Author Topic: Following NSF and the Space Program on WAP and Mobile  (Read 36866 times)

Offline mark147

• Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Following NSF and the Space Program on WAP and Mobile
« Reply #60 on: 07/10/2009 11:13 pm »
At the bottom of page when viewing a thread, there's a link to the "Simple Machines" web site that's perilously close to the NEXT button.  I find I frequently miss just slightly and get sent off somewhere I don't want to go.

I increased the spacing a little, let me know if this is enough.

That's plenty - in fact half that would be fine and might look better.

Offline mark147

« Reply #61 on: 07/13/2009 12:28 pm »
Slightly off topic, but iPhone users might be interested in this test site from Akamai which currently includes live streaming of NasaTV for the iPhone at bitrates up to around 800 kbps.

Offline lbiderman

• Going where no Uruguayan has gone before
  • Buenos Aires - Argentina
    • Mars Society Argentina
  • Liked: 64
  • Likes Given: 24
« Reply #62 on: 07/13/2009 01:05 pm »
The portal is great! One question though, I donīt seem to be able to see the attached pictures, is that normal?
"If I wanted to lead a bunch of robots that could only follow orders, I would have joined the Army!"
Captain Alvarez (Uruguay Marine Corps) in Congo (MONUC Deployment), March 2007

Offline AGC

• Apollo Guidance Computer (AGC) Display-Keyboard
  • Ohio
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #63 on: 07/13/2009 01:57 pm »
Slightly off topic, but iPhone users might be interested in this test site from Akamai which currently includes live streaming of NasaTV for the iPhone at bitrates up to around 800 kbps.
Many thanks for the Akamai link.  I've looked everywhere for a stable stream of NASA TV for iPhone. This even seems to work on 3G! Let's hope Akamai maintains this site.

Offline Crispy

• London
  • Liked: 783
  • Likes Given: 51
« Reply #64 on: 07/13/2009 02:27 pm »
TVUplayer also carries the NASA TV stream

Offline AGC

• Apollo Guidance Computer (AGC) Display-Keyboard
  • Ohio
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #65 on: 07/13/2009 02:34 pm »
TVUplayer also carries the NASA TV stream
I've used it but it only works on WiFi and the audio is never synced (at least that's been my experience). Still, it's another option that others with iPhones might find useful. Good you mentioned it.

Offline ChrisC

• Veteran
  • Liked: 1561
  • Likes Given: 1749
« Reply #66 on: 07/14/2009 01:33 am »
I think I've found a bug in the WAP implementation.  I used this heavily while at KSC during the STS-119 launch.  When I'm at the last page of a forum thread, it'll say something like "page 7/7".  Then when someone posts another comment, and I reload, I'll see "page 7/8", and I SHOULD see a "next page" link (and arrow link) but do not; I can't get past page 7.  I think it's only after there's TWO comments on the next page that the links kick in.  It seems that there's an offset-by-one bug in there.

Bumping this up because it's still a problem.  What I reported earlier this year is still broken.  Dunno about the bug that Andrewwski reported right after mine.  Note that I'm NOT in iPhone mode, just a regular blackberry viewer.

Took me a while to find this thread to post my re-request!

Edit:  apologies, messed up my post references, fixed above.
« Last Edit: 07/14/2009 02:53 am by ChrisC »
PSA #1: EST does NOT mean "Eastern Time".  Use "Eastern" or "ET" instead, all year round, and avoid this common error.  Google "EST vs EDT".
PSA #2: It's and its: know the difference and quietly impress grammar pedants.  Google "angry flower its" .  *** See profile for two more NSF forum tips. ***

Offline NSF Webmaster

• Administrator
  • Almere, The Netherlands
    • NASASpaceFlight.com
  • Liked: 219
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #67 on: 07/14/2009 10:24 pm »
When I'm at the last page of a forum thread, it'll say something like "page 7/7". 

After receiving a couple of comments about this I actually experienced it myself (FINALLY) when browsing the forum on my iPhone yesterday. I already have some clues about the cause but give my Tiger team some time to investigate ;-)

Thanks for bringing it up again.

Offline ChrisC

• Veteran
« Reply #68 on: 07/15/2009 04:28 am »
Well, I just realized that I will be stuck in a meeting at scheduled liftoff time tomorrow.  I'll be checking for news here via Blackberry.  Fortunately, this bug isn't much of a problem when there's heavy post activity, since you just have to wait a minute or two at most for another post to push past this paging problem.
PSA #1: EST does NOT mean "Eastern Time".  Use "Eastern" or "ET" instead, all year round, and avoid this common error.  Google "EST vs EDT".
PSA #2: It's and its: know the difference and quietly impress grammar pedants.  Google "angry flower its" .  *** See profile for two more NSF forum tips. ***

Offline Antares

• ABO^2
  • Done arguing with amateurs
  • Liked: 371
  • Likes Given: 228
« Reply #69 on: 07/15/2009 04:45 am »
Similar problem. It says 44 of 45. I click next and it doesn't switch pages. Edit: now that I'm back on the full version, I see there isn't actually a 45th page.  I also tried the "jump to" function as a work-around.  It too said there were 45 pages on that thread, and so obviously would not go there when I tried.

Also when I reply with a quote and the quote is bigger than the reply box, I can't get down below the quote. Maybe an iPod limitation or I need to pay to upgrade to 3.0.
« Last Edit: 07/15/2009 05:38 am by Antares »
If I like something on NSF, it's probably because I know it to be accurate.  Every once in a while, it's just something I agree with.  Facts generally receive the former.

Offline Chandonn

• Extreme Veteran
  • "Pudding!!! UNLIMITED Rice Pudding!!!"
  • Lexington, Ky
  • Liked: 13
  • Likes Given: 17
« Reply #70 on: 07/15/2009 10:52 am »
Similar problem. It says 44 of 45. I click next and it doesn't switch pages. Edit: now that I'm back on the full version, I see there isn't actually a 45th page.  I also tried the "jump to" function as a work-around.  It too said there were 45 pages on that thread, and so obviously would not go there when I tried.

Also when I reply with a quote and the quote is bigger than the reply box, I can't get down below the quote. Maybe an iPod limitation or I need to pay to upgrade to 3.0.

Same problem on my iPAQ...

And all this time I thought it just meant a post was in the process of pending.  Minor annoyance, really.  I generally just refresh the "Unread Post" page and start again...
« Last Edit: 07/15/2009 10:53 am by Chandonn »

Offline NSF Webmaster

• Administrator
    • NASASpaceFlight.com
« Reply #71 on: 07/23/2009 10:41 pm »
If anyone still experiences the 'missing page' issue (on either the Iphone format or the regular one), please let me know and try to include the hyperlink (right click, and select 'copy link location') of the last (read:missing) page

Offline mark147

« Reply #72 on: 07/30/2009 11:13 pm »
I'm seeing another bug on the iPhone - if I click a link in a post, e.g. a link to a Nasa execute package in one of the STS-127 live threads, the link opens in a new Safari page but when I close it, I find that the original page has gone to the 'post reply' page as if I had clicked elsewhere on the post.

This is particularly frustrating as there isn't a button to cancel the post and return to the thread. Can you fix this?

Offline NSF Webmaster

• Administrator
    • NASASpaceFlight.com
« Reply #73 on: 07/31/2009 12:28 am »
Thanks for bringing it up. I can reproduce it here and fill try to fix it asap. For now it seems you can use the regular 'Back' button in Safari, when you're on the 'Reply' page to return to where you were,

Offline ChrisC

• Veteran
« Reply #74 on: 07/31/2009 02:59 pm »
The "phantom next page" bug I reported appears to be fixed!  I monitored the landing live thread from my Blackberry, and there were several times when there was just one post on the last page and I WAS able to get to that page.  Previously I'd have to wait until the 2nd post before I could get to it.  I verified this 3 different times.  Thanks!

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography