Author Topic: EELV-derived LRBs for shuttle stack type systems (Ares V, DIRECT, etc) ?  (Read 21471 times)

Offline Lobo

• Spokane, WA
  • Liked: 672
  • Likes Given: 437
The Energia 2 core also would have been a very fluffy vehicle so reentry may not be so bad for it.
Angara though in someways reminds me of Falcon in it's design philosophy.

Well, I'm sure it could be made to survive reentry and land safely.  But what I mean is the reburbishment costs of the Shuttle between flights was FAR more expensive than originally envisioned.  Having to replace the tires, refurb the engines, etc take a long time and lots of money.  That's why STS never became the "once a week" flier it was originally envisioned to be.  They just needed to have to do too much to it between flights to get it ready.
If Energia 2 was not launching humans, then it's turn around time and costs might be more reasonable.  But then again, it'd have a lot more tiles to inspect and replace than the Shuttle because of how large it is.

EDIT:
"Having to replace the -tiles-".  Not 'tires'.  I'm sure new tires don't cost that much.
« Last Edit: 06/26/2009 06:09 pm by Lobo »

Offline Crispy

• London
  • Liked: 783
  • Likes Given: 51
But then, being fluffy, would it even need complicated tile TPS at all?

Offline Lobo

• Spokane, WA
  • Liked: 672
  • Likes Given: 437
But then, being fluffy, would it even need complicated tile TPS at all?

Yea, probably.

Maybe it would be fuffy and bulbous enough that it could sort slowly float in like a baloon.   ;-)

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography