Author Topic: Star Trek Discovery  (Read 110763 times)

Offline Thorny

• Regular
  • San Angelo, Texas
  • Liked: 300
  • Likes Given: 457
Re: Star Trek Discovery
« Reply #20 on: 08/11/2016 04:05 am »
More information announced today by showrunner Bryan Fuller...

"Star Trek: Discovery" will be set about 10 years before Captain Kirk's 'five year mission' on "Star Trek: The Original Series" (TOS).

It will be tied in to an event "discussed but not explored" on TOS.

The main character will be a female human with the rank of Lieutenant Commander. She is not the Captain.

There will be about seven main characters, more of whom will be aliens than on previous Star Trek series. A recent photo suggests one will be Andorian... those antennaed guys from TOS and Enterprise.

One character will be gay, a first for Star Trek.

Offline Ben the Space Brit

• A spaceflight fan
  • London, UK
  • Liked: 806
  • Likes Given: 900
« Reply #21 on: 08/11/2016 08:47 am »
Hmm... The Battle of Izar (which ended the Second Federation-Klingon War) maybe? Was that why they were trying to surpress Anaxar, because it was treading the same ground that Discovery was going to tread?

Other events in this time period:
* USS Faragut nearly destroyed by the Cloud Creature;
* Duotronic computing becomes standard across the Federation, elevating Dr Richard Daystrom to living legend status and possibly leading to his own gradual descent into insanity;
* Governor Kodos of Tarsus IV orders the execution of half his colony's population due to a fungal boom destroying the colony's food supplies.

My guess is that it's going to be the Tarsus IV massacre, in which case we'll meet Cadets Kirk, Leighton and Riley when the Discovery leads the relief efforts.

[edit]
Corrected name of one of the Tarsus trio
« Last Edit: 08/11/2016 09:44 am by Ben the Space Brit »
"Oops! I left the silly thing in reverse!" - Duck Dodgers

~*~*~*~

The Space Shuttle Program - 1981-2011

The time for words has passed; The time has come to put up or shut up!
DON'T PROPAGANDISE, FLY!!!

Offline RonM

• Atlanta, Georgia USA
  • Liked: 2231
  • Likes Given: 1584
« Reply #22 on: 08/11/2016 03:11 pm »
Hmm... The Battle of Izar (which ended the Second Federation-Klingon War) maybe? Was that why they were trying to surpress Anaxar, because it was treading the same ground that Discovery was going to tread?

* Duotronic computing becomes standard across the Federation, elevating Dr Richard Daystrom to living legend status and possibly leading to his own gradual descent into insanity;
* Governor Kodos of Tarsus IV orders the execution of half his colony's population due to a fungal boom destroying the colony's food supplies.

My guess is that it's going to be the Tarsus IV massacre, in which case we'll meet Cadets Kirk, Leighton and Riley when the Discovery leads the relief efforts.

[edit]

The problem with the Tarsus IV theory is that happened about 20 years before "The Conscience of the King" story, not 10 years.

I think you're got it right with the Anaxar theory. The show may have something to do with Garth and the fan film Anaxar gets too close to it.

Offline Thorny

• Regular
  • San Angelo, Texas
  • Liked: 300
  • Likes Given: 457
« Reply #23 on: 08/11/2016 03:22 pm »
I think you're got it right with the Anaxar theory. The show may have something to do with Garth and the fan film Anaxar gets too close to it.

No, Bryan Fuller was asked and specifically said the event in question is not Axanar.

Offline the_other_Doug

• Minneapolis, MN
  • Liked: 2191
  • Likes Given: 4620
« Reply #24 on: 08/11/2016 03:25 pm »

[edit]

I doubt it's the tale of Kodos the Executioner, as this doesn't seem that it would be a 13-chapter novel primarily involving a Federation starship.  This would be a story primarily located on/in the Tarsus IV colony itself, I would think, and rather like the middle part of a trilogy, would not satisfyingly wrap up the storyline.  The resolution of the main dramatic conflict would not happen until the events in "The Conscience of the King."

Good long-form television -- i.e., an episodic telling of a single story arc, which is what Fuller says Discovery will be -- establishes an ongoing source of dramatic tension that is not resolved until the climax of the story arc.  To me, for such a story arc, I think you need an antagonist that can continue on for the entire arc, and I don't see Kodos doing that.  At the best, you would have thirteen separate Star Trek episodes, each with a five- to ten-minute teaser of the climax that would end up being a laughable "meanwhile, back at Hell Colony with little Jimmy Kirk and his BFF, Kevin Riley" which would not be sufficient to maintain dramatic tension over 13 episodes.

I would have to believe it will deal with the Klingon wars.  Placing the series 10 years prior to TOS means it can't be the Romulan wars, since in TOS it was definitely determined that the Romulans had pulled back and gone into hiding (so to speak) something like 80 years prior to the beginning of the original series.  So, almost definitely not that.

Dealing with the last of the Klingon wars prior to the beginning of TOS provides a continuing dramatic tension, provides an antagonist (the Klingon empire) that can be reliably counted upon to deliver a "bad guy" (one or more) every week, and lets you manage a story arc over the 13 episodes.  It's also, as speculated, a very good reason why the Axanar fan project might have been shut down so hard, if this new offering deals with the same timeframe and wants to establish a different sequence of events surrounding that era within the "Star Trek Prime Universe" history.  It doesn't have to deal with the Battle of Axanar to still be dealing with the Klingon Wars, after all.

As with any dramatic presentation of any type, though, it will all come down to the writing.  Good writing can lift you up over bad acting, but the reverse is nearly impossible.  Fuller does have experience working in the Prime Universe, so maybe the writing will shine through -- but, as with a lot of things, I have to say I'll believe it when I see it.

Kudos, though, to CBS for taking a stand and insisting that a new Star Trek television offering will not go down the abomination of the timeline Abrams came up with.  That series of movies should be considered completely outside of Trek, and just one guy's none-too-successful pastiche -- a pastiche that literally does everything it can to denigrate what went before, and replace it with complete drek.  Sigh.
-Doug  (With my shield, not yet upon it)

• A spaceflight fan
  • London, UK
« Reply #25 on: 08/11/2016 06:28 pm »

No, Bryan Fuller was asked and specifically said the event in question is not Axanar.

Of course not; they can't be that stupid. However, if it's about the Battle of Izar, then it is going to include Anaxar's aftermath at the very least.

~*~*~*~

Offline Kansan52

• Hutchinson, KS
  • Liked: 570
  • Likes Given: 539
« Reply #26 on: 08/11/2016 11:17 pm »
A key element about Axanar is the production company starting merchandising Axanar. The Powers That Be looked the other way on fan material if it didn't upset the fans much and it was non-profit. The production company was privately given a chance to change and didn't. Hence the lawyers and all the good, bad, and the ugly fan fiction has been handcuffed. That may change after the lawsuit because the combo of 50th Anniversary and Lawsuit was not in the PR plans.

Offline Ronpur50

• Brandon, FL
  • Liked: 1028
  • Likes Given: 1884
« Reply #27 on: 09/15/2016 02:16 pm »
It looks like this is being pushed back to May of next year.

http://www.cinemablend.com/television/1556260/the-star-trek-tv-series-just-got-delayed-heres-what-we-know

I also read last week that Balance of Terror is the episode that gave inspiration to this series.  It makes me wonder if the lead is named Stiles.

Offline MATTBLAK

• Elite Veteran & 'J.A.F.A'
  • 'Space Cadets' Let us; UNITE!! (crickets chirping)
  • New Zealand
  • Liked: 2239
  • Likes Given: 3883
« Reply #28 on: 09/15/2016 02:20 pm »
The main lead is apparently female - Stiles was not. Besides; if the show is set about 10 years before Kirk's first era, then he'd be a teenager, or at least not much older than 19.
"Those who can't, Blog".   'Space Cadets' of the World - Let us UNITE!! (crickets chirping)

Offline Ronpur50

• Brandon, FL
« Reply #29 on: 09/15/2016 02:56 pm »
The main lead is apparently female - Stiles was not. Besides; if the show is set about 10 years before Kirk's first era, then he'd be a teenager, or at least not much older than 19.

But he wasn't the first Stiles in Star Fleet.....:)

Offline MATTBLAK

• Elite Veteran & 'J.A.F.A'
  • 'Space Cadets' Let us; UNITE!! (crickets chirping)
  • New Zealand
  • Liked: 2239
  • Likes Given: 3883
« Reply #30 on: 09/15/2016 09:47 pm »
Since Kirk's Stiles said he had a relative in the Romulan wars 100 years before, it's clearly not that person nor the one from Star Trek 3, as that spelling is Styles. Like Smith and Smyth in difference :)
"Those who can't, Blog".   'Space Cadets' of the World - Let us UNITE!! (crickets chirping)

Offline Ronpur50

• Brandon, FL
« Reply #31 on: 09/16/2016 02:07 am »
Nope, definitely not those.  He had several Stiles ancestors in Star Fleet.  If the tradition continued in his family, I think the age could be right that it could be his mother.  I guess we will have to wait until May to find out now.
« Last Edit: 09/16/2016 02:08 am by Ronpur50 »

• A spaceflight fan
  • London, UK
« Reply #32 on: 09/29/2016 09:14 pm »
We know that the events of Balance of Terror were the first contact with the Romulans in a generation, so it isn't beyond possibility that the Discovery might run into them. If so, I do hope that they remember that no-one knew what they looked like in 2266, so there can be no visual contact with them during these events.

~*~*~*~

Offline Lars-J

• California
  • Liked: 8485
  • Likes Given: 5384
« Reply #33 on: 09/30/2016 12:19 am »
We know that the events of Balance of Terror were the first contact with the Romulans in a generation, so it isn't beyond possibility that the Discovery might run into them. If so, I do hope that they remember that no-one knew what they looked like in 2266, so there can be no visual contact with them during these events.

Star Trek canon history is just a convoluted mess, so they are better off ignoring minutia like that and just doing their best to create good drama.

Offline Eric Hedman

• The birthplace of the solid body electric guitar
  • Liked: 1953
  • Likes Given: 1142
« Reply #34 on: 02/13/2017 04:17 am »

Online Blackstar

• Veteran
  • Liked: 7822
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #35 on: 02/13/2017 12:04 pm »

Star Trek canon history is just a convoluted mess, so they are better off ignoring minutia like that and just doing their best to create good drama.

I wouldn't call it a convoluted mess. There are some contradictions, some of which are significant. But they have paid attention to canon, just not been rigidly adherent to it. And I think there are easy ways to explain away some of the contradictions. They could do the same with the Romulans--some humans could see the Romulans, but it might not get reported or recorded, so Kirk isn't aware of it later. Ditto for the new look Klingons. Maybe they are a racial offshoot or something.
« Last Edit: 02/13/2017 12:04 pm by Blackstar »

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #36 on: 02/13/2017 02:45 pm »
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Online Blackstar

• Veteran
« Reply #37 on: 02/13/2017 08:07 pm »
Pfft! I'm going to need a mud bath after seeing that. ;)

No matter what, we do not want to see pictures.

Online Blackstar

• Veteran
« Reply #38 on: 02/13/2017 09:26 pm »
Although my heart belongs to the original series, I have a lot of respect for Deep Space 9, which I think explored a lot of themes and subjects where the other Trek series were not bold enough to go. One of the series writers is working on a documentary about Deep Space 9 and is conducting an Indiegogo campaign to raise money to produce it:

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/what-we-left-behind-star-trek-deep-space-nine-doc#/

They already achieved their initial goal and their stretch goal. I think this could be interesting, and they have almost all the original cast involved (except for Avery Brooks, aka Captain Sisko, who is a bit of an... outlier). So check it out and pitch in if you support it.

Offline Ronpur50

• Brandon, FL
« Reply #39 on: 02/14/2017 03:58 am »
I was hoping this was an error and this was from Doctor Who and they were the new Draconians.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography