Author Topic: New NSF Feedback Thread  (Read 375445 times)

Offline ehb

• Liked: 222
  • Likes Given: 563
Re: New NSF Feedback Thread
« Reply #140 on: 09/10/2013 10:56 am »

Needs more work but basic functionality should be back in there

The "active topics" view is gone:
http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?action=activetopics

Which I find quite convenient...

I'm not sure what you mean by "needs more work", perhaps you have already done this work... but as to the "look" of it, I like it in its current state....

Online ohlongjohnson

• Liked: 25
  • Likes Given: 21
« Reply #141 on: 09/10/2013 12:01 pm »
I like the new style! Thanks for the hard work!!!

I've got a problem with my android phone using opera mini and opera mobile in "Offroad Mode". The Problem does not appear, when using opera mobile without "Offroad Mode".
Opera mini and Opera mobile in the "Offroad Mode" use a proxy to access sites. Wikipedia has this to say:

Opera Mini requests web pages through Opera Software's servers, which process and compress them before sending them to the mobile phone, speeding up transfer by two to three times and dramatically reducing the amount of data transferred, chargeable on many mobile phone data plans. The pre-processing increases compatibility with web pages not designed for mobile phones.

The Golden L2-Ticker-Box on the top right corner seems to be formatted in a way, that all text is somehow in there, but only the top line is shown. Opera Mini (and Mobile in Offroad Mode) displays ALL the text which results in a layer of L2-advertising-text over the area, where the latest subforum-posts are shown.

This did not happen in the old forum version... Perhaps there is an easy fix for that?

I hope I was able to describe the problem properly, if not, feel free to ask what I meant ;)

Offline AnalogMan

• Cambridge, UK
  • Liked: 1602
  • Likes Given: 50
« Reply #142 on: 09/10/2013 02:56 pm »
Minor niggle:  the font size for preformatted text [pre & /pre tags] is rather small compared with teletype [tt & /tt tags] and the normal font.

This line is in preformatted text

This line is in teletype text

For example it has made William Graham's excellent consolidated launch schedule a tad more difficult to read:
http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=15134.msg1094915#msg1094915

EDIT: this might just be an artifact of the Firefox  browser (I'm using latest version 23.0.1) - the two texts look about the same size with Internet Explorer.
« Last Edit: 09/10/2013 03:02 pm by AnalogMan »

Online Chris Bergin

« Reply #143 on: 09/10/2013 03:13 pm »
Fine in Chrome too.

Also worth nothing there's now a few posts asking for specific changes, such as the profile boxes. I want this thread to stay on personal technical issues, as there's no way we're going to change design features based on one person's wishes, for fear of then upsetting several thousand. A good suggestion - based on comments thus far - will, however, be discussed.

Speaking of which, we've now going through tens of thousands of visitors since being live, so with only a handful of people having issues per this thread - mainly with mobile devices too - so it's really a case of fine-tuning on the foundation of this new forum, which clearly works very well with the vast majority.

Like the orbiters, you don't change something on the vehicle if it risks causing other problems to previously working hardware :)

However, once the fine-tuning is complete, anyone who is still having major problems (I know of at least one person and I've contacted him) will be personally assisted best we can.
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline MP99

« Reply #144 on: 09/10/2013 05:27 pm »
Fine in Chrome too.

Also worth nothing there's now a few posts asking for specific changes, such as the profile boxes. I want this thread to stay on personal technical issues, as there's no way we're going to change design features based on one person's wishes, for fear of then upsetting several thousand. A good suggestion - based on comments thus far - will, however, be discussed.

Speaking of which, we've now going through tens of thousands of visitors since being live, so with only a handful of people having issues per this thread - mainly with mobile devices too - so it's really a case of fine-tuning on the foundation of this new forum, which clearly works very well with the vast majority.

Like the orbiters, you don't change something on the vehicle if it risks causing other problems to previously working hardware :)

However, once the fine-tuning is complete, anyone who is still having major problems (I know of at least one person and I've contacted him) will be personally assisted best we can.

This looks like a great, stable upgrade. I know that's not easy on a major refresh like this.

Great job to all involved.

cheers, Martin

Offline IanO

• Portland, OR
    • Portland State Aerospace Society
  • Liked: 60
  • Likes Given: 278
« Reply #145 on: 09/10/2013 10:59 pm »
Minor niggle:  the font size for preformatted text [pre & /pre tags] is rather small compared with teletype [tt & /tt tags] and the normal font.

This line is in preformatted text

This line is in teletype text

For example it has made William Graham's excellent consolidated launch schedule a tad more difficult to read:
http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=15134.msg1094915#msg1094915

EDIT: this might just be an artifact of the Firefox  browser (I'm using latest version 23.0.1) - the two texts look about the same size with Internet Explorer.
[ pre ] (Courier 10pt) is also much smaller than [ tt ] (Monaco 12pt) in the Safari browser.  tt looks a lot better!
« Last Edit: 09/10/2013 11:00 pm by IanO »
psas.pdx.edu

Offline clongton

• Expert
  • Connecticut
    • Direct Launcher
  • Liked: 7348
  • Likes Given: 3749
« Reply #146 on: 09/10/2013 11:28 pm »
Thanks for returning the Unread Topics selection :)
Chuck - DIRECT co-founder
I started my career on the Saturn-V F-1A engine

Offline mheney

• The Next Man on the Moon
  • Global Moderator
  • Silver Spring, MD
  • Liked: 398
  • Likes Given: 199
« Reply #147 on: 09/11/2013 01:01 am »
Can the "Quick Reply" bar be the same color as the "Topic" bar at the top?  i.e., make it yellow/orange in L2 to match the top bar?  It'd give an added touch of consistency (and an added reminder) to L2 pages.

Online Galactic Penguin SST

« Reply #148 on: 09/11/2013 01:04 am »
Are there any other people who have problems with replying to posts and attaching more than one image in each post? It seems that when doing this the reply was not posted and I was lead to the starting-a-new-thread page.  ???

Bumping this - anyone have the same problem?

Apparently someone else is reporting that it is no longer possible to upload files and photos without writing anything:

I've been testing things out and found that a major bug I've had with uploads is now gone with the cleanup.  ;)
Another item of note....you can't upload just photos without text in the box.

Can this be changed? This would affect all future launch/EVA/whatever updates threads......
Astronomy & spaceflight geek penguin. In a relationship w/ Space Shuttle Discovery. Current Priority: Chasing the Chinese Spaceflight Wonder Egg & A Certain Chinese Mars Rover

Offline rickl

• Pennsylvania, USA
  • Liked: 146
  • Likes Given: 150
« Reply #149 on: 09/11/2013 01:08 am »
Apparently someone else is reporting that it is no longer possible to upload files and photos without writing anything:

I've been testing things out and found that a major bug I've had with uploads is now gone with the cleanup.  ;)

Can this be changed? This would affect all future launch/EVA/whatever updates threads......

I learned tonight in the Soyuz TMA-08M thread that all you have to do is just put a period (.) in the text box, and then attach your photo.
« Last Edit: 09/11/2013 01:09 am by rickl »
The Space Age is just starting to get interesting.

Offline rickl

• Pennsylvania, USA
  • Liked: 146
  • Likes Given: 150
« Reply #150 on: 09/11/2013 01:45 am »
A couple of days ago I mentioned that the headings look right in the forum, but on the home page, the "Unmanned" and "Other" headings are on a second line, and the right sidebar displays underneath the main section.  I'm running Safari on a Mac.

With a little experimentation, I've found that I can fix it on my end in two ways:

A.  When I'm on the home page, I can click the "Zoom In" button at the top, and that makes the home page display properly.  But it only lasts as long as I have the window open.  If I close it and reopen it, it defaults to the two-line display.

B.  In Safari > Preferences > Advanced, my normal setting is "Never use font sizes smaller than 14".  If I change it to 12, the home page displays correctly.  But then the font on the forum pages is smaller than I prefer.

All in all, it's not a big problem, and I can work my way around it.  But there may be a way to tweak the home page width on NSF's end to make it slightly wider, which would make the problem go away.

Edit:  Now I'm wondering why I seem to get two spaces between paragraphs.  I've noticed that in my other comments as well.
« Last Edit: 09/11/2013 01:46 am by rickl »
The Space Age is just starting to get interesting.

Offline Lars_J

• California
  • Liked: 677
  • Likes Given: 195
« Reply #151 on: 09/11/2013 02:49 am »
I found a new issue with the forums - on an iPad or iPhone, clicking the browser 'back' button always requires TWO clicks. (Other webkit browser too perhaps?) I only see this behavior on this site, so presumably some JavaScript shenanigans is causing it to happen.

Additional info: the extra back click is only required if you let the page finish loading. If you press 'back' before the page has loaded, one click is sufficient. Definitely JavaScript related.

It looks like this is no longer a problem - thanks!  :)

Offline Ford Mustang

• Live Coverage Editor
  • Global Moderator
  • Virginia
    • Astro95Media
  • Liked: 375
  • Likes Given: 36
« Reply #152 on: 09/11/2013 03:46 am »

I learned tonight in the Soyuz TMA-08M thread that all you have to do is just put a period (.) in the text box, and then attach your photo.

Right, but in a quick moving environment - such as a launch thread - it's hard to have to put a period in first before clicking in rapid succession to upload the photo(s).  It is much easier without having to deal with the hassle of the period.

There was an issue at one time on the old forums when something was changed that the default setting with the period came back, but it was fixed shortly after.  I'm hoping this is the case here.

Offline catdlr

• Enthusiast since the Redstones
  • Marina del Rey, California, USA
  • Liked: 8822
  • Likes Given: 7826
« Reply #153 on: 09/11/2013 04:00 am »
Can the "Quick Reply" bar be the same color as the "Topic" bar at the top?  i.e., make it yellow/orange in L2 to match the top bar?  It'd give an added touch of consistency (and an added reminder) to L2 pages.

I've mistakenly posted incorrectly in L2 before and what I found so far on the new L2 format is not enough for me to stop from doing that again.  I think MHeney's suggestion is the best so far.  I would also change the Reply Button to the orange color was well as the Reply Banner in the Reply screen.
« Last Edit: 09/11/2013 04:02 am by catdlr »
Tony De La Rosa, ...I'm no Feline Dealer!! I move mountains.  but I'm better known for "I think it's highly sexual." Japanese to English Translation.

Offline Aobrien

• Tampa, Florida
  • Liked: 3
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #154 on: 09/11/2013 04:16 am »
I think it might be a bit confusing to have the forum home button with the same name right below the home button for the website both being named "home".
Don't have time to skim the thread to see if this was already pointed out. My personal suggestion would be to rename the main home button to "News" or the forum home button to "Forum Home"

-Aaron
NSF L2=The Ultimate Space Passport

Offline JBF

• Liked: 472
  • Likes Given: 914
« Reply #155 on: 09/11/2013 12:39 pm »
The search function seems a lot faster then it used to be.
"In principle, rocket engines are simple, but that’s the last place rocket engines are ever simple." Jeff Bezos

Offline IanO

• Portland, OR
    • Portland State Aerospace Society
  • Liked: 60
  • Likes Given: 278
« Reply #156 on: 09/11/2013 04:07 pm »
I found a new issue with the forums - on an iPad or iPhone, clicking the browser 'back' button always requires TWO clicks. (Other webkit browser too perhaps?) I only see this behavior on this site, so presumably some JavaScript shenanigans is causing it to happen.

Additional info: the extra back click is only required if you let the page finish loading. If you press 'back' before the page has loaded, one click is sufficient. Definitely JavaScript related.

It looks like this is no longer a problem - thanks!  :)
Confirmed, I no longer see duplicate entries in history as of last night. I guess it wasn't the Google ads problem, because I still see those security exceptions in the error log.
psas.pdx.edu

Offline RocketmanUS

• USA
  • Liked: 71
  • Likes Given: 31
« Reply #157 on: 09/11/2013 05:11 pm »
Fine in Chrome too.

Google Ads

Placement
https://support.google.com/adsense/answer/23921?hl=en
In the threads the upper or lower post from the Ad placement has the same back ground color.
At least one Ad looked as if it was part of the post. The back ground color should be set to another color other then the post's back ground color.

Also the Ad on the top right of the page on the News site is very close the the L2 ad below the Google Ad almost blends with it. The L2 ad cell should be dropped a little more, evenly spaced between the Google Ad and the menu bar. ( suggest you might want to add in the L2 ad that it is L2 ).

On the Forum site there is no Google Ad in the top right corner. Was that left out or was it meant to be there?

Already posted this part before but was looked over with your post above.

Cookies
https://support.google.com/adsense/answer/1348695
Haven't seen the third party cookies disclosure?
Not even at the bottom of the page.

Offline RocketmanUS

• USA
  • Liked: 71
  • Likes Given: 31
« Reply #158 on: 09/11/2013 05:28 pm »
PM's

Two sent  a few minutes apart after the new forum was up.
A copy of the replies , one from each of the twp posters PM'ed.
One copy sent to my email I got their response with their reply.
The other poster's reply in my email box was without their text , however it was in my PM in box.

Possibly an issue?

Offline Jester

• Administrator
  • Earth
  • Liked: 6533
  • Likes Given: 157
« Reply #159 on: 09/12/2013 06:34 pm »
Some remarks.

alignment issues fixed

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech