Author Topic: Pad 39A - Transition to SpaceX Falcon Heavy debut - Thread 1  (Read 302731 times)

Offline kch

• Liked: 496
  • Likes Given: 8807

SpaceX Commercial Crew Astronaut delivery vehicle for 39A. Source: Stephen C. Smith Twitter

We all know that van isn't "bad ass" enough for SpaceX Commercial Crew Astronauts.

I mean the crew transport vehicle is pretty obvious already: the falcon wing doors on the Tesla Model X are perfect for letting a suited astronaut into and out of the vehicle easily and quickly, and there is plenty of space left over for the flight surgeons and whoever else the NSA entourage consists of.

NSA?  When-and-how did they get in on this?  ;)

Offline Flying Beaver

SpaceX Commercial Crew Astronaut delivery vehicle for 39A. Source: Stephen C. Smith Twitter

We all know that van isn't "bad ass" enough for SpaceX Commercial Crew Astronauts.

I mean the crew transport vehicle is pretty obvious already: the falcon wing doors on the Tesla Model X are perfect for letting a suited astronaut into and out of the vehicle easily and quickly, and there is plenty of space left over for the flight surgeons and whoever else the NSA entourage consists of.

Watched B1019 land in person 21/12/2015.

Offline Flying Beaver

Made it just a little bit more badass.
Watched B1019 land in person 21/12/2015.

Offline woods170

• IRAS fan
  • IRAS fan
  • The Netherlands
  • Liked: 18198
  • Likes Given: 12158
Just wondering: what is a CST-100 crew doing there? Doesn't the SpaceX crew suit look A LOT different? ;)

Offline Rik ISS-fan

• the Netherlands
  • Liked: 617
  • Likes Given: 211
Sorry for messing around in advance.
A model X is to dull for a crew transportation vehicle. I was thinking about the SuperBus TUDelft developed. It is fully electric and can drive 155 miles an hour.  8) ;)

Online Jarnis

• Liked: 830
  • Likes Given: 201
Sorry for messing around in advance.
A model X is to dull for a crew transportation vehicle. I was thinking about the SuperBus TUDelft developed. It is fully electric and can drive 155 miles an hour.  8) ;)

That looks hilariously impractical. I looked at the site and all I can say is "what were they thinking..."?

Online Chris Bergin

My article within the hour, then we'll move to a new thread 2 as this one is turning into a party thread ;)
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Online Chris Bergin

Here's that article. Yeah, L2 has a collection (in a cool section that's covered the pad work since the first shovel in the ground) and of course there's others out there too, but I've beefed this up with the rollout procedures that were outlined to us.

http://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2015/11/spacex-conducts-rollout-39a-te/
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline Gary NASA

• KSC
  • Liked: 4867
  • Likes Given: 67
Here's that article. Yeah, L2 has a collection (in a cool section that's covered the pad work since the first shovel in the ground) and of course there's others out there too, but I've beefed this up with the rollout procedures that were outlined to us.

Great article Chris. Good to see the pad come back to life!

Offline Beittil

Nice article, but a slight side note. Could you please work with dual measurements? I mean, your readers are not all American and thus on that Imperial system!

In stead of this:
By February of this year, steel columns – around 50 to 55 feet high – rose out of the foundations at the perimeter.

Say this:
By February of this year, steel columns – around 50 to 55 feet (~15-~17 meters) high – rose out of the foundations at the perimeter.

Would be much appreciated!

Online Chris Bergin

Interesting, as Englishman we use feet a lot more than meters. I'm six foot tall. I don't have a clue what I am in meters. Now I do, because I googled it! ;D

Will keep it in mind for future articles.
« Last Edit: 11/09/2015 11:10 pm by Chris Bergin »

Online ZachS09

• Space Savant
  • Roanoke, TX
  • Liked: 2344
  • Likes Given: 2060
Just wondering: what is a CST-100 crew doing there? Doesn't the SpaceX crew suit look A LOT different? ;)

That's the STS-133 crew. A bit earlier than the Starliner generation.
Liftoff for St. Jude's! Go Dragon, Go Falcon, Godspeed Inspiration4!

Offline jak Kennedy

• Liked: 134
  • Likes Given: 743
Hi Chris, could you clarify.

"However, for 39A operations, when the hold down post clamps are released, the Transporter/Erector will be fully retracted/lowered back to ground level."

Are you saying as Falcon 9xx is taking off the TE starts to retract. ie at T -0.1
... the way that we will ratchet up our species, is to take the best and to spread it around everybody, so that everybody grows up with better things. - Steve Jobs

Offline shuttlefan

• Liked: 13
  • Likes Given: 4

Great article Chris...Thank-you!

Offline darkenfast

• Liked: 1829
  • Likes Given: 8739
Interesting, as Englishman we use feet a lot more than meters. I'm six foot tall. I don't have a clue what I am in meters. Now I do, because I googled it! ;D

Will keep it in mind for future articles.

You could always weigh Falcons in Stones!
Writer of Book and Lyrics for musicals "SCAR", "Cinderella!", and "Aladdin!". Retired Naval Security Group. "I think SCAR is a winner. Great score, [and] the writing is up there with the very best!"
-- Phil Henderson, Composer of the West End musical "The Far Pavilions".

Offline Semmel

• Germany
  • Liked: 2433
  • Likes Given: 11916

Offline Norm Hartnett

• Elite Veteran
  • Liked: 74
  • Likes Given: 5
I prefer horses: http://xkcd.com/1461/large/

As a SpaceX amazing people I note that 1 Falcon 1 is equivalent to 1 horse and therefore the unit of measure should be a Falcon. EG The Falcon 9 has a launch capacity of 29 Falcons and SLS Block 2 would have a launch capacity of 289 Falcons.
« Last Edit: 11/10/2015 12:17 pm by Norm Hartnett »
“You can’t take a traditional approach and expect anything but the traditional results, which has been broken budgets and not fielding any flight hardware.” Mike Gold - Apollo, STS, CxP; those that don't learn from history are condemned to repeat it: SLS.

Online Chris Bergin

Ok, that's it for this thread then. New thread:
http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=38802.0
« Last Edit: 11/10/2015 01:26 pm by Chris Bergin »

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography