Author Topic: LIVE: Blue Origin Developmental Flight - June 19, 2016  (Read 48620 times)

Offline Darkseraph

• Liked: 475
  • Likes Given: 152
Re: LIVE: Blue Origin Developmental Flight - June 19, 2016
« Reply #140 on: 06/19/2016 08:47 pm »
Back of the net!! That was awesome to watch and it's great to see Blue get more and more experience with reusing actual flight hardware. It will greatly help them design their orbital system. I'm still devastated about the Falcon 9 pancaking on the deck of OCISLY (And having to wait a month till next Falcon 9 launch) but this was a nice way to finish the week! :D 

Gradatim Ferociter indeed!
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled." R.P.Feynman

Offline catdlr

• Enthusiast since the Redstones
  • Marina del Rey, California, USA
  • Liked: 8786
  • Likes Given: 7815
« Reply #141 on: 06/19/2016 09:13 pm »
Highlight video from BO...

Flight Four – One Chute Out

Blue Origin

Published on Jun 19, 2016
New Shepard flew again on June 19, 2016, reaching an apogee of 331,504 feet (101.042 kilometers). It was the fourth flight with this booster and the sixth flight of this capsule. This time, we intentionally did not deploy one of three parachutes on the capsule and proved we could softly land with only two of them open. We’ve designed the capsule to have one or two levels of redundancy in every system needed for crew safety, including the separation systems, parachutes, reaction control thrusters, landing retro-thrusters, flight computers, and power systems. We also changed the ascending trajectory of the booster to adopt a more aggressive tilt towards our landing pad to the north after liftoff. We did this maneuver to test the ascent trajectory we will use during Transonic Escape Test, planned for later this year. During Transonic Escape Test, we will intentionally fire the capsule’s solid-rocket escape motor in-flight at transonic speeds to divert and propel it away from a fully thrusting booster and demonstrate we can safely recover the capsule.

Tony De La Rosa, ...I'm no Feline Dealer!! I move mountains.  but I'm better known for "I think it's highly sexual." Japanese to English Translation.

Offline GWH

• Canada
  • Liked: 1929
  • Likes Given: 1277
« Reply #142 on: 06/19/2016 09:56 pm »
Congratulations, BO. :)

However, the SpaceX live coverage has a far higher quality. Not a single live shot from space here, they didn't even show a video from a previous launch. At BO the view of earth from space doesn't seem to be important. Don't they plan to fly people up there? And they aren't even showing the main attraction?

But if they add onboard cameras and new views each launch then it will help maintain excitement for subsequent launches.
Spacex seems to be doing the same, every launch we get to see a new view. Good marketing in my opinion.

Offline Elmar Moelzer

• Liked: 849
  • Likes Given: 1062
« Reply #143 on: 06/20/2016 12:18 am »
Congrats to Blue, great show today!

Offline Prober

• Save the spin....I'm keeping you honest!
  • Nevada
  • Liked: 721
  • Likes Given: 729
« Reply #144 on: 06/20/2016 01:25 am »

However, the SpaceX live coverage has a far higher quality. Not a single live shot from space here, they didn't even show a video from a previous launch. At BO the view of earth from space doesn't seem to be important. Don't they plan to fly people up there? And they aren't even showing the main attraction?

But if they add onboard cameras and new views each launch then it will help maintain excitement for subsequent launches.
Spacex seems to be doing the same, every launch we get to see a new view. Good marketing in my opinion.

maybe Blue was more interested in the science projects running?

2017 - Everything Old is New Again.
"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant..." --Isoroku Yamamoto

Offline Comga

• Liked: 4572
  • Likes Given: 5136
« Reply #145 on: 06/20/2016 03:56 am »

maybe Blue was more interested in the science projects running?
They can walk and chew gum at the same time.....

Nice webcast, understandably over-the-top comments, nice to see the objectives met.
And they should start using SI units.  Enough with the miles per hour and feet.
I look forward to seeing a capsule with real windows (I think they showed a still of one.) and occupied seats.
« Last Edit: 06/20/2016 03:58 am by Comga »
What kind of wastrels would dump a perfectly good booster in the ocean after just one use?

Offline darkenfast

• Liked: 1829
  • Likes Given: 8739
« Reply #146 on: 06/20/2016 06:04 am »
Very nice, Blue!  It will be interesting to see what happens to Virgin Galactic, once New Shepard is flying passengers.
Writer of Book and Lyrics for musicals "SCAR", "Cinderella!", and "Aladdin!". Retired Naval Security Group. "I think SCAR is a winner. Great score, [and] the writing is up there with the very best!"
-- Phil Henderson, Composer of the West End musical "The Far Pavilions".

Offline rocx

• NL
  • Liked: 266
  • Likes Given: 144
« Reply #147 on: 06/20/2016 07:50 am »
Big thanks to Blue Origin for the webcast, and especially for doing the on-screen graphics the right way, on the sides of the wide-screen HD image so that we could actually see the mostly-vertical launch vehicle in the middle.  Are you paying attention SpaceX and ISRO?

- Ed Kyle

I, on the other hand, think a vertical bar is great for a vertical flight while a horizontal bar makes more sense for an orbital launch.

Anyway, my respect for Blue Origin has grown a lot with this webcast. They are a small but very professional company doing things the right way. I'm really interested to see how their orbital flyback booster will incorporate all the technologies developed in New Shepard.
Any day with a rocket landing is a fantastic day.

Offline Rocket Science

• NASA Educator Astronaut Candidate Applicant 2002
  • Liked: 4548
  • Likes Given: 13523
« Reply #148 on: 06/20/2016 08:55 am »
Congrats BO! :) One company's successful flight means another win for the spaceflight industry, keep it up! 8)
« Last Edit: 06/20/2016 08:56 am by Rocket Science »
"The laws of physics are unforgiving"
~Rob: Physics instructor, Aviator

Offline Oersted

• Liked: 4098
  • Likes Given: 2773
« Reply #149 on: 06/20/2016 10:37 am »
Well done to broadcast live and congrats on a flawless flight.

Offline MattMason

• Space Enthusiast
  • Indiana
  • Liked: 772
  • Likes Given: 2016
« Reply #150 on: 06/20/2016 12:48 pm »

Blue also hasn't the benefit of established high-altitude tracking cameras from a launch range that's existed since the 1950s that TORC uses. Please appreciate what we receive.

I was enjoying my birthday gift Sunday: A visit to the National Museum of the Air Force in Dayton. So I missed this one live. Congratulations to Blue for not only the flight test but a little more openness. We didn't like to talk about your works in hushed whispers here as long as we did.
« Last Edit: 06/20/2016 12:48 pm by MattMason »
"Why is the logo on the side of a rocket so important?"
"So you can find the pieces." -Jim, the Steely Eyed

Offline Kryten

• Liked: 426
  • Likes Given: 33
« Reply #151 on: 07/20/2016 04:53 pm »
Email update from Bezos;
On our most recent flight, we performed a test to prove the Crew Capsule could safely land with only two of its three parachutes open. On a nominal flight with all three parachutes deployed, the capsule descends at about 16 mph before firing a retrorocket just a few feet above the ground.  This retrorocket firing is what creates the large cloud of dust you see just before the capsule lands, and slows the capsule down to 3 mph before it touches the ground. This last bit of speed is absorbed by a ring shaped crushable bumper made of aluminum honeycomb material mounted on the bottom of the capsule. The ring is made of eight segments.

On this last mission, with one chute intentionally failed, the capsule was descending at 23 mph before firing its retrorocket. The retrorocket took out most of that velocity, and the crushable ring did the rest of the job. Below, you can see a couple of pictures of the crushable after the flight test. The first picture shows it mounted under the vehicle after we lifted it off the ground post-flight. The second picture shows a side view of the eight segments after we removed them from the vehicle. Even with one chute out, the crushable barely crushed. When new, the crushable is about 5.5 inches high and can crush down to less than one inch high, providing a constant deceleration force as it crushes. After the mission, the crushable was still over 5 inches high along nearly the entire circumference of the ring.

We’ve designed the capsule to ensure astronaut safety not just for a failure of one parachute, but even for a failure of two parachutes. In addition to the retrorocket system and the crushable ring, there is an energy absorbing mechanism mounted underneath each seat.

Offline pippin

• Regular
  • Liked: 312
  • Likes Given: 45
« Reply #152 on: 07/20/2016 11:28 pm »
Hm, wouldn't the idea behind a crushable structure to have it absorb energy. And if it doesn't crush, wouldn't that mean it didn't absorb the energy?
Or do they want to indicate the touchdown velocity was lower than expected?

Offline Kryten

• Liked: 426
  • Likes Given: 33
« Reply #153 on: 07/20/2016 11:38 pm »
Hm, wouldn't the idea behind a crushable structure to have it absorb energy. And if it doesn't crush, wouldn't that mean it didn't absorb the energy?
Given they're talking about NS being able to land with two parachutes out, I think the aim is to show there's still a lot of margin in the system after a one chute out event.

Offline Jarnis

• Liked: 830
  • Likes Given: 201
« Reply #154 on: 07/21/2016 09:11 pm »

...or the touchdown velocity was as low as they expected and that these crush structures are there for additional margin - which wasn't needed with one-chute-out.

(it is supposed to be survivable with two chutes out, which is quite a feat)

Offline HMXHMX

• Liked: 2211
  • Likes Given: 662
« Reply #155 on: 07/21/2016 10:03 pm »

...or the touchdown velocity was as low as they expected and that these crush structures are there for additional margin - which wasn't needed with one-chute-out.

Not a feat; the Apollo CM was designed for the same requirement and survived a chute stream on Apollo 15.

Offline Elmar Moelzer

• Liked: 849
  • Likes Given: 1062
« Reply #156 on: 07/23/2016 01:20 am »

Not a feat; the Apollo CM was designed for the same requirement and survived a chute stream on Apollo 15.
True, Gary. But to be completely fair, they did splash into the water and did not land on land.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography