Author Topic: Antares General Discussion Thread  (Read 363250 times)

Offline baldusi

• Buenos Aires, Argentina
  • Liked: 2539
  • Likes Given: 8273
Re: Antares General Discussion Thread
« Reply #300 on: 10/29/2014 11:31 am »
Assuming (and that is all it is so far) that the ORB-CRS-3 anomaly is ultimately due to an engine failure this gives NK-33 a failure rate of 1-in-4, as of now, including the two test stand failures. Am I correct?

(Asked not to bash but because I genuinely want the information)
You should take then failures/firings. That should include the flown engines test stages. And each Antares fly 2 engines. So it was a 1-in-8 failure in flight, plus at least 2-in-10 in test stand.

Offline bad_astra

• Liked: 316
  • Likes Given: 553
« Reply #301 on: 10/29/2014 02:31 pm »
Pegging future hopes to another Russian engine that's already been used as a political asset once in a situation that shows no sign of being resolved. What could go wrong?
« Last Edit: 10/29/2014 02:31 pm by bad_astra »
"Contact Light" -Buzz Aldrin

Offline daveklingler

• Liked: 346
  • Likes Given: 66
« Reply #302 on: 10/29/2014 04:10 pm »
Yesterday's launch failure drew renewed political debate over Russian engines, whether or not the NK had anything to do with it.  Given the amount of flak ULA has taken over the RD-180, I wonder that they didn't find a way to avoid it.

Offline asmi

• Ontario, Canada
  • Liked: 170
  • Likes Given: 128
« Reply #303 on: 10/29/2014 04:17 pm »
Pegging future hopes to another Russian engine that's already been used as a political asset once in a situation that shows no sign of being resolved. What could go wrong?
Not that anyone would care, but all the talk about banning RD-180 was for military launches only, of which Antares is not (at least atm).

Offline edkyle99

• Expert
    • Space Launch Report
  • Liked: 8566
  • Likes Given: 1356
« Reply #304 on: 10/29/2014 07:29 pm »
Assuming (and that is all it is so far) that the ORB-CRS-3 anomaly is ultimately due to an engine failure this gives NK-33 a failure rate of 1-in-4, as of now, including the two test stand failures. Am I correct?

(Asked not to bash but because I genuinely want the information)
This was the fifth Antares launch, so at most one in 10 engines have failed in flight assume this was an engine failure.  One additional Antares first stage was used for a static test on the launch pad but was then removed from the launch processing cycle.  I'm not sure how many engines have been tested and not flown, but I do know that engine E18 is currently on Stennis Test Stand E1.

This might not have been an engine failure.  High pressure staged combustion engines of this type are absolutely unforgiving of foreign particle ingestion, for example.

- Ed Kyle
« Last Edit: 10/29/2014 07:33 pm by edkyle99 »

Offline asmi

• Ontario, Canada
« Reply #305 on: 10/30/2014 03:09 am »
Hmm...
Американская компания Orbital Sciences некоторое время назад провела тендер среди мировых производителей двигателей для своей ракеты-носителя Antares. Газета «Известия» со ссылкой на свой источник в Роскосмосе сообщает, что тендер выиграло химкинское НПО «Энергомаш» с двигателем РД-193. По информации издания, официальные результаты конкурса пока не объявляются, так как руководство американской компании ведёт консультации относительно гарантий поставок этих двигателей в условиях введённых США санкций против России.

Оригинал статьи: http://russian.rt.com/article/56923#ixzz3Hb71wgwk
My translation:
American company Orbital Science organized a tender among world engine manufacturers for Antares rocket. "Izvestia" newspaper reports from their source in Roscosmos that NPO "Energomash" won this tender with its RD-193 engine. According to their source, official results are not yet publicized since company management is trying to secure guarantees that engines will be delivered despite US sanctions against Russia.
I would just add that RD-193 engine has been designed to be a drop-in replacement for NK-33 for Soyuz-2.1v LV, it's got fixed nozzle so it will have to rely on suspension for gimbal (just like original NK-33).
« Last Edit: 10/30/2014 03:13 am by asmi »

Offline Antares

• ABO^2
  • Done arguing with amateurs
  • Liked: 371
  • Likes Given: 228
« Reply #306 on: 10/30/2014 03:12 am »
And someone in the government of Russia leaks that info on the day after a failure because without that engine, the Ukrainians (and Americans) have nothing to attach to the stage.  The 1980s called....
If I like something on NSF, it's probably because I know it to be accurate.  Every once in a while, it's just something I agree with.  Facts generally receive the former.

Offline asmi

• Ontario, Canada
« Reply #307 on: 10/30/2014 03:19 am »
And someone in the government of Russia leaks that info on the day after a failure because without that engine, the Ukrainians (and Americans) have nothing to attach to the stage.  The 1980s called....
Yea, but leaving politics aside this actually makes sense - since the engine has been specifically designed to replace NK-33, re-engining Antares to that engine should be the easiest way among other options.

Offline SkipMorrow

« Reply #308 on: 10/30/2014 12:16 pm »
Very slight tangential question. With all the discussion here about different engine possibilities for OSC, it occurred to me that the reality is, there aren't a huge number of different engines available in the modern world. It's not like the number of different kinds of cars. Or car engines for that matter. Is there a site that lists all of the engines in use today and what capabilities/characteristics they have? I'm going to guess that there are what, maybe 30 different engines in use today??? I'm not interested in older, historic engines (although, they ARE *interesting*, but not really germane to the issues of today)

Offline asmi

• Ontario, Canada
« Reply #309 on: 10/30/2014 12:24 pm »
Very slight tangential question. With all the discussion here about different engine possibilities for OSC, it occurred to me that the reality is, there aren't a huge number of different engines available in the modern world. It's not like the number of different kinds of cars. Or car engines for that matter. Is there a site that lists all of the engines in use today and what capabilities/characteristics they have? I'm going to guess that there are what, maybe 30 different engines in use today??? I'm not interested in older, historic engines (although, they ARE *interesting*, but not really germane to the issues of today)
You can just look at the vehicles that are currently flying. There are only a handful of them.

Offline baldusi

« Reply #310 on: 10/30/2014 12:55 pm »
Yea, but leaving politics aside this actually makes sense - since the engine has been specifically designed to replace NK-33, re-engining Antares to that engine should be the easiest way among other options.
It's designed to replace the NK-33A flying on the Soyuz-2.1v, this engine has a new Russian controller, for example. And since it uses the RD-0110 vernier engine, it doesn't need any TVC. The AJ-26 uses an AeroJet developed TVC, ECU, APU and they even moved around the piping a bit. So it might or might not be such a drop in. But the Antares has all the propulsion subsystem abstracted into the Main Engine System (MES), which includes the two AJ-26, the TVC, APU, start up and even thrust transfer structures. So, swapping the AJ-26 for either 2 x RD-181, 2 x RD-191, 2 x RD-193 or 1 x RD-180 would be relatively easy. Probably the easiest would be the RD-180 which already has everything needed in on package.
No other existing engines in the world are so close in thrust, isp, O/F, structure and nozzle numbers as those.
If they are in a hurry, it is RD-180 or nothing. I don't know if I wrote about it here, but anything that needs a new export license from the Russian version of ITAR, i snot less than three years away, if you are lucky.

Offline asmi

• Ontario, Canada
« Reply #311 on: 10/30/2014 01:18 pm »
It's designed to replace the NK-33A flying on the Soyuz-2.1v, this engine has a new Russian controller, for example. And since it uses the RD-0110 vernier engine, it doesn't need any TVC. The AJ-26 uses an AeroJet developed TVC, ECU, APU and they even moved around the piping a bit.
As far as I understand, gimbal system on AJ-26 moves the engine as whole, not just nozzle like most engines with "built-in" gimbal capability.
No other existing engines in the world are so close in thrust, isp, O/F, structure and nozzle numbers as those.
If they are in a hurry, it is RD-180 or nothing. I don't know if I wrote about it here, but anything that needs a new export license from the Russian version of ITAR, i snot less than three years away, if you are lucky.
Orignal article in "Izvestia" newspaper (http://izvestia.ru/news/578744#ixzz3HbDtPA1X in Russian) noted that Russian govt will not block a deal, according to their source. There are some more details in that article:
- tender has been held at the end of 2013, so not in any way related to the failure
- AeroJet and Kuznetsov participated as well, as well as other companies (ATK Aerospace is also mentioned)
- Kuznetsov's CEO is disappointed that Energomash undercut them, and is saying that their bid is no longer under consideration for the Antares project

Energomash and Orbital declined to comment on the matter until results of the tender are officially announced.
« Last Edit: 10/30/2014 01:20 pm by asmi »

Offline rusty

• Liked: 14
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #312 on: 11/05/2014 02:39 am »
Hmm...
American company Orbital Science organized a tender among world engine manufacturers for Antares rocket. "Izvestia" newspaper reports from their source in Roscosmos that NPO "Energomash" won this tender with its RD-193 engine. According to their source, official results are not yet publicized since company management is trying to secure guarantees that engines will be delivered despite US sanctions against Russia.
I would just add that RD-193 engine has been designed to be a drop-in replacement for NK-33 for Soyuz-2.1v LV, it's got fixed nozzle so it will have to rely on suspension for gimbal (just like original NK-33).
That's one route, swapping a refurbished Soviet engine for a new Russian engine. Another would be using ATK's ties to launch AthenaII or an Orbital-equivalent dual-Castor 120 "Taurus II".
-snips- ... Athena 2cS with six boosters would lift 4.19 tonnes to a 500 km x 28.5 deg LEO ... It is a number that bumps up close to Delta 2 and Antares capability. ...

Offline TrevorMonty

« Reply #313 on: 11/05/2014 02:44 am »
Would any Russian engines still need to be tested and handled by Aerojet? or can OrbitalATK do this themselves.

Online Galactic Penguin SST

« Reply #314 on: 11/05/2014 01:19 pm »
Well with today's announcement....the words of Valentin Glushko about the Kuznetsov engines in 1974 rings to mind:

“You can't build a lunar base using rotten engines.”

(Boris Chertok, Rockets and People, Volume IV: The Moon Race, NASA SP-2011-4110 P.525)

:-X
Astronomy & spaceflight geek penguin. In a relationship w/ Space Shuttle Discovery. Current Priority: Chasing the Chinese Spaceflight Wonder Egg & A Certain Chinese Mars Rover

Offline woods170

• IRAS fan
  • IRAS fan
  • The Netherlands
  • Liked: 18202
  • Likes Given: 12162
« Reply #315 on: 11/05/2014 01:22 pm »
Would any Russian engines still need to be tested and handled by Aerojet? or can OrbitalATK do this themselves.
Given todays statement by Orbital this question is now moot.

Offline baldusi

« Reply #316 on: 11/05/2014 01:28 pm »
Why? Due to ITAR and the Russian equivalents, RD-180 are bench tested by NPO Energomash on Russia, but received, stored, and supported in the US by RD AMROSS with US engineers. Basically, ULA still needs the US engineering and support. That's the biggest issue with the RD-193, unless they can get RD AMROSS to handle it. Else, they will have to duplicate the US structure for much less engines.

Offline Norm38

• Liked: 1272
  • Likes Given: 2317
« Reply #317 on: 11/05/2014 01:47 pm »
I heard on the radio on the drive to work that Orbital announced (today?) that they will most likely NOT be using the AJ-26 engines for any further Antares flights.  That says to me that they have no confidence in an ability to inspect/approve the AJ-26 with respect to the turbopumps.  Due to whatever factors, the engine has been deemed unreliable and is shelved.

So Antares is grounded for the foreseeable future.  There will be no quick return to flight, they need a complete redesign with a whole new engine and a whole new test flight regime.  Assuming they can just "drop in" the RD-180 RD-193, what's the down time for that?  A year?
« Last Edit: 11/05/2014 03:02 pm by Norm38 »

Offline MattMason

• Space Enthusiast
  • Indiana
  • Liked: 772
  • Likes Given: 2016
« Reply #318 on: 11/05/2014 03:02 pm »
I heard on the radio on the drive to work that Orbital announced (today?) that they will most likely NOT be using the AJ-26 engines for any further Antares flights.  That says to me that they have no confidence in an ability to inspect/approve the AJ-26 with respect to the turbopumps.  Due to whatever factors, the engine has been deemed unreliable and is shelved.

So Antares is grounded for the foreseeable future.  There will be no quick return to flight, they need a complete redesign with a whole new engine and a whole new test flight regime.  Assuming they can just "drop in" the RD-180, what's the down time for that?  A year?

That's almost right. Orbital and NASA just announced their plans, abandoning the AJ-26 and stepping up work for the replacement engines already on the drawing board, with MARS repaired in the coming year. Doing that time, one or two Cygnus flights will go using "non-Antares" vehicles.

The Antares/ORB-3 Failure Discussion Thread is all over this speculation of probable vehicles for those one or two flights. Atlas V is the general consensus since Falcon launches are pretty booked and NASA would be putting more eggs in one basket by overloading SpaceX with two cargo modes.

http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=35950.510
"Why is the logo on the side of a rocket so important?"
"So you can find the pieces." -Jim, the Steely Eyed

Offline Prober

• Save the spin....I'm keeping you honest!
  • Nevada
  • Liked: 721
  • Likes Given: 729
« Reply #319 on: 11/05/2014 03:46 pm »

and the big looser today is AJR, they are stuck with an inventory of engines.
2017 - Everything Old is New Again.
"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant..." --Isoroku Yamamoto

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography