Author Topic: Pad 39A - Transition to SpaceX Falcon Heavy debut - Thread 1  (Read 302743 times)

Offline philw1776

• Seacoast NH
  • Liked: 1842
  • Likes Given: 983
So, the schedule now is that- if no further delays appear- FH debut flight will fly in Q3/Q4 2016? this is a year-long delay on the previous launch schedule...

I just hope that Musk does not fire SpaceX's CTO for repeated announcement of schedules that are not met.
FULL SEND!!!!

Offline meekGee

• N. California
  • Liked: 14046
  • Likes Given: 1392

Further down though is something at a slant.  Could it be a swing arm that swings vertically? 

Is that not on the ground, behind the FSS? To me it looks like pipes going off into the distance.

'doh.  Yup.  That's what it is.  :) 
ABCD - Always Be Counting Down

Offline DanielW

• L-22
  • Liked: 577
  • Likes Given: 85
It looks to me like the catwalk peeking around the back on the right side is the right height for a crew access arm and it looks hinged. So arm stows on the side and swings out? I am guessing there will eventually be a access door where it would meet. Also the roof of the cat walk is peaked instead of lean-to style. Makes me think that it is not permanently along the side like that.

Offline cscott

• Liked: 2867
  • Likes Given: 726
So, the schedule now is that- if no further delays appear- FH debut flight will fly in Q3/Q4 2016? this is a year-long delay on the previous launch schedule...
Lightsail is on the second FH flight, and they have said to expect that to be in fall 2016.  That fits in with an April debut flight of FH.

Offline russianhalo117

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 4673
  • Likes Given: 768
Upper stage kinda looks stretched too?

That was my first impression too. 

EDIT: Two truss structures hiding behind the FSS.  At the top is the crew access structure, which I guess telescopes out.  Further down though is something at a slant.  Could it be a swing arm that swings vertically?  the upper stage appears to be the same for both F9 and FH.

The front wheels of the T/W are tracked, one track on each side, and it looks like the back wheels run on tyres.  Does that conform to what's laid out already?
The other is the triangular interface between FSS and RSS. If thats not what your talking about then highlight it with circles in Photoshop.

No your CAS claim is invalid as that structure is left from both Apollo and Shuttle and hold all of the towers microwave, Sat, and wire Antennas.
The other is the RSS Interface (hinge) with FSS.
« Last Edit: 09/03/2015 04:42 pm by russianhalo117 »

Offline meekGee

• N. California

EDIT: Two truss structures hiding behind the FSS.  At the top is the crew access structure, which I guess telescopes out.  Further down though is something at a slant.  Could it be a swing arm that swings vertically?  the upper stage appears to be the same for both F9 and FH.

The front wheels of the T/W are tracked, one track on each side, and it looks like the back wheels run on tyres.  Does that conform to what's laid out already?
The other is the triangular interface between FSS and RSS. If thats not what your talking about then highlight it with circles in Photoshop.

No your CAS claim is mute as that structure is left from both Apollo and Shuttle and hold all of the towers microwave, Sat, and wire Antennas.

What CAS claim did I make?   Do you mean "that I guess telescopes out"?  Well it either telescopes or it's a swing arm...  We only see the end of the fixed part of the mechanism.  The answer may not even be in this model.
« Last Edit: 09/03/2015 05:12 am by meekGee »

Offline philw1776

• Seacoast NH
  • Liked: 1842
  • Likes Given: 983
No your CAS claim is mute as that structure is left from both Apollo and Shuttle and hold all of the towers microwave, Sat, and wire Antennas.

Moot, not mute.
FULL SEND!!!!

Offline russianhalo117

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 4673
  • Likes Given: 768

What CAS claim did I make?   Do you mean "that I guess telescopes out"?  Well it either telescopes or its a swing arm...  We only see the end of the fixed part of the mechanism.  The answer may not even be in this model.
except that the antenna truss is staying and not planned for removal all access the from the escape side of the FSS. The graphic is not a complete graphic. All data presently points to to the attach point from the GOX vent arm for access.

Offline meekGee

• N. California

What CAS claim did I make?   Do you mean "that I guess telescopes out"?  Well it either telescopes or its a swing arm...  We only see the end of the fixed part of the mechanism.  The answer may not even be in this model.
except that the antenna truss is staying and not planned for removal all access the from the escape side of the FSS. The graphic is not a complete graphic. All data presently points to to the attach point from the GOX vent arm for access.

Sure, except it happens to be at the same height, but if it ends up being a new structure, I don't really mind - I was commenting on what was visible in the picture, not what was missing....

Anyhoo, as long as people are spell checking, might as well grammar check too - "moot" is the wrong word here.  You meant to say "wrong".  :)

Offline Bargemanos

• The Netherlands
  • Liked: 108
  • Likes Given: 684
Also, the hold down's have to twice as strong because on the picture there are only two holding one core down. Instead of 4.

Online PreferToLurk

• Liked: 388
  • Likes Given: 189
Also, the hold down's have to twice as strong because on the picture there are only two holding one core down. Instead of 4.

I don't usually chime in on nit picks like this... but... 

OR,  the current hold downs are massively overbuilt and they will simply eat into that margin when launching the single stick.  We know that the Heavy only has 8 hold downs instead of a perfectly scaled up 12 from single stick.

OR, the two side hold downs can slide in, but are not shown that way for emphasis that the T/E is the same between configurations. 

Either way, we do not need to assume that the hold downs have been strengthened.

Offline meekGee

• N. California

I don't usually chime in on nit picks like this... but... 

OR,  the current hold downs are massively overbuilt and they will simply eat into that margin when launching the single stick.  We know that the Heavy only has 8 hold downs instead of a perfectly scaled up 12 from single stick.

OR, the two side hold downs can slide in, but are not shown that way for emphasis that the T/E is the same between configurations. 

Either way, we do not need to assume that the hold downs have been strengthened.
And, the center core has the same thrust, but more mass on top, so less lift...   But that's just partial.

Offline Lars-J

• California
  • Liked: 8485
  • Likes Given: 5384

I think that is simply due to lazy/quick rendering by the artist. The F9 will still have four hold-downs/supports - you can take that to the bank. There will probably be an interchangeable hold-down base plate, one for F9 and one for FH. The F9 version will likely just have the hold-downs needed for F9, similar to how the pad looks at VAFB:
« Last Edit: 09/03/2015 03:42 pm by Lars-J »

Offline dorkmo

• Liked: 338
  • Likes Given: 848
im not an engineer, but id assume u'd also have to beef up the structure of the rocket itself if you switched to only using two hold downs.

Offline Jdeshetler

• Silicon Valley, CA
  • Liked: 3673
  • Likes Given: 3551
This photo is more for basic study modeling on the 39A pad itself since the HIF in the rear is out of position by as much as 250 ft to the rear.

Offline sghill

• United States
  • Liked: 2092
  • Likes Given: 3200
Tweeted image from Stephen Smith a few hours ago.

The lights are on and both doors are cracked.

Plumbing doesn't appear to be operational yet.....
Bring the thunder!

Offline obi-wan

• Liked: 691
  • Likes Given: 30
Tweeted image from Stephen Smith a few hours ago.

The lights are on and both doors are cracked.

Plumbing doesn't appear to be operational yet.....

It's common practice, if you have construction crews on a site, to have them use portapotties even if there are functional bathrooms in the building. I bet if SpaceX is in that building at all the lights and bathrooms work.

Offline Lars-J

• California
  • Liked: 8485
  • Likes Given: 5384
Astronaut Reid Wiseman tweeted a new image: https://twitter.com/astro_reid/status/643967953684180992

Reid Wiseman
‏@astro_reid
Walked around Shuttle pad 39A today with @AstroBehnken. It is being completely reworked by @SpaceX to #launchamerica
« Last Edit: 09/16/2015 11:12 pm by Lars-J »

Offline Chris Bergin

Super round up of the Cape Pads as they transition for their new rockets - by Chris Gebhardt - including 39A.

http://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2015/10/canaveral-ksc-pads-new-designs-space-access/
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline MattMason

• Space Enthusiast
  • Indiana
  • Liked: 772
  • Likes Given: 2016
Super round up of the Cape Pads as they transition for their new rockets - by Chris Gebhardt - including 39A.

http://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2015/10/canaveral-ksc-pads-new-designs-space-access/

Good article. Still digging the in-land launch angle of the Blue Orbital Lipbalm Vehicle.

Can't recall when an FH static test will be done first, on LC39 or Texas...
"Why is the logo on the side of a rocket so important?"
"So you can find the pieces." -Jim, the Steely Eyed

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography