Author Topic: Returned Falcon 9 OG2 First Stage Transported to 39A HIF  (Read 73722 times)

Offline david1971

• Liked: 109
  • Likes Given: 15078
Re: Returned Falcon 9 OG2 First Stage Transported to 39A HIF
« Reply #120 on: 08/29/2016 06:03 am »
I understand the appeal of having this stage back in Hawthorne.  However, being outside in the elements is disappointing.

I'd rather see it fly again or be in the Smithsonian than slowly decaying outside.

They could have used one of the abused GTO boosters as a lawn ornament.
The elements in Hawthorne are relatively benign. The climate is generally hot and dry most of the time (less than 13"/year of precip). Air pollution might eventually cause issues, but rust probably won't the one of them in the near term.

There are lots of rocket parts on display in outside conditions around southern California, some having been there for decades.  And since Hawthorne is 7 miles from the Pacific ocean the air doesn't get too dry, but could be a little salty depending on the fog.

I'm sure SpaceX knows the conditions this museum piece will be in, and I wouldn't be surprised if this is just a temporary installation (i.e. years, not decades) until it moves to it's final resting point.

I visited Palmdale last year, and was pleasantly reminded that there's an SCA up there (spare parts for SOFIA, I think).  There were also a pair of SR-71s and a U2, amongst several other planes, just sitting out in the open.  Sure, I'd rather have all of these in nice climate-controlled environments, but they seem to be holding up OK in their current environment.

Offline woods170

• IRAS fan
  • IRAS fan
  • The Netherlands
  • Liked: 14964
  • Likes Given: 9159
« Reply #121 on: 08/29/2016 08:24 am »
I understand the appeal of having this stage back in Hawthorne.  However, being outside in the elements is disappointing.

I'd rather see it fly again or be in the Smithsonian than slowly decaying outside.

The elements in Hawthorne are relatively benign. The climate is generally hot and dry most of the time (less than 13"/year of precip). Air pollution might eventually cause issues, but rust probably won't the one of them in the near term.

There are lots of rocket parts on display in outside conditions around southern California, some having been there for decades.  And since Hawthorne is 7 miles from the Pacific ocean the air doesn't get too dry, but could be a little salty depending on the fog.

I'm sure SpaceX knows the conditions this museum piece will be in, and I wouldn't be surprised if this is just a temporary installation (i.e. years, not decades) until it moves to it's final resting point.
Minor nit. It's not a museum piece. It's a display piece. Small, but significant difference.

Offline Zed_Noir

• Canada
  • Liked: 1266
  • Likes Given: 1131
« Reply #122 on: 08/29/2016 10:50 am »

Think both the COT-1 Dragon ceiling mobile and the OG2 Falcon 9 booster stage totem pole will be pass on to the Smithsonian once there is something to take their places. Like the 1st crew Dragon capsule and the 1st reused Falcon 9 booster stage after several flights.

Also give the Smithsonian some time to figure out how to display a 15 storeys tall exhibit.

Online docmordrid

• Michigan
  • Liked: 4187
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #123 on: 08/29/2016 03:09 pm »
Hmmmm...is there room there for the first retired BFS? Maybe have to take down another small building though....
DM

Online FutureSpaceTourist

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
  • Liked: 51192
  • Likes Given: 21738
« Reply #124 on: 12/19/2016 08:09 pm »
How's this for an early Xmas present:

So awesome to get a piece of the first orbital-class rocket that landed on earth!  (landed a year ago this week!)

https://twitter.com/spacextrip/status/810947104906428416

Trip's twitter profile says he's the SpaceX manager of Falcon launch fleet operations.
« Last Edit: 12/19/2016 08:10 pm by FutureSpaceTourist »

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement SkyTale Software GmbH
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography