Author Topic: SpaceX Falcon 9 v1.1 - CASSIOPE - September, 2013 - GENERAL DISCUSSION THREAD  (Read 507436 times)

Offline Kabloona

• Velocitas Eradico
  • Fortress of Solitude
  • Liked: 3429
  • Likes Given: 741
Did they perform the first stage test this week as planned? It's starting to look like SpaceX will miss their July 9th target date. They seem to be falling farther behind schedule. My opinion: Too much focus on reuse and not enough focus on customers. SpaceX needs to remember who is paying their bills.

A 10-second test was planned for yesterday (Weds) according to SpaceX (see the McGregor testing thread).

edit: corrected date
« Last Edit: 05/09/2013 05:06 pm by Kabloona »

Offline bunker9603

• Cincinnati, Ohio
  • Liked: 20
  • Likes Given: 447
Did they perform the first stage test this week as planned? It's starting to look like SpaceX will miss their July 9th target date. They seem to be falling farther behind schedule. My opinion: Too much focus on reuse and not enough focus on customers. SpaceX needs to remember who is paying their bills.

I thought the 10 second test was scheduled for yesterday or today, I have no idea if it did or didn't happen, but how do you draw the conclusion that they are falling farther behind based on that one minor detail? Even if the test happens next week I think they will still be ok.

Offline averagespacejoe

• Liked: 51
  • Likes Given: 0
2 more months till liftoff! Maybe.... :)

Offline Danderman

• Extreme Veteran
  • Liked: 699
  • Likes Given: 723

SpaceX seems to know what they are doing.

Schedule slips are routine in aerospace.

Offline McDew

• Regular
  • Liked: 110
  • Likes Given: 51
FWIW I heard the launch was delayed to NET July 20.

Offline ChefPat

• Earth, for now
  • Liked: 125
  • Likes Given: 1022
Will CASSIOPE use the big fairing?
Playing Politics with Commercial Crew is Un-American!!!

Offline Skyrocket

• Extreme Veteran
  • Frankfurt am Main, Germany
  • Liked: 940
  • Likes Given: 172
Will CASSIOPE use the big fairing?

There is no other type of fairing

Offline ChefPat

• Earth, for now
  • Liked: 125
  • Likes Given: 1022
I've been searching for a couple hours now & can find no reference to a delay from July 9th except for this thread.
Where does the July 20 date come from?
Vandenberg AFB Launch Schedule
As noted in the above link, the page was updated on 5/13/2013.
« Last Edit: 05/18/2013 04:54 pm by ChefPat »
Playing Politics with Commercial Crew is Un-American!!!

Offline Nate_Trost

• Liked: 47
  • Likes Given: 2
You get industry scuttlebutt in these threads. Although considering that the first stage at least, is still sitting in Texas, I'd be more a little skeptical of July 20 at this point.

Things/milestones we are still waiting to hear about in this thread:

* Stage testing completed in TX
* Stage shipped from TX, arrives at VAFB
* First time stage integration at new facility
* First ever WDR of 1.1 and of the SLC-4E pad
* First time SpaceX integrates a satellite payload on a F9
* First time SpaceX has dealt with the F9 fairing as part of integration/launch prep
* Pad static-fire?

Offline Prober

• Save the spin....I'm keeping you honest!
  • Nevada
  • Liked: 721
  • Likes Given: 729
You get industry scuttlebutt in these threads. Although considering that the first stage at least, is still sitting in Texas, I'd be more a little skeptical of July 20 at this point.

Things/milestones we are still waiting to hear about in this thread:

* Stage testing completed in TX
* Stage shipped from TX, arrives at VAFB
* First time stage integration at new facility
* First ever WDR of 1.1 and of the SLC-4E pad
* First time SpaceX integrates a satellite payload on a F9
* First time SpaceX has dealt with the F9 fairing as part of integration/launch prep
* Pad static-fire?

Don't forgot the pad being complete
« Last Edit: 05/20/2013 08:18 pm by Prober »
2017 - Everything Old is New Again.
"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant..." --Isoroku Yamamoto

Offline Robotbeat

• Minnesota
  • Liked: 25240
  • Likes Given: 12115
Who says the pad isn't complete? A lot of the v1.1 pad work they were doing even before the last v1.0 rocket launched.
Chris  Whoever loves correction loves knowledge, but he who hates reproof is stupid.

To the maximum extent practicable, the Federal Government shall plan missions to accommodate the space transportation services capabilities of United States commercial providers. US law http://goo.gl/YZYNt0

Offline TrueBlueWitt

• Space Nut
  • Mars in my lifetime!
  • DeWitt, MI
  • Liked: 300
  • Likes Given: 487
Who says the pad isn't complete? A lot of the v1.1 pad work they were doing even before the last v1.0 rocket launched.

At Vandenberg?

Offline Robotbeat

• Minnesota
  • Liked: 25240
  • Likes Given: 12115

At Vandenberg?
Ah, yes, you're right *looks-sheepishly-at-thread-title*. But still, how do we know the pad isn't ready, um, already? (Honest question)
Chris  Whoever loves correction loves knowledge, but he who hates reproof is stupid.

To the maximum extent practicable, the Federal Government shall plan missions to accommodate the space transportation services capabilities of United States commercial providers. US law http://goo.gl/YZYNt0

Offline Antares

• ABO^2
  • Done arguing with amateurs
  • Liked: 371
  • Likes Given: 228
Because SpaceX would have crowed about it?
If I like something on NSF, it's probably because I know it to be accurate.  Every once in a while, it's just something I agree with.  Facts generally receive the former.

Offline SpacexULA

• Liked: 53
  • Likes Given: 73
Because SpaceX would have crowed about it?

SpaceX held off on "crowing" about things often before.  How often have people in this forum known things months before the press release?
« Last Edit: 05/25/2013 06:21 pm by SpacexULA »
No Bucks no Buck Rogers, but at least Flexible path gets you Twiki.

Offline Chris Bergin

We're going with To Be Determined on all SpaceX Falcon 9 launches for this year at least, because that's what the internal range information on L2 is going with.
« Last Edit: 05/25/2013 02:12 pm by Chris Bergin »
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline Prober

• Save the spin....I'm keeping you honest!
  • Nevada
  • Liked: 721
  • Likes Given: 729
We're going with To Be Determined on all SpaceX Falcon 9 launches for this year at least, because that's what the internal range information on L2 is going with.

Chris better turn your troll filters on. :o
2017 - Everything Old is New Again.
"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant..." --Isoroku Yamamoto

Offline edkyle99

• Expert
    • Space Launch Report
  • Liked: 8566
  • Likes Given: 1356
This should not be a surprise.  New rocket.  New launch pads. 

- Ed Kyle

Offline deltaV

• Change in velocity
  • Liked: 621
  • Likes Given: 2136
Ow. It sounds like Elon may be directing too much resources to achieving his dreams of e.g. reusability and not enough to achieving his customers' dream of payloads in orbit in a timely fashion. Maybe Gwynne should remind him that his customers will only pay him to achieve his dreams if he helps them achieve theirs too.
« Last Edit: 05/25/2013 05:03 pm by deltaV »

Offline ugordan

• My mainly Cassini image gallery
  • Liked: 3543
  • Likes Given: 759
It sounds like Elon may be directing too much resources to achieving his dreams of e.g. reusability and not enough to achieving his customers' dream of payloads in orbit in a timely fashion.

Where exactly does it say these delays are due to pushing reusability as opposed to actually making the "basic" launch vehicle work at all?

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography