Author Topic: New NSF Feedback Thread  (Read 375355 times)

Offline NSF Webmaster

• Administrator
  • Almere, The Netherlands
    • NASASpaceFlight.com
  • Liked: 219
  • Likes Given: 19
Re: New NSF Feedback Thread
« Reply #540 on: 08/17/2015 08:27 pm »
I borrowed the screen shot

None of these work in Chrome for me anymore since my browser auto updated itself to Version 44.0.2403.155 (64-bit) on Mac OSX Version 10.10.4 (Build 14E46) (64bit)

You can click on the buttons but they no longer work in my posts

EDIT: Currently Installing the 10.10.5 update which fixes some related issues. Ill post what happens.

Already noted here: http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=32793.msg1392147#msg1392147

The buttons are working for me again, can you also test this ? Please CTRL-F5 the post edit page to clear the browser cache.

Mark

Offline russianhalo117

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 4671
  • Likes Given: 768
« Reply #541 on: 08/17/2015 08:44 pm »

None of these work in Chrome for me anymore since my browser auto updated itself to Version 44.0.2403.155 (64-bit) on Mac OSX Version 10.10.4 (Build 14E46) (64bit)

EDIT: Currently Installing the 10.10.5 update which fixes some related issues. Ill post what happens.

Already noted here: http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=32793.msg1392147#msg1392147

The buttons are working for me again, can you also test this ? Please CTRL-F5 the post edit page to clear the browser cache.

Mark
That fixed it for now. ;)

UPDATE: Also works as of now in 10.10.5 (Build 14F27)
« Last Edit: 08/17/2015 08:46 pm by russianhalo117 »

Online catdlr

• Enthusiast since the Redstones
  • Marina del Rey, California, USA
  • Liked: 8782
  • Likes Given: 7815
« Reply #542 on: 08/17/2015 11:49 pm »

Mark

Works for me too, Great!!, Thanks Webmaster.
Tony De La Rosa, ...I'm no Feline Dealer!! I move mountains.  but I'm better known for "I think it's highly sexual." Japanese to English Translation.

Offline Coastal Ron

• I live... along the coast
  • Liked: 10198
  • Likes Given: 11927
« Reply #543 on: 08/18/2015 01:14 am »
Just a heads up: I'm fixing the Likes display and some other things as we speak. The ' Likes ' might show up a bit weird in the next 10 minutes. Please refresh your page if that's the case.

I LOVE (and was checking formatting buttons too - they work again) this feature, and I've been wanting it for a long time so that I could see if I was giving as much as I was getting.  I'm close, but still under, so I have set a personal goal to get my Liked & Likes as close as possible.

Now I'm a relatively newer member, and I've only been actively posting since February 2014 (after Space Politics shut down), so I don't have as many posts as some others.  But comparing Liked & Likes doesn't matter for how long you've been a member, so it is interesting to see how many "Likes" others have given compared to what they have got.  Not making any judgements, just thinking it's interesting data to see, so thanks for adding it.
If we don't continuously lower the cost to access space, how are we ever going to afford to expand humanity out into space?

Offline the_other_Doug

• Minneapolis, MN
  • Liked: 2191
  • Likes Given: 4620
« Reply #544 on: 08/18/2015 01:14 am »

I

Mark

Works for me too, Great!!, Thanks Webmaster.

I like this very much!   :D

Thanks, Mark!
-Doug  (With my shield, not yet upon it)

Offline sghill

• United States
  • Liked: 2092
  • Likes Given: 3200
« Reply #545 on: 08/18/2015 04:11 pm »
I'm not sure I like the "Likes Given" feature.  People don't need to know how many posts I like.

On a related note, I'd love to see it replaced with a "Quoted" feature showing the number of times a user has been quoted (just track when the "quote" button is pushed on a post.  This will establish authoritativeness for users.

« Last Edit: 08/18/2015 04:12 pm by sghill »
Bring the thunder!

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #546 on: 08/18/2015 05:02 pm »

On a related note, I'd love to see it replaced with a "Quoted" feature showing the number of times a user has been quoted (just track when the "quote" button is pushed on a post.  This will establish authoritativeness for users.

Forum posts are not news articles where you only quote relevant comments for the purpose of reporting. You quote someone on a forum to respond to them. You may think it's the most stupid thing ever said on the internet and you want to respond to correct it, but by quoting it you've just added to their authoritativeness! You may think it's the best thing ever written by someone, but you may only like the post or respond without quoting - but by doing that you've not added to their authoritativeness. In fact, you'd be encouraging the worse thing on forums, people quoting massive posts and responding with only a "Right on!" That's what "likes" mitigate ;D

In short, not going to happen! :)
« Last Edit: 08/18/2015 05:03 pm by Chris Bergin »
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline the_other_Doug

• Minneapolis, MN
  • Liked: 2191
  • Likes Given: 4620
« Reply #547 on: 08/18/2015 05:31 pm »
There are times times, though, when I'd like to "like with a smiley" so I can indicate I liked a post because it was amusing or entertaining, rather than a straight "like" which simply states I agree with the post.  I'd also like a "dislike" button for posts I strongly disagree with, but I can understand why we probably don't want to go there...
-Doug  (With my shield, not yet upon it)

Offline nadreck

« Reply #548 on: 08/18/2015 05:41 pm »
I'm not sure I like the "Likes Given" feature.  People don't need to know how many posts I like.

I do enjoy this feature, I have no issue with people seeing what I liked, they could in theory have seen it when I liked it. However since I don't remember everything, nor do I read every post, I enjoy the ability to delve into the personality of a poster and find out what they liked and disliked.

Does anyone want to guess who the first person was who I checked the likes given tab of when I realized it existed? Just curiosity, which is of course why I read a lot of what I read (here and everywhere else).
It is all well and good to quote those things that made it past your confirmation bias that other people wrote, but this is a discussion board damnit! Let us know what you think! And why!

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #549 on: 08/18/2015 06:01 pm »
There are times times, though, when I'd like to "like with a smiley" so I can indicate I liked a post because it was amusing or entertaining, rather than a straight "like" which simply states I agree with the post.  I'd also like a "dislike" button for posts I strongly disagree with, but I can understand why we probably don't want to go there...

There's probably a limit on the amount of things we can do per that. Mark (and Jester) have had to reprogram the add on as it was a big strain on the database with tracking all the likes and such. Things I don't know about, but can appreciate it as the forum goes through so much activity each second - such as each person entering the site then goes and does things like loads images on forum threads and info and such and it's all tracked and downloaded, provided and so on....fascinating, especially when the site is busy. Adding more tasks for the software to track could be a problem when the site gets busy.
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline mfck

• Office Plankton Representative
  • Israel
  • Liked: 254
  • Likes Given: 222
« Reply #550 on: 08/18/2015 06:16 pm »
Sorry if this has already been asked...

Why don't we have a "Like" button in Tapatalk?
« Last Edit: 08/18/2015 06:17 pm by mfck »

Offline PerW

• Gothenburg, Sweden
  • Liked: 16
  • Likes Given: 615
« Reply #551 on: 08/18/2015 06:45 pm »

There is one in the Taptalk I use?
Maybe try to update?

Offline mfck

• Office Plankton Representative
  • Israel
  • Liked: 254
  • Likes Given: 222
« Reply #552 on: 08/18/2015 08:48 pm »

Maybe try to update?
5.1.1 b526 - latest to my knowledge

Edit: OK, now that you mention it, I found mine
« Last Edit: 08/18/2015 08:49 pm by mfck »

Offline Helodriver

• Liked: 5971
  • Likes Given: 700
« Reply #553 on: 08/19/2015 04:35 am »
With all the fixing of the "likes" function it seems "likes" are only listed once now on the profile page rather than twice as has recently been happening. That's good, but missing is the cool likes per post ratio number (which I found more useful than posts per day listed immediately above it).

I suppose I can always calculate the number manually with some simple math, but I'm too lazy to do that. ;)

Offline NSF Webmaster

• Administrator
  • Almere, The Netherlands
    • NASASpaceFlight.com
  • Liked: 219
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #554 on: 08/19/2015 08:25 am »
That's good, but missing is the cool likes per post ratio number (which I found more useful than posts per day listed immediately above it).

Check again :)

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #555 on: 08/19/2015 10:05 am »
That's good, but missing is the cool likes per post ratio number (which I found more useful than posts per day listed immediately above it).

Which is utterly pointless when some people have been posting here for ten years, but likes have only been enabled for the last year.

Mark seems to like it, so I'll bow to his judgement ;D
« Last Edit: 08/19/2015 01:37 pm by Chris Bergin »

Offline MP99

« Reply #556 on: 08/20/2015 11:15 pm »

Maybe try to update?
5.1.1 b526 - latest to my knowledge

Edit: OK, now that you mention it, I found mine

I believe this is a new feature - and suspect it is TT themselves keeping their own private count, which will not reflect in stats on the site.

Cheers, Martin

Online Semmel

• Germany
  • Liked: 2433
  • Likes Given: 11916
« Reply #557 on: 08/26/2015 10:55 am »
I just want to say thank you Mark for your work and making this site better still! I notices that the "Like" stuff got fixed a few days ago and I like the way it is now. I just came here to say Thx! :)

Offline WulfTheSaxon

• #geekpolitics on DALnet
  • Liked: 29
  • Likes Given: 1033
« Reply #558 on: 09/05/2015 11:23 pm »

Which is utterly pointless when some people have been posting here for ten years, but likes have only been enabled for the last year.

Mark seems to like it, so I'll bow to his judgement ;D

It’d be a lot more useful if the ratio only counted posts since the date the feature was implemented. Not sure about likes on old posts from prior to that date, though…

Offline DatUser14

• Liked: 191
  • Likes Given: 651
« Reply #559 on: 09/13/2015 10:12 pm »
What happened to the public videos section?
Titan IVB was a cool rocket

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography