Author Topic: LIVE: Congressional Hearings into Obama's NASA Budget FY2011 - Feb 24-25 Part 2  (Read 344913 times)

Offline marsavian

• Elite Veteran
  • Liked: 2
  • Likes Given: 3
Olsen complained about lack of consultation and that the Press had more details first.
« Last Edit: 02/25/2010 02:23 pm by marsavian »

Offline Cog_in_the_machine

• Likes Given: 0
Bolden

I understand that our justification documents have been slow to reach you and I apologize.

We will focus not just on the Moon, but NEOs and Mars, with Mars as the ultimate goal.

I can't promise a date for a mars landing. We are trying to get there in a sustainable manner and inspire the next generation.
« Last Edit: 02/25/2010 02:21 pm by Cog_in_the_machine »
^^ Warning! Contains opinions. ^^ 

Offline TexasRED

• Houston
  • Liked: 3
  • Likes Given: 9
anyone have link for this one?

Offline TexasRED

• Houston
  • Liked: 3
  • Likes Given: 9
I should have said a non NASA TV link, sorry.  For some reason NASA TV stream no longer works in my office

Right now Bolden is basically rehashing what he said yesterday about fuel depots, flagship projects, robotic precursors etc.

Question time :)

Gordon: Will there be other markets for commercial crew aside from NASA?

Bolden: We believe so because the private companies have done research in this area and claim there is.

Gordon says the answer is unsatisfactory.
« Last Edit: 02/25/2010 06:05 pm by Cog_in_the_machine »

Offline marsavian

• Elite Veteran

Offline MP99

I think the main problem people, apart from those most ardent adherants to the Cult of Direct, is the gap. There was, and remains only one way to solve that, which is shuttle extension.

AFAICT, there will be another major "gap" after ISS termination in 2020, and that won't be "can't get to the station without help", but "not doing anything at all" until exploration gets going.

Not good.

Martin

Offline marsavian

• Elite Veteran
Gordon says letters sent out by NASA, of which has a copy, asked for Cx cancellation costs in FY2010 !
« Last Edit: 02/25/2010 02:33 pm by marsavian »

Gordon: Why did you cancel Constellation when the congress forbade tampering with it's funding?

Bolden: I haven't issued a termination for the constellation program.

Gordon: So why'd you want a termination cost estimate?

Bolden: Because we needed it in the event that the President decided to cancel it in 2011.

BTW if someone would help take notes that'd be great. I can't really do it too well.
« Last Edit: 02/25/2010 04:24 pm by Cog_in_the_machine »

Olson mentioned some guy (I didn't catch his name, but it's probably someone notable in NASA) on twitter that sent out the message "To those that don't like Obamas' new budget - bite me"

:o

Obviously trying to demonize everyone supporting the new budget
« Last Edit: 02/25/2010 02:39 pm by Cog_in_the_machine »

Offline marsavian

• Elite Veteran
Olsen generally complained about getting away from safe Cx to untried and unproven Commercial. Bolden replied that Commercial will be here quicker and have more redundancy. Olsen at the start also mentioned the hidden cabal behind this policy. Mentioned effect on jobs too.
« Last Edit: 02/25/2010 02:44 pm by marsavian »

Costello made the "If commercial is so great why didn't they build space stations and send people in space before government sponsored programs" argument.
« Last Edit: 02/25/2010 02:42 pm by Cog_in_the_machine »

Offline CessnaDriver

• Liked: 16
  • Likes Given: 2
Costello made the "If commercial is so great why didn't they build space stations and send people in space before government sponsored programs" argument.

One of my favorite arguements.

Offline Mark S

• Dallas, TX
  • Liked: 395
  • Likes Given: 80
Rohrbacher praises Bolden for canceling CxP.

Offline Herb Schaltegger

Interesting aside here for anyone following the politics at play: Gordon is a (distant) colleague of mine, another attorney from my town and district, as well as being the Chairman of the House Committee on Science and Technology.  He has also announced he will not seek reelection, leaving a mad scramble here at home to find a worthwhile candidate from either party.  Now, all that said, knowing he has no reelection at stake (and not being from a state with a terrible big aerospace industry presence) it will be interesting to see how aggressively he questions people today.
Ad astra per aspirin ...

Rohrabacher: NASA can't do everything and we can't have 9bln$ programs that are behind schedule and behind schedule.

Rohrabacher commends Boldens' decision and says that the Constellation supporters care more about maintaining the workforce, that isn't meeting it's responsibilities and is holding NASA back, than safety and progress.
« Last Edit: 02/25/2010 02:52 pm by Cog_in_the_machine »

Offline marsavian

• Elite Veteran
Rohrabacher says Cx was over budget and late. Also states that preserving workforce that doesn't deliver is not cost-effective. Speaks out in favor of efficient Atlas and Delta.

One of my favorite arguements.

The way it should work is:
government trailblazes > commercial takes over, NOT government does everything and commercial sits in the background.
« Last Edit: 02/25/2010 03:03 pm by Cog_in_the_machine »

Offline marsavian

• Elite Veteran
Bolden says wants to bring Old Space companies into competitions.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography