Author Topic: Indian Human Spaceflight Program  (Read 410273 times)

Offline sanman

• Liked: 1312
  • Likes Given: 8
Re: Indian Human Spaceflight Program
« Reply #20 on: 12/25/2012 05:00 am »
Interesting - so will the circumference/diameter of PS4 stage suggest the circumference/diameter of the Indian crew capsule?

Offline Galactic Penguin SST

« Reply #21 on: 12/25/2012 05:13 am »
Hmm..... looks like the Indian manned spacecraft is currently ahead of many of the American spacecrafts under design.  ::) However I don't have too many good things to say about it: the "Gemini / Soyuz DC on steroids" design is too limited in capability to do anything more than a few days of flying around in space (although this seems to be the point anyway), the rocket that it should go on has not log a full success since 2004 (!), and money for it is lacking (which means any human flights would be a decade away, as indicated by ISRO officials). Remember that even China took more than 10 years to get a man in space with the full support of the government....

I wonder why ISRO hasn't thought of contributing to the ISS program? It would have let them got a taste of human spaceflight experience before they go something bigger.....
Astronomy & spaceflight geek penguin. In a relationship w/ Space Shuttle Discovery. Current Priority: Chasing the Chinese Spaceflight Wonder Egg & A Certain Chinese Mars Rover

Offline sanman

« Reply #22 on: 12/25/2012 05:39 am »
I wonder why ISRO hasn't thought of contributing to the ISS program? It would have let them got a taste of human spaceflight experience before they go something bigger.....

Uh, because the ISS is a white elephant which has sucked up the budget of NASA and other space programs? I don't see the Chinese eager to get onboard with the ISS, even if they were invited.

Offline Steven Pietrobon

• Adelaide, Australia
    • Steven Pietrobon's Space Archive
  • Liked: 32735
  • Likes Given: 8178
« Reply #23 on: 12/25/2012 06:09 am »
Thanks for that antriksh. I think that's a good common sense approach.

Although the current capsule design may be limited, the addition of an orbital module would make it much more capable.
Akin's Laws of Spacecraft Design #1:  Engineering is done with numbers.  Analysis without numbers is only an opinion.

Offline antriksh

• Liked: 132
  • Likes Given: 107
« Reply #24 on: 12/28/2012 03:46 pm »
Tests for sending India's first manned mission into space are in "advanced" stages with the Indian Air Force (IAF) developing necessary parameters for selection of suitable candidates.

The tests will need another year to get fully validated and the selection process of the people for the manned mission will begin after that, Director General Medical Services (Air), Air Marshal Anil Behl told PTI here today.

http://www.deccanherald.com/content/301536/iaf-developing-parameters-indias-manned.html
Nasadiya Sukta:
Srishti se pehle sat nahin thaa, asat bhi nahin | Antariksh bhi nahin, aakaash bhi nahin thaa | chhipaa thaa kyaa, kahaan, kisne dhakaa thaa | us pal to agam, atal jal bhi kahaan thaa ||

From: 1st verse of 129th Hymn of the 10th Book of Rig Veda

Offline antriksh

« Reply #25 on: 12/28/2012 10:58 pm »
hazy ISRO OV from a presentation slide I found on the net. Guessing from the letters on the vehicle, It might be called MANAV (MANned Aerospace Vehicle) which is a Sanskrit word meaning Human being in English.

A clearer image after a lot of net research  :P, MANAV is not for Manned aerospace vehicle. ISRO OV for comparision.

« Last Edit: 12/28/2012 11:00 pm by antriksh »
Nasadiya Sukta:
Srishti se pehle sat nahin thaa, asat bhi nahin | Antariksh bhi nahin, aakaash bhi nahin thaa | chhipaa thaa kyaa, kahaan, kisne dhakaa thaa | us pal to agam, atal jal bhi kahaan thaa ||

Offline antriksh

« Reply #26 on: 12/30/2012 09:00 pm »
ISRO crew module ergonomic model and a zoomed in scaled plasma tunnel model for TPS testing.
Nasadiya Sukta:

Offline sanman

« Reply #27 on: 01/01/2013 02:33 pm »
Here ya go - ran that MANAV image through a sharpener to reduce the blur.

This is the first time I've heard of this concept design. Any more details on it? What crew size would it accommodate? Why is that cylindrical section so long - what's in there?

Offline antriksh

« Reply #28 on: 01/01/2013 04:58 pm »
Here ya go - ran that MANAV image through a sharpener to reduce the blur.

This is the first time I've heard of this concept design. Any more details on it? What crew size would it accommodate? Why is that cylindrical section so long - what's in there?

Thanks sanman! I found this pic from the attached slide on ISRO tech roadmap by BN suresh. I could not find any further details. My guess is this vehicle is combination of front section or reentry crew module + middle section or orbital module + aft section of service module. This might be a long term plan of a manned space vehicle for conducting micro gravity experiments and exploration.
« Last Edit: 01/01/2013 05:00 pm by antriksh »
Nasadiya Sukta:

Offline sanman

« Reply #29 on: 01/02/2013 12:10 am »
Hmm, unlike Soyuz or Dragonlab, I don't see any solar panels on this MANAV concept - I wonder why. Maybe it wasn't fleshed out enough. I think everybody else has solar panels on their orbital designs, if I'm not mistaken.

Offline Khadgars

• Orange County, California
  • Liked: 1132
  • Likes Given: 3156
« Reply #30 on: 01/02/2013 12:51 am »
Hmm..... looks like the Indian manned spacecraft is currently ahead of many of the American spacecrafts under design.  ::)

Hrm? In reference to what? India has quite a ways to go before any such statements are worth while, thought I do wish them the best.
Evil triumphs when good men do nothing - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Galactic Penguin SST

« Reply #31 on: 01/02/2013 01:01 am »
Hmm..... looks like the Indian manned spacecraft is currently ahead of many of the American spacecrafts under design.  ::)

Hrm? In reference to what? India has quite a ways to go before any such statements are worth while, thought I do wish them the best.

Oops..... it was meant to be a satire remark on how those Indian newspapers and even some people at ISRO speak of flying human in orbit and beyond as if they are already ready to go, when in fact such a decision hasn't been made yet and it won't reach its goal in at least this decade.....apparently it didn't work.
Astronomy & spaceflight geek penguin. In a relationship w/ Space Shuttle Discovery. Current Priority: Chasing the Chinese Spaceflight Wonder Egg & A Certain Chinese Mars Rover

Offline Khadgars

• Orange County, California
  • Liked: 1132
  • Likes Given: 3156
« Reply #32 on: 01/02/2013 02:04 am »

Oops..... it was meant to be a satire remark on how those Indian newspapers and even some people at ISRO speak of flying human in orbit and beyond as if they are already ready to go, when in fact such a decision hasn't been made yet and it won't reach its goal in at least this decade.....apparently it didn't work.

Oh haha no I probably didn't read the entire context of your comments, my apologies  :D
Evil triumphs when good men do nothing - Thomas Jefferson

Offline antriksh

« Reply #33 on: 03/23/2013 06:28 pm »
Updates 2012-2013

As part of pre project activities, drop test of full scale Crew Module were conducted successfully to understand the deceleration characteristics and validate the estimated values of ‘g’ level, touchdown velocity and depth of penetration. Scale models of Crew Module have been realised for heat transfer studies, plasma wind tunnel tests and aero-ballistic range tests were conducted. Mortar based parachute ejection and deployment tests carried out in single and clustered configuration. Environmental simulation chamber has been realised for testing of ECLSS functional modules and flight suit systems. Flight suit has been successfully tested in vacuum chamber for leak rate assessment and material compatibility under
vacuum conditions.
Nasadiya Sukta:

Offline kicaj

• Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #34 on: 03/30/2013 12:21 pm »
thanks for the upload, but what is the source of your information?

Offline sanman

« Reply #35 on: 04/01/2013 01:42 am »

Offline antriksh

« Reply #36 on: 04/26/2013 10:27 am »
Left - Functional elements of flight suit
Right - Fabric layup in flight suit and LCG
Nasadiya Sukta:

Offline Soheil

• O_o
  • Tehran, I.R.IRAN
  • Liked: 28
  • Likes Given: 14
« Reply #37 on: 04/26/2013 05:19 pm »
Is there any plan for a sub-orbital flight ?
First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.

Offline antriksh

« Reply #38 on: 04/27/2013 05:19 pm »
Is there any plan for a sub-orbital flight ?

No plans.

One of the many engineering models under going vacuum test

Nasadiya Sukta:

Offline sanman

« Reply #39 on: 04/27/2013 05:53 pm »
« Last Edit: 04/27/2013 05:54 pm by sanman »

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island