Author Topic: SpaceX Falcon 9 : GovSat-1 (SES-16) : Jan 31. 2018 - Discussion  (Read 207793 times)

Offline crandles57

• Sychdyn
  • Liked: 431
  • Likes Given: 136
Is it known what booster is assigned? I'd guess CRS-12 or OTV-5, maybe KoreaSat's

There's some L2 info that can answer that question :)
https://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=42452.0

When does this get declassified?

Online gongora

• Global Moderator
  • US
  • Liked: 13885
  • Likes Given: 5933
Is it known what booster is assigned? I'd guess CRS-12 or OTV-5, maybe KoreaSat's

There's some L2 info that can answer that question :)
https://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=42452.0

When does this get declassified?

As far as I can tell there is just a guess in that L2 thread.

Offline cscott

• Liked: 2867
  • Likes Given: 726
And the answer in general is that L2 info gets "declassified" when it is confirmed with SpaceX and written up in an article.

Online gongora

• Global Moderator
  • US
  • Liked: 13885
  • Likes Given: 5933
How would this satellite get from Dulles to the Cape?  Would it most likely be flown, and if so would it be on an AN-124?  I tried looking for AN-124 flights and  found one going Dulles-LAX-Merritt Island on Dec 3-4, and another AN-124 going Dulles-Kingston-Tampa on Dec 24 (which seems less likely).  Would these GEO sats ever just get trucked to the launch site from Dulles?

Offline IanThePineapple

And the answer in general is that L2 info gets "declassified" when it is confirmed with SpaceX and written up in an article.

This is why I want to get L2, I'm super impatient. I might buy 2 months just to test it out this year

Offline octavo

• Liked: 186
  • Likes Given: 738

This is why I want to get L2, I'm super impatient. I might buy 2 months just to test it out this year
It's totally worth it, especially around launch times. In fact, just the renders by lamontagne and others that end up in the articles are worth it. There are plenty that don't make it indy the article, but are still great fanservice.

Offline IanThePineapple

It's totally worth it, especially around launch times. In fact, just the renders by lamontagne and others that end up in the articles are worth it. There are plenty that don't make it indy the article, but are still great fanservice.

Alright, I need that in my life.

Offline Star One

• UK
  • Liked: 3974
  • Likes Given: 220
Is this pretty certain now to fly before the FH demo flight?

Offline zubenelgenubi

• Global Moderator
  • Arc to Arcturus, then Spike to Spica
  • Sometimes it feels like Trantor in the time of Hari Seldon
  • Liked: 7404
  • Likes Given: 72484
Expanding on your thought...

The Falcon Heavy Demo launch from LC-39A is, in essence, now NET simultaneous with the SES-16 launch from SLC-40.

How would this satellite get from Dulles to the Cape?  Would it most likely be flown, and if so would it be on an AN-124?  I tried looking for AN-124 flights and  found one going Dulles-LAX-Merritt Island on Dec 3-4, and another AN-124 going Dulles-Kingston-Tampa on Dec 24 (which seems less likely).  Would these GEO sats ever just get trucked to the launch site from Dulles?

Apparently, "we" don't know if the satellite has even been delivered to the launch site yet?  Would O/ATK or SES announce a successful delivery to the launch provider?  Or does Luxembourg want as little publicity as possible?

That appears to be a (the?) critical piece of missing information.

My non-expert opinion:
SES is a paying customer (vs. FH demo which is a test flight with no customer payload aboard).  A delay of a few days beyond NET Jan. 29 won't matter much in the "big picture" (How the Solar System Was Won).  SES-16 would be given priority in a parallel launch campaigns situation.

So IF the satellite has been delivered and is already being processed for launch;

AND IF Zuma launches tonight, as scheduled;

THEN SES-16 might progress directly through its launch campaign as soon as SLC-40 is cleared for another launch, launching before the Falcon Heavy Demo.

There's my deduction chain.  Any flaws?
« Last Edit: 01/07/2018 08:29 pm by zubenelgenubi »
Support your local planetarium! (COVID-panic and forward: Now more than ever.) My current avatar is saying "i wants to go uppies!" Yes, there are God-given rights. Do you wish to gainsay the Declaration of Independence?

Offline Star One

• UK

The Falcon Heavy Demo launch from LC-39A is, in essence, now NET simultaneous with the SES-16 launch from SLC-40.

Apparently, "we" don't know if the satellite has even been delivered to the launch site yet?  Would O/ATK or SES announce a successful delivery?  Or does Luxembourg want as little publicity as possible?

My non-expert opinion:
SES is a paying customer (vs. FH demo which is a test flight with no customer payload aboard).  A delay of a few days beyond NET Jan. 29 won't matter much in the "big picture" (How the Solar System Was Won).  SES-16 would be given priority in a parallel launch campaigns situation.

So IF the satellite has been delivered and is already being processed for launch;

THEN SES-16 might progress directly through its launch campaign as soon as SLC-40 is cleared for another launch, launching before the Falcon Heavy Demo.

In light of the above I can see the FH demo flight dropping into February.

Offline russianhalo117

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 4672
  • Likes Given: 768

Apparently, "we" don't know if the satellite has even been delivered to the launch site yet?  Would O/ATK or SES announce a successful delivery?  Or does Luxembourg want as little publicity as possible?

My non-expert opinion:

In theory with AFTS and no need to fully reconfigure as is the case for a switch to a ULA launcher, they could both launch same day.

Offline zubenelgenubi

• Global Moderator

My non-expert opinion:

In theory with AFTS and no need to fully reconfigure as is the case for a switch to a ULA launcher, they could both launch same day.

Good point re: hardware and the range.

What about SpaceX personnel?  Are there enough trained staff, at this juncture, to execute two simultaneous, but staggered, countdowns at launch complexes several miles apart?
Support your local planetarium! (COVID-panic and forward: Now more than ever.) My current avatar is saying "i wants to go uppies!" Yes, there are God-given rights. Do you wish to gainsay the Declaration of Independence?

Offline Star One

• UK

My non-expert opinion:

Good point re: hardware and the range.

What about SpaceX personnel?  Are there enough trained staff, at this juncture, to execute two simultaneous, but staggered, countdowns at launch complexes several miles apart?

Hasn’t it been said elsewhere this is not something the company would require of its staff. Especially if thought for a demo flight.

Offline kdhilliard

• Kirk
  • Tanstaa, FL
  • Liked: 1572
  • Likes Given: 4080
AFTS might allow two in one day, but ASDS won't.  Both launches are scheduled for at-sea booster landing, aren't they?

Offline pb2000

• Calgary, AB
  • Liked: 759
  • Likes Given: 237
AFTS might allow two in one day, but ASDS won't.  Both launches are scheduled for at-sea booster landing, aren't they?
Depnds on what booster it ends up with. They'll want the center core of FH back for examination, but if SES/GovSat ends up with a block 3, SpaceX may not want it back and ditch it.
Launches attended: Worldview-4 (Atlas V 401), Iridium NEXT Flight 1 (Falcon 9 FT), PAZ+Starlink (Falcon 9 FT), Arabsat-6A (Falcon Heavy)
Pilgrimaged to: Boca Chica (09/19 & 01/22)

Offline zubenelgenubi

• Global Moderator
Seeking confirmation re: ASDS.  There is currently one each per coast/range, correct?

Offline Jarnis

• Liked: 830
  • Likes Given: 201
Seeking confirmation re: ASDS.  There is currently one each per coast/range, correct?

Yes.

Also note that all FH dates are very notional until they have a good static fire in the books. Not a given that it'll all work out on the first try, considering it is a new vehicle.

Offline russianhalo117

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 4672
  • Likes Given: 768
Keep in mind that SpaceX may grow the ASDS fleet to increase its launch rate from Florida. This launch will probably play roulette with FH for a launch slot unless they ditch GS-1's booster.

Offline speedevil

• Fife
  • Liked: 2762
  • Likes Given: 3369
Depnds on what booster it ends up with. They'll want the center core of FH back for examination, but if SES/GovSat ends up with a block 3, SpaceX may not want it back and ditch it.

If they really would like it back, I wonder if they think with the recent good aiming they've seen, if the probability of missing by more than a handful of meters is >50%.
Because if it's not, landing two on one ASDS is sort-of-possible.

(assuming the trajectories match so the ASDS can be in one place)

« Last Edit: 01/08/2018 07:21 am by jacqmans »

Offline RocketLover0119

• Space Geek
  • Tampa, Florida
  • Liked: 6791
  • Likes Given: 1609
No update thread so will post this here... Govsat may potentially launch before FH according to SpaceX PAO-

https://mobile.twitter.com/AmericaSpace/status/950464308017811457
"The Starship has landed"

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography