used exclusively for VIP viewing, but I believe that they'll expand causeway seats enough that there should be some public tickets available.  I would expect that any congressional ticket holder will be put on the causeway, if not just the visitor's center.

Offline Aobrien

• Tampa, Florida
Title and first post changed as no longer final launch
« Last Edit: 05/09/2010 04:59 pm by Aobrien »

Offline danduc

Hello everybody

I was so impressed by my first launch for STS-131 that I am planning a trip back to Florida for STS-133. If anybody is from the Ottawa (Ontario), just let me know.

Thanks

Daniel

Offline Commander Keen

• Liked: 1
I am planning on viewing the launch as well.  I have heard of a potential slip in schedule due to payload configuration and module prep.  Does anyone know what kind of slip we're talking about here?  A month or two?

This will be my first launch so I am excited.  I seen all the landings at Edwards, including seeing Enterprise during her ALT day.  A launch will be icing on the cake.  Can't wait!

Offline astrobrian

• NSF Photographer
  • Austin Texas
  • Liked: 23
  • Likes Given: 112
I am planning on viewing the launch as well.  I have heard of a potential slip in schedule due to payload configuration and module prep.  Does anyone know what kind of slip we're talking about here?  A month or two?

This will be my first launch so I am excited.  I seen all the landings at Edwards, including seeing Enterprise during her ALT day.  A launch will be icing on the cake.  Can't wait!
L2 will be the place you'd hear specifics first regarding any slip in the timeline

Offline Swee

Just an FYI...I received notice today that my hotel reservations have been canceled at the Clarion at 4951 S. Washington Ave in Titusville as 'The hotel is closing their doors to business effective 6/1/10.'  Just passing this along in case others have reserved a room here.

Offline Furner

• Grand Rapids, MI
    • Launch Viewing Wiki
Just an FYI...I received notice today that my hotel reservations have been canceled at the Clarion at 4951 S. Washington Ave in Titusville as 'The hotel is closing their doors to business effective 6/1/10.'  Just passing this along in case others have reserved a room here.

I dont know if their franchise would allow it, but they would probably be more profitable to just open up 3 days before and after a launch.  $179 a night plus $25 a car for non-guest parking is a pretty good deal for them.  It would be a shame to give up that view.

EDIT: Looks like it is being turned into a church retreat center.  Damn shame.
Article says Choice Hotels is supposed to be working with guests booked there to get them other accommodations.  Lets see if that is the case!
http://www.floridatoday.com/article/20100519/BUSINESS/5190327/Titusville-Clarion-Inn-closing
« Last Edit: 05/24/2010 02:00 pm by Furner »

Offline Commander Keen

• Liked: 1

Sorry to hear that.  You may already be aware of the fact that STS-133 is slipping (from my sources) to NET October and more than likely November.  There are similiar posts in addition to my rumors in the STS-133 Processing status.  I assumed it was going to slip so I have yet to make reservations.  I will just be happy to get some solid date.

I wish you best on your hotel hunt.  I hope to be out there with you when 133 gets off.

Offline spacedog71

someone please check my math here, but rolling back from an average of two hours earlier every five days, from 11:40 am on september 16th, i'm showing a launch window on october 28th in the neighborhood of 7:00 pm, with sunset that day at 6:44 pm.

in other words, an october 28th launch window for STS-133 could result in the same sort of dusk/dawn multicolored contrails as STS-131 and STS-119.

which would be awesome.  :D

Offline ChrisGebhardt

• Assistant Managing Editor
  • ad astra scientia
  • ~1 AU
  • Liked: 7877
  • Likes Given: 853
someone please check my math here, but rolling back from an average of two hours earlier every five days, from 11:40 am on september 16th, i'm showing a launch window on october 28th in the neighborhood of 7:00 pm, with sunset that day at 6:44 pm.

in other words, an october 28th launch window for STS-133 could result in the same sort of dusk/dawn multicolored contrails as STS-131 and STS-119.

which would be awesome.  :D

In-plane on 28 October 2010 is ~1930 EDT. Sunset is ~1840 EDT. It would be more like 131 than 119.

Offline spacedog71

In-plane on 28 October 2010 is ~1930 EDT. Sunset is ~1840 EDT. It would be more like 131 than 119.

awesome, that more than makes up for february being an afternoon launch. :)

how's june 28th's theoretical window look?

Offline ChrisGebhardt

• Assistant Managing Editor
  • ad astra scientia
  • ~1 AU
  • Liked: 7877
  • Likes Given: 853

awesome, that more than makes up for february being an afternoon launch. :)

how's june 28th's theoretical window look?

Afternoon. Roughly 1530 EDT for 24 June 2011.

Offline parmstro

With MECO around 60 nautical miles, I'm not sure it will ever hit sunlight. Says one of my experts: "With an 11.5 degree central angle and a spherical earth of 3443 naut mi., a grazing beam hits the local radial at about 70 naut mi, well above SRB sep. Refraction would lower that somewhat, though."

Offline spacedog71

according to the sts-133 facebook page, it's now jumped all the way up to NET ~1744 EDT on october 29th, nearly a whole hour before sunset.

...dang. i can't even put into words how much i was looking forward to one more night launch.

Offline Aobrien

• Tampa, Florida
according to the sts-133 facebook page, it's now jumped all the way up to NET ~1744 EDT on october 29th, nearly a whole hour before sunset.

...dang. i can't even put into words how much i was looking forward to one more night launch.
You can't really listen to the launch times at this point. So many factors that can be affected plus the potential for STS-135 exc.

Offline LostInSpace

• Cape Canaveral
  • Liked: 12
  • Likes Given: 6
Launch is now Nov 1st

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston