Author Topic: NASA - Before Powerpoints  (Read 9738 times)

Offline Chris Bergin

NASA - Before Powerpoints
« on: 07/30/2013 02:10 pm »
Friend of mine sent me this:

http://mathedconcepts.com/2013/06/07/photo-of-the-day-6713-pre-powerpoint-nasa-c-1960s/

Anyone know what's being worked on here? :)
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline Blackstar

• Veteran
  • Liked: 7828
  • Likes Given: 2
Re: NASA - Before Powerpoints
« Reply #1 on: 07/30/2013 02:21 pm »
There is a really neat photo that I've seen of a planning facility at Grumman when they were working on the Lunar Module. It was a large wall covered with flow charts, with people on ladders working on them. The wall was easily 100 feet long and 20 feet tall. It was reminiscent of operations centers during WWII.
« Last Edit: 07/30/2013 04:13 pm by Blackstar »

Offline simonbp

• Science Guy
  • Liked: 314
  • Likes Given: 183
« Reply #2 on: 07/30/2013 03:08 pm »

Oh, they are just writing down all the equations to determine position versus time for a simple Keplerian orbit. The top bit (in yellow) is using Kepler's equation to determine the position on a 2D orbit, the white in middle then applies that to a 3D orbit in equatorial coordinates, and then the bottom yellow puts everything in an explicit form that they could stick in the computer.

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #3 on: 07/30/2013 04:59 pm »

Oh, they are just writing down all the equations to determine position versus time for a simple Keplerian orbit. The top bit (in yellow) is using Kepler's equation to determine the position on a 2D orbit, the white in middle then applies that to a 3D orbit in equatorial coordinates, and then the bottom yellow puts everything in an explicit form that they could stick in the computer.

Thanks!

And Blackstar, if there are pictures of that wall at Grumman, I'm sure we'd all love to see them.
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline Archibald

• Liked: 500
  • Likes Given: 1096
« Reply #4 on: 07/31/2013 12:39 pm »
Doing maths atop a ladder... would be twice a nightmare for me (vertigo + math-proof brain = a very bad combination)
Han shot first and Gwynne Shotwell !

Offline DMeader

• Liked: 103
  • Likes Given: 48
« Reply #5 on: 07/31/2013 10:58 pm »
They're trying to work out where to go for lunch.

Offline stargazerken73

• NGC891
  • Fort Meade, Florida, USA
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #6 on: 08/01/2013 02:31 am »
I remember solving those equations about 10 years ago in my Introduction to Celestial Mechanics class. Please do not ask me to re-work them, I have not used them in as many years.
Elegant equations none the less.

Offline Melt Run

• Liked: 2
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #7 on: 08/01/2013 03:06 pm »
This is a great photo that bringing back the days of chalk talks. I recall an interview with IBM when it was made very clear that the "uniform" seen in the photo was the expected uniform.
As much as it convays the tenor of the "old days" I have to believe it is a totally staged photo. First no one would choose to have a board that required you to climb a ladder when you could rotate the board. 
I have to believe that the portrait format fits Life's page format (Life in bottom right).
Also note that it is set up in the parking lot with parking lines at the bottom of the photo and sun shadows around the ladder.
Like it anyway.

Offline John Charles

• Houston (Clear Lake), Texas, USA
    • AstroCryptoTriviology
  • Liked: 4
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #8 on: 08/01/2013 03:29 pm »
Also note that it is set up in the parking lot with parking lines at the bottom of the photo and sun shadows around the ladder.
Like it anyway.

Good eye--obviously staged, as were many of LIFE's most memorable photos. But it got the message across in a single image--hard to do.
John Charles
Houston, Texas

Offline Patchouli

• Liked: 253
  • Likes Given: 457
« Reply #9 on: 08/01/2013 04:25 pm »
This is a great photo that bringing back the days of chalk talks. I recall an interview with IBM when it was made very clear that the "uniform" seen in the photo was the expected uniform.
As much as it convays the tenor of the "old days" I have to believe it is a totally staged photo. First no one would choose to have a board that required you to climb a ladder when you could rotate the board. 
I have to believe that the portrait format fits Life's page format (Life in bottom right).
Like it anyway.

Yah I see it too.

Though what's ironic is it seemed people got things done in a more timely fashion back then.
 I wonder if Powerpoint is actually an anti-productivity tool?

Offline Proponent

• Liked: 2782
  • Likes Given: 1462
« Reply #10 on: 08/01/2013 05:28 pm »

I don't wonder about that at all; I'm certain of it.

Offline Lurker Steve

• Liked: 35
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #11 on: 08/01/2013 05:57 pm »
Like it anyway.

Yah I see it too.

Though what's ironic is it seemed people got things done in a more timely fashion back then.

Actually, we lost the coats and ties about the same time as they out-lawed smoking at your desk. While I appreciate not smelling like a chimney after a day of work, I'm sure that has also proven to be anti-productive.

Offline Patchouli

• Liked: 253
  • Likes Given: 457
« Reply #12 on: 08/01/2013 06:17 pm »

I don't wonder about that at all; I'm certain of it.

I agree with a chalk board or white board anyone can go up to it and add their input in real time with power point you're mostly just passively watching during the presentation.

Plus there's a the time issue how long does it take to write something on a white board vs make a power point?

It reminds me a joke I read about where a Russian commander said during the Bosnian conflict to an American commander.
"if you were fighting us we'd be killing your while you're making this stuff."

« Last Edit: 08/01/2013 06:19 pm by Patchouli »

Offline R7

• Propulsophile
    • Don't worry.. we can still be fans of OSC and SNC
  • Liked: 992
  • Likes Given: 668
« Reply #13 on: 08/01/2013 06:52 pm »
How about overhead projectors? Weren't those the Powerpoint predecessors before affordable LCD projectors began to emerge. Only exception that anyone who could write and draw could easily create slides/transparencies and edit them on the fly if needed.

AD·ASTRA·ASTRORVM·GRATIA

Offline gladiator1332

• Fort Myers, FL
  • Liked: 7
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #14 on: 08/01/2013 07:47 pm »
How about overhead projectors? Weren't those the Powerpoint predecessors before affordable LCD projectors began to emerge. Only exception that anyone who could write and draw could easily create slides/transparencies and edit them on the fly if needed.

Oh god, ugly flashback to grade school learning basic algebra on overhead projectors. They probably have those "smart boards" now in a lot of schools.

Offline Archibald

• Liked: 500
  • Likes Given: 1096
« Reply #15 on: 08/02/2013 06:52 am »
ugly flashback to grade school learning basic algebra on overhead projectors

provided with an ugly math teacher, the most stubborn and insincere creature in the whole universe. Bleh.
« Last Edit: 08/02/2013 06:53 am by Archibald »
Han shot first and Gwynne Shotwell !

Offline JimOman

« Reply #16 on: 08/02/2013 08:07 am »
ugly flashback to grade school learning basic algebra on overhead projectors

provided with an ugly math teacher, the most stubborn and insincere creature in the whole universe. Bleh.

The same still applies. Except my last calc teacher....  :o
NASA National Collegiate Aerospace Scholars, 2010
CSE Student Rep, Congress 2012, 13, 14

Offline R7

• Propulsophile
    • Don't worry.. we can still be fans of OSC and SNC
  • Liked: 992
  • Likes Given: 668
« Reply #17 on: 08/02/2013 08:40 am »
They are supposed to be ugly so that you pay attention to the teaching and learn math instead of young restless minds wandering elsewhere. Here's example of failure:

AD·ASTRA·ASTRORVM·GRATIA

Offline kevin-rf

• Elite Veteran
  • Overlooking the path Mary's little Lamb took..
  • Liked: 1318
  • Likes Given: 306
« Reply #18 on: 08/02/2013 06:30 pm »

Oh god, ugly flashback to grade school learning basic algebra on overhead projectors. They probably have those "smart boards" now in a lot of schools.

My wife who teaches in a "well funded" school district still teaches with one. They where promised "smart boards" about a decade ago, and are still using white boards.
If you're happy and you know it,
It's your med's!

Offline simonbp

• Science Guy
  • Liked: 314
  • Likes Given: 183
« Reply #19 on: 08/03/2013 02:18 pm »
Good; "smart boards" are a gimmicky waste of money. A good quality projector/screen next to a white board is my ideal teaching environment. School boards pay vast sums of money on smart boards thinking that it's worth it; it's not.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography