Author Topic: California Secrets - SpaceX F9 v1.1 Cassiope Launch Party Thread  (Read 276425 times)

Offline Chris Bergin

Party thread for the Cassiope mission.

SpaceX GENERAL Forum Section:
http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?board=45.0 - please use this for general questions NOT specific to this mission.

SpaceX MISSIONS Forum Section:
http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?board=55.0 - this section is for everything specific to SpaceX missions.

SpaceX News Articles from 2006 (Including numerous exclusive Elon interviews):
http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=21862.0

SpaceX CASSIOPE General Thread:
http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=31429.0

SpaceX CASSIOPE Launch Thread:
Coming soon.

SpaceX News Articles (Recent):
http://www.nasaspaceflight.com/tag/spacex/

And for L2 Members:
L2 SpaceX Section:
http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?action=tags&tags=SpaceX

PLEASE NOTE THAT WE FULLY EXPECT THE SITE TO BE VERY BUSY ON LAUNCH DAY. WE WILL LIKELY RESTRICT IT TO MEMBERS ONLY - WITH NO ACCESS TO THE FORUM FOR GUESTS - WHEN THE SITE BECOMES TOO BUSY. READ THIS: http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=31697.0)
« Last Edit: 08/28/2013 11:27 pm by Chris Bergin »
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline SpacexULA

• Liked: 53
  • Likes Given: 73
Not going to be much of a party if they don't stream the launch.
No Bucks no Buck Rogers, but at least Flexible path gets you Twiki.

Offline Space OurSoul

• Seattle, WA
  • Liked: 183
  • Likes Given: 50
I'll party if they stream the (water) landing :-)

A complete OurSoul

Offline Chris Bergin

They will be webcasting the launch as far as I know. I think people are getting confused about streaming the WDR....which they are not.
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline SpacexULA

They will be webcasting the launch as far as I know. I think people are getting confused about streaming the WDR....which they are not.

http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=32534.msg1089618#msg1089618

Sorry usually NASA Gary is right, god I hope he is wrong, :)

Offline QuantumG

• Australia
  • Liked: 4477
  • Likes Given: 1108
Unless there's been a change since my SpaceX tour, they're streaming this launch.. and if there has been a change in that, I expect I would have heard about it.
Human spaceflight is basically just LARPing now.

Offline SpacexULA

Unless there's been a change since my SpaceX tour, they're streaming this launch.. and if there has been a change in that, I expect I would have heard about it.

100% agree it would be strange for them not to, would be the first one they didn't.  Thanks for the info!

Offline spectre9

• Australia
  • Liked: 42
  • Likes Given: 68
I want to see a picture of the rocket and pad. Is that too much to ask?  :(  :(  :(  :(  :(  :(  :(

Offline malu5531

• Sweden
  • Liked: 155
  • Likes Given: 195

The expectations on this launch are sky-high..

It's not enough that SpaceX manage to clear the pad with a brand new rocket, manufactured using new techniques on a new assembly line, launched from a new pad, powered by brand new engines and operated following new processes. It also not enough to stage successfully or that the payload reaches it's orbit.. NO! We also expect a successful re-light of the first stage, a soft descent through the atmosphere (lots of unknown risk here), as well as a soft "landing" in the ocean, ideally with some hoover and huge clouds of steam. :D With a video of all that!! Streaming, live!!!11

The expectations are going exponential; Personally I would only feel satisfied if they, besides all these things, also managed to do something really cool with the upper stage, like a TMI burn. Anything less than Mars on this mission, and SpaceX have failed! ;)

Offline Jakusb

• NL
  • Liked: 1215
  • Likes Given: 637

The expectations on this launch are sky-high..

It's not enough that SpaceX manage to clear the pad with a brand new rocket, manufactured using new techniques on a new assembly line, launched from a new pad, powered by brand new engines and operated following new processes. It also not enough to stage successfully or that the payload reaches it's orbit.. NO! We also expect a successful re-light of the first stage, a soft descent through the atmosphere (lots of unknown risk here), as well as a soft "landing" in the ocean, ideally with some hoover and huge clouds of steam. :D With a video of all that!! Streaming, live!!!11

The expectations are going exponential; Personally I would only feel satisfied if they, besides all these things, also managed to do something really cool with the upper stage, like a TMI burn. Anything less than Mars on this mission, and SpaceX have failed! ;)

Hilarious! :)
If they are at it.. Can they add a nice tune during the live streamed soft water landing? Maybe add the cowboy somewhere, or make it pop-out, and sit on the floating empty first stage? ;)

Offline Garrett

• France
  • Liked: 128
  • Likes Given: 113
The waiting was getting too much for me, so I bit the bullet and joined L2 for the first time. Reading some of those extra updates in L2 has calmed down my cravings somewhat  :P

This communications "blackout" is probably a whole big conspiracy between Chris and SpaceX to tempt folks to join L2.
***curses and shakes fist in the air***  ;D
- "Nothing shocks me. I'm a scientist." - Indiana Jones

Offline mr. mark

• Liked: 172
  • Likes Given: 0
With all the high expectations maybe this party thread should be called California Dreamin'.

Offline Chris Bergin

The waiting was getting too much for me, so I bit the bullet and joined L2 for the first time. Reading some of those extra updates in L2 has calmed down my cravings somewhat  :P

This communications "blackout" is probably a whole big conspiracy between Chris and SpaceX to tempt folks to join L2.
***curses and shakes fist in the air***  ;D

Well Elon did start paypal, which is how you pay for L2 memberships. Everything comes full circle ;)

Offline Chris Bergin

With all the high expectations maybe this party thread should be called California Dreamin'.

That was a suggestion and I almost used it, but given everyone was shouting "where's the bloody pictures of this bloody rocket" and then the Jason article, secrets seemed funnier.

Plus the next door Delta IV-H yesterday was called Victoria....Victoria's Secrets....OK, I was over-thinking this ;)
« Last Edit: 08/29/2013 03:19 pm by Chris Bergin »

Offline meekGee

• N. California
  • Liked: 14046
  • Likes Given: 1392
People keep pointing out that putting the payload in orbit is the main goal, and the water landing is just a bonus.

----

Imagine for a second that in a different reality Musk had Bezos-scale money, and was going to develop SpaceX while ignoring the commercial orbital market - solely for the purpose of going to Mars.

His first goal would have been an F9R-like rocket.  And a reasonable approach (quite the opposite of how too many newspace companies have going at it) would have been to develop the "up" capability first, (without commercial aspirations), and in parallel, GH and Dragon.

It would still be the most exciting space development in the entire industry - but without all the resources spent on NASA missions and the commercial aspect.

----

However, if in a yet different reality SpaceX was just doing EELV development - it would be cool, but hardly mind-blowingly exciting.

----

So in the long run - I'm watching this for exactly one reason: Reentry and water landing.   The payload is important, since in this reality commercial launch will fund the rest of the effort, but the EXCITING part is all the happens after the payload separates.
ABCD - Always Be Counting Down

Offline kch

• Liked: 496
  • Likes Given: 8807

That was a suggestion and I almost used it, but given everyone was shouting "where's the bloody pictures of this bloody rocket" and then the Jason article, secrets seemed funnier.

Plus the next door Delta IV-H yesterday was called Victoria....Victoria's Secrets....OK, I was over-thinking this ;)

Well, I like it!   :D

Offline llanitedave

• Nevada Desert
  • Liked: 1545
  • Likes Given: 2052
People keep pointing out that putting the payload in orbit is the main goal, and the water landing is just a bonus.

----

Imagine for a second that in a different reality Musk had Bezos-scale money, and was going to develop SpaceX while ignoring the commercial orbital market - solely for the purpose of going to Mars.

His first goal would have been an F9R-like rocket.  And a reasonable approach (quite the opposite of how too many newspace companies have going at it) would have been to develop the "up" capability first, (without commercial aspirations), and in parallel, GH and Dragon.

It would still be the most exciting space development in the entire industry - but without all the resources spent on NASA missions and the commercial aspect.

----

However, if in a yet different reality SpaceX was just doing EELV development - it would be cool, but hardly mind-blowingly exciting.

----

So in the long run - I'm watching this for exactly one reason: Reentry and water landing.   The payload is important, since in this reality commercial launch will fund the rest of the effort, but the EXCITING part is all the happens after the payload separates.

I think succeeding in commercial space first is actually a very wise strategy, regardless of Musk's personal fortune.  It's great to build a fantastic launch machine, but to have it survive the rigors of frequent commercial launch, and shake down all possible design flaws while producing a profit will in the long run not only lead to a higher-quality rocket, but to safer Mars missions.  When that ultimate mission does begin, the vehicle or at least much of its legacy will have been tested and refined to a much greater degree than had it been designed and built strictly for that single purpose.
"I've just abducted an alien -- now what?"

Offline meekGee

• N. California
  • Liked: 14046
  • Likes Given: 1392

----

----

----

I think succeeding in commercial space first is actually a very wise strategy, regardless of Musk's personal fortune.  It's great to build a fantastic launch machine, but to have it survive the rigors of frequent commercial launch, and shake down all possible design flaws while producing a profit will in the long run not only lead to a higher-quality rocket, but to safer Mars missions.  When that ultimate mission does begin, the vehicle or at least much of its legacy will have been tested and refined to a much greater degree than had it been designed and built strictly for that single purpose.

Completely agreed. Experience is priceless here.

Still - payload delivery by itself is nothing new.  Not even for SpaceX.  It pays the rent, and makes them a better company.

But the stage coming back - that's THE moment.
ABCD - Always Be Counting Down

Offline simonbp

• Science Guy
  • Liked: 314
  • Likes Given: 183
Well, remember that this is the third time that they have tried to recover a Falcon 9 first stage, so don't pop the corks on that just yet.

But, just a good delivery to orbit would be more than enough success for a first flight. :)

Offline douglas100

• Liked: 227
  • Likes Given: 105

It is.

Payload to the correct orbit is what counts. If the first stage reaches the sea intact but the second stage malfunctions and the mission is lost, it's a bad day which will impact on SpaceX and its customers.

If the payload is orbited correctly but the first stage is lost, it's a disappointment and they will have ample opportunity to try again. But the 1.1 will have proved itself as a launch vehicle.

To have both work would be a good day indeed.
Douglas Clark

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography