Author Topic: Delft Aerospace Rocket Engineeing (DARE)  (Read 38255 times)

Offline Fmedici

• Italy
  • Liked: 443
  • Likes Given: 315
Re: Delft Aerospace Rocket Engineeing (DARE)
« Reply #60 on: 10/21/2021 06:24 am »
Second attempt scrubbed, new attempt on Friday/Saturday:

https://twitter.com/daretudelft/status/1450906565364666382

Offline russianhalo117

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 4673
  • Likes Given: 768
« Reply #61 on: 10/21/2021 08:18 pm »
Livestream for attempt 3:

Offline Terrible T

• Earth/NL
  • Liked: 1
  • Likes Given: 2

Offline russianhalo117

• Global Moderator
« Reply #63 on: 10/23/2021 05:22 pm »
Final attempt in the present launch period:

Offline Steven Pietrobon

• Adelaide, Australia
    • Steven Pietrobon's Space Archive
  • Liked: 32738
  • Likes Given: 8196
« Reply #64 on: 11/16/2021 05:09 am »
The launch was aborted and the team has headed back home.

"24 Oct StratosIV Update: We are updating you all that the team has decided to not go through with the launch tonight. Troubleshooting with the Quick Disconnect (QD) throughout the day did not lead to a solution that the team was confident in or predictable, but most of all safe. After discussions between management and the crew at the pad, it was deemed infeasible and unsafe to continue any further. As this was our final launch window, the team has no other option than to return to Delft."

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=4574422632619136&id=430400370354737

« Last Edit: 11/16/2021 05:10 am by Steven Pietrobon »
Akin's Laws of Spacecraft Design #1:  Engineering is done with numbers.  Analysis without numbers is only an opinion.

Offline catdlr

• Enthusiast since the Redstones
  • Marina del Rey, California, USA
  • Liked: 8824
  • Likes Given: 7834
« Reply #65 on: 04/30/2022 05:46 am »
Project Sparrow | Firebolt Liquid Rocket Engine Test 4

On April 22nd, Project Sparrow performed a successful two-second test of the DLX-150A Firebolt, DARE's first functional liquid-fuel rocket engine prototype, running on a mixture of Ethanol-LOx, with a design thrust of 15kN.
The goal of the test was to validate the injector design and ignition sequence. The engine tested was a lower chamber pressure variant, and reached an average thrust of 11kN at a chamber pressure of 40 bar.

Tony De La Rosa, ...I'm no Feline Dealer!! I move mountains.  but I'm better known for "I think it's highly sexual." Japanese to English Translation.

Offline Rik ISS-fan

• the Netherlands
  • Liked: 618
  • Likes Given: 211
« Reply #66 on: 04/30/2022 10:07 am »
This was the 4th test of the DLX-150A Firebolt, a boilerplate version of the engine they aim to develop.
Here is a picture of the DLX-150B Firebolt, the engine they aim to develop.
Regenerative cooled, pressure feed, 15kN LOx-Ethanol. With thrust vector control.

https://dare.tudelft.nl/project-sparrow/

At the same time they are working on a 1.2kN HTP-Ethanol engine for the EUROC 2023 Dodo rocket.
https://www.instagram.com/p/Ca7O3A4Daln/

Two options: (I'm not sure which one is more correct.)
1) DARE has very bright students/members and get's acces to very advanced production technologies.
2) Modern production technologies and simulation have made rocket-science less hard.
« Last Edit: 04/30/2022 10:14 am by Rik ISS-fan »

Offline catdlr

« Reply #67 on: 07/15/2022 05:43 am »
Project Sparrow | DLX-150A 'Firebolt' Liquid Rocket Engine Test 5

In July 2022, Project Sparrow performed another successful two-second test of the DLX-150A Firebolt, DARE's first functional liquid-fuel rocket engine prototype, running on a mixture of Ethanol-LOx, with a design thrust of 15kN.
The goal of the test was to validate the injector design and ignition sequence. The test targeted a chamber pressure of 30 bar, producing around 9kN of thrust.

Tony De La Rosa, ...I'm no Feline Dealer!! I move mountains.  but I'm better known for "I think it's highly sexual." Japanese to English Translation.

Offline Rik ISS-fan

• the Netherlands
  • Liked: 618
  • Likes Given: 211
« Reply #68 on: 07/18/2022 10:12 pm »
I think test 6 was even more impressive. the DLX-150B for ~2 sec. long ignition time though.
And besides the DLX-150B they are also developing the DODO HTP Ethanol rocket for EUROC 2023.
Are these DARE university students this smart, or is rocket science less hard than industry made it look?

Offline russianhalo117

• Global Moderator
« Reply #69 on: 10/01/2022 08:29 pm »
DLR REXUS: TU Delft SHEAR/SPEAR launch campaigns aboard REXUS 27/28 at Esrange, Sweden. The range schedule for Esrange can be found here and new missions are added once their requested launch window has been approved:
https://sscspace.com/esrange/rocket-ballon-activities/

REXUS27/28 flight's technological readiness level qualification payloads announced so far are as follows:

SHEAR (Supersonic Heatshield Experiment Aboard REXUS):
Deployable Aerodynamic Stabiliser (DAS)

SPEAR (Supersonic Parachute Experiment Aboard REXUS):
Drogue parachute materials experiment

Other relevant mission information such as all scheduled payloads:
https://rexusbexus.net/
« Last Edit: 10/01/2022 08:51 pm by russianhalo117 »

Offline catdlr

« Reply #70 on: 10/08/2022 03:24 am »
Introducing Stratos V

The Project Sparrow team recently closed its chapter on the development of a technology demonstrator for a reusable liquid rocket engine with great success. For over two years, the team has worked on the reusable DLX-150B 'Firebolt' Liquid Rocket Engine, performing cold-flow tests, perfecting injector design and ignition sequence and performing a total of 30 seconds of burn time with a reused engine. With the engine up and running, DARE is presented with a great opportunity to take on the next step. Introducing Stratos V, DARE's new flagship project. Our mission is to develop, launch and fully recover a technology demonstrator for a reusable rocket based on the liquid rocket engine developed and tested by the engineers of Project Sparrow.

Offline catdlr

« Reply #71 on: 10/15/2022 02:14 am »
Hot fire testing of the DLX-150 'Firebolt' liquid bi-propellant rocket engine in order

Project Sparrow developed the DLX-150 'Firebolt‘ liquid bi-propellant engine and tested it many times. In this video, seven hot fire tests conducted over the last two years are shown in chronological order, with the engine reaching a total burn time of over 30 seconds at full flow. We are excited to design a rocket based on this incredible liquid propellant engine. Stay tuned for more!

Offline catdlr

« Reply #72 on: 10/15/2022 02:16 am »
SPEAR subsystems: Drogue Parachute Deployment Device (DPDD)

During the weeks leading up to the SPEAR launch campaign, team members will present a part that they worked on and explain their function and any encountered challenges. Get to know the SPEAR vehicle before its flight!

The fourth video, by Wim Jodehl, is on the Drogue Parachute Deployment Device (DPDD) system of SPEAR.

Offline catdlr

« Reply #73 on: 10/21/2022 11:47 am »
Project Sparrow | DLX-150B 'Firebolt' Hot Fire Test 9

In September 2022, Project Sparrow performed its fourth and last hot fire test of the regeneratively-cooled DLX-150B engine. The 3D-printed Ethanol-LOx engine ran at a reduced chamber pressure of 30 bar for 6.5 seconds, producing a steady 9 kN of thrust. Further testing of the engine will be carried out over the course of project Stratos V.

Offline russianhalo117

• Global Moderator
« Reply #74 on: 10/26/2022 06:42 am »
SPEAR  payload Assembly CGI animation:

Offline catdlr

« Reply #75 on: 05/02/2023 07:17 pm »

May 2, 2023
During the March 2023 launchday, DARE conducted three static tests of solid rocket motors and launched five rockets in total:

IRM: The 'Intermediate Rocket Motor' made by the Solid propulsion team was successfully tested twice, thus validating it for future DARE missions.

DSX-12: The 'Sustainer Reborn' motor is based on the Stratos Sustainer, which powered the second stage of Stratos I.

Finkers-2: Made by@spacesocietytwente9575, this rocket was successfully launched and recovered.

WALRUS: A personal project using a Disk-Gap-Band (DGB) type parachute for recovery. Unfortunately, this rocket wasn't successfully recovered.

CanSat: DARE is the launch provider for the high school Cansat competition. Two Cansat launchers were launched, which deployed the student-built Cansats at 1 km.

PIP III: This rocket tested a ringsail parachute with active reefing.

Offline catdlr

« Reply #76 on: 02/27/2024 06:30 pm »
Stratos V Project Update

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography