Author Topic: Wayne Hale sets up his own blog site  (Read 331495 times)

Offline Rocket Science

• NASA Educator Astronaut Candidate Applicant 2002
  • Liked: 4548
  • Likes Given: 13523
Re: Wayne Hale sets up his own blog site
« Reply #240 on: 05/17/2012 10:46 pm »
Great kudos for John Muratore, he deserves it! I remember the “pirate” patch on top of the X-38… ;D
"The laws of physics are unforgiving"
~Rob: Physics instructor, Aviator

Offline MP99

« Reply #241 on: 05/18/2012 02:44 pm »
I have this image of SpaceX as all young guns. Very timely reminder that they're leavened with people who've been doing this for a long time, too.

...and another interesting story, to boot. Especially to me, since my day job is programming the IBM z/Series mainframes. These are 64-bit evolutions of the 24-bit S/370, in the same way today's Intel Core processor is the 64-bit evolution of the old 8-bit 8080 from the original IBM PC.

Thanks for the story.

cheers, Martin

Offline wjbarnett

« Reply #242 on: 05/30/2012 09:21 pm »
Latest post from Mr. Hale: http://waynehale.wordpress.com/2012/05/28/ground-up-rendezvous/
Wonderful history from early STS and MCC challenges plus tribute to SpaceX's accomplishments so far all in one. Thanks Wayne!
Jack

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #243 on: 05/30/2012 11:46 pm »
Latest post from Mr. Hale: http://waynehale.wordpress.com/2012/05/28/ground-up-rendezvous/
Wonderful history from early STS and MCC challenges plus tribute to SpaceX's accomplishments so far all in one. Thanks Wayne!

Love those old stories!
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline SWGlassPit

• I break space hardware
  • Liked: 893
  • Likes Given: 142
« Reply #244 on: 05/31/2012 04:16 pm »
That was an excellent post.  I don't really have anything else to add other than that I would happily buy a book of collected war stories like that :-)

Offline wjbarnett

« Reply #245 on: 08/14/2012 11:25 pm »
Mr Hale has starting writing again. And this upcoming series promises to be really interesting for us shuttle fans!!  http://waynehale.wordpress.com/2012/08/14/after-ten-years-why-write-now/
Jack

Offline wjbarnett

« Reply #246 on: 08/20/2012 01:59 am »
Jack

Offline Robotbeat

• Minnesota
  • Liked: 25240
  • Likes Given: 12115
« Reply #247 on: 08/28/2012 10:03 pm »
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/wayne-hale/space-exploration_b_1836619.html?utm_hp_ref=elections-2012

Wayne Hale calls on the candidates to support space exploration and expansion. I thought this was an appropriate quote:
Armchair space policy causes divisive debates about which destination to pursue, which results in paralysis. The real destination goal for America's space program should encompass all of the potential destinations, with the priority and order set by the needs and capabilities of the developing infrastructure.
Chris  Whoever loves correction loves knowledge, but he who hates reproof is stupid.

To the maximum extent practicable, the Federal Government shall plan missions to accommodate the space transportation services capabilities of United States commercial providers. US law http://goo.gl/YZYNt0

Offline wjbarnett

Jack

Offline wjbarnett

Jack

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #250 on: 11/06/2012 11:15 pm »
New Entry from Mr Hale!

http://waynehale.wordpress.com/2012/11/06/after-ten-years-flying-a-mature-vehicle-or-not/

"We remembered Challenger, but with the wrong lens:  a bad manager made one bad decision, that was what caused Challenger."

Was the manager Jud Lovingood?

I remember "learning" about Challenger (it was my first experience of Shuttle as a kid and what ultimately got me interested) via many badly scripted documentaries, etc. But one, "Challenger: Go for launch" was the most hard-hitting, including Mr Lovingood saying you "don't stand in front of a moving train" at a readiness meeting. Surprisingly frank and dare I say honest quotes from him during that documentary.
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline mtakala24

« Reply #251 on: 11/07/2012 12:01 am »
a little off-topic, but mentioning first experiences, Challenger was the only space event that I remember from childood. Next one was the Hubble repair mission. Tells a lot about press reports etc here in Finland. And I only became a space fan in the year 2001.

Offline JohnFornaro

• Not an expert
  • Delta-t is an important metric.
  • Planet Eaarth
    • Design / Program Associates
  • Liked: 1257
  • Likes Given: 724
« Reply #252 on: 11/07/2012 01:25 am »
Mr. Hale did not use the word "arrogance" when discussing the culture of the tribe he was referring to.
Sometimes I just flat out don't get it.

Offline Wayne Hale

• Liked: 402
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #253 on: 11/07/2012 02:53 pm »
So many people use that term in so many derogatory ways that it has lost its true meaning and nuance.  "Arrogance" becomes a shorthand way out of explaining complex cultural situations. 

As a learning tool, I try to stay away from words that are loaded with connotations which could lead to simplistic understandings. 

Nobody thinks they are arrogant; we all are arrogant in some ways.  It is more important to understand why good people are blind to critical analysis. 

Offline baldusi

• Buenos Aires, Argentina
  • Liked: 2539
  • Likes Given: 8273
« Reply #254 on: 11/07/2012 06:21 pm »
Wayne, I want to congratulate you on your last article. You didn't ended in ad hominem fallacies, you didn't went pointing to anybody in general. You recognize that complex systems tend to break due to complexity. And that complexity is not solvable with one big change but millions of little things. Yes, those little things have to start with a humble attitude that "we don't really know" and "no matter how much experience you have complex systems always find new ways to surprise you". A bit like Intel's Andy Grove phrase "Only the paranoid survive".
It's been a long time since I've seen such intellectual humbleness to accept that we don't know. Thanks.

Offline Proponent

• Liked: 2782
  • Likes Given: 1462
« Reply #255 on: 11/08/2012 01:07 am »
Please allow me to add my congratulations to baldusi's.  It's an amazing thing that after devoting so much for so long to the Shuttle, Wayne Hale can still view it with humility and perspective.  The world needs more people like that.

Offline wjbarnett

Jack

Offline woods170

• IRAS fan
  • IRAS fan
  • The Netherlands
  • Liked: 18202
  • Likes Given: 12162

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #258 on: 11/12/2012 12:56 pm »
Sobering is the right word for that :(

Offline Longhorn John

• Regular
  • Liked: 60
  • Likes Given: 130
« Reply #259 on: 11/12/2012 01:01 pm »
Amazing read again from Wayne Hale.

That leads me to a question about this site too. I know this site didn't start until STS-114, but had it been around during STS-107, and given the deeper nature of this site's shuttle reporting, would we have heard of big concerns about the foam strike?

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography