Author Topic: The CRS-3/SpX-3 - Dragon, Suit Up! - Party Thread  (Read 278888 times)

Offline Sean Lynch

Re: The CRS-3/SpX-3 - Dragon, Suit Up! - Party Thread
« Reply #640 on: 04/30/2014 10:52 am »
It will be coming in closer to the shore.

"It's OK, I can backstroke in from here".

It has legs, after all.

Cheers, Martin
"I'm getting closer to my home" came to mind...
Grand Funk Railrod: "I'm Your Captain"

"Space is open to us now; and our eagerness to share its meaning is not governed by the efforts of others."
-JFK May 25, 1961

Offline AJA

• Per Aspera Ad Ares, Per Aspera Ad Astra
  • India
  • Liked: 146
  • Likes Given: 212
« Reply #641 on: 04/30/2014 11:44 am »
Boys all around the world are currently thanking Elon Musk and SpaceX. This is why.

"Go clean your room!"
"Aargh...FINE"

<A week later>

"What are you doing?"
"YOU told me to clean my room!"
"..it takes you a week?"
"If it wasn't THAT dirty, and didn't need THAT much cleaning, you wouldn't be THAT irritated now would you?"
"Alright alright.. fine... finish it up"

<Days later...>

"I thought I told you to clean your room!"
"It is clean!"
"By what standard?"
"By SpaceX standards. By wildly successful CEO standards. By Elon Musk standards."
"Wha..."

<Boy opens SpaceX.com on his laptop, and points to RAW and CLEANED up versions of CRS-3 Booster Splashdown.>

EDIT: Crowdsourcing corollary

"I don't care. That's not clean"
"Fine then... I dare anyone to clean it up more... In addition to forever earning your praise, I'll even give them my allowance.."
« Last Edit: 04/30/2014 11:47 am by AJA »

Offline Elvis in Space

• Elvis is Everywhere
  • Still on Earth
  • Liked: 771
  • Likes Given: 6319
« Reply #642 on: 04/30/2014 11:50 am »

"Return to sender"
"Return to Me"

Either one of those is very cool but I'll confess to a bit of bias.  8)
Cheeseburgers on Mars!

Offline Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
  • A large LEGO storage facility ... in Michigan
  • Liked: 11864
  • Likes Given: 11086
« Reply #643 on: 05/01/2014 03:46 pm »
Ok (and this is probably a bad idea but...)

Whoever posts the most outlandish but yet still physically possible suggestion will be gifted with a 10 USD credit at my BrickLink store... my judgment final and I'll PM the winner.

Edit: for those curious, here's the link. At least one clever person found it already without help.. http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?p=lar  I guess having the ID "lar" was kind of a giveaway? :)

And... we have our winner. Go4mars with...

Gass challenges Musk to a boxing match.  Musk counter-proposes chess-boxing.  Gas counter-proposes Chess-boxing on roller-skates.  Musk accepts.  If Musk wins, ULA will hire SpaceX to develop RD 180 replacement.  If Gass wins, Musk never again implies monopoly, or points out the billion dollar annual subsidy.  Highest pay-per-view sales ever, not counting the higher-stakes re-match where they select each others costumes first.

There were a lot of REALLY great suggestions including a fair few I'd really like to see come to pass[1]...

1 - this isn't one of them (shudder) but it's clearly very outlandish.
"I think it would be great to be born on Earth and to die on Mars. Just hopefully not at the point of impact." -Elon Musk
"We're a little bit like the dog who caught the bus" - Musk after CRS-8 S1 successfully landed on ASDS OCISLY

Offline mheney

• The Next Man on the Moon
  • Global Moderator
  • Silver Spring, MD
  • Liked: 398
  • Likes Given: 199
« Reply #644 on: 05/01/2014 04:45 pm »
How about "Baby Come Back" by Player (1970)?

Offline Prober

• Save the spin....I'm keeping you honest!
  • Nevada
  • Liked: 721
  • Likes Given: 729
« Reply #645 on: 05/01/2014 08:02 pm »
Got to share this, but I just received an e-mail from a journalist (not a space beat reporter, mass media) who's clearly watching this thread.....

>----- Original Message -----

Traditional media always says print first - retract later. Just get the headline. Today's 15 minute news cycle only made that worse. This guy doesn't understand that we here are not motivated by tabloid journalism but actually learning the truth. Treating our sources as friends and not hosts for our parasitic behaviors will keep them as sources who can trust us as well as we can trust them.

That's why traditional news is all about what clothes someone had on last night etc.  No real news......and they don't check any sources anymore.   Blogs are factual  :(
2017 - Everything Old is New Again.
"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant..." --Isoroku Yamamoto

Offline Lars_J

• California
  • Liked: 677
  • Likes Given: 195
« Reply #646 on: 05/01/2014 08:05 pm »
'That's why traditional news is all about what clothes someone had on last night etc.  No real news......and they don't check any sources anymore.   Blogs are factual  :(

Blogs are factual? Ha! :D

Offline Antares

• ABO^2
  • Done arguing with amateurs
  • Liked: 371
  • Likes Given: 228
« Reply #647 on: 05/02/2014 03:05 am »
That's why traditional news is all about what clothes someone had on last night etc.  No real news......and they don't check any sources anymore.   Blogs are factual  :(

If this is the party thread, someone must have spiked the brownies.
If I like something on NSF, it's probably because I know it to be accurate.  Every once in a while, it's just something I agree with.  Facts generally receive the former.

Offline SVBarnard

• USA
  • Liked: 17
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #648 on: 05/02/2014 05:55 am »
can someone please explain to me why spacex still hasn't released the footage they got from their airplane? Why are they being so secretive about it? I mean seeing is believing so why not just release the footage and prove to everyone in the world they really accomplished such an unprecedented feat?

Offline Jarnis

• Liked: 830
  • Likes Given: 201
« Reply #649 on: 05/02/2014 05:58 am »
can someone please explain to me why spacex still hasn't released the footage they got from their airplane? Why are they being so secretive about it? I mean seeing is believing so why not just release the footage and prove to everyone in the world they really accomplished such an unprecedented feat?

Weather was terribad. There is no indication that the plane had a visual on the stage. It was there to receive telemetry.

(and in previous case, with CASSIOPE, they opted not to release the footage because the stage went poo-poo due to aerodynamic torque spinning it up)

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography