Author Topic: 'The Expanse' on SyFy - First trailer for new space opera show  (Read 127043 times)

Offline Ronpur50

• Brandon, FL
  • Liked: 1028
  • Likes Given: 1884
So, I see George R.R. Martin and Adam Savage have stated how much they love this show and hope it finds a new home.

Offline Ben the Space Brit

• A spaceflight fan
  • London, UK
  • Liked: 806
  • Likes Given: 900
Not to put too fine a point on it, SyFy has a habit of funding and/or producing very interesting hard SF shows and then taking fright and cancelling it after a season or so when it isn't an instant smash hit.
"Oops! I left the silly thing in reverse!" - Duck Dodgers

~*~*~*~

The Space Shuttle Program - 1981-2011

The time for words has passed; The time has come to put up or shut up!
DON'T PROPAGANDISE, FLY!!!

Offline ZachF

• Immensely complex & high risk
  • NH, USA, Earth
  • Liked: 2604
  • Likes Given: 531
Petition for Amazon or Netflix to pick up The Expanse:

https://www.change.org/p/amazon-or-netflix-please-buy-the-rights-to-the-expanse-savetheexpanse

43,000 so far
artist, so take opinions expressed above with a well-rendered grain of salt...
https://www.instagram.com/artzf/

Offline Crispy

• London
  • Liked: 783
  • Likes Given: 51
Rumours are Netflix has already turned it down, so all hopes are with Amazon at this point. We'll know within a few days.

Offline sanman

• Liked: 1312
  • Likes Given: 8
Why not Youtube Red (soon to be re-named 'Youtube Premium')?

They may be looking for additional series to put them on the map, now that they've attracted attention with their smash hit series Cobra Kai (based on the original Karate Kid movie). While they've attracted a lot of subscribers from that, people are saying that Youtube Red will need more than just one hit series if they hope to hang onto a decent subscriber base.

The Expanse is an already established hit that would be able to bring in a ready-made viewership.

« Last Edit: 05/18/2018 05:30 am by sanman »

Offline deruch

• California
  • Liked: 2006
  • Likes Given: 5634
Why not Youtube Red (soon to be re-named 'Youtube Premium')?

They may be looking for additional series to put them on the map, now that they've attracted attention with their smash hit series Cobra Kai (based on the original Karate Kid movie). While they've attracted a lot of subscribers from that, people are saying that Youtube Red will need more than just one hit series if they hope to hang onto a decent subscriber base.

The Expanse is an already established hit that would be able to bring in a ready-made viewership.

That would be spending on a whole different level for them though.  One of the advantages of going with an unestablished project is that you don't inherit their previous budgets.  Or if you take on the project but significantly reduce the budget, you then risk losing the appeal it was supposed to come with.
Shouldn't reality posts be in "Advanced concepts"?  --Nomadd

Offline Star One

• UK
  • Liked: 3974
  • Likes Given: 220
« Last Edit: 05/21/2018 10:54 pm by Star One »

Offline Lars-J

• California
  • Liked: 8485
  • Likes Given: 5384
Episode 7... now things get interesting. :)

With a couple of months time jump, the show has now entered book 3 territory. Almost felt like a season premiere. I liked it a lot.

I really hope that a season 4 renewal is announced soon. I’m still hopeful.

Offline sanman

• Liked: 1312
  • Likes Given: 8
Yes, the story has certainly crossed a threshold or inflection point with the new situation.

What is the meaning or significance of that final scene?

Offline mme

• Santa Barbara, CA, USA, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Virgo Supercluster
  • Liked: 2034
  • Likes Given: 5381
Yes, the story has certainly crossed a threshold or inflection point with the new situation.

What is the meaning or significance of that final scene?
I could see several possibilities.

Is there a "spoiler policy" on this or the entertainment threads? Personally I just avoid the thread until I watch the episode and I think it would be really interesting to discuss some of the motivations of the various characters and the proto-molecule.
Space is not Highlander.  There can, and will, be more than one.

Offline Blackstar

• Veteran
  • Liked: 7828
  • Likes Given: 2
Is there a "spoiler policy" on this or the entertainment threads? Personally I just avoid the thread until I watch the episode and I think it would be really interesting to discuss some of the motivations of the various characters and the proto-molecule.

So, having read this and other entertainment threads on this site, people have been quite polite in not spoiling episodes within 24-48 hours of airing. I think that most people wait a few days before posting any spoilers. Considering that many people no longer watch shows live, the polite policy is to wait a few days before commenting. The downside is that the spontaneity and excitement goes down.

But you are correct that your best bet is to avoid the thread until after you've watched an episode.

There is also a way to post spoilers using invisible ink here, although I don't know how that works. But I have appreciated it when somebody posts "Here is a big plot point..." and then posts it that way so you can only see the text if you highlight it.

Offline Lars-J

• California
According to Jeff Bezos himself, The Expanse has been picked up by Amazon!  :) :) :) 4th season is happening!

https://www.reddit.com/r/TheExpanse/comments/8m7o4g/jeff_bezos_just_announced_that_they_are_picking/
« Last Edit: 05/26/2018 04:27 am by Lars-J »

Offline Lars-J

• California
Jeff Foust reports: https://twitter.com/jeff_foust/statuses/1000226761659973632

Jeff Bezos announces at #ISDC2018 that Amazon is saving “The Expanse”; will be a Prime original next season. #SaveTheExpanse

Some are also reporting that Bezos mentioned seasons (as in multiple), so this might very well be a several season deal.  8)

Offline Star One

• UK
Jeff Foust reports: https://twitter.com/jeff_foust/statuses/1000226761659973632

Jeff Bezos announces at #ISDC2018 that Amazon is saving “The Expanse”; will be a Prime original next season. #SaveTheExpanse

Some are also reporting that Bezos mentioned seasons (as in multiple), so this might very well be a several season deal.  8)

Ever feel this was a Bezos personal decision?

Offline Lars-J

• California
'The Expanse' on SyFy - First trailer for new space opera show
« Reply #214 on: 05/26/2018 04:02 pm »

I doubt it had much of an impact, he’s never come across as a huge fan of the show. He obviously enjoys it and likes good press (or he wouldn’t have announced it personally) ;-), but I don’t think Amazon would have done it if it was a bad business decision.
« Last Edit: 05/26/2018 04:04 pm by Lars-J »

Offline Star One

• UK

I doubt it had much of an impact, he’s never come across as a huge fan of the show. He obviously enjoys it and likes good press (or he wouldn’t have announced it personally) ;-), but I don’t think Amazon would have done it if it was a bad business decision.

I wonder if it’s content will change as I doubt Amazon would apply the same level content control as SyFy have.

Offline speedevil

• Fife
  • Liked: 2762
  • Likes Given: 3369

'I quite like it' - $5M/week or so - is for mere mortals more like a $10/episode patreon subscription.
($150B net worth vs $300K average)

Offline Coastal Ron

• I live... along the coast
  • Liked: 10199
  • Likes Given: 11934

I was very lucky to not know the major plot points of Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens, and I was able to do that by being very strict about not reading ANY articles about the movie until after I watched it at the theater.

So that I wouldn't miss out on all of the great articles about the movie, I would book them them to a specific folder I created for that movie (other movies have folders too). Then I can catch up after I watch the movie and revel in the joy of the moment - even though it may have been a month since the movie came out.

For topics on NSF threads, just avoid the thread. That is by far the easiest things to do, and then that allows fans to talk about each episode immediately after the showing.

My $0.02
If we don't continuously lower the cost to access space, how are we ever going to afford to expand humanity out into space?

Offline Lars-J

• California
In celebration of renewal, let me share this really well-edited fan trailer for the show.  8)  (done a over a week ago as part of the #SaveTheExpanse effort, but I only saw it recently)

Offline dodo

• Belgium
  • Liked: 124
  • Likes Given: 40
Loved the belter lyrics on the Deep Purple cover.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography