Author Topic: SpaceX's Autonomous Spaceport Drone Ship Updates and Discussion Thread 3  (Read 1424035 times)

Offline maximlevitsky

• Liked: 87
  • Likes Given: 103
It appears that thread about our beloved ship (or ships more correctly) silently died  :(

Any updates folks? Pictures?

I too have so little time to continue with my OCLSLY model, but hope to resume it tomorrow.

Offline CameronD

• Melbourne, Australia
    • Norton Consultants
  • Liked: 868
  • Likes Given: 548
It appears that thread about our beloved ship (or ships more correctly) silently died  :(

Any updates folks? Pictures?

The thread hasn't died.. it's only sleeping.

Jokes aside, there's been no action on the ASDS front 'cause one is away getting it's bottom scrubbed and the other is parked securely berthed awaiting another opportunity to catch something.  Be patient, they'll be out on the high seas again soon. :)
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine - however, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are
going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead.

Offline Kabloona

• Velocitas Eradico
  • Fortress of Solitude
  • Liked: 3429
  • Likes Given: 741
Jokes aside, there's been no action on the ASDS front 'cause one is away getting it's bottom scrubbed...

Did I miss something? OCISLY got back from drydock over two weeks ago.
« Last Edit: 07/29/2016 02:08 pm by Kabloona »

Offline Ohsin

• Liked: 1453
  • Likes Given: 2379
Don't know if anyone else mentioned this but Marmac 303 had some replacement work done that is now listed on USCG website

https://cgmix.uscg.mil/PSIX/PSIXSearch.aspx
"Well, three cheers to Sharma, but our real baby is INSAT."

Offline Comga

• Liked: 4572
  • Likes Given: 5136
Don't know if anyone else mentioned this but Marmac 303 had some replacement work done that is now listed on USCG website

This says that the due date for the repair of the "Electrical Supply System" is Aug 1. 
Should be plenty of time for JCSat-16 launch, even if we don't have an exact launch date for it.
What kind of wastrels would dump a perfectly good booster in the ocean after just one use?

Offline rpapo

This says that the due date for the repair of the "Electrical Supply System" is Aug 1. 
Should be plenty of time for JCSat-16 launch, even if we don't have an exact launch date for it.
Let's not mix up our ASDSs.  That report seems to have been for the west-coast one, JRTI, as the USCG base was San Pedro, California.
« Last Edit: 07/29/2016 08:10 pm by rpapo »
Following the space program since before Apollo 8.

Offline Comga

• Liked: 4572
  • Likes Given: 5136

Let's not mix up our ASDSs.  That report seems to have been for the west-coast one, JRTI, as the USCG base was San Pedro, California.

Oops.   :-[
I missed the San Pedro detail.
Then there's even more time margin to the Iridium launch NET Sept 12.
Just in case...
What kind of wastrels would dump a perfectly good booster in the ocean after just one use?

Offline CyndyC

My HVAC part came in and the same technician came out, so I have a followup report based on the questions that came up here. In fact, he gave me so much information this time, it might be better if I just bullet most of it. In addition, he said he took some pictures while his team was working and he will try to find and post them here.

⦁   the 2 containers have only 2 air handlers each, which hang from the ceilings inside, and each air handler is shared by 2 outside condensers
⦁   previous estimate of 4 tons per condenser modified to 4 tons per air handler, for a total of 8 tons of cooling per container
⦁   the 4 A/C condensers outside each container run 2 at a time
⦁   the interior temperature is kept at 68 degrees
⦁   SpaceX freaked out when the repair team had the temp turned down to 60 degrees to test the system

***what's inside the box***

⦁   mostly telemetry servers to communicate only with the support ships, possibly also with the rocket
⦁   communication w/ Hawthorne ruled out as too far, relayed through support ships
⦁   GPS system with more precision than comes standard with the thrusters
⦁   video telemetry servers
⦁   desk
⦁   monitors
« Last Edit: 07/30/2016 07:26 pm by CyndyC »
"Either lead, follow, or get out of the way." -- quote of debatable origin tweeted by Ted Turner and previously seen on his desk

Offline CyndyC

There's a new place to hang out and watch OCISLY come in if between 7am & 7pm, a new Fishlips location with ocean views at Jetty Park

« Last Edit: 07/30/2016 08:11 pm by CyndyC »
"Either lead, follow, or get out of the way." -- quote of debatable origin tweeted by Ted Turner and previously seen on his desk

Offline thor1872

• Swiss
  • Liked: 66
  • Likes Given: 650
« Last Edit: 07/31/2016 02:17 am by thor1872 »

Offline CameronD

• Melbourne, Australia
    • Norton Consultants
  • Liked: 868
  • Likes Given: 548
Jokes aside, there's been no action on the ASDS front 'cause one is away getting it's bottom scrubbed...

Did I miss something? OCISLY got back from drydock over two weeks ago.

Sorry.. I haven't been watching too closely.  I've have paid work to do..  :-[

I've had another look at the latest and it does seem OCISLY was inspected on 22nd June with final USCG sign-off on the 27th.  No issues found and, assuming she doesn't get into trouble, she'll be left alone until 2018 at least.

One point of interest for both our ASDSs is a change in USCG classification from "Research Vessel" to "Industrial Vessel" ...but of course, as far as ABS are concerned, they're still barges.
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine - however, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are
going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead.

Offline Wolfram66

http://www.twopalms.com/

Elsbeth III and OCISLY heading out of PC 5:33 PM EDT

4 days til scheduled launch

Offline rpapo

How times have changed.  Only a couple of launches ago we would have been estimating departure times and sending out stalkers ahead of time.  Now it's just an footnote...
Following the space program since before Apollo 8.

Offline Hankelow8

• UK
  • Liked: 166
  • Likes Given: 68
How times have changed.  Only a couple of launches ago we would have been estimating departure times and sending out stalkers ahead of time.  Now it's just an footnote...

I think the interest level will rack up when they have to send out two barges for Falcon heavy, bring it on !

Offline mme

• Santa Barbara, CA, USA, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Virgo Supercluster
  • Liked: 2034
  • Likes Given: 5381

I think the interest level will rack up when they have to send out two barges for Falcon heavy, bring it on !
We have it from multiple sources (Elon, Gwynne, and the notice of EAS amendment) FH will land boosters back at LZ-1.
Space is not Highlander.  There can, and will, be more than one.

Offline Hankelow8

• UK
  • Liked: 166
  • Likes Given: 68

We have it from multiple sources (Elon, Gwynne, and the notice of EAS amendment) FH will land boosters back at LZ-1.

I would guess that would depend on how high performance the launch would be, but I agree most launches would be in the return to launch site thinking  about it, it's going to be unproductive to have 3 barges out at sea, not worth the cost.
So I have to admit a bit of a dumb post this time.

Offline StuffOfInterest

• Just interested in space
  • McLean, Virginia, USA
  • Liked: 920
  • Likes Given: 231

⦁   mostly telemetry servers to communicate only with the support ships, possibly also with the rocket
⦁   communication w/ Hawthorne ruled out as too far, relayed through support ships
⦁   desk
⦁   monitors

Considering the issues SpaceX has had with the sat uplink on the barge dropping out during landing due to vibration (speculation on my part) I wonder if they would do better to use an omni-directional VHF link to the support ship and then do the sat connection from there.  Also, not having sat uplink on the barge itself would cut down on the cost and complexity of equipment that has to be so close to the business end of a running rocket.

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
  • Cape Canaveral Spaceport
  • Liked: 21450
  • Likes Given: 428

rightly so.  The point is to put payloads into orbit and not to land on barges

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
  • Cape Canaveral Spaceport
  • Liked: 21450
  • Likes Given: 428

⦁   desk
⦁   monitors

Considering the issues SpaceX has had with the sat uplink on the barge dropping out during landing due to vibration (speculation on my part) I wonder if they would do better to use an omni-directional VHF link to the support ship and then do the sat connection from there.  Also, not having sat uplink on the barge itself would cut down on the cost and complexity of equipment that has to be so close to the business end of a running rocket.

Where does it say sat uplink in that list?

Offline meekGee

• N. California
  • Liked: 14046
  • Likes Given: 1392
SpaceX thinks their mission is "To enable the space flight capabilities necessary to make human life multiplanetary - or more specifically enable a self sustaining human civilization on Mars."

(From here: https://www.quora.com/What-is-SpaceXs-mission-statement)

Curiously, SpaceX agrees:

"The company was founded in 2002 to revolutionize space technology, with the ultimate goal of enabling people to live on other planets."
« Last Edit: 08/12/2016 04:48 pm by meekGee »
ABCD - Always Be Counting Down

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography