Author Topic: Expanding the Chinese space section?  (Read 3698 times)

Offline Hungry4info3

• Liked: 163
  • Likes Given: 81
Expanding the Chinese space section?
« on: 05/25/2021 12:16 am »
Has there been any thought given into expanding the section of the forum dedicated to Chinese spaceflight? Their space programme is rapidly developing, non-SOE entities are getting into the fun, and with the Chinese economy on an upward trend, it seems clear that China will be at least as busy in space as the US has been over the last few decades.

Offline eeergo

Re: Expanding the Chinese space section?
« Reply #1 on: 05/25/2021 09:16 am »
Has there been any thought given into expanding the section of the forum dedicated to Chinese spaceflight? Their space programme is rapidly developing, non-SOE entities are getting into the fun, and with the Chinese economy on an upward trend, it seems clear that China will be at least as busy in space as the US has been over the last few decades.

I would argue for the inclusion of the CSS/(Big)Tiangong/Tianhe station in the Space Station section too. After all, there's only two crewed space stations in orbit, and the "In-Space Hardware" section is simultaneously underutilized and serves as a dumpbox for ambiguous topics. Still, small-scale outposts could be sent there if they ever materialize, as it's already predisposed for Bigelow's. Shenzhou-specific threads could be kept in the main Chinese section, à la Soyuz/CrewDragon-ISS Expedition XY threads.

There's also a bit of anarchy in the Space Science section that I would implore mods to look into sorting: there isn't a clear distinction for when (or which) missions should end up there, which results in arbitrary cherry picking. Also, the former "MSL" section, which now comprises all working US surface Martian missions including Insight (and bizarrely the Viking astrobiology experiments), does not include non-US missions, which suboptimally includes (excludes) Zhurong.
-DaviD-

Offline jebbo

• Cambridge, UK
  • Liked: 608
  • Likes Given: 309
Re: Expanding the Chinese space section?
« Reply #2 on: 05/25/2021 09:35 am »
There's also a bit of anarchy in the Space Science section that I would implore mods to look into sorting: there isn't a clear distinction for when (or which) missions should end up there, which results in arbitrary cherry picking. Also, the former "MSL" section, which now comprises all working US surface Martian missions including Insight (and bizarrely the Viking astrobiology experiments), does not include non-US missions, which suboptimally includes (excludes) Zhurong.

Yup. I thought the guidline was that science missions move to Space Science post-launch, but as you say, it is very spotty in whether they do or not.

I've raised the MSL section previously, but nothing has happened yet.

--- Tony

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography