Author Topic: Virgin Orbit preparing for busy LauncherOne future  (Read 189655 times)

Online gongora

• Global Moderator
  • US
  • Liked: 13885
  • Likes Given: 5933
Re: Virgin Orbit preparing for busy LauncherOne future
« Reply #220 on: 04/15/2018 01:58 pm »
ALBus is also listed in ELaNa XIX on Electron!

The ELaNa XIX document is much more recent, I'd go with that one where there is differing information.

Offline FutureSpaceTourist

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
  • Liked: 81676
  • Likes Given: 36941
« Reply #221 on: 04/18/2018 10:14 pm »
Dan Hart, Virgin Orbit: towards the tail end of qualification for LauncherOne. Did latest engine test 12 hours ago. First launch later this year. #34SS

https://twitter.com/jeff_foust/status/986728853195206656

Offline FutureSpaceTourist

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
  • Liked: 81676
  • Likes Given: 36941
« Reply #222 on: 04/23/2018 10:08 pm »

Online Gliderflyer

« Reply #223 on: 04/24/2018 01:14 am »

Be sure to watch it with the subtitles on; they like to add funny comments in there.
I tried it at home

Offline catdlr

• Enthusiast since the Redstones
  • Marina del Rey, California, USA
  • Liked: 8802
  • Likes Given: 7821
« Reply #224 on: 04/24/2018 02:46 am »

Be sure to watch it with the subtitles on; they like to add funny comments in there.

Love it, that was fun.  Wish NASA Stennis would do this same, even if they were info tidbits.
« Last Edit: 04/24/2018 02:46 am by catdlr »
Tony De La Rosa, ...I'm no Feline Dealer!! I move mountains.  but I'm better known for "I think it's highly sexual." Japanese to English Translation.

Offline Lars-J

• California
  • Liked: 8485
  • Likes Given: 5384
« Reply #225 on: 04/24/2018 05:13 am »

The flame output does not look very stable, it seemed to vary a lot (particular when in side view angle) - is this normal for an engine of this scale, or is this engine missing part of its high altitude or vacuum nozzle?

Offline jongoff

• Recovering Rocket Plumber/Space Entrepreneur
  • Lafayette/Broomfield, CO
  • Liked: 3987
  • Likes Given: 1684
« Reply #226 on: 04/24/2018 06:07 am »

Thanks for the heads up! Those captions were actually pretty funny. Even being a rocket geek, there's no way I would've watched a full 3.5min firing without having something like that to keep my attention...

:-)

~Jon

Offline john smith 19

• Everyplaceelse
  • Liked: 2431
  • Likes Given: 13606
« Reply #227 on: 04/24/2018 06:41 am »
The flame output does not look very stable, it seemed to vary a lot (particular when in side view angle) - is this normal for an engine of this scale, or is this engine missing part of its high altitude or vacuum nozzle?
If you watched it with the CC subtitles on you would have known this was including a gimbal test as well.

MCT ITS BFR SS. The worlds first Methane fueled FFSC engined CFRP SS structure A380 sized aerospaceplane tail sitter capable of Earth & Mars atmospheric flight.First flight to Mars by end of 2022 TBC. T&C apply. Trust nothing. Run your own #s "Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof" R. Simberg."Competitve" means cheaper ¬cheap SCramjet proposed 1956. First +ve thrust 2004. US R&D spend to date > $10Bn. #deployed designs. Zero.

Offline Prettz

• O'Neillian
  • Atlanta, GA
  • Liked: 259
  • Likes Given: 30
« Reply #228 on: 04/24/2018 12:31 pm »
If you watched it with the CC subtitles on you would have known this was including a gimbal test as well.
You'll understand if the vast majority of people turned them off, as they go 0 to gag-inducing in 3 seconds.

Offline imprezive

• Liked: 125
  • Likes Given: 26
« Reply #229 on: 04/24/2018 01:40 pm »
You'll understand if the vast majority of people turned them off, as they go 0 to gag-inducing in 3 seconds.

I already feel bad for Pomerantz when he reads this. haha

Offline Pomerantz

« Reply #230 on: 04/24/2018 03:07 pm »
Eh, the overwhelming majority of people seem to love them. And for those who don't, that's why we made them an Easter Egg that is turned off by default. We never even mention them or promote them in any way, they are just left for people to find on their own, in hopes that perhaps they will feel a little bit of joy when reading them.

And honestly, if I were the only person in the world who found them amusing, I'd probably keep writing them anyway. Cause why not, right?
---------
I post here for fun, but in the interest of full disclosure, I work for Virgin Orbit. That said, I'm an honest fan of pretty much everything space.

Offline Davidthefat

• Rockets are life.
  • Greater Los Angeles Area, California
  • Liked: 288
  • Likes Given: 71
« Reply #231 on: 04/24/2018 03:15 pm »

Looks a bit dirty as well.

Online Gliderflyer

« Reply #232 on: 04/24/2018 11:26 pm »

I don't know if it is normal for engines of this size, but with the large variations in engine construction, O/F ratios, combustion efficiencies, etc., it is hard to define a "normal" look for rocket engines. The plume looks similar to their other hotfire videos on youtube, so I would guess this one is in family and "normal" for it.
I tried it at home

Offline deruch

• California
  • Liked: 2006
  • Likes Given: 5634
« Reply #233 on: 04/25/2018 07:14 am »

The gas generator exhaust seems to be right below and in-line with the nozzle in this set-up.  So, that might be what you are seeing.  You can see it more clearly in the top video.
Shouldn't reality posts be in "Advanced concepts"?  --Nomadd

Offline Lars-J

• California
  • Liked: 8485
  • Likes Given: 5384
« Reply #234 on: 04/25/2018 07:52 am »

The gas generator exhaust seems to be right below and in-line with the nozzle in this set-up.  So, that might be what you are seeing.  You can see it more clearly in the top video.

No, that's not what I mean. Look at the exhaust starting at 1:00, top view. The brightness of the exhaust flickers on and off like a hybrid or solid, not like a smooth running liquid engine usually does. But I could be wrong... The VG guys know a lot more about rockets than I do!  :)

I have attached a tiny GIF I made from the video.

Offline john smith 19

• Everyplaceelse
  • Liked: 2431
  • Likes Given: 13606
« Reply #235 on: 04/25/2018 08:35 am »
Eh, the overwhelming majority of people seem to love them. And for those who don't, that's why we made them an Easter Egg that is turned off by default. We never even mention them or promote them in any way, they are just left for people to find on their own, in hopes that perhaps they will feel a little bit of joy when reading them.

And honestly, if I were the only person in the world who found them amusing, I'd probably keep writing them anyway. Cause why not, right?
Not to mention the side benefit of causing competitors to underestimate your engine achievements.  :).
MCT ITS BFR SS. The worlds first Methane fueled FFSC engined CFRP SS structure A380 sized aerospaceplane tail sitter capable of Earth & Mars atmospheric flight.First flight to Mars by end of 2022 TBC. T&C apply. Trust nothing. Run your own #s "Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof" R. Simberg."Competitve" means cheaper ¬cheap SCramjet proposed 1956. First +ve thrust 2004. US R&D spend to date > $10Bn. #deployed designs. Zero.

Offline edzieba

• Virtual Realist
  • United Kingdom
  • Liked: 9329
  • Likes Given: 39
« Reply #236 on: 04/25/2018 11:05 am »

No, that's not what I mean. Look at the exhaust starting at 1:00, top view. The brightness of the exhaust flickers on and off like a hybrid or solid, not like a smooth running liquid engine usually does. But I could be wrong... The VG guys know a lot more about rockets than I do!  :)

I have attached a tiny GIF I made from the video.
That could just as well be a camera artefact as anything else, the image is already wobbling all over the place like an overexited jelly due to the rolling shutter effect.

Offline Senex

• Turtle Island
  • Liked: 91
  • Likes Given: 52
« Reply #237 on: 04/25/2018 12:50 pm »

Whether or not I always agree with what Virgin does, I appreciate Mr. Pomerantz sharing the occasional note with us.  He is contributing more to our collective progress than I am able to, and I thank him for that.

All the best, Will.  Please keep posting.

Offline Kabloona

• Velocitas Eradico
  • Fortress of Solitude
  • Liked: 3429
  • Likes Given: 741
« Reply #238 on: 04/25/2018 01:52 pm »

I had the same reaction, that it looked more like a hybrid plume. From the side view (aft looking forward) there are dark streaks in the plume at the exit plane, typical of unburned hydorcarbons, similar to their hybrid motor firings.

Maybe they are doing something funky with the injector pattern, like injecting excess RP-1 around the perimter to help cool the nozzle, resulting in poor mixing in the chamber and more afterburning in the plume?
« Last Edit: 04/25/2018 01:56 pm by Kabloona »

Offline Pomerantz

« Reply #239 on: 04/26/2018 12:41 am »
Whether or not I always agree with what Virgin does, I appreciate Mr. Pomerantz sharing the occasional note with us.  He is contributing more to our collective progress than I am able to, and I thank him for that.

All the best, Will.  Please keep posting.

Aw, thanks! I've lurked here for a long time, and am happy to contribute to the conversation here.

In response to some of the other questions and comments raised: almost all of the issues mentioned are indeed camera artifacts, as edzieba and others have guessed. (We're basically using traffic cameras for these particular footage.) The rest are pretty much attributable to the fact that we were not using the flight nozzle in this particular test.
---------
I post here for fun, but in the interest of full disclosure, I work for Virgin Orbit. That said, I'm an honest fan of pretty much everything space.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography