Author Topic: The Orion EFT-1 - Dude, where's my SLS? - Party Thread  (Read 166587 times)

Online Chris Bergin

Suggestion gave me a chuckle, so that works in my mind.

Party thread, keeping the main threads clear of nonsense! :)
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Online Galactic Penguin SST

Astronomy & spaceflight geek penguin. In a relationship w/ Space Shuttle Discovery. Current Priority: Chasing the Chinese Spaceflight Wonder Egg & A Certain Chinese Mars Rover

Offline Apollo-phill

• UK
  • Liked: 245
  • Likes Given: 6
Re: The Orion EFT-1 - Dude, where's my SLS? - Party Thread
« Reply #2 on: 12/02/2014 05:15 pm »
Having followed Apollo Program beginning to end, following Orion/D4H/SLS Program with as much enthusiasm .

Looking forward (weather permittting) to D4H-Orion launch as I have my name on board on the microchip !

Apollo-Phill

(or should it be Orion-Phill now ??)

Offline MattMason

• Space Enthusiast
  • Indiana
  • Liked: 772
  • Likes Given: 2016
« Reply #3 on: 12/02/2014 07:39 pm »
Gotta admit that the black-clad Orion is a looker.

But, dang, is development glacially slow. We can't get somebody to make us excited about flying to Mars?

Well, I get to watch a remake of the "Apollo 4" launch (except they had their moon rocket ready).  ;)

I know the thing hasn't a ELSS yet, but is it pressurized at least? Or has cameras for us to see from a pilot's eye view? EDIT: Folks who Know confirmed through a media question that the spacecraft has a camera or two.
« Last Edit: 12/02/2014 07:41 pm by MattMason »
"Why is the logo on the side of a rocket so important?"
"So you can find the pieces." -Jim, the Steely Eyed

Offline robertross

• Canadian Member
  • Westphal, Nova Scotia
  • Liked: 659
  • Likes Given: 7691
« Reply #4 on: 12/02/2014 08:23 pm »
So glad we have a party thread. Thanks Chris, and the winning name selectee. Mine were obviously sub-standard (in comparison).

People can complain all they want about the program, the rocket, the alternatives, the politics...

But at the end of the day, we have a rocket launch coming up, and dang it that's good enough for me!  :)

Offline newpylong

• Liked: 200
  • Likes Given: 343
« Reply #5 on: 12/02/2014 10:30 pm »

But, dang, is development glacially slow. We can't get somebody to make us excited about flying to Mars?

Well, I get to watch a remake of the "Apollo 4" launch (except they had their moon rocket ready).  ;)

I know the thing hasn't a ELSS yet, but is it pressurized at least? Or has cameras for us to see from a pilot's eye view? EDIT: Folks who Know confirmed through a media question that the spacecraft has a camera or two.

Yes its pressurized with basic cabin air circulation and heat dissipation. It isn't a boilerplate.

Go Orion.

Offline AndrewM

• Global Moderator
  • United States
  • Liked: 256
  • Likes Given: 751
« Reply #6 on: 12/02/2014 11:46 pm »
I will be watching the launch on the bus in the way to school on Thursday but will be wearing my EFT-1 mission shirt that I got for my team winning a video challenge.

Offline Endeavour_01

• Hazards & Risk Analyst in SC, USA
  • Liked: 759
  • Likes Given: 580
« Reply #7 on: 12/03/2014 12:33 am »
I will be watching the launch on the bus in the way to school on Thursday but will be wearing my EFT-1 mission shirt that I got for my team winning a video challenge.

Awesome. I am quite jealous about the shirt.  ;)
I cheer for both NASA and commercial space. For SLS, Orion, Falcon 9, Falcon Heavy, Dragon, Starship/SH, Starliner, Cygnus and all the rest!
I was blessed to see the launch of Space Shuttle Endeavour on STS-99. The launch was beyond amazing. My 8-year old mind was blown. I remember the noise and seeing the exhaust pour out of the shuttle as it lifted off. I remember staring and watching it soar while it was visible in the clear blue sky. It was one of the greatest moments of my life and I will never forget it.

Offline mike robel

• Extreme Veteran
  • Merritt Island, FL
  • Liked: 369
  • Likes Given: 260
« Reply #8 on: 12/03/2014 01:49 am »
For sale at the visitor center.  Mail order too.

Offline TexasRED

• Houston
  • Liked: 3
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #9 on: 12/03/2014 02:52 am »
Posting from I-10 east going 70...sick of this road haha let's go!

Offline the_other_Doug

• Minneapolis, MN
  • Liked: 2191
  • Likes Given: 4620
« Reply #10 on: 12/03/2014 04:58 am »

Yes its pressurized with basic cabin air circulation and heat dissipation. It isn't a boilerplate.

Go Orion.

Every manned Orion will have to spend at *least* a half an hour flying without its service module as it prepares for entry interface.  Orion, IIRC, has enough battery power, air and thermal conditioning equipment located within the capsule itself to support several hours of independent flight (unlike Apollo, which was designed to operate for about 30 minutes without its service module, with a goodly amount of margin).  AIUI, that's what will be used on this flight.

This is a production spacecraft, and has most all of the systems a manned vehicle will have once they start flying them with crews.
-Doug  (With my shield, not yet upon it)

Offline Hog

• Woodstock
  • Liked: 1700
  • Likes Given: 6866
« Reply #11 on: 12/03/2014 12:10 pm »
Dude, where's my SLS?  Great thread title.

I can see EFT-1 getting off the pad with far fewer delays than EM-1 in 2018.

Here's to a great liftoff.  I just printed off my boarding pass, and I'm heading to Florida.  I'm going to have to "hammer down" in order to make it as it takes 24 hours to get to Florida from Ontario.  I dont want to miss this flight.
« Last Edit: 12/03/2014 12:15 pm by Hog »
Paul

Offline jtrame

• W4FJT
  • Knoxville, TN
  • Liked: 86
  • Likes Given: 346
« Reply #12 on: 12/03/2014 03:25 pm »
I think it would be nice to see some interior pictures from the closeout this week. 

Go Orion!

Offline MATTBLAK

• Elite Veteran & 'J.A.F.A'
  • 'Space Cadets' Let us; UNITE!! (crickets chirping)
  • New Zealand
  • Liked: 2239
  • Likes Given: 3883
« Reply #13 on: 12/03/2014 05:49 pm »
What I'm looking forward to most are the TV camera views within the capsule and looking out the window(s). Does the Delta have any external cams the way the Shuttle E.T.s used to have?
"Those who can't, Blog".   'Space Cadets' of the World - Let us UNITE!! (crickets chirping)

Offline tesla

• Researcher
  • State College, PA, USA
  • Liked: 51
  • Likes Given: 100
« Reply #14 on: 12/03/2014 05:53 pm »
OK GUYS it is time!!!  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Thank you everyone and especially the NSF team for the coverage and high quality news articles of the SLS/Orion program.

You guys rock!!!

The future is now. It really is. Now lets get the new NASA program launched and this party threat started!

Time for patriotism too my friends.  ;D ;D

GO ULA, GO NASA, GO EFT-1, GO TEAM!!!

« Last Edit: 12/03/2014 05:55 pm by tesla »
Go SLS and Orion! God bless America.

Online PahTo

• Port Angeles
  • Liked: 271
  • Likes Given: 1194
« Reply #15 on: 12/03/2014 06:39 pm »

I believe there are external "rocket cams" to view separation events, not sure if we'll get to see them live during the ride uphill, or after the fact.

Go D-IVH!  Go Orion!
Woot!

Offline arachnitect

• Liked: 501
  • Likes Given: 759
« Reply #16 on: 12/03/2014 06:47 pm »
CEV on EELV

A reminder of what could have been.

Offline savuporo

• Liked: 1002
  • Likes Given: 342
« Reply #17 on: 12/03/2014 07:10 pm »
So ok it turns out that Able and Miss Baker have a few surviving relatives, a few are frantically filling out applications forms to still get on this flight.
Orion - the first and only manned not-too-deep-space craft

Offline Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
  • A large LEGO storage facility ... in Michigan
  • Liked: 11864
  • Likes Given: 11086
« Reply #18 on: 12/03/2014 07:19 pm »
So ok it turns out that Able and Miss Baker have a few surviving relatives, a few are frantically filling out applications forms to still get on this flight.

NASA being a government agency, they probably should have started a few days earlier?
"I think it would be great to be born on Earth and to die on Mars. Just hopefully not at the point of impact." -Elon Musk
"We're a little bit like the dog who caught the bus" - Musk after CRS-8 S1 successfully landed on ASDS OCISLY

Offline MattMason

• Space Enthusiast
  • Indiana
  • Liked: 772
  • Likes Given: 2016
« Reply #19 on: 12/03/2014 07:49 pm »

Go Orion.

Every manned Orion will have to spend at *least* a half an hour flying without its service module as it prepares for entry interface.  Orion, IIRC, has enough battery power, air and thermal conditioning equipment located within the capsule itself to support several hours of independent flight (unlike Apollo, which was designed to operate for about 30 minutes without its service module, with a goodly amount of margin).  AIUI, that's what will be used on this flight.

This is a production spacecraft, and has most all of the systems a manned vehicle will have once they start flying them with crews.

Great information, thank you. I was aware it wasn't a boilerplate, just missing a few key things to make it truly habitable but otherwise fully stocked.

I've scanned the 'net for any interior views of this spacecraft and have come up empty. There's plenty of interiors of the mockups and artist renderings. Would be cool to see what's "under the hood" here.
"Why is the logo on the side of a rocket so important?"
"So you can find the pieces." -Jim, the Steely Eyed

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography