Author Topic: Orbital ATK OmegA (NGL) Rocket UPDATES/DISCUSSION - Thread 2  (Read 156889 times)

Thread 2:

Thread 1:
https://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=42663.0

Pre-announcement overview on the rocket:
https://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2018/03/orbital-atk-next-phase-ngl-rocket-development/

--

We are thrilled to announce the name of our new large-class rocket: OmegA #OmegaRocket

The OmegA name represents the book-end of our rocket lineup from small-class Pegasus & Minotaur to medium-class Antares and now large-class OmegA

https://twitter.com/OrbitalATK/status/986029298195759105

« Last Edit: 04/17/2018 12:21 am by Chris Bergin »

As work continues on #OmegaRocket, we are also excited to announce that we have selected @AerojetRdyne’s RL10C engine to support the vehicle’s upper stage flight

https://twitter.com/OrbitalATK/status/986029516337373184

-#OmegaRocket is a three-stage rocket with the option to add up to 6 strap-on boosters – 1st and 2nd stage are solid propellant motors & 3rd stage is cryogenic powered by @AerojetRdyne RL10C

https://twitter.com/OrbitalATK/status/986030002213879808
« Last Edit: 04/17/2018 12:16 am by tvg98 »

This heavy-class rocket will have a payload capacity of up to 10,100 kg to Geosynchronous Transfer Orbit (GTO) and up to 7,800 kg to Geostationary Equatorial Orbit (GEO) #OmegaRocket

https://twitter.com/OrbitalATK/status/986031910504796161

To date, we have completed 4 large composite cases and will begin casting propellant in the first inert motor next week #OmegaRocket

https://twitter.com/OrbitalATK/status/986031070398345216

Offline Chris Bergin

New thread for the rocket now we have a name and an overview.
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

OmegA: Orbital ATK’s New Large-Class Rocket

« Last Edit: 04/17/2018 12:27 am by tvg98 »

Offline Lars-J

• California
  • Liked: 8485
  • Likes Given: 5384
Very interesting! Not a bad name :)  Two RL-10s.

I'm not sure how cheap the infrastructure will be for a rocket with two models with such a massive height difference, though. Because this thing will be necessity by vertically integrated.
« Last Edit: 04/17/2018 12:29 am by Lars-J »

Offline ChrisWilson68

• Sunnyvale, CA
  • Liked: 4992
  • Likes Given: 6459

I'm not sure how cheap the infrastructure will be for a rocket with two models with such a massive height difference, though. Because this thing will be necessity by vertically integrated.

They're going to use the VAB for integration.  So the infrastructure won't be cheap at all.  But NASA will likely be paying most or all of the costs of the VAB, so they can kind of ride along for free.

Offline ChrisWilson68

• Sunnyvale, CA

They're going to use the VAB for integration.  So the infrastructure won't be cheap at all.  But NASA will likely be paying most or all of the costs of the VAB, so they can kind of ride along for free.

Not that I think it's likely it will actually make it to that stage -- I think they'll take the Air Force money if they can get it, but they won't actually end up fielding an operational system.  It's just too impractical compared to SpaceX and Blue Origin and by the time they get close to flying it will be so clear that it's far too expensive that nobody will be able to steer National Security launches to it.

Online IanThePineapple

I find it interesting they went with RL-10s for the upper stage. Don't they cost about $19m apiece?

Offline Lars-J

• California
  • Liked: 8485
  • Likes Given: 5384

Not that I think it's likely it will actually make it to that stage -- I think they'll take the Air Force money if they can get it, but they won't actually end up fielding an operational system.  It's just too impractical compared to SpaceX and Blue Origin and by the time they get close to flying it will be so clear that it's far too expensive that nobody will be able to steer National Security launches to it.

Perhaps. But OrbitalATK is not gunning for SpaceX or Blue Origin. What they want to replace is ULA.

One positive thing that Omega has in its favor is that Orbital ATK appears to be investing some real resources into it. They won't go it all alone, but I think they might go further than you think.

Offline ZachS09

• Space Savant
  • Roanoke, TX
  • Liked: 2344
  • Likes Given: 2060
I knew it! RL-10 is such a reliable upper stage engine that I predicted correctly that a cluster would be used in the OmegA’s third stage.
Liftoff for St. Jude's! Go Dragon, Go Falcon, Godspeed Inspiration4!

Offline JBF

• Liked: 472
  • Likes Given: 914
The only way this can make sense economically is if they have been raking in huge profits on their SRB businesses.  Combine that with vertical integration and you might get somewhat close.
"In principle, rocket engines are simple, but that’s the last place rocket engines are ever simple." Jeff Bezos

Offline ChrisWilson68

• Sunnyvale, CA
Perhaps. But OrbitalATK is not gunning for SpaceX or Blue Origin. What they want to replace is ULA.

Yeah, they're not gunning for SpaceX or Blue Origin, but I think they'll be gunned down by the massive firepower of SpaceX and Blue Origin.  ULA can last a little while clinging to the "more dependable" mantra, but OmegA doesn't have that.

Offline watermod

• Liked: 177
  • Likes Given: 153
https://www.rt.com/politics/424010-russia-sanctions-nuclear-us/ {RT}
Russia to suspend nuclear, rocket cooperation with America, ban US tobacco & alcohol – draft law
Russian lawmakers have drafted a bill suspending cooperation with US companies in the nuclear, missile and aircraft-building spheres, as well as introducing restrictions on imports of alcohol and tobacco produced in the US.
“The bill is about alcohol and tobacco products and about ceasing or suspending international cooperation in the nuclear sphere, rocket engine building and aircraft building between Russian companies and organizations under US jurisdiction,” one of the bill’s sponsors, MP Ivan Melnikov (Communist Party), was quoted as saying in the State Duma’s Twitter message.

This could put pressure on Atlas before Vulcan is ready to fly.   Also, F9 and FH haven't been certified for all USAF, NRO and NASA flights. Options?

Offline rockets4life97

• Liked: 538
  • Likes Given: 365
Also, F9 and FH haven't been certified for all USAF, NRO and NASA flights. Options?

Are you suggesting OmegA will be certified before F9 and FH? What do you think is the time frame for certifying OmegA?

Offline watermod

Also, F9 and FH haven't been certified for all USAF, NRO and NASA flights. Options?

Are you suggesting OmegA will be certified before F9 and FH? What do you think is the time frame for certifying OmegA?
No wondering how it will effect all the players including the certification people in different programs.   Also, wasn't ATK, at one point making a possible replacement engine for the Atlas? 

Offline cppetrie

• Liked: 552
  • Likes Given: 3

No wondering how it will effect all the players including the certification people in different programs.   Also, wasn't ATK, at one point making a possible replacement engine for the Atlas?
Aerojet Rocketdyne (AJR)

Offline watermod

Aerojet Rocketdyne (AJR)
Thanks! Various tax filings of mine are killing all my brain cells. Only one more day to finish all of them.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography