Author Topic: LIVE: Chang'e-3 lunar probe and rover, CZ-3B - Xichang - December 1, 2013  (Read 464676 times)

Online Satori

• Global Moderator
  • Campo do Geręs - Portugal
  • Liked: 1968
  • Likes Given: 1156

Online Satori

• Global Moderator
The CZ-3B rocket for the mission has departed the CALT plant in Beijing today - arrival at Xichang is planned on November 1; while the launch team should arrive in 2 days time.

News report: http://tv.cntv.cn/video/C10601/bc1f86a9987f458290119675ad5a505c

Online Satori

• Global Moderator

Offline Blackstar

• Veteran
  • Liked: 7823
  • Likes Given: 2
Do we have any dimensions on this thing yet? (It is possible that I've missed them.)

A colleague was in Beijing for the IAF and said that he saw some slides of people standing next to the rover and some other rover comparisons and said that it is pretty big, but I haven't yet seen a comparison to Curiosity or MER. I'm curious how it stacks up.

Offline NovaSilisko

• Liked: 1440
  • Likes Given: 1301
Do we have any dimensions on this thing yet? (It is possible that I've missed them.)

I haven't seen any exact numbers, the only thing I see is a number on wikipedia that lists the rover as 1.5m tall. No citation, of course...

Maybe a better approximation can be made from images of people near the lander? (such as the one attached)

In this picture though it's safe to say at least the rover's pretty big, around Lunokhod size.

Edit: Attached another picture, much better size reference. However, it seems to just be a mockup so who knows how different that is compared to the real thing.
« Last Edit: 10/28/2013 06:24 pm by NovaSilisko »

Offline plutogno

• Toulouse, France and Milan, Italy
  • Liked: 240
  • Likes Given: 35
I have posted some dimensions of the lander in post #147 of this thread, but I have not found any dimension of the rover in the literature

Online Galactic Penguin SST

BTW the name for the rover is now down to the last ten - the finalists sounds pretty NASA-esque if you ask me....

* Yutu (Jade Rabbit, a.k.a the Moon Rabbit)
* Tansuo (Explorer/Exploration)
* Lanyue (literally "to pull the Moon into one's arm", probably best translated as the Moon-hugger  ;D)
* Qian Xuesen (Tsien Hsue-shen)
* Zhuimeng (Dreamchaser  :) )
* Xunmeng (Dream-seeker)
* Zhuiyue (Moonchaser)
* Mengxiang (Dream)
* Shiming (Mission/Destiny  ::))
* Qianjin (Forward/Progress  :P)

Given that many of the names has meanings that were already taken by famous spacecrafts, I'll go with the Moon Rabbit - I guess even if it loses it will become its nickname anyway.  ;D

Cast your votes here! The initial down-selection voting to the final 3 names ends on Thursday, so don't miss out!
Astronomy & spaceflight geek penguin. In a relationship w/ Space Shuttle Discovery. Current Priority: Chasing the Chinese Spaceflight Wonder Egg & A Certain Chinese Mars Rover

Offline cmj9808

• Liked: 1
  • Likes Given: 1
A member of 9ifly forum has made a 3-D animation of Chang'e-3 mission and loaded it on youtube. IMO, it's really nice work. He would very much appreciate it if you guys can give some comments and suggestions.

Offline plutogno

He would very much appreciate it if you guys can give some comments and suggestions.

very nice!
except that, of course, Chang'e 3 is not the first lunar rover mission

Offline Blackstar

• Veteran
plutonogo posted this graphic earlier. I have annotated it to include the dimensions at their locations.

At some point I may also annotate it to include the far more logical English measurement units.

Offline Star One

• UK
  • Liked: 3974
  • Likes Given: 220
Chang'e-3 lunar probe and rover, CZ-3B - Xichang, December 2013
« Reply #170 on: 10/30/2013 08:03 am »
I saw it suggested in comments on another site that the lander for this was so large that maybe it could be the basis for a manned lander later on, to me that seems pretty unlikely?
« Last Edit: 10/30/2013 08:10 am by Star One »

Offline stone

• Liked: 8
  • Likes Given: 1
I thought it is planed big enough to host the sample return equipment for the Chang'e-5 lunar probe,so that they have not to worry about changed design?

Offline Star One

• UK
  • Liked: 3974
  • Likes Given: 220

I thought it is planed big enough to host the sample return equipment for the Chang'e-5 lunar probe,so that they have not to worry about changed design?

That suggestion makes far more sense to me as far as its design is concerned.

Offline hwshenhw96

• Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
He would very much appreciate it if you guys can give some comments and suggestions.

very nice!
except that, of course, Chang'e 3 is not the first lunar rover mission

it has been told in the video that chang'e 3 is the first lunar in recent 37 years but not in history

Offline plutogno

it has been told in the video that chang'e 3 is the first lunar in recent 37 years but not in history

video only says:
"first roving exploration of the lunar surface"

Offline KevWang

• Guangzhou, Guangdong China/ Ithaca, New York, US
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0

video only says:
"first roving exploration of the lunar surface"

I think it means"China's" first roving exploration of the lunar surface. If you look the video carefully, the whole sentence is "China's first soft-landing beyond earth (and,) first roving exploration of the lunar surface." The mistake is just grammatical.

Online Satori

• Global Moderator

Offline edkyle99

• Expert
    • Space Launch Report
  • Liked: 8566
  • Likes Given: 1356
Do we have a ground track for this launch?  I'm interested because the rover has a Plutonium 238 radioisotope thermoelectric generator.

- Ed Kyle

Offline Blackstar

• Veteran
Do we have a ground track for this launch?  I'm interested because the rover has a Plutonium 238 radioisotope thermoelectric generator.

The rover is solar powered. But it has RHUs.

Offline edkyle99

• Expert
    • Space Launch Report
  • Liked: 8566
  • Likes Given: 1356
The rover is solar powered. But it has RHUs.
Hmmmm.  AIAA got it wrong then (RTG was listed in an Aerospace America article).  RHU's still make me interested in the ground track.

- Ed Kyle
« Last Edit: 11/04/2013 01:20 am by edkyle99 »

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography