Author Topic: NASA in 100 years time  (Read 8984 times)

Offline Christine

• Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: NASA in 100 years time
« Reply #20 on: 04/03/2007 04:21 am »
The way things are going in the last decade, I don't expect the US to be a major world economic power for any more than the next 25 years. Less if bretton woods 2 completely unravels. What NASA becomes is largely irrelevant.

Offline Antares

• ABO^2
  • Done arguing with amateurs
  • Liked: 371
  • Likes Given: 228
« Reply #21 on: 04/03/2007 05:21 am »
Sometime next decade, maybe the one after if New.Space and/or the Chinese are slow, space will rise to the level of importance that it becomes a Cabinet department in the U.S.  There will be separate bureaus for military and civilian applications (though I already wish we could get some DoD toys to Mars) and hopefully an infrastructure bureau for common technologies like launchers and closed ECLSS, colonies and ISRU.  The first A in NASA will be divested to either the FAA or the USAF depending on how classified the technology needs to be.

Or, with a similar rise in importance, aviation and mundane space functions could get absorbed into the Department of Transportation, since our officious politicians will decide to regulate space.  More cutting edge, true exploration functions will be retained by an independent agency like NASA, but with a different name.  NExA?

Long story short, NASA won't exist in 15-25 years.
If I like something on NSF, it's probably because I know it to be accurate.  Every once in a while, it's just something I agree with.  Facts generally receive the former.

Offline Gary

« Reply #22 on: 04/03/2007 01:23 pm »
khallow - 2/4/2007  9:29 PM

I think we won't have anything resembling current day NASA in a 100 years. My take is that in 50 years, we'll have a substantial space presence. NASA will turn out to be inadequate at that point. For example, we'll need sophisticated traffic control (and maybe orbital cleanup), some sort of space-based law enforcement and perhaps emergency services, and various legal issues (over property, externalities, etc). I don't think NASA can keep up with that. And I'm ignoring technological improvements. Materials improvements might enable a space elevator, for example.

I figure the components will be split up around 2050 into more sensible bureaucracies.

Didn't Werner Von Braun say the same thing in the 1960's?

Offline khallow

• Extreme Veteran
  • Liked: 8
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #23 on: 04/03/2007 04:48 pm »
Gary - 3/4/2007  6:23 AM

khallow - 2/4/2007  9:29 PM

I think we won't have anything resembling current day NASA in a 100 years. My take is that in 50 years, we'll have a substantial space presence. NASA will turn out to be inadequate at that point. For example, we'll need sophisticated traffic control (and maybe orbital cleanup), some sort of space-based law enforcement and perhaps emergency services, and various legal issues (over property, externalities, etc). I don't think NASA can keep up with that. And I'm ignoring technological improvements. Materials improvements might enable a space elevator, for example.

I figure the components will be split up around 2050 into more sensible bureaucracies.

Didn't Werner Von Braun say the same thing in the 1960's?

No idea. But he still has ten or so years to be right, if he did.

My take is that we're on the verge of extensive private activity in space which would mean greater need for some sort of authority (not necessarily a government though that's my bet) to manage that. There's substantial conflict between NASA's many directives: their manned program, space science programs, and directive to "seek and encourage, to the maximum extent possible, the fullest commercial use of space". I only see that growing over the next few decades.
Karl Hallowell

Offline Pete at Edwards

• Liked: 383
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #24 on: 04/05/2007 04:45 am »
Nothing an asteriod, aliens or Islamic extreemists in space wouldn't hurt!

Offline MTAS

• Plant City FL (just east of Tampa)
« Reply #25 on: 04/05/2007 07:52 pm »
Gary - 2/4/2007  4:15 PM

paulhbell07 - 2/4/2007  10:14 AM

Sorry guy's, but according to Star Trek we will have a 3rd world war about 2050 and man will have warp drive around 2060. Then mankind will rejoyce in a new found friendship with the vulcans. From there who knows.

Sorry, just a bit of fun. Well not the war bit (nasty).

Actually warp drive is in 2068 and world war three was supposed to kick off around 1996 - Guess we missed it!  :laugh:

Hmmm...sure about that?    I think paulhbell07 is correct ;)  Way off topic here, but it's fun :)  Check http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/The_Sundered

Dave

Offline hornet

• Regular
RE: NASA in 100 years time
« Reply #26 on: 04/06/2007 07:52 pm »

Offline Andy USA

• Lead Moderator
  • Administrator
  • Los Angeles, California
  • Liked: 206
  • Likes Given: 255
« Reply #27 on: 04/07/2007 02:21 am »
hornet - 6/4/2007  2:52 PM

Warp Drive April 5, 2063 :)

http://www.startrek.com/startrek/view/features/specials/article/5155.html

Delayed to 2080 by budget cuts due to the war with Canada. :)

Offline paulhbell07

• Extreme Veteran
  • South Yorkshire
  • Liked: 1
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #28 on: 04/07/2007 11:21 am »
Andy, have you been watching South park the movie.

Offline British NASA

• Veteran
« Reply #29 on: 04/07/2007 01:00 pm »
Andy USA - 6/4/2007  9:21 PM

hornet - 6/4/2007  2:52 PM

Warp Drive April 5, 2063 :)

http://www.startrek.com/startrek/view/features/specials/article/5155.html

Delayed to 2080 by budget cuts due to the war with Canada. :)

Dennis Leary did warn that they are looking to come over the border and steal your cheese  :laugh:

Offline E_ E_ H

• Fascinated
  • Southampton, UK
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #30 on: 04/10/2007 10:14 am »
This thread is turning rather surreal!
Ground control to Major Chris....

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman