Author Topic: Cosmos - A New Series Begins  (Read 36323 times)

Offline Orbiter

• Florida
  • Liked: 1548
  • Likes Given: 1385
Re: Cosmos - A New Series Begins
« Reply #20 on: 08/12/2013 08:15 pm »
Just got finished reading Frank Borman's book, he was NOT kind to Sagan at all, and what I read really lowered my opinion of the man )Sagan, that is).

What did you read? In few lines. Thanks.

Can't come up with the direct wording from the book but I believe Sagan brought Borman and his wife over to his house as guests and had students from his university ambush him with anti-Vietnam questions.
KSC Engineer, astronomer, rocket photographer.

Offline GalacticIntruder

• Pet Peeve:I hate the word Downcomer. Ban it.
  • Huntsville, AL
  • Liked: 247
  • Likes Given: 70
« Reply #21 on: 08/12/2013 08:33 pm »
As for those whom may have reservations, you can watch the Comic Con panel. He addresses some of the reservations. Though uncharacteristically, Ann Druyan talks more than Dr Tyson. There is some Q&A.

As for my personal opinion, I loved Cosmos, but was never enamored with Carl Sagan, the person. I like most of his books, but not really him.  I am looking forward to the Dr Tyson updated version, and I do like Dr Tyson, the person.

But no one holds a candle to Richard Feynman.

« Last Edit: 08/12/2013 08:41 pm by GalacticIntruder »
"And now the Sun will fade, All we are is all we made." Breaking Benjamin

Offline Star One

• UK
  • Liked: 3968
  • Likes Given: 220
« Reply #22 on: 08/13/2013 01:38 pm »
Wasn't Stephen Hawking's Universe of a few years ago something of an abridged updating of Cosmos?

Offline Nomadd

• Waikiki
  • Liked: 60418
  • Likes Given: 1301
« Reply #23 on: 08/13/2013 02:09 pm »
Just got finished reading Frank Borman's book, he was NOT kind to Sagan at all, and what I read really lowered my opinion of the man )Sagan, that is).
Been in discussions with both about Eastern Airlines and nuclear test bans. One was polite, passionate and articulate regarding his beliefs. One was less that credible and just a jerk. I wasn't too happy about Sagan drifting into social issues and getting surrounded by certain types, but there's very little chance Borman is going to affect my opinion of anybody.
 I hope Tyson can pull it off.
« Last Edit: 08/13/2013 02:11 pm by Nomadd »
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.

Offline martinlematre

• Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #24 on: 08/14/2013 06:00 pm »
While I do like NDT, I think the fact Fox & Macfarlane have a role in it will kind of sabotage the quality and integrity of it as a serious science program.

I'm all for bringing more popularity to science though, so I think it'll be great.

Offline RigelFive

• I hope that you relish Tranya as much I
  • Liked: 2
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #25 on: 08/15/2013 02:01 am »
Wasn't Stephen Hawking's Universe of a few years ago something of an abridged updating of Cosmos?
Tyson started an argument in 2010  after Hawking mentioned something about aliens.  Cosmos II should turn this argument into a fair/clean fight.
« Last Edit: 08/15/2013 04:20 am by RigelFive »

Offline jebbo

• Cambridge, UK
  • Liked: 606
  • Likes Given: 309
« Reply #26 on: 08/15/2013 08:47 am »
I wonder how well this new "Cosmos" will play here in the UK as a lot of the ground has been covered very well and recently by Brian Cox, Jim Al-Khalili, etc . . . at the moment we seem to have a pretty decent science strand going and a good set of presenters.

Offline DMeader

• Liked: 103
  • Likes Given: 48
« Reply #27 on: 08/15/2013 10:34 pm »
I wonder how well this new "Cosmos" will play here in the UK as a lot of the ground has been covered very well and recently by Brian Cox, Jim Al-Khalili, etc . . . at the moment we seem to have a pretty decent science strand going and a good set of presenters.

Why does it have to be a competition? Each has his own contribution to make. After all, I really enjoy watching Brian Cox over here on this side of the pond.

Offline deaville

• UK
  • Liked: 26
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #28 on: 08/25/2013 06:01 am »
Yep - I enjoyed the original Cosmos series. In fact used parts of it when trying to educate my pupils.

Another series by Carl that may be lost in the mists of time are the Christmas Lectures he gave at the Royal Institution at the time of the Viking missions to Mars. They can be found on the RI website. One has to register, but it is free. Well worth watching.
Light travels faster than sound, which is why some people appear bright until they speak.

Offline Negative Return

• Tampa, FL
  • Liked: 1
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #29 on: 02/19/2014 02:19 am »
Got the chance to watch the first episode today. I wasn't disappointed, but I wasn't excited. Guess you could say I was relieved more than anything else -- that they didn't make a joke of it or embarrass themselves.

There were some good moments, but Tyson lacks the earnestness of Sagan. And a large chunk of the episode was a cartoon about the small minds of the Middle Ages. Seemed dark and out of place.

That said, I don't know if anything could get me as excited as the original. I watched it as a very young kid and credit it with helping jumpstart my interest in science and space.

I hope the follow-up episodes get better.

Offline Elmar Moelzer

• Liked: 849
  • Likes Given: 1061
« Reply #30 on: 02/19/2014 02:29 pm »
Cosmos inspired me ever since I watched it as a kid. Carl Sagan's great way of describing things combined with his voice, intonation and the breathtaking (for the time) visuals and music made Cosmos a classic that will be hard to match.
Carl Sagan set a very high benchmark and that is unfortunate for Neil, because no matter how great of a job he does, he will always have to face the comparison to him.

Offline Robotbeat

• Minnesota
  • Liked: 25222
  • Likes Given: 12114
« Reply #31 on: 02/19/2014 04:24 pm »
Got the chance to watch the first episode today. I wasn't disappointed, but I wasn't excited. Guess you could say I was relieved more than anything else -- that they didn't make a joke of it or embarrass themselves.

There were some good moments, but Tyson lacks the earnestness of Sagan. And a large chunk of the episode was a cartoon about the small minds of the Middle Ages. Seemed dark and out of place.

That said, I don't know if anything could get me as excited as the original. I watched it as a very young kid and credit it with helping jumpstart my interest in science and space.

I hope the follow-up episodes get better.
How did you get to watch it? I'm impatient... :)

Also, I don't own a TV. http://xkcd.com/1299/ Will it be available online?
« Last Edit: 02/19/2014 04:33 pm by Robotbeat »
Chris  Whoever loves correction loves knowledge, but he who hates reproof is stupid.

To the maximum extent practicable, the Federal Government shall plan missions to accommodate the space transportation services capabilities of United States commercial providers. US law http://goo.gl/YZYNt0

Offline Negative Return

• Tampa, FL
  • Liked: 1
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #32 on: 02/20/2014 01:55 am »
Well I work for sister company to FOX.  I don't usually jump at these previews, but I, too, was eager for this one.

Most FOX shows are available online but I don't know for sure one way or another about this one.  Can't imagine it won't be, though.

Offline tigerade

• Low Earth Orbit
  • Liked: 51
  • Likes Given: 36
« Reply #33 on: 03/09/2014 01:38 pm »
Cosmos premiers tonight!  Time to get excited!

Offline Star One

• UK
« Reply #34 on: 03/09/2014 06:24 pm »

Cosmos premiers tonight!  Time to get excited!

So it's premiering in the UK one week later then as it starts on the 16th over here.

Offline Khadgars

• Orange County, California
  • Liked: 1131
  • Likes Given: 3155
« Reply #35 on: 03/09/2014 06:39 pm »
Looking forward to this.  Original Cosmos with Carl Sagan has been playing all weekend.  Its interesting Cosmos aired one year before I was born.  NDT Cosmos is literally everything that we've learned since the original, very exciting.
Evil triumphs when good men do nothing - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Star One

• UK
« Reply #36 on: 03/09/2014 06:45 pm »
Apparently the president has recorded a special intro for the first episode.

Offline Robotbeat

• Minnesota
  • Liked: 25222
  • Likes Given: 12114
« Reply #37 on: 03/09/2014 07:47 pm »
Is this going to be online? If so, when?

I know I just asked this question, but just want to reiterate it. I'm excited (though keeping realistic expectations... Sagan can't be replicated... yet! ;) ).
Chris  Whoever loves correction loves knowledge, but he who hates reproof is stupid.

To the maximum extent practicable, the Federal Government shall plan missions to accommodate the space transportation services capabilities of United States commercial providers. US law http://goo.gl/YZYNt0

Offline Scotty

• Merritt Island, Florida
  • Liked: 1950
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #38 on: 03/09/2014 08:07 pm »
Fox, 9 pm Eastern Time, Sunday evenings.

Offline Bubbinski

« Reply #39 on: 03/09/2014 11:17 pm »
I'll be watching tonight.  Hoping it's as good as the original, I remember seeing some of it as a kid and reading the book as a freshman in college.  Been watching the original series on NGC and it stands the test of time as a great show.

As far as the introduction, I think Sandra Bullock (Gravity) would be a better choice as she's popular and not politically polarizing as far as I know.
I'll even excitedly look forward to "flags and footprints" and suborbital missions. Just fly...somewhere.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography