Author Topic: SpaceX Falcon 9 FT - SES-9 - Launch Viewing Thread  (Read 59642 times)

Offline MechE31

• MELBOURNE, FL
  • Liked: 284
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: SpaceX Falcon 9 FT - SES-9 - Launch Viewing Thread
« Reply #20 on: 02/16/2016 05:55 pm »
I just bought our tickets for the LC-39 Observation Gantry. They must be busy - I was on hold for about 15-20 minutes.

We're planning to drive out from where we're visiting the grandparents in Fort Myers during the day on the 24th, board the bus starting around 4:30, then stay overnight to do the tours on Thursday, which then also gives us the opportunity to be around for the backup date (bite my tongue). We got a multi-day admission for the 24th and 25th for $75, instead of the daily for $50, plus the launch transportation.

Any tips and advice for a neophyte on what to bring to be comfortable and keep a somewhat-high-maintenance 12-year-old boy happy during the wait?

E-gad... I've wanted to do this since I was about six years old. I can't believe it's next week.

Do not forget bug spray. Bugs are absolutely terrible on base...

Offline drnscr

• Liked: 121
  • Likes Given: 37
« Reply #21 on: 02/16/2016 06:15 pm »
We were able to make changes to our itinerary allowing us to overnight in Titusville.  What, if anything, will we be able to see from there?

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
  • Cape Canaveral Spaceport
  • Liked: 21450
  • Likes Given: 428
« Reply #22 on: 02/16/2016 06:41 pm »
We were able to make changes to our itinerary allowing us to overnight in Titusville.  What, if anything, will we be able to see from there?

The pad is due east across the rivers from there

Offline sghill

• United States
  • Liked: 2092
  • Likes Given: 3200
« Reply #23 on: 02/16/2016 06:54 pm »

Titusville is only a 20 minute jaunt away from Port Canaveral (it's all local roads) and 15 miles from the pad, but the view is great from any of the river parks along Rt. 5.  It won't be terribly loud though.

My suggestion that you go have dinner outside or on the roof of one of the port restaurants, and then watch the launch over a plate of grouper, then go back to Titusville- especially if you've got kids in tow. 

Or go over to the Visitor's Center and catch it there (for a fee) from the same approximate distance as the port.

You'll feel muuuuuch closer to it at either of those two locations since it's not a very large rocket (compared to the shuttle).
Bring the thunder!

Offline cscott

• Liked: 2867
  • Likes Given: 726
« Reply #24 on: 02/16/2016 08:33 pm »
I just bought our tickets for the LC-39 Observation Gantry. They must be busy - I was on hold for about 15-20 minutes.

We're planning to drive out from where we're visiting the grandparents in Fort Myers during the day on the 24th, board the bus starting around 4:30, then stay overnight to do the tours on Thursday, which then also gives us the opportunity to be around for the backup date (bite my tongue). We got a multi-day admission for the 24th and 25th for $75, instead of the daily for $50, plus the launch transportation.

Any tips and advice for a neophyte on what to bring to be comfortable and keep a somewhat-high-maintenance 12-year-old boy happy during the wait?

E-gad... I've wanted to do this since I was about six years old. I can't believe it's next week.
I've got observation gantry tickets too.  I'll be there with my wife, kids, and both sets of the kids' grandparents.  I'm hoping some binoculars and model rockets will keep my three-year-old occupied until the launch.

Now who's got a big NSF flag we can rally around?

Offline mvpel

• New Hampshire
  • Liked: 1303
  • Likes Given: 1685
« Reply #25 on: 02/17/2016 12:23 am »
I'd love to bring my Falcon 9 1.0 model rocket, but it and the B6-4 engines and igniters wouldn't make it through airline carry-on screening, I suspect.  :o Good idea about binoculars, I'll have to put 'em in the suitcase.

I'll plan to be wearing the CRS-3 tee shirt and tan SpaceX cap they sent. I think I tucked the shirt away somewhere, I'll have to track it down or be stuck with the generic black SpaceX polo.

[edit: found the CRS-3 shirt!]

The NSF CafePress site has oval stickers as well as button pins in two sizes; perhaps get a few of those and stick em on everyone's shirts. I'm buying five now - three for my wife, son, and I, and two for grandma and grandpa.
« Last Edit: 02/19/2016 10:49 pm by mvpel »
"Ugly programs are like ugly suspension bridges: they're much more liable to collapse than pretty ones, because the way humans (especially engineer-humans) perceive beauty is intimately related to our ability to process and understand complexity. A language that makes it hard to write elegant code makes it hard to write good code." - Eric S. Raymond

Offline MarekCyzio

« Reply #26 on: 02/17/2016 11:57 am »

Not in February. I walked around Merritt Island National Wildlife Refuge last weekend and no bugs.

Offline cscott

« Reply #27 on: 02/17/2016 12:50 pm »
I'd love to bring my Falcon 9 1.0 model rocket, but it and the B6-4 engines and igniters wouldn't make it through airline carry-on screening, I suspect.  :o Good idea about binoculars, I'll have to put 'em in the suitcase.

Since you mentioned it... [see below for attachment]

The three closest to my son are his toys (two dragons and a stubby F9).  The rest fly.  In the case of the FH, only theoretically (haven't found a field large enough to launch it yet).

There's an ASDS model for him as well.  For some reason, whenever he lands a rocket on it, it falls over and explodes.  Which he enjoys very much.

(Re: binoculars --- there are some good ~$30 binoculars from celestron. If anyone is looking to buy a pair for the launch, I can make recommendations.)
« Last Edit: 02/17/2016 06:09 pm by cscott »

Offline D_Dom

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 481
  • Likes Given: 152
« Reply #28 on: 02/17/2016 03:32 pm »
Great job raising the next generation of rocket scientists. I always know I have done the right thing when my two year old granddaughter has a similar grin on her face.
Space is not merely a matter of life or death, it is considerably more important than that!

Offline D_Dom

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 481
  • Likes Given: 152
« Reply #29 on: 02/17/2016 03:34 pm »

Now who's got a big NSF flag we can rally around?

Something for Chris to add to the online store! Sign me up, I will proudly fly it at my next launch.
Space is not merely a matter of life or death, it is considerably more important than that!

Offline CyndyC

« Reply #30 on: 02/17/2016 03:56 pm »

Not in February. I walked around Merritt Island National Wildlife Refuge last weekend and no bugs.

It seems to depend on the temperature in Jacksonville more than the time of year, and we've had some days in the 70s and 80s this winter. Mosquitoes can come out of nowhere. I've even had a few inside my house recently.
"Either lead, follow, or get out of the way." -- quote of debatable origin tweeted by Ted Turner and previously seen on his desk

Offline CyndyC

« Reply #31 on: 02/17/2016 04:50 pm »
A better question for me right now is will anyone be watching the SpaceX broadcast from home? I can dig into some reserve funds for things like car repairs to go, just not sure I really should. I already have 2 new front tires, so that's a plus.
"Either lead, follow, or get out of the way." -- quote of debatable origin tweeted by Ted Turner and previously seen on his desk

Offline mvpel

• New Hampshire
  • Liked: 1303
  • Likes Given: 1685
« Reply #32 on: 02/19/2016 10:25 pm »
I just cancelled two LC-39 Gantry tickets, if anyone called and they were sold out. (The grandparents didn't want to drive four hours there and back.)

And recommendations on binoculars would be welcome - we have a 25+-year-old pair and they're okay, but if we can get another pair for a moderate cost that would mean we wouldn't have to trade off.
« Last Edit: 02/19/2016 10:32 pm by mvpel »
"Ugly programs are like ugly suspension bridges: they're much more liable to collapse than pretty ones, because the way humans (especially engineer-humans) perceive beauty is intimately related to our ability to process and understand complexity. A language that makes it hard to write elegant code makes it hard to write good code." - Eric S. Raymond

Offline cscott

« Reply #33 on: 02/20/2016 07:31 am »
I just cancelled two LC-39 Gantry tickets, if anyone called and they were sold out. (The grandparents didn't want to drive four hours there and back.)

And recommendations on binoculars would be welcome - we have a 25+-year-old pair and they're okay, but if we can get another pair for a moderate cost that would mean we wouldn't have to trade off.
These are the recommendations I found:
http://www.rocketryforum.com/archive/index.php/t-7189.html

Celestron makes $25-$30 binoculars which are reportedly much better than they ought to be for that cost.  That's probably in the right ballpark for a "just so we don't have to share" pair?

Since I'm coming with a mob, I bought the Celestron UpClose G2 10x50 Porro Binocular 71256 ($25) and the
Celestron UpClose G2 20x50 Porro Binocular 71258 ($30) for passing around.  I also got a pair of Bushnell permafocus binoculars thinking they'd be better for my young son, but I think they're still really too heavy for that plan to work.
« Last Edit: 02/20/2016 07:36 am by cscott »

Offline deruch

• California
  • Liked: 2006
  • Likes Given: 5634
« Reply #34 on: 02/20/2016 11:20 pm »
I also got a pair of Bushnell permafocus binoculars thinking they'd be better for my young son, but I think they're still really too heavy for that plan to work.

You could build a simple support stand to help him hold them.  Just a dowel, properly sized for his height, and some sort of cross bar at the top.  I've attached some detailed engineering specs showing what I'm talking about.
Shouldn't reality posts be in "Advanced concepts"?  --Nomadd

Offline llanitedave

• Nevada Desert
  • Liked: 1545
  • Likes Given: 2052
« Reply #35 on: 02/21/2016 04:03 am »
I've attached some detailed engineering specs showing what I'm talking about.

Masterful engineering!
"I've just abducted an alien -- now what?"

Offline MediumFidelity

• Schaumburg, IL
    • Floodlight Software LLC
  • Liked: 2
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #36 on: 02/21/2016 07:30 pm »
The 45th has issued a launch weather forecast:

http://www.patrick.af.mil/shared/media/document/AFD-070716-028.pdf

Launch day probability of violating launch weather constraints: 40%
Primary concern(s): Cumulus and Thick Cloud Layer Rules, Liftoff Winds

24-hour delay probability of violating launch weather constraints: 20%
Primary concern(s): Liftoff Winds

Still have to book my airfare, I think I'll hang around for a second attempt.  :-)

-MF

Offline cscott

« Reply #37 on: 02/21/2016 08:48 pm »
Luckily we've got a five-day Disney pass, so we can decide on the fly which day we're going to skip the park and go to KSC.

Offline adriankemp

• San Jose
  • Liked: 9
  • Likes Given: 11
« Reply #38 on: 02/22/2016 04:04 pm »
We are just driving to Cocoa Beach to check in to the hotel.

Assuming we arrive prior to the static fire, can you guys give me some indication of what/where I can be looking for to provide some confirmation of the test? I'm not sure how close we'll hear anything.

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
  • Cape Canaveral Spaceport
  • Liked: 21450
  • Likes Given: 428
« Reply #39 on: 02/22/2016 04:08 pm »
We are just driving to Cocoa Beach to check in to the hotel.

Assuming we arrive prior to the static fire, can you guys give me some indication of what/where I can be looking for to provide some confirmation of the test? I'm not sure how close we'll hear anything.

This website will likely be the only confirmation.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography