Author Topic: Senator Shelby reportedly plans to retire  (Read 12606 times)

Online Eer

• Liked: 469
  • Likes Given: 913
Senator Shelby reportedly plans to retire
« on: 02/06/2021 01:19 am »
Public link: https://apnews.com/article/3da7dc8dadb6918ad6f0dcfc4fe125a8

Associated Press sources reports that the influential senator does not plan to run for re-election in 2022.

Given the election of a new senator last year, this would seem to really reduce the state’s influence in attracting federal agency dollars to the state.
From "The Rhetoric of Interstellar Flight", by Paul Gilster, March 10, 2011: We’ll build a future in space one dogged step at a time, and when asked how long humanity will struggle before reaching the stars, we’ll respond, “As long as it takes.”

Offline Coastal Ron

• I live... along the coast
  • Liked: 10199
  • Likes Given: 11934
Re: Senator Shelby reportedly plans to retire
« Reply #1 on: 02/06/2021 01:51 am »
Public link: https://apnews.com/article/3da7dc8dadb6918ad6f0dcfc4fe125a8

Associated Press sources reports that the influential senator does not plan to run for re-election in 2022.

Given the election of a new senator last year, this would seem to really reduce the state’s influence in attracting federal agency dollars to the state.

Since Congress paused their use of earmarks the influence of people in Congress to directly send money to their state or districts has receded somewhat.

And even though Republicans are in the minority in Congress, that doesn't automatically means that companies Senator Shelby has helped in the past will suddenly lose the government contracts they have already been awarded.

As for the SLS, it has always relied on the perception of a majority of members of Congress that it was worth funding, even though the vast majority of them get no direct benefit from the program. And that is because of the situation where "A funded program tends to stay funded".

So the bottom line is that I don't think Shelby retiring will make a difference in the lifecycle of the SLS, regardless what its future may hold. And as for Senator Shelby, the nicest thing I can say is that I hope he does retire...  :D
If we don't continuously lower the cost to access space, how are we ever going to afford to expand humanity out into space?

Offline spacenut

• East Alabama
  • Liked: 2587
  • Likes Given: 2895
« Reply #2 on: 02/06/2021 03:15 am »
Shelby will most likely be replaced by another Republican senator.  Mo Brooks or Bradly Byrne, are two most widely known statewide names right now.  Under normal circumstances, in 2022, the Republicans will probably retake the senate.  I really don't think anything will change as far as SLS or NASA anytime soon.  SLS will only die after Starship/Superheavy becomes operational, and then only after 3-5 years. 

Offline yg1968

• Liked: 7123
  • Likes Given: 3065
« Reply #3 on: 02/06/2021 03:50 am »
As pointed out by Jeff Foust, the House (which is controlled by the Democrats) appropriated even more funding for FY21 to SLS than the Senate did. So it isn't just Shelby that is keeping SLS alive.

Offline yg1968

« Last Edit: 02/08/2021 04:17 pm by yg1968 »

Offline yg1968

« Last Edit: 02/08/2021 07:06 pm by yg1968 »

Offline FutureSpaceTourist

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
  • Liked: 81684
  • Likes Given: 36941
« Reply #6 on: 02/08/2021 08:15 pm »
https://twitter.com/lori_garver/status/1358879697501888512

I have similar stories. The last of the 4 Senators who led the resistance to commercial crew & demanded we build a rocket that could go to ISS, Moon & Mars by 2016 w/ current contracts/contractors & 50-yr old technology. He insisted I was ruining the space program 4 disagreeing.

Offline FutureSpaceTourist

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
  • Liked: 81684
  • Likes Given: 36941
« Reply #7 on: 02/09/2021 03:53 pm »
Eric Berger’s write-up of his take on Shelby’s retirement:

So long Senator Shelby: Key architect of SLS rocket won’t seek reelection
Shelby said NASA's exploration of space will "always" go through Alabama.

ERIC BERGER - 2/9/2021, 3:33 PM

https://arstechnica.com/science/2021/02/so-long-senator-shelby-key-architect-of-sls-rocket-wont-seek-reelection/

Offline russianhalo117

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 4673
  • Likes Given: 768
« Reply #8 on: 02/09/2021 09:41 pm »
in certain ways hallelujah otherwise happy retirement and advising as a lobbyist if you pursue that Honourable Sen. Shelby.

Offline Rocket Science

• NASA Educator Astronaut Candidate Applicant 2002
  • Liked: 4548
  • Likes Given: 13523
« Reply #9 on: 02/09/2021 09:50 pm »
No matter... The gravy train will continue to make it's usual stops in Alabama...
"The laws of physics are unforgiving"
~Rob: Physics instructor, Aviator

Offline yg1968

« Reply #10 on: 02/10/2021 12:20 am »
Richard Shelby, senator with major influence over NASA, to retire:
https://spacenews.com/richard-shelby-senator-with-major-influence-over-nasa-to-retire/

Offline RoadWithoutEnd

• Liked: 340
  • Likes Given: 442
« Reply #11 on: 03/07/2021 06:54 am »
Shelby has quite a legacy: Arguably the most obstinate and effective barrier to progress in the entire history of spaceflight. 

Also one of the most infuriating characters in that history.  He seems to have a lot of ideological disdain for NASA, but at the same time considers it some kind of birthright of his state to dictate its budget and policies at all costs to its actual mission.   

Fortunately he created a lot of moral contrast within the space community he held hostage, and that drove some of the psychological migration to the new way of doing things.  It also made some of the rebel elements in commercial space bolder, who might otherwise have been more pragmatic. 

Shelby and his fellow travelers got so greedy and brazen that they made it clear American HSF would never exist again if they kept getting their way.  And by doing that, and posing such a stark choice, they may have done us all an ironic service.
« Last Edit: 03/07/2021 06:55 am by RoadWithoutEnd »
Walk the road without end, and all tomorrows unfold like music.

Offline yg1968

« Reply #12 on: 03/07/2021 01:33 pm »
Shelby has quite a legacy: Arguably the most obstinate and effective barrier to progress in the entire history of spaceflight. 

Also one of the most infuriating characters in that history.  He seems to have a lot of ideological disdain for NASA, but at the same time considers it some kind of birthright of his state to dictate its budget and policies at all costs to its actual mission.   

Fortunately he created a lot of moral contrast within the space community he held hostage, and that drove some of the psychological migration to the new way of doing things.  It also made some of the rebel elements in commercial space bolder, who might otherwise have been more pragmatic. 

Shelby and his fellow travelers got so greedy and brazen that they made it clear American HSF would never exist again if they kept getting their way.  And by doing that, and posing such a stark choice, they may have done us all an ironic service.

Shelby gets blamed for everything but the fact is that House appropriations bill have been even worse when it comes to NASA (see the FY21 Appropriations bill as the latest example of this). I doubt that Shelby's replacement in the Senate will be any better. Many of these issues are more of a Congress vs the President issue.
« Last Edit: 03/07/2021 01:34 pm by yg1968 »

Offline deadman1204

• USA
  • Liked: 1468
  • Likes Given: 2520
« Reply #13 on: 03/08/2021 02:31 pm »

Fortunately he created a lot of moral contrast within the space community he held hostage, and that drove some of the psychological migration to the new way of doing things. 

Can you be more specific? Not really sure what you mean by this.

Offline RoadWithoutEnd

« Reply #14 on: 03/09/2021 11:31 pm »

Fortunately he created a lot of moral contrast within the space community he held hostage, and that drove some of the psychological migration to the new way of doing things. 

Can you be more specific? Not really sure what you mean by this.

From the beginning of the space program in Congress, there was a sense of mutualism, like "You scratch my back, I'll scratch yours" in budget priorities.  Kennedy and Johnson had built the system that way to keep it politically stable.  If someone had a useless program that benefited their state, they would be grateful when someone else backed it, and be willing to back other things in return.  So space had a lot of back-scratching relationships that weren't ideal, but got the job done.

But SLS got out of hand though, and Shelby was the front-man of the problem.  It wasn't mutual with him: It was his way or the highway.  It was "Give me what I want, and I mean all of what I want, or your programs are a target."  What had been horse-trading had become a hostage negotiation.

Coming from someone who was never part of the space community, it irked people, to say the least.  "Not a team player."  The more he flexed like that, the fewer people were willing to put up with it.  Whereas if he' he'd been more reasonable, he'd get getting more of his way than he is now, and the rest of agency wouldn't be urgent at helping commercial space. 

Shelby made the old way toxic just by his personal way of doing things.  His "I don't have to understand, just do what you're told."  That carries a big cost with smart, driven people.

Offline Proponent

• Liked: 2782
  • Likes Given: 1462
« Reply #15 on: 04/07/2021 03:41 pm »
Shelby will most likely be replaced by another Republican senator.  Mo Brooks or Bradly Byrne, are two most widely known statewide names right now.

Former President Trump has endorsed Mo Brooks to replace retiring Senator Shelby.  I'd be willing to bet that Brooks will take a seat in the Senate come January 2023.

Brooks will of course lack Shelby's seniority, but relative to other possible replacements for, Brooks can't be bad for SLS.

Offline RoadWithoutEnd

« Reply #16 on: 05/16/2021 06:55 pm »
Has he designated someone else on the committee to succeed him as the next Dread Pirate Roberts "protector of MSFC interests"?

Offline Proponent

• Liked: 2782
  • Likes Given: 1462
« Reply #17 on: 05/17/2021 01:44 pm »
I don't think that's up to Shelby.  The willingness of a member of the committee to defend MSFC will depend on the member's interpretation of said member's own interests, and the member's ability to defend MSFC will depend on the member's power, which in turn depends on seniority, which party is in the majority and other factors.  If, as I expect, Mo Brooks takes Shelby's seat, he will no doubt perceive a strong interest in promoting MSFC but will lack his predecessor's overarching seniority.

Offline spacenut

• East Alabama
  • Liked: 2587
  • Likes Given: 2895
« Reply #18 on: 05/17/2021 01:50 pm »
Mo Brooks current congressional district includes Huntsville and MSFC.  So he would continue to tow the line Shelby Started. 

Offline yg1968

« Reply #19 on: 05/17/2021 09:56 pm »
Mo Brooks current congressional district includes Huntsville and MSFC.  So he would continue to tow the line Shelby Started.

Brooks wouldn't be Chair or Ranking Member of the Senate Appropriations Committee.
« Last Edit: 05/17/2021 10:01 pm by yg1968 »

Offline yg1968

Offline deadman1204

• USA
  • Liked: 1468
  • Likes Given: 2520
« Reply #21 on: 01/03/2023 06:26 pm »
now everyone say it together:

FUEL DEPOT!

Offline yg1968

Offline jongoff

• Recovering Rocket Plumber/Space Entrepreneur
  • Lafayette/Broomfield, CO
  • Liked: 3987
  • Likes Given: 1684
« Reply #23 on: 01/05/2023 06:53 am »

FUEL DEPOT!

I've been saying it for years.

~Jon

Offline JohnFornaro

• Not an expert
  • Delta-t is an important metric.
  • Planet Eaarth
    • Design / Program Associates
  • Liked: 1257
  • Likes Given: 724
« Reply #24 on: 01/05/2023 10:50 am »

FUEL DEPOT!

I've been saying it for years.

~Jon

Oh, yeah.  For sure.  But don't forget all the other stuff.
Sometimes I just flat out don't get it.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography