Author Topic: SpaceX Falcon 9 : Iridium NEXT Flight 4 : December 22/23, 2017 : Discussion  (Read 151113 times)

Offline meekGee

• N. California
  • Liked: 14046
  • Likes Given: 1392
We need some more space reporters out at Vandenberg. The successful static fire attempt wasn't even publicly posted as occurring. Very different than static fires occurring at the Cape.

When did the static fire ocurr?
Earlier today apparently.

Thus proving that things happen even while NSF is not paying attention.
ABCD - Always Be Counting Down

Offline Pete

• Cubicle
  • Liked: 1028
  • Likes Given: 395
We need some more space reporters out at Vandenberg. The successful static fire attempt wasn't even publicly posted as occurring. Very different than static fires occurring at the Cape.

The launch is happening on the "wrong" coast, thus as with all previous Vandenberg launches, it is virtually ignored in this forum.
I've seen the discussion get started less than 48 hours before the planned launch date.

By comparison, we have launch discussions for Florida that predate the launch by seasons, sometimes years.

I guess Vandy is just the unloved child in the family.
« Last Edit: 12/18/2017 07:04 am by Pete »

Online Galactic Penguin SST

An interesting possibility FYI cross-posting from the GCOM-C launch thread:

http://global.jaxa.jp/press/2017/10/20171027_h2af37.html

Launch of Global Changing Observation Mission - Climate "SHIKISAI" (GCOM-C)  and Super Low Altitude Test Satellite TSUBAME" (SLATS) aboard H-IIA Vehicle No. 37

October 27, 2017 (JST)

Mitsubishi Heavy Industries, Ltd.
National Research and Development Agency
Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency (JAXA)

Mitsubishi Heavy Industries, Ltd. (MHI) and the Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency (JAXA) are pleased to announce the launch schedule for Global Changing Observation Mission - Climate "SHIKISAI" (GCOM-C) and Super Low Altitude Test Satellite "TSUBAME" (SLATS) by H-IIA launch vehicle No. 37.

Scheduled date of Launch : December 23 (Sat.), 2017
Launch time                    : 10:26:22 a.m. through 10:48:22 a.m. (JST)
Reserved Launch period   : December 24 (Sun.), 2017 through January 31 (Wed.), 2018
Launch site                     : Yoshinobu Launch Complex at the tanegashima Space Center 

<snip>

And:
Note that as of right now, the start of the launch window for this falls on the exact same minute (!!!) as for the launch of Falcon 9/Iridium NEXT Flight 4 on the opposite side of the Pacific. IF (a very big one) this ultimately happens the two will be <=37 seconds apart, which will be an all time record:o

I very much doubt both will manage to hold on schedule to that point with 57 days left but.....one never knows for sure when will we need split screens.  ;) ;)

Technical info on GCOM-C can be found here, and for SLATS here.

Many weeks later and......this is still predicted to happen as of this writing. With the F9 settling on T-0 at 01:27:23 UTC the 2 launches will be 61 seconds apart if everything goes as planned (the H-IIA will launch first).  ;)
Astronomy & spaceflight geek penguin. In a relationship w/ Space Shuttle Discovery. Current Priority: Chasing the Chinese Spaceflight Wonder Egg & A Certain Chinese Mars Rover

Offline woods170

• IRAS fan
  • IRAS fan
  • The Netherlands
  • Liked: 18198
  • Likes Given: 12158

The launch is happening on the "wrong" coast, thus as with all previous Vandenberg launches, it is virtually ignored in this forum.
I've seen the discussion get started less than 48 hours before the planned launch date.

By comparison, we have launch discussions for Florida that predate the launch by seasons, sometimes years.

I guess Vandy is just the unloved child in the family.

Unloved child?

No, not really. Just relatively far away from easy public viewing, contrary to CCAFS.

Offline Helodriver

• Liked: 5971
  • Likes Given: 700
Vandenberg gets plenty of love from a few people in particular. Even then I didn't get a heads up about a static fire today. I also had Star Wars tickets. :)

Online FutureSpaceTourist

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
  • Liked: 81639
  • Likes Given: 36933
Tweet from Matt Desch:
My schedule, provided by SpaceX shows it as 5:27:23 PST...

I assume he meant 17:27:23 PST ...?!

Offline docmordrid

• Michigan
  • Liked: 4207
  • Likes Given: 2

Confirmation

SpaceX ✔ @SpaceX
Static fire test of Falcon 9 complete targeting December 22 launch of Iridium-4 from Vandenberg AFB in California.
6:49 PM - Dec 17, 2017
DM

Offline e of pi

• Pittsburgh, PA
  • Liked: 297
  • Likes Given: 406
Launch Four Iridium Emblem
I'm amused by the belt-and-suspenders approach to luck on this flight: the traditional clover leaf, plus a horseshoe, both hiding in Lady Liberty. :)

Offline JoeAlvord

• Liked: 4
  • Likes Given: 1
Launch Four Iridium Emblem
I'm amused by the belt-and-suspenders approach to luck on this flight: the traditional clover leaf, plus a horseshoe, both hiding in Lady Liberty. :)

Not as much as you might think.   The horseshoe is upside down.  All the good luck will drain out.  On the other hand, it will be in zero-G.

Offline hootowls

• Liked: 39
  • Likes Given: 1

Offline scdavis

• Liked: 174
  • Likes Given: 37
https://twitter.com/iridiumcomm/status/942830392092000256

This picture really puts the fairing into perspective. I knew it was large, but this gives a real feeling for just how large it really is! No wonder SpaceX  wants to recover it.

Edit: linking to the image attached by FutureSpaceTourist... hope I'm doing this right.

Mod edit:please attach images, not directly embedding them.
« Last Edit: 12/18/2017 07:33 pm by Ronsmytheiii »

Offline sevenperforce

• Liked: 969
  • Likes Given: 599
https://twitter.com/iridiumcomm/status/942830392092000256

This picture really puts the fairing into perspective. I knew it was large, but this gives a real feeling for just how large it really is! No wonder SpaceX  wants to recover it.

Edit: linking to the image attached by FutureSpaceTourist... hope I'm doing this right.
Poring over that photo for any glimpse of recovery hardware...

Offline FutureMartian97

A user on r/SpaceX is saying this core is flying expendable. Can anyone confirm this? And if its true, why? I know they are probably running out of room to store them but its still more data and more usable engines.

https://www.reddit.com/r/spacex/comments/7cgts7/iridium_next_constellation_mission_4_launch/drg64bk/

Offline IanThePineapple

A user on r/SpaceX is saying this core is flying expendable. Can anyone confirm this? And if its true, why? I know they are probably running out of room to store them but its still more data and more usable engines.

https://www.reddit.com/r/spacex/comments/7cgts7/iridium_next_constellation_mission_4_launch/drg64bk/

He said he got the info from a friend at Vandy. I'm still thinking it's unlikely to be going expendable, but this comment, even if the guy isn't proven reliable, might challenge that.

Offline virnin

• Kansas
  • Liked: 46
  • Likes Given: 67

He said he got the info from a friend at Vandy. I'm still thinking it's unlikely to be going expendable, but this comment, even if the guy isn't proven reliable, might challenge that.

Potentially just a huge misinterpretation.

Poster:  Are they going to land the booster at Vandy?

Friend:  No, they aren't going to land it here.

Poster: Then it must be expendable!

Offline Jdeshetler

• Silicon Valley, CA
  • Liked: 3673
  • Likes Given: 3551
Inside source at Iridium said it does have a merit and yet it is up to SpaceX to confirm it.

Offline Nomadd

• Lower 48
  • Liked: 60430
  • Likes Given: 1305
 It could just be a matter of the barge not being available for some reason.
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.

Offline leetdan

• Space Coast
  • Liked: 323
  • Likes Given: 282

The phrase "does not have the grid fins and landing legs" doesn't really lend itself to misinterpretation ;)

Offline Wolfram66

The phrase "does not have the grid fins and landing legs" doesn't really lend itself to misinterpretation ;)

This from Spaceflight101.com http://spaceflight101.com/spacex-falcon-9-completes-static-fire-test-for-year-closing-launch/

Appears to have both fins and legs. Alas, this is from the first flight of B1036, hence the freshly painted appearance & no sooty goodness
« Last Edit: 12/19/2017 02:32 am by Wolfram66 »

Offline IanThePineapple

This from Spaceflight101.com http://spaceflight101.com/spacex-falcon-9-completes-static-fire-test-for-year-closing-launch/

Appears to have both fins and legs. #QED. Unless the photo posted is a file photo..

Nope, that's a pic from Iridium 2.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography