Author Topic: The "relationship" among Shuttles if they had spirits?  (Read 11969 times)

Offline astrobrian

• NSF Photographer
  • Austin Texas
  • Liked: 23
  • Likes Given: 112
Re: The "relationship" among Shuttles if they had spirits?
« Reply #20 on: 04/22/2012 03:08 am »
"When Enterprise and Discovery met for the first time at the Smithsonian"

Was this the first real meeting of Enterprise & Discovery? Wouldn't they have "met" in 1985 when Enterprise was on display at KSC for several months near the VAB?

Brent
Not face to face, more in passing and "hey who was that over there?"

Offline shela_Days

• Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #21 on: 04/22/2012 07:55 am »
Sadly they didn't bring all the three Shuttles together at KSC for a photo before Discovery left... :'(

Offline Chris Bergin

Sadly they didn't bring all the three Shuttles together at KSC for a photo before Discovery left... :'(

Would have been a lot of work, for no engineering benefit. Would have been great, but would have probably gone against the wishes of the transition happy clappers who'd rather roll out a half built Orion, including what I hear was the main person behind getting the fleet retired, a person I was told was grinning and having photos taken next to Discovery at Dulles.

Discovery should have "deployed Air Data probe" and knocked the guy out. (That's a joke before someone sends me an e-mail about a spaceship knocking out the guy who handed Russia a ton of money and resulted in the firing of thousands of skilled engineers).
« Last Edit: 04/22/2012 11:32 am by Chris Bergin »
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline Terry Rocket

• Veteran
  • Birmingham, England
  • Liked: 1
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #23 on: 04/22/2012 12:08 pm »

I like that "showdown" picture where they are about to be nose-to-nose on a road wide enough for just one of them.

However, one needs to appreciate how Enterprise was a test vehicle that never went into space, whereas Discovery was the fleet leader and very experienced. So....

Discovery: "Oh, hello! What's your name?"

Enterprise: "Honk, honk. Yous in the way me finks!"

Discovery: "Don't honk me dear! You do realize all these people are here for me."

Enterprise: "Me famous 2. Iz went 2 England, France, Vandeborg...."

Discovery: "It's Vandenberg, dear. And I've flown over all those places, in space."

Enterprise: "Wot's space?"

Discovery: "Well its the area....."

Enterprise: "HONK HONK!"

Discovery: "Honestly!"

HA!! Silly Enterprise! ;D

Offline jtrame

• W4FJT
  • Knoxville, TN
  • Liked: 86
  • Likes Given: 346
« Reply #24 on: 04/22/2012 12:15 pm »
I would imagine just prior to being powered down for the last time, Discovery asked "will I Dream?"

Offline Soaring Habu

• Flying At 80,000 Feet
« Reply #25 on: 04/22/2012 12:46 pm »
Would have been a lot of work, for no engineering benefit. Would have been great, but would have probably gone against the wishes of the transition happy clappers who'd rather roll out a half built Orion, including what I hear was the main person behind getting the fleet retired, a person I was told was grinning and having photos taken next to Discovery at Dulles.

Discovery should have "deployed Air Data probe" and knocked the guy out. (That's a joke before someone sends me an e-mail about a spaceship knocking out the guy who handed Russia a ton of money and resulted in the firing of thousands of skilled engineers).
[/quote]

Oh yes, I can definitely see Discovery knocking that guy out. :) She won't stand for any nonsense, and I've shown her doing similar things in my Shuttle cartoons! ;)
« Last Edit: 04/23/2012 09:33 am by Disco747 »
SR-71 Blackbird - Pure Speed!

Offline shela_Days

« Reply #26 on: 04/22/2012 06:16 pm »

Oh yes, I can definitely see Discovery knocking that guy out. :) She won't stand for any nonsense, and I've shown her doing similar things in my Shuttle cartoons! ;)
[/quote]

That guy sounds really like Gordon in your fic  ;D
« Last Edit: 04/22/2012 06:17 pm by shela_Days »

Offline Soaring Habu

• Flying At 80,000 Feet
« Reply #27 on: 04/23/2012 09:35 am »

That guy sounds really like Gordon in your fic  ;D
[/quote]
He does!

Offline John Duncan

• Odenville, Al
  • Liked: 12
« Reply #28 on: 04/24/2012 12:16 am »
Each of the shuttles had a tiny bit of the soul of each astronaut who flew on them.....Enterprise had less but no less brave.  Columbia and Challenger took those pieces to heaven with them and were reunited.

It's still difficult to believe we gave them up.

Offline HIPAR

• NE Pa (USA)
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #29 on: 04/24/2012 02:27 pm »
They probably would have interacted with each other as contestants in a beauty pageant.

---  CHAS

Offline rdale

• Assistant to the Chief Meteorologist
  • Lansing MI
  • Liked: 1415
  • Likes Given: 171
« Reply #30 on: 04/24/2012 02:34 pm »
They'd probably say "Seriously? Humans are dedicating this much time and effort to fantasize about what we'd say if we weren't just machines?"

Offline kch

• Liked: 496
  • Likes Given: 8807
« Reply #31 on: 04/24/2012 02:45 pm »
They'd probably say "Seriously? Humans are dedicating this much time and effort to fantasize about what we'd say if we weren't just machines?"

LOL -- as some wise person once (maybe twice) said, "Never anthropomorphize inanimate objects ... they hate that ..."  ;)

Offline Soaring Habu

• Flying At 80,000 Feet
« Reply #32 on: 04/24/2012 08:47 pm »
I've been wondering, what would Discovery and her sisters have to say about the Orion capsule if they saw it?

I know Disco would be seriously mad if she knew what was replacing her... ;) :o

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography