Author Topic: LIVE: Delta II launch with WorldView1 satellite - September 18  (Read 46920 times)

Online Satori

• Global Moderator
  • Campo do Geręs - Portugal
  • Liked: 1969
  • Likes Given: 1156
Does anyone got the complete launch time in the format 1835:01.XXXUTC?

Thanks!

Offline moose

• Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
First motion time I got from the range was 183500.526
That telemetry guy

Offline moose

• Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
MKremer - 18/9/2007  4:04 PM

Jason Davies - 18/9/2007  3:47 PM

Chris Bergin - 18/9/2007  2:48 PM

One of Mark :)

He seems to have less screens and isn't walking around for this one?

The Vandenberg telemetry setup may be more user-friendly than the Florida one.  :)

The quantity of screens is the same, just a different layout. I prefer standing as it helps keep me awake and it's easier to move from one data set to the next, kinda like the old stripcharts. Not to complain, the TM boys at VAFB provide outstanding support.
That telemetry guy

Online Satori

• Global Moderator
  • Campo do Geręs - Portugal
  • Liked: 1969
  • Likes Given: 1156
moose - 18/9/2007  6:32 PM

First motion time I got from the range was 183500.526

Thank you very much Marc!

Offline jcm

• Jonathan McDowell
  • Somerville, Massachusetts, USA
    • Jonathan's Space Report
  • Liked: 1290
  • Likes Given: 775
Oddly, still no TLE data for WorldView...
-----------------------------

Jonathan McDowell
http://planet4589.org

Offline edkyle99

• Expert
    • Space Launch Report
  • Liked: 8566
  • Likes Given: 1356
nathan.moeller - 18/9/2007  1:54 PM

Chris Bergin - 18/9/2007  1:51 PM

Would love to listen to Marc's calls and not Jessica babbling on with her informercials.

Kind of makes you question the need for PAO on this sort of launch huh?

I too would rather hear Marc's calls, but for what it is worth, I thought that Jessica did her assigned job well.  She provided a solid, professional liftoff call, much better than some we've heard lately.  

- Ed Kyle

Offline hyper_snyper

• Elite Veteran
  • Liked: 1
  • Likes Given: 22
So I just read on SFN, this is 75 in a row for DII.  So is that really the all-time record for ELVs?

Offline edkyle99

• Expert
    • Space Launch Report
  • Liked: 8566
  • Likes Given: 1356
hyper_snyper - 19/9/2007  3:16 PM

So I just read on SFN, this is 75 in a row for DII.  So is that really the all-time record for ELVs?

Not even close.  On two occasions (1983-86 and 1990-96) R-7 based launchers (Soyuz, Molniya, and Vostok) recorded 133 consecutive mission successes.  Tsyklon 2 is riding a current streak of 92 consecutive successes.

- Ed Kyle

Offline kevin-rf

• Elite Veteran
  • Overlooking the path Mary's little Lamb took..
  • Liked: 1318
  • Likes Given: 306
Ed,

You should point out the last Tsyklon 2 failure was in 1973... Though there where 8 Tsyklon 3 failures in 121 launches, including one in 2000 and another in 1996...

Tsyklon 2 probally has the longest running failure free streak of an LV ever. 1973 - Present
If you're happy and you know it,
It's your med's!

Offline William Graham

• Liked: 236
  • Likes Given: 109
edkyle99 - 20/9/2007  4:31 AM

hyper_snyper - 19/9/2007  3:16 PM

Not even close.  On two occasions (1983-86 and 1990-96) R-7 based launchers (Soyuz, Molniya, and Vostok) recorded 133 consecutive mission successes.  Tsyklon 2 is riding a current streak of 92 consecutive successes.

- Ed Kyle

And I should point out to anyone who says that Delta II is the most reliable ELV in service, the Tsyklon 2 is actually more reliable than it. The Atlas II was more reliable again, but that is now out of service.

Offline jimvela

• Liked: 900
  • Likes Given: 71
GW_Simulations - 20/9/2007  4:32 PM
And I should point out to anyone who says that Delta II is the most reliable ELV in service, the Tsyklon 2 is actually more reliable than it. The Atlas II was more reliable again, but that is now out of service.

Record of reliability is well and good, but *RECENT* reliability is more relevant to a prospective customer shopping for a launch vehicle.

There look to have been only 3 Tskylon M launches since 2000, and only 18 since 1990.  At that low flight rate it is hard to believe that there is adequate continuing process to ensure that the upcoming launches will have predictable flight reliability.

Since 2000, there have been something like 43 D II launches, all successful.  

If you were choosing a LV to place your payload on, which would you be inclined to choose?

Pricey, perhaps, but the delta team seems to be really on their game at present with the D-II.

Offline William Graham

• Liked: 236
  • Likes Given: 109
jimvela - 21/9/2007  12:27 AM

GW_Simulations - 20/9/2007  4:32 PM

Record of reliability is well and good, but *RECENT* reliability is more relevant to a prospective customer shopping for a launch vehicle.

There look to have been only 3 Tskylon M launches since 2000, and only 18 since 1990.  At that low flight rate it is hard to believe that there is adequate continuing process to ensure that the upcoming launches will have predictable flight reliability.

Since 2000, there have been something like 43 D II launches, all successful.  

If you were choosing a LV to place your payload on, which would you be inclined to choose?

Pricey, perhaps, but the delta team seems to be really on their game at present with the D-II.

No, I don't dispute that the Delta II is a great rocket. It'll be a shame to see it retire in a few years. I expect it to outlive the Tsyklon, though, so it may be classed as the most reliable rocket in service for a while. Theoretically, it could reach a string of 100 successes, with 25 rockets remaining. If production resumes, then who knows.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography