Author Topic: Columbia STS-1  (Read 14723 times)

Offline catdlr

• Enthusiast since the Redstones
  • Marina del Rey, California, USA
  • Liked: 8785
  • Likes Given: 7815
Re: Columbia STS-1
« Reply #20 on: 01/10/2018 05:18 am »
The Greatest Test Flight - STS-1 (Full Mission 03)

lunarmodule5
Published on Mar 15, 2014

STS-1 - Columbia - April 12-14 1981 - Onboard are astronauts John Young (CDR) and Bob Crippen (PLT).

This is the third video of an intended series which will cover the first Space Shuttle flight from countdown to touchdown.

Part 03 - The Countdown to the launch continues and concludes with the successful launch of Columbia and her crew. The video ends with orbit and the 1st of two planned OMS burns achieved.

Some video was substituted where it wasn't available - for instance, I have used some static pad shots from the April 10th attempt. The final countdown from T-20 minutes is as broadcast and the launch includes the broadcast views along with a previous video (STS-1 multi-screen) and some video from the post-flight press conference. Countdown and Post Launch clock is for reference only and is not accurate to the timeline. Captions are used to inform the viewer what he/she is watching. Photos have been added where appropriate. To complete the sequence Orbiter Space Simulator has been used from SRB SEP through to the OMS burn.

All video/pictures and audio is courtesy NASA.

Tony De La Rosa, ...I'm no Feline Dealer!! I move mountains.  but I'm better known for "I think it's highly sexual." Japanese to English Translation.

Offline catdlr

« Reply #21 on: 01/10/2018 05:20 am »
The Greatest Test Flight - STS-1 (Full Mission 04)

lunarmodule5
Published on Apr 6, 2014

STS-1 - Columbia - April 12-14 1981 - Onboard are astronauts John Young (CDR) and Bob Crippen (PLT).

This is the fourth video of an intended series which will cover the first Space Shuttle flight from countdown to touchdown.

Part 04 - Orbits 1-3. During this period the crew complete the 2nd OMS burn, open the payload bay doors and send down 2 TV transmissions. One of these includes the infamous missing tile sequence.

Captions are used to inform the viewer what he/she is watching. Photos have been added where appropriate. Orbiter Space Simulator has been used to depict flight events. Network TV broadcasts are used to depict the events as shown on the day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1VlgK55wGk?t=001

« Last Edit: 01/10/2018 05:22 am by catdlr »
Tony De La Rosa, ...I'm no Feline Dealer!! I move mountains.  but I'm better known for "I think it's highly sexual." Japanese to English Translation.

Offline catdlr

« Reply #22 on: 01/10/2018 05:22 am »
The Greatest Test Flight - STS-1 (Full Mission 05)

lunarmodule5
Published on Apr 20, 2014

This is the fifth video of an intended series which will cover the first Space Shuttle flight from countdown to touchdown.

Part 05 - Orbits 3-5. During this period the crew remove their suits, troubleshoot the DFI recorder and teleprinter. There is a press conference from JSC (covered in full here). It is interesting to listen to the discussion on the tile damage where the leading edge issue was discussed, a situation that would end Columbia's last spaceflight 20 years in the future.

Captions are used to inform the viewer what he/she is watching. Photos have been added where appropriate. Orbiter Space Simulator has been used to depict flight events. I have used some stock footage from the crews' post-flight presentation to show Bob Crippen beginning to remove his suit and a small cut from the US TV networks which show one question being asked at the press conference (I do not have any other footage of this event).

Offline catdlr

« Reply #23 on: 01/10/2018 05:24 am »
The Greatest Test Flight - STS-1 (Full Mission 06)

lunarmodule5
Published on Apr 28, 2014

This is the sixth video of an intended series which will cover the first Space Shuttle flight from countdown to touchdown.

Part 06 -  During this period the crew continue to troubleshoot the DFI recorder, perform the OMS4 burn, carry out a TV status report and close out the first day of the sleep period. Ground station coverage becomes less as Columbia tracks south on her orbital path.

Captions are used to inform the viewer what he/she is watching. Photos have been added where appropriate. Orbiter Space Simulator has been used to depict flight events. The footage of the TV transmission is not the best quality but does show the event as it happened.

Offline catdlr

« Reply #24 on: 01/10/2018 05:28 am »
The Greatest Test Flight - STS-1 (Full Mission 07)

lunarmodule5
Published on May 16, 2014

This is the seventh video of an intended series which will cover the first Space Shuttle flight from countdown to touchdown.

Part 07 -  This video covers the last few hours of the first sleep period and includes the Bronze Teams Press Conference, the crew wake up call and orbital ops early on "Day 2". It includes the famous wake-up call "The Columbia" country and western song.

Captions are used to inform the viewer what he/she is watching. Photos have been added where appropriate. Orbiter Space Simulator has been used to depict flight events.

Offline catdlr

« Reply #25 on: 01/10/2018 05:30 am »
The Greatest Test Flight - STS-1 (Full Mission 08)

unarmodule5
Published on May 28, 2014

This is the eighth video of an intended series which will cover the first Space Shuttle flight from countdown to touchdown.

Part 08 -  This video covers the continuation of Day 2s activities. The crew sends down TV broadcasts from the flight deck and the 24-hour point passes in the flight. The Silver Team of flight controllers change of shift briefing is held. 

NOTE - The Air-to-Ground recorded during that press briefing is incomplete. I have included the audio as played back by the PAO after the briefing concluded.

VIDEO NOTE - My thanks to Mark Gray at Spacecraft Films for permission to use the TV broadcast footage. Without this footage, this series would not be complete. Marks website is at spacecraftfilms.com and I highly recommend his products.
The footage used here is included on the STS-1 to 41B DVD box set.

All video/pictures and audio is courtesy NASA and Spaceflight Films.

Offline catdlr

« Reply #26 on: 01/10/2018 05:32 am »
The Greatest Test Flight - STS-1 (Full Mission 09)

unarmodule5
Published on Jul 6, 2014

This is the ninth video of an intended series which will cover the first Space Shuttle flight from countdown to touchdown.

Part 09 -  This video covers the continuation of Day 2s activities. Another TV broadcast is made - this one is automated and controlled from the MOCR by Apollo veteran Ed Fendell. After the Stateside pass, we follow the crew over Europe and Australia.

NOTE - This segment ends just after the Orroral Valley pass, and PAO starts informing us of a scheduled RCS test. The audio ends here, which is one of the reasons this video is shorter than others. Presently, the next audio available is one orbit later. I have finished this video at the point where audio is not available in the hope that it becomes available at a later date. Part 09A will contain that audio when, and if, it is posted on the NASA audio collection.

VIDEO NOTE - My thanks to Mark Gray at Spacecraft Films for permission to use the TV broadcast footage. Without this footage, this series would not be complete. Marks website is at spacecraftfilms.com and I highly recommend his products.

All video/pictures and audio is courtesy NASA and Spaceflight Films.

Offline catdlr

« Reply #27 on: 01/10/2018 05:35 am »
The Greatest Test Flight - STS-1 (Full Mission 10)

lunarmodule5
Published on Aug 20, 2014

This is the tenth video of an intended series which will cover the first Space Shuttle flight from countdown to touchdown.

Part 10 -  This video covers two orbits, ending with the TV transmission with Vice President Bush. Previous to that the crew continues to look into the DFI issues and perform RCS fittings. On the first Stateside pass, they view Edwards and White Sands.

NOTE - This video starts with an orbit after the last video. The audio for that orbit is not available yet and will be added to the series as part 9a when it becomes so. Also, there is no complete record of the TV transmission. I have taken the scraps of the video I have in my collection and tried to marry them to the audio. If anyone has a copy of that TV broadcast I would be interested in obtaining a copy. Finally, the audio of the TV transmission is incomplete. VP Bush cannot be heard for the start of the transmission. I do have that audio on another tape but decided to leave the original tapes unedited for this video - you are therefore listening to the tapes as they were originally recorded.

All video/pictures and audio is courtesy NASA

Offline catdlr

« Reply #28 on: 01/10/2018 05:37 am »
The Greatest Test Flight - STS-1 (Full Mission 11)

lunarmodule5
Published on Aug 30, 2014

This is the 11th video of an intended series which will cover the first Space Shuttle flight from countdown to touchdown.

Part 11 - This video covers the mission up to about the 31-hour point. The crew practice putting their space suits on and getting into their seats, Crippen is surprised by MCC suggesting he turn on the DFI a few minutes before the de-orbit sequence is scheduled to happen and a press conference is held with the Crimson flight director Don Puddy.

Offline catdlr

« Reply #29 on: 01/10/2018 05:40 am »
The Greatest Test Flight - STS-1 (Full Mission 12)

lunarmodule5
Published on Sep 5, 2014

This is the twelfth video of an intended series which will cover the first Space Shuttle flight from countdown to touchdown.

Part 12 - This video covers the final orbital Ops from Day 2 on STS-1. TV is transmitted and replays shown. There is a press conference (not on the tapes) and a lot of recorded audio is played, somewhat confusing when listened to, but I have captioned what is happening as far as I can tell. The video ends with the famous ContraBand music at bedtime!

NOTE - The payload bay TV near the end of the video - It could be that I don't have the right video in the right place. Apologies!

All video/pictures and audio is courtesy NASA and Spacecraft Films.

Offline catdlr

« Reply #30 on: 01/10/2018 05:42 am »
The Greatest Test Flight - STS-1 (Full Mission 13)

lunarmodule5
Published on Sep 18, 2014

This is the thirteenth video of an intended series which will cover the first Space Shuttle flight from countdown to touchdown.

Part 13 - This video covers the last communication pass of the second day's activities, the change of shift press briefing at JSC, a master alarm onboard which wakes the crew and PAO announcements while the crew completes their 2nd sleep schedule. It ends just prior to the first comm pass of day 3, landing day.

Captions are used to inform the viewer what he/she is watching. Photos have been added where appropriate. Orbiter Space Simulator has been used to depict flight events.

The video is captured on a 16:9 screen to allow captioning and photos/video to be shown by the side of the main screen.

Audio is in two channels. One covers the PAO and air-to-ground and the other is just the air-to-ground.

The audio, downloaded from the NASA audio collection, had already been edited and it has taken some time to put it back into real time for the TV transmissions. However, I don't claim to have gotten it perfect.

All audio and video courtesy NASA.

« Last Edit: 01/10/2018 05:42 am by catdlr »

Offline catdlr

« Reply #31 on: 01/10/2018 05:44 am »
The Greatest Test Flight - STS-1 (Full Mission 14)

lunarmodule5
Published on Sep 18, 2014

This is the fourteenth video of an intended series which will cover the first Space Shuttle flight from countdown to touchdown.

Part 14 - This video covers the wake-up call on day 3 (not to be missed!!) and comm through another orbit as the first preparations are made before the landing attempt. There then follows a final end of shift briefing.

All audio and video courtesy NASA and Spacecraft Films.

Offline catdlr

« Reply #32 on: 01/10/2018 05:46 am »
The Greatest Test Flight - STS-1 (Full Mission 15)

lunarmodule5
Published on Sep 20, 2014

This is the fifteenth video of an intended series which will cover the first Space Shuttle flight from countdown to touchdown.

Part 15 - This video covers crew preparation for the de-orbit burn, specifically putting on their spacesuits. There is a TV pass over the USA which again sees MCC controlling the views. 

All audio and video courtesy NASA and Spacecraft Films.

Offline catdlr

« Reply #33 on: 01/10/2018 05:54 am »
The Greatest Test Flight - STS-1 (Full Mission 16)

[CATDLR comment:  this last chapter is currently under copyright restriction.  I've sent a note to the author to see when Mission 16 will become available again - stay tune - sorry for the cliffhanger  ;) - TonyD]
« Last Edit: 01/10/2018 05:55 am by catdlr »

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography