Author Topic: RocketLab Electron Smallsat Launcher  (Read 738458 times)

Offline Steven Pietrobon

• Adelaide, Australia
    • Steven Pietrobon's Space Archive
  • Liked: 32734
  • Likes Given: 8178
Re: RocketLab Electron Smallsat Launcher
« Reply #500 on: 06/15/2016 06:38 am »
New Zealand gets a space agency! Their web page includes a link to Rocketlab.

http://www.mbie.govt.nz/info-services/sectors-industries/space/nz-space-agency/
Akin's Laws of Spacecraft Design #1:  Engineering is done with numbers.  Analysis without numbers is only an opinion.

Offline baldusi

• Buenos Aires, Argentina
  • Liked: 2539
  • Likes Given: 8273
« Reply #501 on: 06/15/2016 12:55 pm »
Argentina is developing their own, but for initial testing we are sourcing RG-1 from Russia. I understand that India has also developed their own RG-1 version.

Offline A_M_Swallow

• Elite Veteran
  • South coast of England
  • Liked: 500
  • Likes Given: 223
« Reply #502 on: 06/17/2016 03:54 am »
How about RocketLab joining the fashion of using methane?

Online jamesh9000

• Liked: 165
  • Likes Given: 184
« Reply #503 on: 06/17/2016 04:22 am »
CameronD, could you perhaps give a few more details of how far along things are? I ask because I've been following this pretty closely, (I'm a Kiwi, so I'm REALLY hoping this one succeeds), and news has been rather scarce. Peter Beck said a few months ago that the launch site would be finished by May, but I haven't heard anything since, (not surprising if they're not quite on schedule, new projects almost never are), although one news report said the launch site is finished, and they're now in a "commissioning" phase, whatever that means.

If you don't know anything else, that's fine, it just seems you know a bit more than the press does right now, and I'm impatient  :)

Offline CameronD

• Melbourne, Australia
    • Norton Consultants
  • Liked: 868
  • Likes Given: 548
« Reply #504 on: 06/17/2016 08:45 am »
CameronD, could you perhaps give a few more details of how far along things are? I ask because I've been following this pretty closely, (I'm a Kiwi, so I'm REALLY hoping this one succeeds), and news has been rather scarce. Peter Beck said a few months ago that the launch site would be finished by May, but I haven't heard anything since, (not surprising if they're not quite on schedule, new projects almost never are), although one news report said the launch site is finished, and they're now in a "commissioning" phase, whatever that means.

If you don't know anything else, that's fine, it just seems you know a bit more than the press does right now, and I'm impatient  :)

Well.. I'm sure it's safe to say that ordinary folks on both sides of the Tasman are, like yourself, wishing them all the very best in their endeavours and hoping they succeed.

..but I've probably said too much already.  :-X
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine - however, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are
going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead.

Online jamesh9000

• Liked: 165
  • Likes Given: 184
« Reply #505 on: 07/08/2016 10:26 pm »
It's pretty quiet around here right now, so here's a couple of small update I could find. Normally I probably wouldn't go to the effort of posting this, but hey its something right now :)

First up, here's a newer picture of the launch site and the progress they're making. It's still a month old, so they'll be further along than this, AND its only a small part of the picture, but hey it's something:

https://www.facebook.com/MahiaBoatingFishingClub/photos/a.371577199580860.84227.310142042391043/1070362969702276/?type=3&theater

Also, if you click on the picture accompanying this article there's a high-res pic of everyone with what looks like flight hardware, some of which is new to me, maybe not to others who might've been paying more attention. Bonus is the facial expressions of the engineers who look like they're thinking "have you got your little picture now? I need to go back to work":

http://www.satellitetoday.com/publications/st/2016/07/01/rocket-lab-turns-10-plans-first-electron-launch-year/

Offline CameronD

• Melbourne, Australia
    • Norton Consultants
« Reply #506 on: 07/11/2016 01:56 am »
It's pretty quiet around here right now, so here's a couple of small update I could find. Normally I probably wouldn't go to the effort of posting this, but hey its something right now :)

First up, here's a newer picture of the launch site and the progress they're making. It's still a month old, so they'll be further along than this, AND its only a small part of the picture, but hey it's something:

https://www.facebook.com/MahiaBoatingFishingClub/photos/a.371577199580860.84227.310142042391043/1070362969702276/?type=3&theater

All interesting info. It would have been nice to listen in at that meeting on June 18..  Does anyone here happen know anyone who was there?
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine - however, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are
going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead.

Offline Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
  • A large LEGO storage facility ... in Michigan
  • Liked: 11864
  • Likes Given: 11086
« Reply #507 on: 07/11/2016 02:28 am »
Well.. I'm sure it's safe to say that ordinary folks on both sides of the Tasman are, like yourself, wishing them all the very best in their endeavours and hoping they succeed.

Not just "on both sides of the Tasman" but world wide (well I guess technically everywhere is on one side of it or the other???)
"I think it would be great to be born on Earth and to die on Mars. Just hopefully not at the point of impact." -Elon Musk
"We're a little bit like the dog who caught the bus" - Musk after CRS-8 S1 successfully landed on ASDS OCISLY

Offline LtWigglesworth

• New Zealand
  • Liked: 42
  • Likes Given: 58
« Reply #508 on: 07/11/2016 05:51 am »
 Dava Newman visits RocketLab:

https://twitter.com/usembassynz/status/752329216058732544

Imgur host of the images:

http://imgur.com/a/aTZKo

Offline Steven Pietrobon

• Adelaide, Australia
    • Steven Pietrobon's Space Archive
  • Liked: 32734
  • Likes Given: 8178
« Reply #509 on: 07/11/2016 06:59 am »
Here are those images for posterity.
Akin's Laws of Spacecraft Design #1:  Engineering is done with numbers.  Analysis without numbers is only an opinion.

Offline Mike Jones

• Latvia
  • Liked: 34
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #510 on: 07/12/2016 07:35 pm »
3 dedicated Electron launches for Planet Doves cubesats announced by Rocketlab today. Starting in 2017

Offline Arcas

• United States
  • Liked: 26
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #511 on: 07/12/2016 07:44 pm »
Here are those images for posterity.
Rocking the vertical striped pantsuit
The risk I took was calculated, but boy am I bad at math.

Offline Kryten

• Liked: 426
  • Likes Given: 33
« Reply #512 on: 07/12/2016 07:52 pm »
3 dedicated Electron launches for Planet Doves cubesats announced by Rocketlab today. Starting in 2017
Here's the release from RocketLab;
https://rocketlabusa.com/rocket-lab-and-planet-sign-launch-services-agreement/
Planet and Rocket Lab have signed a Launch Services Agreement for at least three dedicated launches on Rocket Lab’s Electron launch vehicle.
The agreement will see Electron used to expand and replenish Planet’s existing on-orbit fleet of Dove satellites. Planet will utilize the full capacity of Electron for each of the launches, which are scheduled to begin in 2017.

Offline Mike Jones

• Latvia
  • Liked: 34
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #513 on: 07/12/2016 08:00 pm »
Large manifest secured  by RL before their Maiden flight:
1 launch for NASA VCLS
3 for MoonExpress + 2 options
12 for Spire
3  for Planet
They are clearly the leading emerging microlauncher players

Offline TrevorMonty

« Reply #514 on: 07/12/2016 08:53 pm »
1 launch for NASA VCLS
12 for Spire
3  for Planet

Spire has also signed a contract for launching some of its satellites on Electron launches, although those will be manifested as secondary payloads.

- See more at: http://spacenews.com/planet-purchases-three-launches-from-rocket-lab/#sthash.nRayd0wR.dpuf

Offline Galactic Penguin SST

« Reply #515 on: 07/12/2016 11:15 pm »
1 launch for NASA VCLS
12 for Spire
3  for Planet

Not to de-ride them, but the Planet Labs contract is the 1st one that I have a more secure feeling - the NASA one was given to everyone who have some sort of chance to fly, the MoonExpress one is (by its nature) quite volatile and Spire hasn't flown anything to space yet. Their list of customers was one of the things that I have big reservations (they once said that they have dozens of flights booked but declined to name them, and few has shown up in public either), and it's good to see this contract coming up.

I'm still skeptical that they can fly in 2016 though - perhaps next year will be their show time.  ;)
Astronomy & spaceflight geek penguin. In a relationship w/ Space Shuttle Discovery. Current Priority: Chasing the Chinese Spaceflight Wonder Egg & A Certain Chinese Mars Rover

Offline gongora

• Global Moderator
  • US
  • Liked: 13885
  • Likes Given: 5933
« Reply #516 on: 07/12/2016 11:24 pm »
Spire hasn't flown anything to space yet.

Spire has launched Lemurs several times now and supposedly has more going on the oft-delayed Sherpa.

Offline CameronD

• Melbourne, Australia
    • Norton Consultants
« Reply #517 on: 07/12/2016 11:26 pm »
1 launch for NASA VCLS
12 for Spire
3  for Planet

Spire has also signed a contract for launching some of its satellites on Electron launches, although those will be manifested as secondary payloads.

What worries me about all this publicity is that RL have all these customers signed up but have yet to demonstrate even a single test flight of the rocket: could they end up a satellite-payload version of XCOR?

What if the first flight is a failure? The second?  Third?? There are a zillion things that could go wrong.  Do their customers all then run off to other providers with demonstrated runs on the board??  I do remember it took SpaceX three goes to get single successful launch and, although I hope they do, I'm not convinced people will put the same (or more) faith in the guys at Rocketlab.

« Last Edit: 07/12/2016 11:27 pm by CameronD »

Offline Galactic Penguin SST

« Reply #518 on: 07/12/2016 11:34 pm »
Spire hasn't flown anything to space yet.

Spire has launched Lemurs several times now and supposedly has more going on the oft-delayed Sherpa.

Whoops you are correct - I only remembered the company's previous name. That puts them at 14 cubesats launched on 3 different rides starting from 2014.

What worries me about all this publicity is that RL have all these customers signed up but have yet to demonstrate even a single test flight of the rocket: could they end up a satellite-payload version of XCOR?

What if the first flight is a failure? The second?  Third?? There are a zillion things that could go wrong.  Do their customers all then run off to other providers with demonstrated runs on the board??  I do remember it took SpaceX three goes to get single successful launch and, although I hope they do, I'm not convinced people will put the same (or more) faith in the guys at Rocketlab.

Agreed, although they probably don't have a customer like DARPA did to SpaceX at that time. Perhaps the NASA one will be the first "operational" flight?
Astronomy & spaceflight geek penguin. In a relationship w/ Space Shuttle Discovery. Current Priority: Chasing the Chinese Spaceflight Wonder Egg & A Certain Chinese Mars Rover

Offline CameronD

• Melbourne, Australia
    • Norton Consultants
« Reply #519 on: 07/13/2016 01:54 am »
Agreed, although they probably don't have a customer like DARPA did to SpaceX at that time. Perhaps the NASA one will be the first "operational" flight?

No idea.. but I wouldn't think so.  Losing some poor school's Cube-sat is one thing, but if their maiden VCLS launch failed or (maybe worse?) the payload wound up in the wrong orbit, it'd be all over the newsfeeds on both sides of the Pacific.  They'd probly never win a launch for NASA again out of sheer embarrassment.
« Last Edit: 07/14/2016 12:12 am by CameronD »

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography