Author Topic: Ian's Paper Model Rocket Collection  (Read 39668 times)

Offline Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
  • A large LEGO storage facility ... in Michigan
  • Liked: 11864
  • Likes Given: 11086
Re: Ian's Paper Model Rocket Collection
« Reply #20 on: 04/04/2017 01:56 am »
Just as a note, LEGO models tend not to be to any particular scale. We just build so it looks good in context.

Nice set of models there Ian...
"I think it would be great to be born on Earth and to die on Mars. Just hopefully not at the point of impact." -Elon Musk
"We're a little bit like the dog who caught the bus" - Musk after CRS-8 S1 successfully landed on ASDS OCISLY

Offline IanThePineapple

« Reply #21 on: 04/06/2017 03:55 am »
Thanks! Yeah, I'd say the shuttle is near 1:100 scale. Having an accurate scaled model will look much better.

Offline IanThePineapple

« Reply #22 on: 04/22/2017 02:55 am »
Hey, I finally finished the Titan II! It's kinda late because of schoolwork and some mistakes made. The worst part was probably the lower engine section, because that needed a lot of small parts, and therefore took a long time.

Each stage is detachable, including the Gemini spacecraft itself. The stand isn't too good at holding it up, I'll probably reinforce it with wire or just make another temporary cardboard stand.

Also, I just printed out the pages for my next model... The STS-133 Discovery mission! This will take a WHILE to build.

Offline FishInferno

• Liked: 165
  • Likes Given: 219
« Reply #23 on: 04/23/2017 04:48 pm »
Awesome models bro! I have made a couple space models (and a few Minecraft paper models from the dark ages :P).  I made the Falcon 9 1.0 and had it sitting on the shelf for a while, before deciding to convert it into a flying model rocket.  I'm very happy with the way it turned out and it flew beautifully :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXvinHs5KK8&feature=youtu.be

Comparing SpaceX and SLS is like comparing paying people to plant fruit trees with merely digging holes and filling them.  - Robotbeat

Offline IanThePineapple

« Reply #24 on: 04/23/2017 05:03 pm »
That looks awesome, and it seemed to fly very well!! I too would like to convert a model to a flying one, and I think the Ares-1X is the best candidate. Perhaps in a few months I'll make a second one (with some structural enhancements) and try flying it on a custom motor.

Offline IanThePineapple

« Reply #25 on: 04/26/2017 03:28 am »
Here's a quick update, I started the Shuttle on Saturday, and here's the progress so far. This is pretty mich my ideal weeknight, rocking out to Billy Joel and building a Space Shuttle. Not many people can relate!

Offline IanThePineapple

« Reply #26 on: 04/28/2017 02:13 am »
The Shuttle is ALMOST done! I just need to integrate the engines and the tail fin. I'm assuming a Sunday or Monday completion...?
« Last Edit: 04/28/2017 02:14 am by IanThePineapple »

Offline Ronpur50

• Brandon, FL
  • Liked: 1028
  • Likes Given: 1884
« Reply #27 on: 04/29/2017 02:03 am »
Billy Joel and a space shuttle model?  I could do that.  Maybe a little Rush thrown in for me!

Offline IanThePineapple

« Reply #28 on: 05/02/2017 02:39 am »
Billy Joel and a space shuttle model?  I could do that.  Maybe a little Rush thrown in for me!

Ha, but ONLY "Countdown" can be played!  ;)

The Shuttle is almost done, the only thing I need to do is integrate the engines, then it's on to the ET and SRBs!

Offline IanThePineapple

« Reply #29 on: 05/07/2017 07:02 pm »
The Orbiter is complete, work has started on the boosters, with the right one almost completed.

The boosters will probably be done by the end of this week, and the whole stack near the end of May.

See you then!

Offline IanThePineapple

« Reply #30 on: 05/14/2017 04:24 pm »
ET and SRBs are mostly complete, they're just missing their attachment points. It SHOULD be finished by tonight or tomorrow.

Offline IanThePineapple

« Reply #31 on: 05/18/2017 02:42 am »
The model has finished gluing, I'll let it dry overnight and take pictures tomorrow. I don't want it to fall apart while taking pictures ;)

Offline IanThePineapple

« Reply #32 on: 05/23/2017 01:40 am »
The Shuttle is finished! It was done about 5 days ago but schoolwork, other hobbies, and forgetfulness got in the way.

This model took a while, but not as much as the Saturn V did.

You can see in the last pic my other 1:144 scale models, and the old LEGO shuttle for scale. I modified the LEGO Shuttle's stand for the new scale shuttle, and it's pretty good.

I love seeing how much larger the Saturn is compared to the Shuttle.

I printed out my next model the Delta II. I'd guess late June as a completion date. After that will likely be the Delta III unless AXM posts something new and awesome

Offline IanThePineapple

« Reply #33 on: 05/23/2017 01:42 am »
For some reason most photos appear upside down. I don't know why, and I don't know how to fix it. Sorry!
« Last Edit: 05/23/2017 01:43 am by IanThePineapple »

Offline IanThePineapple

« Reply #34 on: 06/03/2017 03:00 am »
The Delta II is coming along, though pretty slowly. The first stage is mostly done, and I've begun work on the boosters (beginning work meaning I have one nose cone finished...)

And I think it's gonna be a long long time...

Offline IanThePineapple

« Reply #35 on: 06/25/2017 03:25 am »
Wow, I REALLY haven't updated this post in a while. Finals prep (our school is getting out LATE this year), playing Portal and Portal 2 (Just got Portal 1, replaying Portal 2, great games.) and a liberal amount of Kerbal mixed in distracted me from modelling, but I've been doing a bit.

Well, I don't have a camera handy, so I'll just give a text update.

The Delta II first stage is mostly finished, just needs the vernier engines and the preburner exhaust pipe to be attached. Booster 9 is mostly done (It's the 'test booster', where I figure out how on earth to build the boosters), and 7 & 8 aren't too far behind. 4, 5 and 6 are cut out, the last 3 aren't cut out, and all the booster nose cones and nozzles are cut out.

Wow, that was a VERY specific description of what I've done...

Anyway, I'll be working on it more in the coming week and after that (the start of summer vacation). Then I'll seriously take that modelling break I've been saying I'll take since the beginning of this year :P

Offline IanThePineapple

« Reply #36 on: 06/25/2017 03:26 am »
Wow, I REALLY haven't updated this post in a while. Finals prep (our school is getting out LATE this year), playing Portal and Portal 2 (Just got Portal 1, replaying Portal 2, great games.) and a liberal amount of Kerbal mixed in distracted me from modelling, but I've been doing a bit.

Well, I don't have a camera handy, so I'll just give a text update.

The Delta II first stage is mostly finished, just needs the vernier engines and the preburner exhaust pipe to be attached. Booster 9 is mostly done (It's the 'test booster', where I figure out how on earth to build the boosters), and 7 & 8 aren't too far behind. 4, 5 and 6 are cut out, the last 3 aren't cut out, and all the booster nose cones and nozzles are cut out.

Wow, that was a VERY specific description of what I've done...

Anyway, I'll be working on it more in the coming week and after that (the start of summer vacation). Then I'll seriously take that modelling break I've been saying I'll take since the beginning of this year :P

Anyway, thanks for reading and (maybe) staying patient with me! Perhaps I'll get some pics up soon

-Ian

Offline IanThePineapple

« Reply #37 on: 06/28/2017 01:49 am »
So my dog decided to eat booster #9, and the onyl part that survived was the nosecone...

That's why I'm a cat person.

Offline IanThePineapple

« Reply #38 on: 07/01/2017 03:35 am »
So here are some pictures from today of progress. The core stage is mostly done, and I've been focusing on the boosters. You can see they're all in various states of progress, and booster #7 is finished. It is SO tedious to make 9 small nosecones, 9 small nozzles, and 9 small paper tubes...

Anyway, I can easily see all boosters being done by the end of next week, and the whole thing will probably be done in 1.5-2 weeks.

Thanks for checking this out!
-Ian

Offline IanThePineapple

« Reply #39 on: 07/18/2017 01:00 am »
The boosters are done, along with the core rocket. (Only about a week late... I work on Elon time.) the mounting pieces for the SRBs are the weird spikes sticking out, they're currently drying in place. In about an hour I'll begin mounting the SRBs. I might be done tomorrow, I don't know.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography