Author Topic: SpaceX Falcon 9 v.1.1 - TürkmenÄlem 52E - April 2015 - DISCUSSION THREAD  (Read 210204 times)

Offline AJW

• Liked: 1315
  • Likes Given: 136
The first Turkmen space satellite will orbit the American company on March 30:

http://tass.ru/kosmos/1766979

Thank you Google translate.... Should be 'will be put into orbit by American company' on March 30th.
We are all interested in the future, for that is where you and I are going to spend the rest of our lives.

Online FutureSpaceTourist

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
  • Liked: 81636
  • Likes Given: 36932
Thanks for the link.

So two launches and a pad abort test all in March?! Methinks April more likely

Offline SpacemanInSPACE

• Liked: 14
  • Likes Given: 72
Since Turkmensat is scheduled before CRS-6, does this launch have priority? It doesn't carry the same high profile. (NASA cargo, landing attempt) I imagine that with eutel being realigned to early march and the pad abort being moved further. I would think they would set this flight for May to insure their NASA flight meets its deadline.
Space is worth it God Damnit!

Offline mhlas7

• Liked: 54
  • Likes Given: 721
Since Turkmensat is scheduled before CRS-6, does this launch have priority? It doesn't carry the same high profile. (NASA cargo, landing attempt) I imagine that with eutel being realigned to early march and the pad abort being moved further. I would think they would set this flight for May to insure their NASA flight meets its deadline.

In the pre eva briefing today someone mentioned (i don't remember who) that CRS-6 was being targeted for mid to late April which would give SpaceX time to launch TurkmenistanSat before CRS-6
« Last Edit: 02/19/2015 01:49 am by mhlas7 »

Offline deruch

• California
  • Liked: 2006
  • Likes Given: 5634

In the pre eva briefing today someone mentioned (i don't remember who) that CRS-6 was being targeted for mid to late April which would give SpaceX time to launch TurkmenistanSat before CRS-6

Kenny Todd, NASA ISS Operations Integration Manager

it's at 3m50s in the following Youtube video:
Shouldn't reality posts be in "Advanced concepts"?  --Nomadd

Offline Mongo62

• Liked: 834
  • Likes Given: 156
Posted on Reddit:

FCC Application for Special Temporary Authority

Explanation Please explain in the area below why an STA is necessary:
Pre launch testing of TT&C links at Payload Processing Facility, for F9-17 commercial launch mission. No fairing re rad system.

Purpose of Operation  Please explain the purpose of operation:
Testing of payload Ku-band transmitters at PPF with RF hat.
« Last Edit: 02/22/2015 09:36 pm by Mongo62 »

Offline SpacemanInSPACE

• Liked: 14
  • Likes Given: 72
From Reddit, SpaceX seeking approval for March 21st launch date

http://www.reddit.com/r/spacex/comments/2x73q0/spacex_requesting_launch_date_for/
« Last Edit: 02/26/2015 05:44 am by SpacemanInSPACE »
Space is worth it God Damnit!

Offline Norm38

• Liked: 1272
  • Likes Given: 2317
That was my original guess, as it gives them time to keep CRS-6 at or near April 8 if that's what NASA wants.
If they can launch on Sunday they have 20 days to prep this launch.

Online Galactic Penguin SST

In other news, the satellite has been delivered to the Cape today!  8)

TURKMENALEM52E/MONACOSAT ARRIVES IN CAPE CANAVERAL!

February 26, 2015

The TurkmenAlem52E/MonacoSAT telecommunications satellite was shipped from Thales Alenia Space's Cannes plant on February 23, 2015, arriving at the Cape Canaveral launch site in Florida on February 26. Built by Thales Alenia Space as prime contractor, on behalf of the Turkmenistan Ministry of Communications, the satellite will be orbited in March 2015 by a SpaceX Falcon 9 launcher.

MISSION

Once operational in orbit, TurkmenAlem52E/MonacoSAT will allow Turkmenistan to operate its first national satellite telecommunications system, ensuring enhanced, secure telecommunications for the country. The satellite is built on a Thales Alenia Space Spacebus 4000 C2 platform, will weigh 4,500 kg at launch and offers a design life exceeding 15 years. Its coverage zone encompasses Europe, Central Asia up to the Chinese border and virtually all of Africa. The Turkmenistan Ministry of Communications will use Monaco's 52°E orbital position, via the Monaco-based satellite operator, Space Systems International - Monaco (SSI).

THALES ALENIA SPACE'S CONTRIBUTION

As prime contractor for this in-orbit delivery contract, Thales Alenia Space was in charge of satellite design and manufacture, along with the manufacture of ground support equipment for the two satellite control stations, all associated services, provision of launch services and insurance. The Turkmenistan team, which manages TurkmenAlem52E/MonacoSAT, received intensive training from Thales Alenia Space engineers to ensure trouble-free satellite operation.

DELIVERY SCHEDULING PAR EXCELLENCE

The first Turkmenistan telecom satellite was produced and ready to ship in just 27 months, more than four months ahead of the contractual deadline. TurkmenAlem52E/MonacoSAT is a perfect example of Thales Alenia Space's excellence in reliable delivery scheduling. Launch is now expected in March 2015 instead of the original date of late November 2014, because of the Falcon 9 launch manifest.
Astronomy & spaceflight geek penguin. In a relationship w/ Space Shuttle Discovery. Current Priority: Chasing the Chinese Spaceflight Wonder Egg & A Certain Chinese Mars Rover

Online zubenelgenubi

• Global Moderator
  • Arc to Arcturus, then Spike to Spica
  • Sometimes it feels like Trantor in the time of Hari Seldon
  • Liked: 7392
  • Likes Given: 72419
re: satellite delivery from Cannes to the Cape
Was this via Antonov-124?
If not, what was the mode of delivery?

If delivered by airplane, does it land on the Shuttle Landing Facility within KSC? OR
Does it land at the Skid Strip within CCAFS?

Curious,
Zubenelgenubi
Support your local planetarium! (COVID-panic and forward: Now more than ever.) My current avatar is saying "i wants to go uppies!" Yes, there are God-given rights. Do you wish to gainsay the Declaration of Independence?

Offline Prober

• Save the spin....I'm keeping you honest!
  • Nevada
  • Liked: 721
  • Likes Given: 729
That's a lot larger than I had in mind.....do we have the specs?
2017 - Everything Old is New Again.
"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant..." --Isoroku Yamamoto

Offline Kabloona

• Velocitas Eradico
  • Fortress of Solitude
  • Liked: 3429
  • Likes Given: 741

Some details here:

The satellite is built on a Thales Alenia Space Spacebus 4000 C2 platform, will weigh 4,500 kg at launch.

https://www.thalesgroup.com/en/worldwide/space/case-study/turkmenalem52emonacosat-arrives-cape-canaveral

More about the Spacebus 4000 platform from Gunter:

http://space.skyrocket.de/doc_sat/aeosp_spacebus-c-class.htm
« Last Edit: 02/26/2015 08:12 pm by Kabloona »

Offline LastStarFighter

• Europa
  • Liked: 77
  • Likes Given: 11

Some details here:

The satellite is built on a Thales Alenia Space Spacebus 4000 C2 platform, will weigh 4,500 kg at launch.

https://www.thalesgroup.com/en/worldwide/space/case-study/turkmenalem52emonacosat-arrives-cape-canaveral

Guessing the transfer orbit apogee will be right at GEO and an inclination of ~25 deg based on the mass and past (similar mass) GTO missions. Anyone seen it posted somewhere yet?

Online LouScheffer

• Liked: 6109
  • Likes Given: 837
Guessing the transfer orbit apogee will be right at GEO and an inclination of ~25 deg based on the mass and past (similar mass) GTO missions. Anyone seen it posted somewhere yet?
Here's my guess, extrapolating from the target orbit of the ABS/Eutil sat (from L2) at 4168 kg.

The extra 332 kg reduces the performance by 113 m/s, almost all from the second stage.  Then a quick pass through possibilities for the second burn give a minimum delta-V to synchronous of 1655 m/s, with an apogee of 52000 km and an inclination of 25.6 degrees.

The rocket could also do apogee at GEO and 21.5 degrees, but that's about 20 m/s more delta-v to GEO.

Disclaimer:  estimated mass for Falcon components, circular parking orbit, impulsive maneuvers, spherical earth, etc., etc.  For amusement value only.
« Last Edit: 02/26/2015 11:39 pm by LouScheffer »

Offline LastStarFighter

• Europa
  • Liked: 77
  • Likes Given: 11
Here's my guess, extrapolating from the target orbit of the ABS/Eutil sat (from L2) at 4168 kg.

The extra 332 kg reduces the performance by 113 m/s, almost all from the second stage.  Then a quick pass through possibilities for the second burn give a minimum delta-V to synchronous of 1655 m/s, with an apogee of 52000 km and an inclination of 25.6 degrees.

The rocket could also do apogee at GEO and 21.5 degrees, but that's about 20 m/s more delta-v to GEO.

Disclaimer:  estimated mass for Falcon components, circular parking orbit, impulsive maneuvers, spherical earth, etc., etc.  For amusement value only.

I guess I was basing it off the last 4 GTO launches. Haven't see the target yet for ABS/Eutel!

Offline deruch

• California
  • Liked: 2006
  • Likes Given: 5634
From reddit user /u/Spitzer-Hubble, pics of the satellite being transported in FL.  Nothing much, just the container on the road. 
« Last Edit: 02/27/2015 12:33 am by deruch »
Shouldn't reality posts be in "Advanced concepts"?  --Nomadd

Offline Lars-J

• California
  • Liked: 8485
  • Likes Given: 5384
From reddit user /u/Spitzer-Hubble, pics of the satellite being transported in FL.  Nothing much, just the container on the road.

Neat, based on the road signs and images, it looks like pictures were taken at the intersection of Titan III rd and Hangar Rd in CCAFS: https://www.google.com/maps/place/28%C2%B029'59.1%22N+80%C2%B034'30.8%22W/@28.499757,-80.575234,696m/data=!3m2!1e3!4b1!4m2!3m1!1s0x0:0x0?hl=en

Offline Joey S-IVB

• Arrowhead, the Avro kind
  • Space Cadet
  • Toronto, Canada
  • Liked: 74
  • Likes Given: 1000
CRS-6 has already been announced as delayed to middle to late April, at the DSCOVR pre-launch press conference on 10 February.

Offline cscott

• Liked: 2867
  • Likes Given: 726
CRS-6 has already been announced as delayed to middle to late April, at the DSCOVR pre-launch press conference on 10 February.
That's overstating the situation a bit.  One manager said the launch would be mid-April.  No "announcement" has been made, and official planning documents still show April 8.

Offline Norm38

• Liked: 1272
  • Likes Given: 2317
That 21st date is looking pretty good now.  SpaceX just pulled off an 18 day turn, they've got 20 this time.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography