Author Topic: SpaceX McGregor Testing Updates and Discussion (Thread 4)  (Read 531515 times)

Offline Robotbeat

• Minnesota
  • Liked: 25240
  • Likes Given: 12115
Re: SpaceX McGregor Testing Updates and Discussion (Thread 4)
« Reply #60 on: 02/04/2016 07:51 pm »
it could just be different versions of Merlin.
Chris  Whoever loves correction loves knowledge, but he who hates reproof is stupid.

To the maximum extent practicable, the Federal Government shall plan missions to accommodate the space transportation services capabilities of United States commercial providers. US law http://goo.gl/YZYNt0

Offline eriblo

• Sweden
  • Liked: 1670
  • Likes Given: 270
« Reply #61 on: 02/04/2016 09:36 pm »
There does not appear to be an extension in the video (much easier to see during shutdown than ignition). Note that if you compare the SL and Vac versions of 1C it seems like the Vac is fairly over expanded already without any extension (it's much wider than the full nozzle of the SL version).

Offline Kabloona

• Velocitas Eradico
  • Fortress of Solitude
  • Liked: 3429
  • Likes Given: 741
« Reply #62 on: 02/04/2016 10:13 pm »
There does not appear to be an extension in the video (much easier to see during shutdown than ignition).

You're right, I hadn't seen the end of the video, only the start.

Online docmordrid

• Michigan
  • Liked: 4207
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #63 on: 02/04/2016 10:16 pm »
That video is dated March 7, 2009. Definitely not current.
DM

Online docmordrid

• Michigan
« Reply #64 on: 02/05/2016 12:38 am »
New test

Video from SpaceX Facebook member Keith Wallace

« Last Edit: 02/09/2016 01:54 pm by Chris Bergin »
DM

Online docmordrid

• Michigan
« Reply #65 on: 02/07/2016 06:42 am »
And another long test. Sounds like it started well before the video did.

Video from SpaceX Facebook member Keith Wallace

« Last Edit: 02/09/2016 01:55 pm by Chris Bergin »
DM

Offline Jcc

• Liked: 404
  • Likes Given: 203
« Reply #66 on: 02/07/2016 06:38 pm »
A thought crossed my mind.. I think SpaceX will not try to recover any He from returned stages. But what about after the full duration burn tests?

Offline hrissan

• Novosibirsk, Russia
  • Liked: 325
  • Likes Given: 2432
« Reply #67 on: 02/07/2016 09:12 pm »
A thought crossed my mind.. I think SpaceX will not try to recover any He from returned stages. But what about after the full duration burn tests?
It is not apparent that designing and operating system to recover He costs less than recovered Helium. Take into account that helium SpaceX uses is most likely certified by provider to adhere to some (many?) standards, so if you recover you should also make a system to certify that recovered He is pure enough etc, otherwise risking to damage rocket hardware.

And all those efforts to save ~25% of fuel cost (I did calculations in 2014 prices assuming 3atm final ullage pressure).

BTW you are going to drop He in 5-10 years anyway so your efforts are dead end.

Offline Space Ghost 1962

• Whatcha gonna do when the Ghost zaps you?
  • Liked: 2925
  • Likes Given: 2247
« Reply #68 on: 02/07/2016 11:01 pm »
Question - just was thinking - How can they test the vacuum version of the 1D? Doesn't the large nozzle create instabilities in atmosphere?

To properly test an US engine you do so in a vacuum test stand. These are huge and costly, and many have issues with how well they simulate the environment for the system under test. The principle advantages are of testing ignition and restart, as well as tweaking certain parts of engine performance.

For the most part, SX appears to test on the regular stands like with booster engines - for duration and proper/repeatable operation.

As to large expansion nozzles, first, the nozzle extension is probably the "lowest tech" part of the engine,  so not the part you need to test quite so much to flight qualify. As to testing nozzle extensions separately, depends on what you are testing for - durability/burn through/expansion/thrust/stability. Keep in mind that the nozzle is very much meant to function in an "non ground" environment.

Also, restart testing on orbit seems to be how they work out most of the Merlin Vac issues, as from the first flights.

Online sdsds

• “With peace and hope for all mankind.”
  • Seattle
  • Liked: 2050
  • Likes Given: 1962
« Reply #69 on: 02/07/2016 11:19 pm »
Also, restart testing on orbit seems to be how they work out most of the Merlin Vac issues, as from the first flights.

I agree that flight testing is probably adhering as closely as possible to the adage, "Test like you fly; fly like you test."

Previous notions of testing have dealt with "all up" versus incremental test approaches. I note with interest that a reusable first stage booster makes for a "sea change" in the possibilities for initial testing of new upper stages and upper stage engines....
— 𝐬𝐝𝐒𝐝𝐬 —

Offline SeriousCallersOnly

• San Diego
  • Liked: 10
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #70 on: 03/01/2016 03:09 am »
So I'm in a hotel in McGregor. Heard something loud run for a few minutes about 10pm local time.

By the way can someone tell me where to go to take some pics without being run off by security?

Offline rickyramjet

• Killeen, TX
  • Liked: 106
  • Likes Given: 78

Offline CraigLieb

• Dallas Fort Worth
  • Liked: 1349
  • Likes Given: 2394
« Reply #72 on: 03/03/2016 05:48 pm »
Pics 2_27_16
Only had an iPhone and emailed it which lowered resolution.
So I was surprised that the stage is not on the milk-stand. Is it just brought to vertical and then moved there?

Wide shot establishes what I could see from the closest place I could find that wasn't gated off
 - along the East/west portion of county road 310. This connects to country road 311 but they had that gated and locked.  Had a view of grasshopper  (left of vertical stage) from here too!

Dragon Fly crane was empty...

Lesson: bring a real camera with zoom next time.
« Last Edit: 03/03/2016 05:49 pm by CraigLieb »
On the ground floor of the National Space Foundation... Colonize Mars!

Offline Paul_G

So I was surprised that the stage is not on the milk-stand. Is it just brought to vertical and then moved there?

The common assumption is that the Milk Stand has not been modified for the Full Thrust version of F9 that is now flying, and the new ground level launch stand that the stage is mounted on in your pictures is the only current facility that supports full thrust testing.

Paul

Offline JoerTex

• Austin, Texas
  • Liked: 432
  • Likes Given: 482
« Reply #74 on: 03/16/2016 01:15 am »
Just returning to Austin via I-10.  Construction on the highway, especially the bridges East of Tucson, must be causing grief with trucking cores to McGregor for testing.  Several places had max-load widths that will constrain Falcon stages.

Offline daver

• Regular
  • South Carolina
  • Liked: 103
  • Likes Given: 951
« Reply #75 on: 03/27/2016 06:42 pm »
There is some drone footage of SpaceX McGregor on youtube from 3/26/2016   Source is Tim Dodd Photography. 
« Last Edit: 03/27/2016 06:43 pm by daver »

Offline TomTX

• Austin
  • Liked: 25
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #76 on: 04/02/2016 01:26 pm »
Just returning to Austin via I-10.  Construction on the highway, especially the bridges East of Tucson, must be causing grief with trucking cores to McGregor for testing.  Several places had max-load widths that will constrain Falcon stages.

I talked to a local TxDOT inspector, and apparently there is a work zone on US 79 where SpaceX will have to shift (and shift back) miles of barrels for each first stage transport. No other viable route apparently - his area fought to NOT have the workzone disrupted, but were overruled by Austin.

I believe it's the project from near the Freestone county line into Palestine.

Does anyone have a good map of the routing SpaceX takes with their first stage loads?

Offline mme

• Santa Barbara, CA, USA, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Virgo Supercluster
  • Liked: 2034
  • Likes Given: 5381
« Reply #77 on: 04/13/2016 09:14 am »
I saw this photo of an F9 arriving at McGregor on the Facebook SpaceX enthusiast page

https://i.imgur.com/hFy9Seg.jpg

It was later tagged as Eutelsat.  Seems like SpaceX may be picking up the pace for realz. :)

photo credit: Leann Carr Bowden on Facebook
« Last Edit: 04/13/2016 11:46 am by Chris Bergin »
Space is not Highlander.  There can, and will, be more than one.

Online Toastmastern

• Liked: 41
  • Likes Given: 216
« Reply #78 on: 04/13/2016 11:06 am »
I saw this photo of an F9 arriving at McGregor on the Facebook SpaceX enthusiast page

It was later tagged as Eutelsat.  Seems like SpaceX may be picking up the pace for realz. :)

The question I want answered is if F9-024 have had its static fire at McGregor yet
« Last Edit: 04/13/2016 11:47 am by Chris Bergin »

Online Chris Bergin

The question I want answered is if F9-024 have had its static fire at McGregor yet

Meant to ask about that...will get on it. And yeah, that's absolutely the next stage....as JCSAT's was last seen on the test stand a while back, pre-CRS-8 launch.

https://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2016/03/spacex-prepares-two-missions-mcgregor/

I would totally assume the firing will have taken place by now, but it needs to be confirmed.
« Last Edit: 04/13/2016 11:47 am by Chris Bergin »
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography