Author Topic: Cosmos - A New Series Begins  (Read 36341 times)

Offline Khadgars

• Orange County, California
  • Liked: 1131
  • Likes Given: 3155
Cosmos - A New Series Begins
« on: 07/23/2013 10:33 pm »
It may have already been stated on another thread, and if so feel free to delete this post.  But I thought we could create a specific thread for the new Cosmos series by Neil deGrasse Tyson and his continuing the legendary work of Carl Sagan.  Can't wait!

http://www.space.com/22058-cosmos-a-spacetimes-odyssey-with-neil-degrasse-tyson-revealed-video.html
« Last Edit: 03/09/2014 06:34 pm by Khadgars »
Evil triumphs when good men do nothing - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Robotbeat

• Minnesota
  • Liked: 25225
  • Likes Given: 12114
Re: Cosmos
« Reply #1 on: 07/23/2013 10:37 pm »

(Just post the regular, vanilla link, don't post all the embed code or it won't embed in this forum!)

Example:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMJxjYRXYkU

EDIT: Just watched it. Looks awesome. I hope it keeps both the sciency passion of the original AND the exciting-ness needed to catch viewership. I'll be watching.
« Last Edit: 07/23/2013 10:44 pm by Robotbeat »
Chris  Whoever loves correction loves knowledge, but he who hates reproof is stupid.

To the maximum extent practicable, the Federal Government shall plan missions to accommodate the space transportation services capabilities of United States commercial providers. US law http://goo.gl/YZYNt0

Offline Khadgars

Re: Cosmos
« Reply #2 on: 07/23/2013 11:17 pm »
Yeah finally figured that out lol, thanks.  Yeah looks pretty awesome, if anyone can continue the work of Carl Sagan, its Neil.

Offline tigerade

• Low Earth Orbit
  • Liked: 51
  • Likes Given: 36
Re: Cosmos - A New Series Begins
« Reply #3 on: 07/24/2013 12:08 am »
I am also excited for this series.  If this gets a new generation interested in science and space, I'm all for it.  :)

Offline Khadgars

« Reply #4 on: 07/25/2013 08:42 pm »
Surprised more people are excited about this  ???

Offline Ben the Space Brit

• A spaceflight fan
  • London, UK
  • Liked: 806
  • Likes Given: 900
« Reply #5 on: 07/25/2013 08:55 pm »
Cosmos was... a once in a lifetime experience.  No matter how much effort is put into this remake, it can only be a dim reflection of the original for those of us lucky enough to enjoy it.  It broke so many moulds and set so many standards for factual programming that anything else is just a derivative.  Any attempt to redo it or 'extend' it just feels... wrong somehow.

Consequently, this remake thus has a very faint scent of blasphemy about it that leaves many people feeling equivocal.  We'll probably get over it eventually but... ah, somehow it couldn't be the same.
"Oops! I left the silly thing in reverse!" - Duck Dodgers

~*~*~*~

The Space Shuttle Program - 1981-2011

The time for words has passed; The time has come to put up or shut up!
DON'T PROPAGANDISE, FLY!!!

Offline Khadgars

« Reply #6 on: 07/25/2013 09:16 pm »
Cosmos was... a once in a lifetime experience.  No matter how much effort is put into this remake, it can only be a dim reflection of the original for those of us lucky enough to enjoy it.  It broke so many moulds and set so many standards for factual programming that anything else is just a derivative.  Any attempt to redo it or 'extend' it just feels... wrong somehow.

Consequently, this remake thus has a very faint scent of blasphemy about it that leaves many people feeling equivocal.  We'll probably get over it eventually but... ah, somehow it couldn't be the same.

I feel ya, Cosmos is awesome and I still watch it every couple months, but its 34 years later and the children today definitely do not feel the same way.  I think Carl Sagan would be happy with one of the most brilliant astrophysicist in the world continuing his work and inspiring a new generation.  Just look at the comments on youtube, people are getting geeky excited about it, pretty rare for science.

For you Ben, one of my favorite videos for Carl Sagan

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U49i8HYMp2k&feature=youtu.be

Offline clongton

• Expert
  • Connecticut
    • Direct Launcher
  • Liked: 7331
  • Likes Given: 3744
« Reply #7 on: 07/25/2013 11:46 pm »

I understand the feeling. I felt the same as the new Battlestar Galactica aired season 1. But it didn't take long before I was completely hooked!
Chuck - DIRECT co-founder
I started my career on the Saturn-V F-1A engine

Offline R7

• Propulsophile
    • Don't worry.. we can still be fans of OSC and SNC
  • Liked: 992
  • Likes Given: 668
« Reply #8 on: 07/26/2013 08:23 am »
I understand the feeling. I felt the same as the new Battlestar Galactica aired season 1. But it didn't take long before I was completely hooked!

Amen. It was the new BSG, loosely same plot and familiar names but with visuals, atmosphere and plot twists modernized for 21st century appetite. Tyson is the natural choice for the new Cosmos. Only bad thing is the waiting until 2014  :P
AD·ASTRA·ASTRORVM·GRATIA

Offline nethegauner

• Awaiting flight assignment since 1975
  • Germany
  • Liked: 2
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #9 on: 07/26/2013 02:00 pm »
"Unser Kosmos" was the momentous television moment that I experienced in my early life. Never again did anything shown on the tube capture my attention the way that Sagan's show did. Cannot believe it has been thirty years (the program was not aired in Germany  before 1983). I was eight years old and stayed up late on Tuesdays -- Sagan had a 9:45 pm slot.

Offline Zed_Noir

• Canada
  • Liked: 1801
  • Likes Given: 1296
« Reply #10 on: 07/26/2013 08:14 pm »
Why is this series on FOX of all networks?

A network infamous for early cancellations of nearly all their recent scifi genre shows.

Online Orbiter

• Florida
  • Liked: 1548
  • Likes Given: 1385
« Reply #11 on: 08/10/2013 08:40 pm »

I'll quote Neil deGrasse Tyson himself on it being on Fox:

The people who say with disdain and disgust: "It's appearing on Fox? Their viewers don't know any science!" And I simply reply, "If true, that makes Fox the best network of them all on which to air this series."
KSC Engineer, astronomer, rocket photographer.

Offline QuantumG

• Australia
  • Liked: 4477
  • Likes Given: 1108
« Reply #12 on: 08/10/2013 09:57 pm »
I wrote off the "new Cosmos" because of the rumored climate change focus.. now that I see it's going to be on Fox, maybe it won't be so bad.. still Neil deGrasse Tyson though, so...
Human spaceflight is basically just LARPing now.

Offline CriX

• Regular
  • Lake Forest, CA
  • Liked: 27
  • Likes Given: 86
« Reply #13 on: 08/11/2013 01:03 am »
I enjoy Tyson. My concern is that the show will most likely have to refrain from scientifically speaking on the origins of the universe and on the origins of life.  One pet peeve about these shows is their depiction of black holes as actual black spheres.... in reality they would almost certainly be shrouded in million degree hellishly bright vortex of many suns worth of matter.  Quite the opposite of blackness.

Offline RigelFive

• I hope that you relish Tranya as much I
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #14 on: 08/11/2013 01:33 am »
Found someone on the web making Cosmos II tshirts... But not for sale just yet.  Looks good!

Offline A_M_Swallow

• Elite Veteran
  • South coast of England
  • Liked: 500
  • Likes Given: 223
« Reply #15 on: 08/11/2013 09:54 am »
I enjoy Tyson. My concern is that the show will most likely have to refrain from scientifically speaking on the origins of the universe and on the origins of life.  One pet peeve about these shows is their depiction of black holes as actual black spheres.... in reality they would almost certainly be shrouded in million degree hellishly bright vortex of many suns worth of matter.  Quite the opposite of blackness.

So black holes have covers and warning lights.

Offline Khadgars

« Reply #16 on: 08/11/2013 05:17 pm »

Wouldn't that only apply to "feeding" or active blackholes?

Offline RigelFive

• I hope that you relish Tranya as much I
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #17 on: 08/12/2013 07:22 am »
It's ok, the black holes in COSMOS II will be covered in hype.  The energy of the hype is equivalent in strength to the conflagration of billion suns that hover a black hole in reality.  Sun glasses may be required to watch.

I'm looking forward to the show ( in a temporal sense, not in a Euclidean space kind of way).
« Last Edit: 08/12/2013 07:37 am by RigelFive »

Offline p51

• Somehwere near pad 39, trying to thumb a ride...
    • Thunderbolt Productions
  • Liked: 58
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #18 on: 08/12/2013 07:29 pm »
Just got finished reading Frank Borman's book, he was NOT kind to Sagan at all, and what I read really lowered my opinion of the man )Sagan, that is).
"The years forever fashion new dreams when old ones go. God pity a one-dream man."
-Robert Goddard

Offline spaceStalker

• Liked: 4
  • Likes Given: 14
« Reply #19 on: 08/12/2013 07:53 pm »
Just got finished reading Frank Borman's book, he was NOT kind to Sagan at all, and what I read really lowered my opinion of the man )Sagan, that is).

What did you read? In few lines. Thanks.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography