Author Topic: SpaceX Falcon 9 : GovSat-1 (SES-16) : Jan 31. 2018 - Discussion  (Read 207792 times)

Offline Ben the Space Brit

• A spaceflight fan
  • London, UK
  • Liked: 806
  • Likes Given: 900
I wonder what sort of plan SpaceX is hatching to recover the stage?...  ???

Where are the Liberty Star and Freedom Star these days anyway?
"Oops! I left the silly thing in reverse!" - Duck Dodgers

~*~*~*~

The Space Shuttle Program - 1981-2011

The time for words has passed; The time has come to put up or shut up!
DON'T PROPAGANDISE, FLY!!!

Offline matthewkantar

• Liked: 2506
  • Likes Given: 2211
Freedom star is in reserve with the USDOT, Liberty Star is now TV Kings Pointer with the USMMA.

Offline russianhalo117

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 4672
  • Likes Given: 768
Freedom star is in reserve with the USDOT, Liberty Star is now TV Kings Pointer with the USMMA.
All shuttle specific hardware was removed after SRB recovery was dropped from SLS.

Offline Rangertech1

It will be a difficult task to tow that booster if they attempt it at all. Not as simple as attaching a cable. I doubt it has any cathodic protection either. Those are the sacrificial blocks of metal that corrode in lieu of the hull. In this case the hull is very thin aluminum. If it makes it back, it will look like moths have been chewing on it. Another first for SpaceX. First flown booster done in by electrolysis.
Solid Rocket boosters get a bum rap. " Fireworks," I beg your pardon Sir! Cheap thrust is still thrust.

Offline SLC

• London, UK
  • Liked: 122
  • Likes Given: 2302
Have there been any more pictures of Floaty McFloatface, apart from the original one from Elon?

Offline penguin44

• Liked: 93
  • Likes Given: 334
Could they use a cargo crane helicopter to fly it to shore?

Offline pb2000

• Calgary, AB
  • Liked: 759
  • Likes Given: 237
Nope, way too heavy.
Launches attended: Worldview-4 (Atlas V 401), Iridium NEXT Flight 1 (Falcon 9 FT), PAZ+Starlink (Falcon 9 FT), Arabsat-6A (Falcon Heavy)
Pilgrimaged to: Boca Chica (09/19 & 01/22)

Offline Pete

• Cubicle
  • Liked: 1028
  • Likes Given: 395
Nope, way too heavy.

If by "they" you mean SpaceX or the US, no.

If your "they" includes the russian military, sure. The Mi-26 can carry 20 tons easy, with a range of more than 800km.
Fishing something out of the water might be a bit more of a challenge, of course.
And one would presume that SpaceX, the US navy, and many others would have something to say about such an attempt, so...no.

Offline John Alan

• Central IL - USA - Earth
    • Home of the ThreadRipper Cadillac
  • Liked: 721
  • Likes Given: 2735
Nope, way too heavy.

Agreed... not even close... if still in one piece...  I cited sources...
F9 Stage 1 dry [1] is over weight for even the mighty Mi-26 [4] to budge...  ;)
And the CH-47 [2] and CH-53 [3]?... no way...  :P

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Falcon_9_Full_Thrust#Vehicle_specifications
[2] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing_CH-47_Chinook#Specifications_(CH-47F)
[3] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sikorsky_CH-53E_Super_Stallion#Specifications_(CH-53E)
[4] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mil_Mi-26#Specifications_(Mi-26)
« Last Edit: 02/04/2018 08:11 am by John Alan »

Offline Kaputnik

• Extreme Veteran
  • Liked: 722
  • Likes Given: 821
It will be a difficult task to tow that booster if they attempt it at all. Not as simple as attaching a cable. I doubt it has any cathodic protection either. Those are the sacrificial blocks of metal that corrode in lieu of the hull. In this case the hull is very thin aluminum. If it makes it back, it will look like moths have been chewing on it. Another first for SpaceX. First flown booster done in by electrolysis.

Just to be pedantic, it's anodic protection that is required. And aluminium is actually reasonably tolerant of corrosion. It depends on the exact alloy used, but bare aluminium hulls can last for decades in seawater (I use such a vessel everyday at work).
"I don't care what anything was DESIGNED to do, I care about what it CAN do"- Gene Kranz

Offline ziceva

• Bucharest
  • Liked: 8
  • Likes Given: 0
Nope, way too heavy.

Agreed... not even close... if still in one piece...  I cited sources...
F9 Stage 1 dry [1] is over weight for even the mighty Mi-26 [4] to budge...  ;)
And the CH-47 [2] and CH-53 [3]?... no way...  :P

[Not that it is in any way realistic to use that (and probably straying offtopic) but ..] The world record for helicopters is 40000 kg (@ a height of more than 2km) ... too bad only prototypes were ever built ... and are by now probably rusted all up .. I am talking about the older cousin of the Mi-26 .. the Mil V-12 ...
« Last Edit: 02/05/2018 08:17 pm by ziceva »

Offline .Scott

• NH
  • Liked: 8
  • Likes Given: 17
« Last Edit: 02/06/2018 12:07 pm by .Scott »

Offline abaddon

• Liked: 3900
  • Likes Given: 5274
Has anyone else noticed that SpaceX still hasn't posted the launch webcast on their youtube page?

Maybe they're just busy right now... can't imagine what that might be... but it still seems a little odd.

Offline cscott

• Liked: 2867
  • Likes Given: 726
And still sitting there.  So no role in FH, apparently.  I guess not terribly surprising there's no fairing recovery attempt this mission.
Elon tweeted out a graphic timeline for the FH flight which included fairing recovery, but it turns out it was an NSF-created graphic. I'm going to stick with "no fairing recovery on FH".

So Go Searcher is done, I guess. I wonder what's going on in the Bahamas?

Offline symbios

• Elon Musk fan
  • Sweden
  • Liked: 152
  • Likes Given: 739

Just to be pedantic, it's anodic protection that is required. And aluminium is actually reasonably tolerant of corrosion. It depends on the exact alloy used, but bare aluminium hulls can last for decades in seawater (I use such a vessel everyday at work).

Unless you have an electrical error in which case it can corrode over night... :)
I'm a fan, not a fanatic...

Offline russianhalo117

• Global Moderator
Has anyone else noticed that SpaceX still hasn't posted the launch webcast on their youtube page?

Maybe they're just busy right now... can't imagine what that might be... but it still seems a little odd.
it is there, just unlisted as all livestreams are after they conclude. that is so copyrighted music can be removed before making it public again.

Offline abaddon

• Liked: 3900
  • Likes Given: 5274
it is there, just unlisted as all livestreams are after they conclude. that is so copyrighted music can be removed before making it public again.
Right, usually they make it public within an hour or so of mission completion, so it's just a little weird.

Offline russianhalo117

• Global Moderator
Right, usually they make it public within an hour or so of mission completion, so it's just a little weird.
It is still viewable in unlisted mode with the edits made but they forgot to relist after the edit.

« Last Edit: 02/06/2018 06:59 pm by russianhalo117 »

Offline OxCartMark

• Former barge watcher now into water towers
  • Michigan
  • Liked: 2072
  • Likes Given: 1555
So what's the news with the hauling backing of the splashdowned core?
Actulus Ferociter!

Offline Ben the Space Brit

• A spaceflight fan
  • London, UK
  • Liked: 806
  • Likes Given: 900
Allegedly, it's been sunk by Uncle Sam!

Whatever the case, trusted anonymous sources have confirmed to AmericaSpace that the U.S. Air Force carried out an air strike to blow up the floating booster.

http://www.americaspace.com/2018/02/08/air-force-strike-takes-out-spacexs-floating-govsat-booster/

The term 'trusted anonymous source' always makes me twitch. Personally, I'll wait until someone is willing to go officially on the record about this.

IMHO, it would be more reasonable for divers working for private salvage engineers to blow holes in the tanks with small charges to flood them and cause the core to sink, if that's the direction that SpaceX chose to go.
"Oops! I left the silly thing in reverse!" - Duck Dodgers

~*~*~*~

The Space Shuttle Program - 1981-2011

The time for words has passed; The time has come to put up or shut up!
DON'T PROPAGANDISE, FLY!!!

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography