Author Topic: Brazilian space plans: from 2011 forward  (Read 98441 times)

Online Satori

• Global Moderator
  • Campo do Geręs - Portugal
  • Liked: 1968
  • Likes Given: 1156
Brazilian space plans: from 2011 forward
« on: 06/18/2011 06:36 pm »
The space plan of Brazil from 2011 to 2015 (in portuguese).
« Last Edit: 08/02/2019 11:12 pm by zubenelgenubi »

Offline Danderman

• Extreme Veteran
  • Liked: 699
  • Likes Given: 723
Re: Brazilian space plans: 2011-2015
« Reply #1 on: 06/20/2011 09:22 pm »
It should be noted that this is the INPE 5 year plan, not the AEB plan.

Online Satori

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: 10/23/2011 10:13 pm »
Some information regarding the future Brazilian space plans.

Offline Salo

• Odessa, Ukraine
  • Liked: 4227
  • Likes Given: 3524

Offline Danderman

• Extreme Veteran
« Reply #4 on: 11/06/2011 12:14 am »
Hey, where's Cyclone 4?

??? ???

Offline Steven Pietrobon

• Adelaide, Australia
    • Steven Pietrobon's Space Archive
  • Liked: 32735
  • Likes Given: 8178
« Reply #5 on: 11/07/2011 05:39 am »
The link above says

"Goals

* Increase budget to $ 2.192 billion in the period
    * Ensure the Ukrainian Cyclone-4 rocket by 2012"
Akin's Laws of Spacecraft Design #1:  Engineering is done with numbers.  Analysis without numbers is only an opinion.

Offline baldusi

• Buenos Aires, Argentina
  • Liked: 2539
  • Likes Given: 8273
« Reply #6 on: 11/07/2011 12:45 pm »
The link above says

"Goals

* Increase budget to $ 2.192 billion in the period
    * Ensure the Ukrainian Cyclone-4 rocket by 2012"
Both presidents recently made a joint statement where, among other things, stated that they were happy with the project's latest developments. The truth is that until three months ago, the Brazilian government had made something like 90% of their investment, while the Ukranian had made something like 20%. It's sort of a ridiculous situation where the country that would get the most benefit (Ukrania), tries to live off the country that's doing this mainly for strategic reasons. Brazil do have a LV program, and might go with the URM, if successful. But they want this to actually establish themselves as a player in the GTO market, and gain experience in all the other phases of a commercial launch. I doubt they could launch the sort of GTO payloads they need.

Offline Salo

• Odessa, Ukraine
« Reply #7 on: 11/07/2011 01:44 pm »
Proton LV will be right decision for Alcantara.

Offline baldusi

« Reply #8 on: 11/07/2011 02:22 pm »
That's not an option. I'm sure they could build pretty fast an Angara pad, too. But Brazil wants to have their own independent technology. They are having an approach of making buys, with successively higher requirements of Brazilian work share. And Russians are known to sell anything, but making basically zero technology transfers. At least on LV.
Most LV from Alcantara would have a very nice boost, but which company would want to actually share most of it's technology, to probably be left out in the future iterations, for a certain level of performance improvement? I can only think of Ukraine. They have the Zenit, but they depend heavily on Russian parts, and can, in effect, only sell them to the Russians.

Offline Danderman

• Extreme Veteran
« Reply #9 on: 11/08/2011 03:35 pm »

Both Proton and Cyclone use nasty propellants, I think that Brazil would be better off with an ethanol-fueled LV.

Offline baldusi

« Reply #10 on: 11/08/2011 04:01 pm »

Both Proton and Cyclone use nasty propellants, I think that Brazil would be better off with an ethanol-fueled LV.
And they are working on that (look for the L-75 engines). But let's remember that all the nations that start to launch things into space, start with those nasty hypergolics. Both for the simplicity (and reliability) of ignition and for the fact that is a technology to master for anything that stays up for a while (i.e. satellites).
The Argentinian civil program is baselined to hypergolic. Even though I heard a rumor that they are trying to make a kerolox version, they are still officially hypergolic. Specially useful (easy ignition) since the ISCUL is going to be a four stage rocket to get 100kg to a 400km orbit.
In any case, I don't think they had many possible partners willing to share lots of technology. In fact, I don't seen any other partner willing to do this sort of arrangement. I would love them to be successful, since that would mean cheap launchers for Argentinan satellites. And keeping everything in the Mercosur would make things cheaper.

Offline baldusi

« Reply #11 on: 11/11/2011 12:37 am »
Since you asked about the Cyclone-4 from Alcantara the Article of the Panorama Espacial Blog says:

Sunday, November 6, 2011
The moment of Alcantara Cyclone Space - Part II

After going through a very turbulent period at the beginning of the year, with words and harsh measures that the Minister of Science, Technology and Innovation (McTier), Mercadante, and the president of the Brazilian Space Agency (AEB), Marco Antonio Raupp (see " The moment of Alcantara Cyclone Space, "July 2011), and the replacement of the director of the binational, Roberto Amaral, the joint Ukrainian-Brazilian venture Alcantara Cyclone Space (ACS) seems to have found one, at least for now, a moment of tranquility.

In early July, a delegation led by the AEB Marco Antonio Raupp was in Ukraine for the purpose, reported the second season of "audit" the course of the project by the Ukrainian side. After the trip, no official with the findings of the Brazilian government has been released. Publicly, few understood the change of position Raupp, before criticism of the binational program, and now sympathetic to the initiative. The comments came from the Blog Space Panorama of people familiar with the matter is that, officially, the prevailing position among the leaders was that the project would already be well advanced by the Ukrainian side, would not justify its abandonment.

Another factor that favored the Ukrainian Kiev was the decision to release resources for the binational (180 or 250 million dollars, depending on the source of information). In Sao Jose dos Campos (SP), a few weeks ago, the blog heard a joke that sums up this question: "Brazil has a check, and Ukrainians came with the check."

During his visit to Brazil last month, Viktor Yanukovych, Ukraine's president, told reporters that his country "Cyclone 4 project is on schedule." "To date, we are prepared according to the schedule last year," he added. emphasizing that delays last year were due to financial issues.

Some observers saw the recent appointment of Brigadier Reginaldo dos Santos of booking, summa cum laude at the Institute of Aeronautical Technology (ITA) and former rector of the institution for the general management of ACS as an attempt to approach the project with the Air Force Command something that the blog has doubts. The views of McTier and the Air Force Command in relation to the ACS never converged. The vision pravelecente of the main sectors of the Brazilian Space Program is the binational dispute resources with other projects (satellites, launchers) - and has achieved some success, but without tangible returns in terms of development and technological training.

Despite the good news and the relative peace-building, the ACS still have to deal with very sensitive issues. In September, one of the workshops that the Brazilian Association Aerospace (BAE) has promoted this year on the Brazilian Space Program, the spatial agreement with Ukraine was one of the topics discussed. The list below is not exhaustive, lists some critical topics for the bi-national project presented and discussed by those present:

- No provisions for technology transfer, there are issues of protection of the MTCR [Missile Technology Control Regime];
- The business plan was made about 10 years ago, the forecast was to launch satellites of the Iridium system replacement;
- Little participation of domestic industry, for now at least;
- Cyclone 4 is 60 to 70% qualified; necessary to integrate the schedule of the vehicle with the infrastructure's;
- There was mo provision for personnel to operate the base, the Ukranian part thought the Air Force Command personnel would run it, which seems to have been a misunderstanding;
- The propellant for the Cyclone 4 will be acquired in the world market. The first supply offer was obtained from China;
- ACS will generate more resources for Ukraine in terms of manufacturing of the rocket. This imbalance exists. Brazil wins its viability as a launch country, but dependent on only one country and not on several;
- There is block to U.S. satellite launches U.S. on Brazilian soil. The Foreign Ministry began efforts to obtain that permission.
Most is a Google translation. I tweaked the conclusions of the workshop. So, in general the project seems to have been put on track. But they lost some precious years and the market changed a lot. You have to put into the context of the constant ITAR problems that Brazil has faced in the past. And their close ties to China.

Offline baldusi

« Reply #12 on: 11/25/2011 12:53 am »
According to this Press Release from the Science, Technology and Innovation Ministry, the Cyclone-4 is supposed to launch on November 15 of 2013, which is a national holiday in Brazil. Whatever that means.

Offline Danderman

• Extreme Veteran
« Reply #13 on: 11/25/2011 08:54 pm »
According to this Press Release from the Science, Technology and Innovation Ministry, the Cyclone-4 is supposed to launch on November 15 of 2013, which is a national holiday in Brazil. Whatever that means.

That's 2 years from now.

Cyclone 4 is generally quoted as being 3 years from launch, so this may be an improvement in hypothetical schedules.

Offline baldusi

« Reply #14 on: 11/25/2011 09:01 pm »

That's 2 years from now.

Cyclone 4 is generally quoted as being 3 years from launch, so this may be an improvement in hypothetical schedules.

Brazil did invest over 250M, which in these latitudes go a loooong way. In the last six months, there has been a lot of Brazil/Ukraine meeting and visits. A lot of those were officially "factory visits", which I would take as light auditing. And they have been talking about the advances made just in the last four months. Just before this there was a sort of very serious ultimatum from Brazil.
It's the ridiculous situation where the country to reap the most income from the project (Ukraine) was also trying to freeload on the Brazilian money. Apparently, they made the numbers and decided to actually do the investment.
I'm happy because this might mean cheap launches for our national satellites. We have a lot of complement between the space agencies and this will help us.

Offline Danderman

• Extreme Veteran
« Reply #15 on: 11/25/2011 10:05 pm »
Did Brazil spend its money on Brazil infrastructure that exists today, or transfer the money to the Ukraine, to be used to develop Cyclone-4?

Offline baldusi

« Reply #16 on: 11/26/2011 02:22 pm »
Did Brazil spend its money on Brazil infrastructure that exists today, or transfer the money to the Ukraine, to be used to develop Cyclone-4?
I completely ignore it. But I'm assuming it was mostly range and infrastructure investment. And the Binational Entity for the Cyclone project, I assume. I know they lack a fuel factory and the first bid was won by China. I also know that Argentina has been developing the factory for this sort of fuels for its own Tronador II project, so I'm assuming Brazil shouldn't need to invest in that area.
I've also read that the Brazilian industry had serious regrets about the level of involvement in the LV side of things. But the MTCR is very strict there, and luckily all in our region have signed into it. So there's not much they can do. I'm completely ignorant of how did they pulled ahead in the last six months, so I wouldn't discard at least some financing. But Brazil has very intelligent leaders, and if they sent any money to Ukraine, they will more than make it up in the future.

Online Satori

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: 02/02/2012 09:48 pm »
Actual satellite and rocket development in Brazil..

Offline Danderman

• Extreme Veteran
« Reply #18 on: 02/02/2012 10:30 pm »
Sigh, Cyclone 4 is still 2 years away.

Offline baldusi

« Reply #19 on: 02/03/2012 01:07 pm »
Actual satellite and rocket development in Brazil..
The satellite part is pretty spot on. The LV is more an expression of desire.

Offline Salo

• Odessa, Ukraine
« Reply #20 on: 02/04/2012 10:52 pm »

Offline baldusi

« Reply #21 on: 02/06/2012 10:40 am »
Your previous post is the actual plan as presented by MCTI Ministry of Science, Technology and Innovation), your second post was what was desired by the INPE (National Institute of Space Research). The point of the post was to compare the desire of the "scientists" (INPE) and the "bureaucrats" (MCTI).

Offline Nahavandi

• Liked: 1
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #22 on: 02/06/2012 12:43 pm »
Brazil wants Japanese assistance in disaster prevention :

Brazil urged Japan to collaborate in the field of disaster prevention using satellite technology.

The proposal was put forth by Brazil’s Minister of Science, Technology and Innovation, Marco Antonio Raupp; and Director of Brazilian Space Agency, Himilcon Carvalho; in front of Director of the Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency (JAXA), Hideshi Kozawa.

Raupp clarified that Brazil wants Japan's assistance in setting up the National System for Monitoring and Early Warning of Natural Disasters, the Brazilian government is developing and providing the use of satellite images to predict possible storms and phenomena atmospheric.

Raupp added that the starting point for such an agreement may be the International Precipitation Measurement (Global Precipitation Measurement - GPM).

This international cooperation programme promoted by the space agencies of Japan and the NASA, is to monitor global rainfall using satellite images of high temporal resolution. Brazil participates in this programme by developing algorithms to facilitate measurements and its own satellite that will join those of other countries in a constellation.

Hideshi Kozawa said that possibility of agreement will be further discussed with Brazilian delegation in Tokyo in March.
« Last Edit: 02/06/2012 12:48 pm by Nahavandi »

Offline Salo

• Odessa, Ukraine
« Reply #23 on: 03/20/2012 07:39 pm »
Brazil's VLS

2012 Q4 (or Q1 2013) - VLS-1 XVT-01 (tests first two stages)
Q3 2013 - Dummy - VLS-1 XVT-02
Q1 2014 - Dummy - VLS-1 XVT-03
Q3 2014 - TBD - VLS-1 XVT-04

Scheduled:

Date - Satellite(s) - Rocket - Launch Site (Country) - Time (UTC)

end of year - TBD/Nano-JASMINE - Cyclone-4 - Alcântara (Brazil/Ukraine) (or 2014)
TBD - ITASAT - TBD - TBD
TBD - IBAS - TBD - TBD

TBD - TBD - VLS-1 (V-04)- Alcântara
TBD - Amazonia-1 - TBD - TBD

TBD - Amazonia-1B - TBD - TBD

TBD - TBD - VLM (V-02)- Alcântara
TBD - GTEO/FLORA - TBD - TBD

TBD - TBD - VLM (V-03)- Alcântara
TBD - TBD - VLS-Alfa (V-01)- Alcântara
TBD - Sabia-MAR 1 (Brazil/Argentina) - TBD - TBD
TBD - LATTES-1 - TBD - TBD

TBD - CLE-1 - VLM (V-04)- Alcântara
TBD - Amazonia-2 - TBD - TBD
TBD - SAR - TBD - TBD

TBD - AST-1 - VLM (V-05)- Alcântara
TBD - Sabia-MAR 1B (Brazil/Argentina) - TBD - TBD

TBD - AST-2 - VLM (V-06)- Alcântara
TBD - TBD - VLS-Alfa (V-03)- Alcântara
TBD - TBD - VLS-Beta (V-01)- Alcântara
« Last Edit: 02/17/2013 08:08 pm by Salo »

Offline Salo Ukr

• Odessa, Ukraine
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #24 on: 05/09/2012 07:49 am »
Conception of Brazilian VLM-1.

It can be easily converted for an ICBM.

Offline Salo Ukr

• Odessa, Ukraine
« Reply #25 on: 05/09/2012 07:52 am »
I'm surprised none of the advancements of the Brazilian Space Program are posted here. So I'm adding this video of the solid boosters separation testing of the VLS program:

!

I'm sorry if this embeds, I don't know how not to do it.
They have also just tested the L-5 (Ethanol/LOX) injector, and ard finishing the Launch pad. This month should be starting the automation system installation and testing.

Offline Salo Ukr

• Odessa, Ukraine
« Reply #26 on: 05/09/2012 07:57 am »
On March 29 Brazil tested for the second time the separation phase of the four first stage boosters of the VLS-1 launcher.

Offline Salo Ukr

• Odessa, Ukraine

Offline Salo Ukr

• Odessa, Ukraine
« Reply #29 on: 05/27/2012 10:12 pm »
Conselho de Administraçăo aprova cronograma que prevę primeiro lançamento em novembro de 2013

Scheduled:

November - Microsat/Nano-JASMINE - Cyclone-4 - Alcântara (Brazil/Ukraine) (or 2014)
TBD - ITASAT - TBD - TBD
TBD - IBAS - TBD - TBD

TBD - SAR - TBD - TBD

Changes on May 27th
Changes on June 11th
« Last Edit: 02/17/2013 08:12 pm by Salo Ukr »

Offline baldusi

« Reply #30 on: 06/29/2012 01:14 pm »
According to this post, an unloaded VLS-1 is being integrated now on the VAF, and will participate on a simulated launch between July 10 and 13. This, apparently set the time for an actual launch for 2013.

Offline Salo Ukr

• Odessa, Ukraine
« Reply #31 on: 07/29/2012 07:37 pm »
http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=19961.msg934856#msg934856
Quote from: Satori
According to José Raimundo Braga Coelho, President of the Brazilian Space Agency, this launch will only now take place in 2014.

Offline Salo Ukr

• Odessa, Ukraine
« Reply #32 on: 07/29/2012 07:39 pm »
Scheduled:

TBD - ITASAT - TBD - TBD
TBD - IBAS - TBD - TBD

TBD - Microsat/Nano-JASMINE - Cyclone-4 - Alcântara (Brazil/Ukraine)

TBD - SAR - TBD - TBD

Changes on July 29th
« Last Edit: 02/17/2013 08:13 pm by Salo Ukr »

Offline baldusi

« Reply #33 on: 08/02/2012 08:11 pm »
According to this interview:
XVT-01 will fly in 2013 and be renamed VSISNAV, since it will be used to test the indigenous INS (will use fiber optics gyroscopes). It will comprise first and second live stages only. Second flight on 2014 assuming there's budget for it.
VLM-1 is a three stage micro satellite solid LV developed together with DLR. First and second stage will be S50, and third will be S44 (later replaced with L5 base stage). S50 will be manufactured by CENIC (already does S44) and will be composite. First flight is expected to be 2015 with SHEFEX 3 (suborbital).
Future looks to be VLS-Alpha and VLS-Beta, but going further makes no sense since it will overlap with Cyclone 4. They are re doing the long term plan.
Sounding rockets will see improvements on the VSB-30 and development of the VS-50 (single stage S50 based rocket).
« Last Edit: 08/02/2012 08:11 pm by baldusi »

Offline Salo

• Odessa, Ukraine
« Reply #34 on: 10/17/2012 04:46 am »
According to http://panoramaespacial.blogspot.pt/2012/10/itasat-1-no-voo-inaugural-do-cyclone-4.html (in Portuguese) the first launch of the Tsyklon-4 from Alcantara will probably also carry the ITASAT-1 Brazilian satellite.

Offline Salo

• Odessa, Ukraine
« Reply #35 on: 10/17/2012 04:50 am »
Scheduled:

TBD - ITASAT - TBD - TBD
TBD - IBAS - TBD - TBD (sheduled on PSLV)

TBD - ITASAT-1, Microsat, Nano-JASMINE - Сyclone-4 - Alcântara (Brazil/Ukraine)
December - Amazonia-1 - TBD - TBD

TBD - SAR - TBD - TBD

Changes on October 17th
Changes on October 18th
Changes on November 23rd
« Last Edit: 02/17/2013 08:09 pm by Salo »

Online Satori

• Global Moderator
« Reply #36 on: 12/07/2012 05:41 pm »
Brazil tested the new 'Torre Móvel de Integraçăo' (TMI) - Integration Movable Towel, with a VLS-1 mock-up.

Offline Nahavandi

• Liked: 1
« Reply #37 on: 02/01/2013 12:38 am »
Is the TMI specifically built for the VLS-1 or is it also suitable for larger rockets?

Offline Salo

• Odessa, Ukraine
« Reply #38 on: 02/10/2013 09:34 pm »
http://brazilianspace.blogspot.com.br/2013/01/camp-missao-vlm-1itasat-1-2014-abrace.html
quarta-feira, 23 de janeiro de 2013
Camp. "MISSĂO VLM-1/ITASAT-1 - 2015", Abrace Essa Idéia

Offline Salo

• Odessa, Ukraine

Offline Danderman

• Extreme Veteran
« Reply #40 on: 02/10/2013 11:20 pm »
http://www.parabolicarc.com/2013/02/10/brazil-scales-back-launch-vehicle-plans/#more-46949

It looks like an ambitious mess.

Brazil would have been better off developing an indigenous kick stage for the Cyclone 4, to replace the 40 year old design of the Ukrainian 3rd stage, thereby increasing performance and reducing pollution from the toxic fuel of the 3rd stage.

Offline Salo

• Odessa, Ukraine
« Reply #41 on: 02/11/2013 05:51 am »
Scheduled:

TBD - suborbital test flight - VLS-1 (XVT-01)- Alcântara

TBD - ITASAT-1, Microsat, Nano-JASMINE - Cyclone-4 - Alcântara (Brazil/Ukraine)
TBD - TBD - VLS-1 (XVT-02) - Alcântara

ITASAT-1 - TBD - VLM (V-01) - Alcântara
2014 TBD - TBD - VLS-1 (V-04) - Alcântara

TBD - TBD - VLM (V-02) - Alcântara

TBD - TBD - VLM (V-03) - Alcântara

2017 TBD - TBD - VLS-Alfa (V-01) - Alcântara
TBD - CLE-1 - VLM (V-04) - Alcântara
TBD - SAR - TBD - TBD

TBD - AST-1 - VLM (V-05) - Alcântara
TBD- TBD - VLS-Alfa (V-02) - Alcântara

TBD - AST-2 - VLM (V-06) - Alcântara
TBD - TBD - VLS-Alfa (V-03) - Alcântara
TBD - TBD - VLS-Beta (V-01) - Alcântara

Changes on February 11th
« Last Edit: 02/17/2013 08:10 pm by Salo »

Offline baldusi

« Reply #42 on: 02/12/2013 06:41 pm »
I have the National Space Plan 2012-2020. It's a lot more realistic than before, and has more humble objectives.Since it's a 40MB PDF, I can't upload it, but you can download it from the AEB site.
I've also have the presentation about the L75 Kerosene/LOX engine. It's a GG 75kN Kerosene/LOX upper stage engine with 324s of isp. The presentation is amazing. I'm surprised their laws allowed so much information to be released to the public. Apparently, it's actually based of the RD-0109, that's where the Russians appear as partners in the Estrella do Sul project.
« Last Edit: 02/12/2013 09:37 pm by baldusi »

Offline Salo

• Odessa, Ukraine
« Reply #43 on: 02/12/2013 09:57 pm »

Offline Danderman

• Extreme Veteran
« Reply #44 on: 02/12/2013 10:21 pm »
I've also have the presentation about the L75 Kerosene/LOX engine. It's a GG 75kN Kerosene/LOX upper stage engine with 324s of isp. The presentation is amazing. I'm surprised their laws allowed so much information to be released to the public. Apparently, it's actually based of the RD-0109, that's where the Russians appear as partners in the Estrella do Sul project.

For those who don't follow these things, the RD-0109 engine was used as the upper stage of the Vostok rocket which launched Yuri Gagarin. AFAIK, it has not been used for space launch in almost 30 years.

However, a development of that engine would make a wonderful kick stage for the Cyclone rocket, since the engine uses kerosine/oxygen, rather than toxic propellants.

Offline russianhalo117

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 4672
  • Likes Given: 768
« Reply #45 on: 02/13/2013 04:00 am »
Brazil tested the new 'Torre Móvel de Integraçăo' (TMI) - Integration Movable Towel, with a VLS-1 mock-up.
Do you mean to say tower and not towel?

Offline kch

• Liked: 496
  • Likes Given: 8807
« Reply #46 on: 02/13/2013 04:27 am »

Always know where your tower is!  ;)

Offline baldusi

« Reply #47 on: 02/13/2013 01:16 pm »
According to the HHGTTG, you can use a towel for anything.

Offline Salo

• Odessa, Ukraine
« Reply #48 on: 02/17/2013 08:02 pm »
Scheduled:

TBD - suborbital test flight - VLS-1 (XVT-01)- Alcântara

TBD - TBD - VLS-1 (XVT-02) - Alcântara
November-December - Microsat, Nano-JASMINE - Cyclone-4 - Alcântara (Brazil/Ukraine)

2nd quarter-3rd  quarter - QB50 - Cyclone-4 - Alcântara (Brazil/Ukraine) (or LM-MLV)
ITASAT-1 - TBD - VLM (V-01) - Alcântara
TBD - TBD - VLS-1 (V-04) - Alcântara

TBD - TBD - VLM (V-02) - Alcântara

TBD - TBD - VLM (V-03) - Alcântara

TBD - TBD - VLS-Alfa (V-01) - Alcântara
TBD - CLE-1 - VLM (V-04) - Alcântara
TBD - SAR - TBD - TBD

TBD - AST-1 - VLM (V-05) - Alcântara
TBD- TBD - VLS-Alfa (V-02) - Alcântara

TBD - AST-2 - VLM (V-06) - Alcântara
TBD - TBD - VLS-Alfa (V-03) - Alcântara
TBD - TBD - VLS-Beta (V-01) - Alcântara

Changes on February 17th
Changes on April 10
« Last Edit: 04/10/2013 05:21 pm by Salo »

Offline Salo

• Odessa, Ukraine
« Reply #49 on: 02/19/2013 05:50 pm »
http://www.oosa.unvienna.org/oosa/en/COPUOS/stsc/2013/presentations.html
Aerospace Science and Technology Department: Contributions towards the Brazilian Space Program
E. Viegas Dalle Lucca, Brazil

Offline kicaj

« Reply #50 on: 04/10/2013 04:49 am »
del
« Last Edit: 04/10/2013 04:24 pm by kicaj »

Offline Salo

• Odessa, Ukraine
« Reply #51 on: 04/14/2013 09:40 am »

Offline Salo

• Odessa, Ukraine
« Reply #52 on: 04/14/2013 06:31 pm »
VLM-1, Dream or Reality? Certainly A Necessity (Portuguese):
http://brazilianspace.blogspot.com/2013/04/vlm-1-sonho-ou-realidade-certamente-uma.html

There is а list of projects satellites currently underway in Brazil in this article.

Offline Salo

• Odessa, Ukraine
« Reply #53 on: 06/08/2013 08:28 pm »

Offline Zed_Noir

• Canada
  • Liked: 1809
  • Likes Given: 1302
« Reply #54 on: 06/08/2013 08:42 pm »
One wonder if the upcoming Fifa world cup 2014 and the 2016 summer Olympics games will impact the funding level of the Brazilian space programs from 2013 to 2016?

Offline baldusi

« Reply #55 on: 06/10/2013 05:35 pm »
They haven't been able to even implement a G4 network for the Fifa World Cup, and all the stadiums are behind schedule. Corruption was so rampant that even the president of the Brazilian Football Federation had to resign. Something unheard of.
Of course my country is worse in that regard. But I don't think technology development is a driver for Dilma.

Offline Prober

• Save the spin....I'm keeping you honest!
  • Nevada
  • Liked: 721
  • Likes Given: 729
« Reply #56 on: 07/04/2013 01:06 pm »
http://www.parabolicarc.com/2013/02/10/brazil-scales-back-launch-vehicle-plans/#more-46949

Brazil would have been better off developing an indigenous kick stage for the Cyclone 4, to replace the 40 year old design of the Ukrainian 3rd stage, thereby increasing performance and reducing pollution from the toxic fuel of the 3rd stage.

I kinda wish Brazil would learn "NOT" to use the Cyclone with it's toxic fuels.  Look at the Proton mess.

Time is still available to switch to the other Ukraine design.  It would be best for both partners.

2017 - Everything Old is New Again.
"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant..." --Isoroku Yamamoto

Offline Salo

• Odessa, Ukraine

Offline osiossim

• Liked: 12
« Reply #58 on: 07/13/2013 07:44 pm »

I kinda wish Brazil would learn "NOT" to use the Cyclone with it's toxic fuels.  Look at the Proton mess.

Time is still available to switch to the other Ukraine design.  It would be best for both partners.

Which "other Ukrainian" design?

Offline Prober

• Save the spin....I'm keeping you honest!
  • Nevada
  • Liked: 721
  • Likes Given: 729
« Reply #59 on: 07/13/2013 09:45 pm »

Which "other Ukrainian" design?

Mayak, http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=31969.0
not as powerful, but not as toxic.
2017 - Everything Old is New Again.
"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant..." --Isoroku Yamamoto

Offline Salo

• Odessa, Ukraine
« Reply #60 on: 09/15/2013 05:23 pm »
« Last Edit: 09/15/2013 05:39 pm by Salo »

Offline Salo

• Odessa, Ukraine

Offline Salo

• Odessa, Ukraine
« Reply #62 on: 11/19/2013 05:12 am »
Brig. Kasemodel, Director of IAE interview (Portuguese):
http://brazilianspace.blogspot.com/2013/11/blog-entrevista-o-brig-kasemodel.html

Offline Salo

• Odessa, Ukraine
« Reply #63 on: 11/19/2013 05:13 am »
Here's a link to video of the assembly of the first VLS in launch pad. (Operaçăo Salina)

Congratulations to IAE and its technicians, excellent work

If the Brazilian government was more seriously we would have put a satellite into orbit.
But the government is giving funds to Ukraine (Cyclone 4), this project is a joke.

Offline Salo

• Odessa, Ukraine
« Reply #64 on: 06/29/2014 09:13 pm »
Brig. Eng. Leonardo Magalhăes Nunes da Silva, New Director of IAE interview (Portuguese):
http://brazilianspace.blogspot.com/2014/06/blog-entrevista-o-novo-diretor-do-iae.html

Offline albatros68

• Liked: 6
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #65 on: 08/15/2014 06:01 pm »

Offline russianhalo117

• Global Moderator
« Reply #66 on: 09/05/2014 09:58 pm »
Cientistas Brasileiros Lançam Primeiro Foguete Nacional Movido a Etanol

Published on Sep 5, 2014
Matéria do Jornal Nacional - Foguete lançado da Base de Alcântara, no Maranhăo, foi o primeiro a substituir o combustível sólido pelo líquido.

Offline russianhalo117

• Global Moderator
« Reply #67 on: 01/11/2015 05:15 pm »
Came across this:

BrazilianSpace: Lançamento do Foguete Falcon-9 Com o Cubesat AESP-14

Vídeo do lançamento bem sucedido da missăo “Falcon 9 - SpaceX CRS 5”, missăo esta de suprimento para a Estaçăo Espacial Internacional (ISS na sigla em inglęs) que também levou a bordo o Cubesat Brasileiro AESP-14 (o segundo canarinho brasileiro) do Instituto Tecnológico de Aeronáutica (ITA).

O lançamento ocorreu as 4:47 da manhă (horário local) do dia 10/01/2015 da Base da Força Aérea Americana em Cabo Canaveral, na Flórida (EUA), e segundo o que estava previsto a nave Dragon da SpaceX com os suprimentos para a estaçăo e o Cubesat AESP-14, deveria iniciar a sua trajetória de aproximaçăo da estaçăo e posterior atracagem a partir das 4:30h (horário local) de segunda-feira (12/10/2015).

Vale lembrar que após a chegada do AESP-14 a ISS, o mesmo deveria ser transferido para o Módulo Japonęs Kibo, de onde entăo em data ainda a ser definida (naquela época) seria finalmente lançado ao espaço através do dispositivo de ejeçăo “JEM Small Satellite Orbital Deployer (J-SSOD)”.

Offline Blackstar

• Veteran
  • Liked: 7823
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #68 on: 11/19/2015 04:54 pm »
A colleague was recently at a science conference in Brazil and heard a presentation about a Brazilian asteroid mission that is supposed to go to a trinary asteroid. He said it was an impressive presentation and they are talking about a 2020 launch. However, the spacecraft would go on their own rocket and I explained to him that their rocket has been repeatedly delayed, so any plans that would use it are really tenuous.

He did say that apparently they have a Russian satellite bus that they have modified. Dunno if they showed photos of their spacecraft or anything.

Offline Rik ISS-fan

• the Netherlands
  • Liked: 617
  • Likes Given: 211
« Reply #69 on: 02/21/2016 07:09 pm »
It's not going well with the Brazillian Space program!
Some news from brazilianspace.blogspot: (I use translate to read it)
Three reports about the failure of the VS-40 from last november 1 2 3 . Still there is no report on the root cause, if I'm not mistaken.
Than about the Multi-Year Plan 2016-2019 and the budget for 2016.

The space budget for 2016 was reduced by 39% to 183,8 million. This is in sharp contrast to all goals set for the 2016-2019.

Now over to desktop-engineer talk. I think VLS-1 will never fly again, it has never fulfilled a successful launch so in my opinion it didn't come out of development phase. In my opinion it has to many stages and to many staging events. I've thought a bit about different launcher configurations that can be made with stages Brazil has developed or is developing. I came up with the following alternative.

Until the end of 2017 solid propulsion engineers will be occupied with the development of the S50 stage in a SeaLevel and an Upper-stage variant. Test bench qualification is planned for January 2017 and the qualification flight of the S50 as VS-50 sounding rocket is planned for november 2017.
I think the S50 can be used in four sounding rockets; the VS-50 (S50), VS-54 (S50+S44), VS-55 (S50+L5) and VSB-50 (S50sl+S50u). (The VS-55 is I think the least likely)

For orbital launchers I came up with also four versions:
VLM-1 three stage solid rocket launcher composed of the S50 (Sea Level), S50 (Upperstage) and S44 spin stabilized upper-stage from the VS-40. The test flight for VLM-1 is planned for November 2018, after a couple of flights the inertial navigation system (VSISNAV) can be tested on VLM-1 (or VLM-2) in 2019.
The VLM-2 is composed of the S50sl; S50u and the L5 upperstage. (2019?)
VLM-2+ or VLM-2B, Possibly the performance of the VLM-2 can be improved by two non-separating boosters S40 stages. Possibly a composite version of the S40 can be developed after 2017 (so it can be produced on the same fabrication line as the S50 stages). The VLM-2+ will be a three stage system: [2xS40 & S50sl] + S50u +L5.
Possibly the combo [2xS40 & S50sl] is powerful enough to launch a L75 stage, otherwise the VLM-3 will be composed of 2x (to 4x) S50sl side mounted at the inter-stage and lower-skirt to an central S50u (that is ignited in-flight) and a L75 on top. The VLM-3 is supposed to fulfill the requirements where the VLS-Alfa would be developed for.

For the VLS-Beta I hope Brazil and Europe can reach a agreement where Brazil is allowed to use (and fabricate) the Zefiro 40 (that is being developed for the Vega-C) in both a SeaLevel and an Upper-stage version. (The SeaLevel version is not jet planned). The Z40 can be used to fulfill the requirements of the P40/P50 stage of the VLS-Beta.
It can be used as the current plan for VLS-beta: P40+L300+L75 or as P40+Z40+L75.
The Zefiro 40 can be traded for the S50 stage, so the stages that will take off from Esrange or Andoya can be fabricated in Europe (Germany or Italy). For solids transportation is really expansive because they are explosive/ dangerous goods. If S50's would ever be used for launches from CSG I would prefer them to be build in Brazil.
(I'm for the policy: Design globally, Build locally)

Is this a beter/ less risky and cheaper development approach than VLM-1, VLS-1, VLS-Alfa and VLS-beta.
VLM-3 would not happen before 2020 as is VLS-Beta. Or is this pure nonsence form an idiot behind a desktop.

edit: I also think Europe will stop importing S30 and S31 stages form around 2020, because green european alternatives are available. (PLD space Arion 1; Nammo UM-2/ NorthStar Aurora)   

edit 2: It is rumered the SSC (Swedisch Space Corporation, the company that exploits Esrange) will build two launch sites for VLM, one at Esrange, Sweden and one at Maranhao (CLA), Brazil. I hope for SSC is allowed to modify the VLS-1 launch site at CLA (Alcantara Launch Center). And both launch sites to be compatible with at least all four VLM versions and possibly the VS(B) sounding rockets. For VLS-Beta a new launch site would be needed, possibly also for VLM-3/VLS-Alfa.   
« Last Edit: 02/21/2016 07:30 pm by Rik ISS-fan »

Offline Rik ISS-fan

• the Netherlands
« Reply #70 on: 02/24/2016 05:07 pm »
A new article with a link to presentations from the public hearing was posted on BrazilianSpace.blogspot
here the link to the presentations

Two new milestones with dates were reported in the DCTA presentation:
- The electrical / electronic system mockup of VLS-1 should be ready by May 2017
- The VLS-1 VSISNAV (altitude control system test) launch is planned for the second half of 2017.
- And as already known the first launch of VLM-1 is planned for the end of 2018 (november).

The writer of the blog is skeptical, I think it is a feasible timeline, although their budget is tight. I hope they will be successful and wish DCTA the best of luck achieving these milestones.

Offline Rik ISS-fan

• the Netherlands
« Reply #71 on: 04/07/2016 02:32 pm »
March 14th a blog post was written on Brazilianspace.blogspot.
apparently AEB and DCTA want to terminate the VLS program.

Offline GClark

• Liked: 55
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #72 on: 04/08/2016 07:42 am »
Are they going ahead with VLM, jumping to something more advanced, or opting out entirely?

Offline Rik ISS-fan

• the Netherlands
« Reply #73 on: 04/08/2016 09:08 am »
I think the decision to stop VLS is not firmly taken jet. I guess VLM will continue, but also that is not certain. Most likely the launcher program is still in discussion.
The satellite program looks firm (the AIAB PDF, three post back, link Presentation)

Offline Notaris

• Europe
  • Liked: 26
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #74 on: 04/15/2016 02:51 pm »
My Portuguese is limited, but I understand the below linked press release of April 6th like that:

a) VLS is the programme, VLS-1 was just one launcher configuration developed within this programme (next to VLM, VLS-alpha and VLS-beta)

b) VLS-1 is terminated because it is a design based on the technical limitations of Brazilian industry of the 1980's

c) Development focus will now be on VLM(-1)

http://www.iae.cta.br/noticias/2016/04/403/IAE+prop%C3%B5e+revisar+o+Programa+de+Ve%C3%ADculos+Lan%C3%A7adores+de+Sat%C3%A9lites.html
« Last Edit: 04/15/2016 02:52 pm by Notaris »

Offline GClark

• Liked: 55
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #75 on: 04/16/2016 04:55 pm »
At risk of drawing the Mods ire, I'll ask...

In view of today's WSJ front page headline, is this program bound up in the current Presidential political troubles/drama?

Mods: If I've overstepped, please be gentle...

Offline baldusi

« Reply #76 on: 04/16/2016 08:19 pm »
Dilma's administration has been extremely anti-space. I don't think that if the impeachment actually goes through, it will be worse than the current lack of financial support.
Let me state it more clearly. The Brazilian space program main limitation is an absolute lack of budget and political will.
Please remember that Brasil has the GNP and population of Russia. And their program is even less developed than Argentina's.
« Last Edit: 04/16/2016 08:20 pm by baldusi »

Offline Rik ISS-fan

• the Netherlands
Re: Brazilian space plans: 2012-2021
« Reply #77 on: 04/22/2016 07:16 pm »
So it has been confirmed that VLS-1 launch vehicle (4xS43+S43TM+S40TM+S44) will not launch again.
They came together to discuss the results of the VS-40 failure.
But nothing was written about what exactly happened, or did I miss it.

IAE also proposed the development of a VS-43 sounding rocket.
This might be an indication that IAE wants to stop using the S43 stages.
This would meen that VLS-Alfa (4xS43+S43TM+L75) would not be realized.
Possibly they change the design to S50 stages (possibly: 2xS50+S50+L75).
Another possibility is a liquid two stage system (L300 (4x75)+L75).

I think IAE has a supply of S43 stages for 1 to 3 VLS-1 launches (5-15x S43).
Most with canted sealevel nozzles and some with straight high altitude nozzles (S43TM).
They will have to develop a straight sea-level nozzle. Possibly the S-40 nozzle can be used.

I'm wondering what VS-43 really involves. I think there are three options:
1) only a S43 stage
2) the old VS-43 (PNAE 2005-2014); S43 + S30 
3) Two stage improves VS-40: S43+S44 (or would they name this VS-44?)
I think VS-43 is a method to efficiently get rid of the S43 stages and
supply launchers until the S50 is (reliably) available (not that the VS-43's have a good track record).

The VS-43 might be used for the VSISNAV mission.
A test flight for the SISNAV (autonomous inertial (navigation/guidance) system),
as preparation for use on the VLM-1 (S50+S50+S44).

edit: on this site are some other VLS Cruzeiro du Sul launch vehicle configurations.
« Last Edit: 04/22/2016 07:40 pm by Rik ISS-fan »

Offline Salo

• Odessa, Ukraine
« Last Edit: 05/07/2016 04:46 pm by Salo »

Offline Steven Pietrobon

• Adelaide, Australia
« Reply #79 on: 05/08/2016 04:53 am »
Alas, another launch vehicle to join the inglorious rank of 100% failure rate. Off the top of my head, these include Atlas Able, N-1, Europa, Conestoga and Super Strypi.
Akin's Laws of Spacecraft Design #1:  Engineering is done with numbers.  Analysis without numbers is only an opinion.

Offline Rik ISS-fan

• the Netherlands
Re: Brazilian space plans: 2011-2015 | 2014-2021
« Reply #80 on: 05/09/2016 07:08 am »
@Steven Pietrobon, I agree VLS-1 belongs on the 100% failure rate list. But is it confirmed that Super Strypi will not launch anymore? (sorry for goeng of topic)

I've been wrong on some thing.
VS-43 in PNAE 2005-2014 is a single stage S43 sounding rocket. The upper part is most likely the ESA/Airbus MAXUS payload system.

I also got the impression that Germany is developing much of the technologies for VLM-1. link
OHB/MT Aerospace have developed a new production method for composite solid rocket casings. In OHB's 2015 annual report on page 71, it is reported that MT Aerospace will start a project in 2016 funded by DLR. For this project MT Aerospace will develop and build three solid rocket casings, most likely S50 stages. They will be used for testing the Brazilian VLM-1 launcher. It also states that the engine test is planed for 2018. (in the 3Q report it was stated that the S50 engine would be tested at the end of 2017. And the dimentions of S50 were  stated a 1,45m diameter and 5m boss to boss length.
I also found out that DLR has funded studies for a hot seperation system for the S50 stages (2th stage burning before seperation). And DLR has been studiing a hybrid upper-stage for VLM launcher.

There could be a possibility that MT Aerospace will build the S50 Casings. Brazilian companies/government will build the nozzle (and possibly igniter) and execute the fuel loading operation in Brazil. For launches from Europe the loading operation can take place at AVIO (Italy) or Nammo (Norway).
I think DLR will continue the VLM-1 development without Brazil when Brazil's funding and progress stalles the launcher development. DLR and ESA need the VS-50 and VLM-1 to execute launches of some suborbital technology development flights. (MAXUS sounding rocket, Expert, SHEFEX III, and possibly some HyFiRE sounding rockets).

I think the VSISNAV (altitude control system test) flight, that was planned for the second half of 2017, can still take place around this time. It will most likely launch on a VS-43 (S43) or S43-S44; S43-S40; S43-S40-S44.
For Brazil it might be interesting to develop composite replacements for the S30; S40 and S43 after the S50 development has been completed. Possibly OHB/ MT Aerospace will allow a Brazilian company to use there technology, or they might set up a Brazilian business unit for this. We shall see.     

Offline baldusi

« Reply #81 on: 05/09/2016 01:13 pm »
I believe that they don't know which kind of support they are going to get. But Dilma's was the all time lowest. So they will just stay un survival mode until a new government settles and actually makes a decision.

Offline Rik ISS-fan

• the Netherlands
« Reply #82 on: 05/26/2016 10:43 pm »
Detail about VLM and it's planning in the OHB 2016 first quarter report, page 18.
All already known but nice to have an official source for the information.

Edit: I also found this document about SSC project Rainbow form the 32th Space symposium. The VLM-1 launcher will be the base line for the SSC (esrange) Sun-synchronous express launch service. In 2016 they will do the B2 phase flight safety risk assessment. They hope to have the service operational in 2020 with one to three launches annually of 100-150kg to 500-600km SSO. They want a launcher that has flown three successful flights. Besides the solid's it is only allowed to use use green propellants (ECAPS (ADN-liquid) or HTP liquid or hybrid), not hydrazine and NTO. The launcher has to be operational at temperatures as low as -20 deg. Celsius. 
I think Nammo North Star, PldSpace Arion 2, Leafspace Primo, SpaceLS Prometheus 1 and Horizons Black Arrow 2 might be contenders to VLM-1 (or S50-S50-European upper-stage).
« Last Edit: 05/31/2016 03:18 pm by Rik ISS-fan »

Offline Rik ISS-fan

• the Netherlands
« Reply #83 on: 12/09/2016 12:18 am »
Interesting post on cyclone4.blogspot.nl .
A S50 stage might be test fired in January 2017.
A VS-50 sounding rocket (most likely a single stage) might launch during November.

VLM-1 was excluded from the 2016 micro launcher list. (Actually not, ssc: sso express) But in my view VLM-1 is one of the most  rigid supported micro launcher developments, being backed by two or three nations.
« Last Edit: 12/09/2016 12:19 am by Rik ISS-fan »

Offline Rik ISS-fan

• the Netherlands
« Reply #84 on: 01/08/2017 10:46 pm »
So my previous post was wrong. The static test won't happen before the end of 2017.
But tests will happen. On the 23th of December on brazilianspace.blogspot the following news was posted:
The contract has been signed to produce 6x S50 casings.
- Two will be used for pressure tests.
- Two will be used for ground static firing tests
- Two will be used for two VS-50 (S50-S44{most likely} rockets)
And there is an option for two S50 stages can be use on the primary launch of VLM-1 (S50-S50-S44).
This will happen in the coming 26 months.

So they can't keep the development schedule, but there is progress on the VLM-1.

There are a lot more interesting post on this website. A more resent post is about the reason why VLS-1 was terminated (and most likely also VLM-Alfa). The Inertial Navigation System (SISNAV) will be developed using the VS-43 sounding rocket. This is most likely a single S43 stage, from the stockpile manufactured for VLS-1 flight.

The L75 engine developed in Brazil has been test fired in Germany. I think Brazil has the technology to build a family of orbital launchers. What lacks is the political willingness to spend lots on the launchers development.

I hope the VLM-1 will progress and become operational. I think the VLM-1 will form the upper-bound of the micro satellite launcher cost for Europe. I'll explain on request.

Offline Salo

• Odessa, Ukraine
« Reply #85 on: 02/25/2017 09:55 pm »
« Last Edit: 02/26/2017 10:50 am by Salo »

Offline Salo

• Odessa, Ukraine

Offline Steven Pietrobon

• Adelaide, Australia
« Reply #87 on: 03/01/2017 07:09 am »
http://revistapesquisa.fapesp.br/en/2016/05/27/a-brazilian-satellite/

That article is from January 2016 says that Amazônia-1 will be launched in 2018. The launch vehicle is yet to be determined. Orbit is 750 km with a 5 day revisit time. Mass is just over 500 kg.
« Last Edit: 03/01/2017 07:09 am by Steven Pietrobon »

Offline Rik ISS-fan

• the Netherlands
« Reply #88 on: 07/21/2017 09:45 pm »
VS-50 PDR has taken place.
A lot is under discussion in Brazil, they want a VLM launch before 2019.
I also stumbled accross this DLR MoRaBa page that shows VS-50, VBS-43 and VLM-1.
My guess is that VBS-43 is a S43 with thrust vector control. Nice short term replacement for the Castor 4B in Maxus sounding rocket program.
I don't think US DoD likes this at all.
I like the possible suborbital/ hypersonic science that could be enabled by these three rockets.

Offline Rik ISS-fan

• the Netherlands
« Reply #89 on: 11/26/2017 12:03 am »
Lets do a update:
IAE VS-50 PDR announcement (old)
IAE project HARPIA (S43 static test) article with images
Brazil has offered the Alcatara Launch site to be used by the US. link (use translate)
But they have doubts. link2
« Last Edit: 11/26/2017 12:21 am by Rik ISS-fan »

Offline Tywin

« Reply #90 on: 05/07/2018 06:00 pm »
News from Brazil, they Amazonas-1 continue with good progress in the test  :D

http://brazilianspace.blogspot.com/2018/04/testes-eletricos-do-satelite-amazonia-1.html

The observatory "LLAMA" in collaboration with Argentina,  continue the construction, and is expect to be ready for 2019-2020  :D

http://argentinaenelespacio.blogspot.com/2018/03/argentina-y-brasil-avanzan-en-la.html

And Brazil, approve a new radiotelescopio to be construction in Paraiba  :o 8)

http://brazilianspace.blogspot.com/2018/05/astrofisica-no-sertao-radiotelescopio.html

The knowledge is power...Everything is connected...
The Turtle continues at a steady pace ...

« Reply #91 on: 08/09/2018 09:07 pm »
Does this NOTAM indicate some testing going on in Brazil?

O0409/18 NOTAMN
Q) SBAZ/QRPCA/IV/NBO/W/000/999/0157S04414W029
A) SBSL
B) 1808061500 C) 1808110300
D) AUG 06/07 TIL 10/11 1500-0300
E) PROHIBITED AREA (FALCON 1 OPERATION) BTN COORD 0207.26S/04430.00W
0132.61S/04406.92W
0139.36S/04353.28W 0212.93S/04413.08W 0224.50S/04420.00W 0221.80S/044
25.37W (COOR SBR 104) ACT
F) SFC G) UNL

Offline Steven Pietrobon

• Adelaide, Australia
« Reply #93 on: 09/14/2018 08:27 am »
Bing translation of first paragraph.

"Thursday, 13 September 2018
What happened to the ASTER Mission?
Hello reader!

Last week I was asked by one of our readers as they were fantastic development activities ASTER Mission, this mission coordinated by the Universidade Estadual Paulista (UNESP), in partnership with the INPE and various other research institutions and universities throughout Brazil that aimed to take the triple asteroid system "2001 SN263" the first brazilian space probe deep space."

Offline Tywin

« Reply #94 on: 09/27/2018 11:33 pm »
Interesting video that show the evolution of aerospace of brazil and talk a little of VLM-1  :o :D

Brazil wants to invest the money it gets with renting its Alcantara base in its space program ...

http://brazilianspace.blogspot.com/2018/09/governo-quer-usar-recursos-obtidos-com.html

It also continues to develop the VLM-1 with the German collaboration ... and it seems to be a mysterious project "Project VL-X" that I did not know if it was a major evolution of the launcher?

http://brazilianspace.blogspot.com/2018/09/ola-leitor-s-egue-abaixo-uma-nota.html

And it seems that the defense will finance the first Brazilian missile ... that has its spatial implications ...

http://brazilianspace.blogspot.com/2018/09/defesa-articula-fundo-para-primeiro.html

The knowledge is power...Everything is connected...
The Turtle continues at a steady pace ...

Offline ctrubas

• Liked: 13
« Reply #95 on: 12/11/2018 09:23 pm »
Last month, the Aeronautics and Space Institute (IAE) tested the S50 mtoor casing to the rupture point (hydrostatic test). The S50 motor will be used on the VS-50 vehicle and VLM-1.

Offline Salo

• Odessa, Ukraine

Offline Salo

• Odessa, Ukraine
« Reply #97 on: 12/16/2018 05:55 pm »
« Last Edit: 12/16/2018 07:50 pm by Salo »

Offline Rik ISS-fan

• the Netherlands
Re: Brazilian space plans: 2018-2028
« Reply #98 on: 12/17/2018 08:10 pm »
So lets kick off the speculation and discussion on the VLM VLX/Aquila launchers.
It's known what VLM is. It's a three stage all solids small launcher. VLM: S50-S50-S44m.
S50 is a new solid rocket motor containing 12mT of solid propellant and a CFRP composite casing.
S44m is a solid rocket motor containing 0,88mT of propellant. It was developed for the VS40 and VLS.

What could VLX/Aquila 1 be. I think that on VLX/Aquila1 the S44m is replaces by a liquid (?bipropallent) stage.
From older presentations Brazilians have been developing four different liquid engines L5, L15, L75 and L300 (kN thrust).
They have test-fired L5 and L75. So I think fir VLX there are two options:
1) S50-S50-L5 (a VLM with S44 replaced by L5 liquid upper stage, weighing ~1mT)
2) S50-L75 (Both the S50 second stage and S44 stage replaced by a 10-15mT second LOx-CxHx second stage ~75kN.
I think there most likely VLX is the first one. The L5 could later be supplemented by the L15 for the VLX/Aquila 1E.

(I was bold enough to change the topic title.)
Edit to add:
It's also known that there were plans for a L300 (4x L75). Let's add some other launcher options with this:
3) Aquila 2? L300-L75-L15, or a two stage L300-L75.
4) 2xS50-L75-L15. (the S50 are side boosters of a overweight L75 core).
5) L500-L75 (7xL75 - L75) with optionally a L5/L15 upperstage.
Then there are also other solid options:
6) 2xS50-S50-S50-L5/L15 (assumed by Brazilspace blogspot)
7) 2xS50-S50-L75 (+L15)
But hopefully Brazil keeps their focus on one project plan, and successfully executes it.
I'm curious what you think VLX is!?
« Last Edit: 12/17/2018 08:35 pm by Rik ISS-fan »

Offline Salo

• Odessa, Ukraine
« Reply #99 on: 12/17/2018 08:32 pm »
https://brazilianspace.blogspot.com/2018/12/ola-leitor-segue-um-interessantissima.html
Google translate:
The continuity of the Microsatellite Launcher Vehicle (VLM) is guaranteed, and the introduction of the launcher Aquila I and Aquila Ie (VLX Family), different from each other by the weight they carry and the altitude at which they arrive, is guaranteed.
The "VLX" family will consist of three stage launchers, ie three S50 engines in the first stage (two sides), another S50 driving the second stage and a liquid propellant rocket engine as a third stage.
The load capacity would be around 300 to 500 kg (or even more), depending on the height and orbit to be achieved.
According to Brigitte Verissimo (update), the next vehicle after Aquila 1 will be called Aquila 1e (e = enhanced) and not Aquila 2. The Aquila 1e will have an upper stage the pressurized liquid propulsion and will not be used the L-75 engine . The capacity of this stage has not yet been defined.
This new family will not make the VLM-1 project unfeasible, according to Brigadier Vital, as it is necessary to qualify the S50 engines in flight, among other things.

The VS-50 is a vehicle with 12 meters of compliance, 1.46 meters in diameter and mass estimated at 15 tons.
It has, in its first stage, an S50 engine and, in its second stage, an S44 engine, previously used in VLS-1.
For the VLM-1, a second S50 engine will be added. They will make up the first and second stages of the rocket and the S44 will be the third.
The S50 engines are in production at Avibras Aerospace, through a contract signed with the Foundation for Support of Space Science and Technology Research Projects (Funcate).
In the contract is planned to build six engines, but there are already set for the purchase of two others to complete the mission of launching the VLM.
Thus, in anticipation of scenarios, the CDPEB created a working group to deal with the VLX, successor to the VLM, configured to use two S50 engines laterally as booster.
« Last Edit: 12/17/2018 08:32 pm by Salo »

Offline Salo

• Odessa, Ukraine

Offline Rik ISS-fan

• the Netherlands
Re: Brazilian space plans: 2018-2028
« Reply #101 on: 12/17/2018 08:49 pm »
So according to brazilspace blogspot the VS50, VLM VLX family will be comprised of:
VS-50 (S50-S44)
VLM (S50-S50-S44)
VLX/Aquila 1 (2xS50 (side boosters)-S50-S50-L5)
VLX/Aquila 1E (2xS50 (side boosters)-S50-S50-L15)

I prefer the name VS54 for VS50, because possibly there are other suborbital rocket options:
- A single S50 stage (VS-50)
- VSB-50 (S50-S50)
- VS-55 (S50-L5/L15)
Blogspot is also stating that Brazil abandoned the VS-43 / VBS-43 development (S43 VLS first stage with S44 2th stage). I think this would be a pitty, because they are complementary to the S50 suborbital rocket options.
Edit to add: VBS-43 could also be a atitude controlled instead of spin controlled VS-43 (Single S43 stage),
a VS-44 could be the S43-S44m. But most probably MoBaRa is preferring Borealis (6/7x UM-2).
But it's very tough competing against a Blue Origin New Sheppard. 
« Last Edit: 12/17/2018 09:00 pm by Rik ISS-fan »

Offline Star One

• UK
  • Liked: 3974
  • Likes Given: 220
« Reply #102 on: 08/02/2019 05:38 pm »
BRASILIA, Aug 2 (Reuters) - The head of Brazil's space research agency INPE, Ricardo Galvao, is to leave his position following a public dispute with President Jair Bolsonaro over deforestation statistics, a spokesperson for the science ministry said on Friday.

https://news.yahoo.com/1-brazils-space-agency-chief-155847228.html

Offline ctrubas

Re: Brazilian space plans: from 2011 forward
« Reply #103 on: 11/12/2019 11:08 pm »
Not related directly to Launchers, but today the Brazil-U.S. Safeguard Agreement on Space and Defense Technology was approved. In my opinion, the agreement will change the direction of the Brazilian Space Program since the Alcantara Space Center may be used by U.S. Launch Companies.

https://www.usnews.com/news/technology/articles/2019-11-12/brazil-senate-approves-technology-safeguard-agreement-with-us

https://business.financialpost.com/pmn/business-pmn/brazil-senate-approves-technology-safeguard-agreement-with-u-s

Offline Asteroza

• Liked: 1084
  • Likes Given: 33
« Reply #104 on: 11/13/2019 01:41 am »
Not related directly to Launchers, but today the Brazil-U.S. Safeguard Agreement on Space and Defense Technology was approved. In my opinion, the agreement will change the direction of the Brazilian Space Program since the Alcantara Space Center may be used by U.S. Launch Companies.

https://www.usnews.com/news/technology/articles/2019-11-12/brazil-senate-approves-technology-safeguard-agreement-with-us

https://business.financialpost.com/pmn/business-pmn/brazil-senate-approves-technology-safeguard-agreement-with-u-s

I wonder who will try to launch from there at this point. Anybody trying for smaller GEO sats would certainly find it interesting, and we might see some Cyclone interest again...

I wonder if the agreement is enough of a template for other countries to set up shop at Alcantara as well?

Offline ctrubas

« Reply #105 on: 11/15/2019 02:33 pm »
The agreement approved ir related directly to the U.S. because of the safeguard of technoglogies. For example, if the U.S. decide to launch a satellite from Alcantara, how the equipment will enter in Brazilian soil? Now, the U.S. may launch in Alcantara protecting its techonologies.

I think EXOS will be the first small launcher company to try something here...
« Last Edit: 11/15/2019 02:34 pm by ctrubas »

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography