Author Topic: Proton's appearances  (Read 1852 times)

Offline Paper Kosmonaut

• Grunn NL
    • PK's blog
  • Liked: 42
  • Likes Given: 5
Proton's appearances
« on: 10/03/2012 05:09 pm »
Since my question seems to be ignored in the sticky Proton section, I decided to try and ask my questions this way.
Since you all appear to be quite well-informed on the Proton's ins and outs, perhaps someone can help me with this question:
Some Protons are painted all-white, and some are apparently bare metal, apart for the 1st stage external tank fairings and shroud. Those must be composite parts.
It appears to be arbitrary and not depending whether they are Proton M or K variants - but I might be wrong in that.
What's the purpose of the difference in appearance?
Thanks in advance!
PK - dei t dut mout t waiten!

Offline patchfree

• webmaster and russian space fan
  • Poitiers, France
    • kosmosnews.fr, l'actualité spatiale russe en français
  • Liked: 8
  • Likes Given: 6
Re: Proton's appearances
« Reply #1 on: 10/03/2012 05:15 pm »
Only for a question of weight: sometimes the payload is very heavy and reachs the limits of the rocket performance. So, to save some hundreds of Kgs the paint is omitted.
http://kosmosnews.fr l'actualité spatiale russe en français

Offline Paper Kosmonaut

• Grunn NL
    • PK's blog
  • Liked: 42
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #2 on: 10/03/2012 05:28 pm »
Thank you! That was quite helpful indeed. I could have guessed this answer, but to know for sure is better. It's because I am planning a paper model of a Proton in that bare metal finish - and wanted to know which one I should take.
A very beautiful site for Russian paper model rockets is Leonid Cherkashyn's Space Flight paper modelling site.
PK - dei t dut mout t waiten!

Offline PDJennings

• Liked: 8
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #3 on: 10/03/2012 08:09 pm »
Since my question seems to be ignored in the sticky Proton section, I decided to try and ask my questions this way.
Since you all appear to be quite well-informed on the Proton's ins and outs, perhaps someone can help me with this question:
Some Protons are painted all-white, and some are apparently bare metal, apart for the 1st stage external tank fairings and shroud. Those must be composite parts.
It appears to be arbitrary and not depending whether they are Proton M or K variants - but I might be wrong in that.
What's the purpose of the difference in appearance?
Thanks in advance!

Another factor is intended storage period.  I believe the unpainted Protons are ship & shoot vehicles, with no storage period planned.  If there is any requirement to store the vehicle for any length of time, I think it has to be painted.  Many times, but not always, the Federal missions fall in this category.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography