Author Topic: Atlas V and Starliner to conduct dry tests ahead of launch  (Read 10586 times)

Online Chris Bergin

Another interesting article by Philip Sloss, with some of his photos while out there - and some L2 renders from the talented Nathan!

http://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2016/01/atlas-v-starliner-to-dry-tests-ahead-launch/
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline Rocket Science

• NASA Educator Astronaut Candidate Applicant 2002
  • Liked: 4548
  • Likes Given: 13523
Great article Philip as well as those L2 photos. More atta-boys to Nathan's renders as well! :)
"The laws of physics are unforgiving"
~Rob: Physics instructor, Aviator

Offline Oersted

• Liked: 4098
  • Likes Given: 2773
Great article. I didn't know that the capsule could be split in two. It really makes sense that the shouldn't have to go through the hatch to work on everything, as they did on Apollo.

Offline clongton

• Expert
  • Connecticut
    • Direct Launcher
  • Liked: 7347
  • Likes Given: 3749
Thanks Philip. That was a great read. With so much attention (well deserved) on the SpaceX Dragon it is refreshing to read such a comprehensive article on the Boeing Starliner. Really interesting approach how they divide the CM into upper and lower halves, each of which can be processed separately and then bolted together for final outfitting and launch. That makes for very efficient pre-launch processing. If possible is more information available on this pre-launch processing? Also it would be interesting to see the differences between the old style Apollo SM and the Starliner CM lower half. Perhaps another article soon on the overall Starliner design? That would be a perfect compliment to this well written article.

Once again - thanks. Well done.
Chuck - DIRECT co-founder
I started my career on the Saturn-V F-1A engine

Offline Rocket Science

• NASA Educator Astronaut Candidate Applicant 2002
  • Liked: 4548
  • Likes Given: 13523
Being the month of January, at the back of my mind was the New Apollo 1 spacecraft "plugs-out test". I know that we now have 50 plus years of spacecraft data since then, but out of the crew's memory it is always good to be extra vigilant whenever we put humans on board a new spacecraft no matter how benign the test... They will be watching I'm sure...
"The laws of physics are unforgiving"
~Rob: Physics instructor, Aviator

Offline LaunchedIn68

• Deer Park, NY
  • Liked: 151
  • Likes Given: 448
When Starliner flies the first un-crewed test to the ISS, will it be completely fitted out exactly like it would for the following crewed demo mission?  Or will it be like EFT-1 Orion?

"I want to build a spaceship, go to the moon, salvage all the junk that's up there, bring it back, sell it." - Harry Broderick

Offline erioladastra

• Liked: 222
  • Likes Given: 0
Another interesting article by Philip Sloss, with some of his photos while out there - and some L2 renders from the talented Nathan!

http://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2016/01/atlas-v-starliner-to-dry-tests-ahead-launch/

Don't know where the 30 day mission came from for the unscrewed flight but it is 1-2 weeks. 

Offline russianhalo117

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 4672
  • Likes Given: 768

Don't know where the 30 day mission came from for the unscrewed flight but it is 1-2 weeks. 
reliable sources and info found ing the L2 threads.

Offline erioladastra

• Liked: 222
  • Likes Given: 0

reliable sources and info found ing the L2 threads.

Reliable perhaps, but totally incorrect.

Offline kch

• Liked: 496
  • Likes Given: 8807

"Unscrewed"?  ;)

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography