Author Topic: SpaceX's Autonomous Spaceport Drone Ship Updates and Discussion Thread 3  (Read 1424039 times)

Offline old_sellsword

• Liked: 531
  • Likes Given: 470
For a January 7 launch from VAFB, when would we expect JRTI to leave port?
Do we have anyone checking on it on a regular basis?  Is it visible on any webcams?

edit:  Do we expect SpaceX to use JTRI, or do we think they will attempt RTLS?  Have we seen a completed landing pad with the big X on it?  Are we still waiting to hear of Air Force approval as Jim suggested in the "SpaceX VAFB landing facilities" thread?

Marine Traffic tracking of the tug.

What's the name of the west coast tug?

Offline DatUser14

• Liked: 191
  • Likes Given: 651
American Islander I think. Support ship is NRC Quest
Titan IVB was a cool rocket

Offline old_sellsword

• Liked: 531
  • Likes Given: 470
American Islander I think. Support ship is NRC Quest

I thought American Islander was the Dragon recovery ship, but I guess it has a second purpose.

Offline Raul

• Ústí nad Orlicí, CZECH
  • Liked: 1188
  • Likes Given: 99
In case of Jason-3 flight it was International Freedom.

Offline Wolfram66

Since SpaceX hasn't landed a stage launched from VAFB, where will they offload, safe the stage? Do they have the same stand [with deep pad anchoring], cranes and GSE that they process the S1 for Transport? Do we have members that can document the offloading procedures? Thanks in advance ;D

Offline rpapo

Since SpaceX hasn't landed a stage launched from VAFB, where will they offload, safe the stage? Do they have the same stand [with deep pad anchoring], cranes and GSE that they process the S1 for Transport? Do we have members that can document the offloading procedures? Thanks in advance ;D
Didn't they build a stand over on the dock where they moor the ASDS?
Following the space program since before Apollo 8.

Offline Wolfram66

Didn't they build a stand over on the dock where they moor the ASDS?

IDK: i haven't seen any pictures in a while. They have offloaded stage fragments, but never safed/disassembled one in Cali.

Offline sdsds

• “With peace and hope for all mankind.”
  • Seattle
  • Liked: 2050
  • Likes Given: 1962
It looks to me like American Islander lit up her vessel tracking equipment a few hours ago, albeit just briefly. I believe it had been "dark" for several days prior.
— 𝐬𝐝𝐒𝐝𝐬 —

Offline dorkmo

• Liked: 338
  • Likes Given: 848
looks like NRC quest has moved around

Offline The Roadie

• Portland, Oregon
  • Liked: 2327
  • Likes Given: 98

In case of Jason-3 flight it was International Freedom.
Which is currently in Hawaii.

"A human being should be able to...plan an invasion..conn a ship..solve equations, analyze a new problem..program a computer, cook a tasty meal.."-RAH

Offline Nydoc

• Liked: 99
  • Likes Given: 14
NRC Quest is about 15 miles off of the coast and headed southwest, following behind the tug Pacific Warrior.
« Last Edit: 01/05/2017 07:13 pm by Nydoc »

Offline John Alan

• Central IL - USA - Earth
    • Home of the ThreadRipper Cadillac
  • Liked: 721
  • Likes Given: 2735
PACIFIC WARRIOR may just be the tug pulling JRTI out...  8)

Will have to keep an eye on that one...  :)

http://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/details/ships/shipid:434121/mmsi:367008820/imo:7641384/vessel:PACIFIC_WARRIOR

History info on boat...
http://www.tugboatinformation.com/tug.cfm?id=6778

Offline Wolfram66

http://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/details/ships/shipid:434121/mmsi:367008820/imo:7641384/vessel:PACIFIC_WARRIOR

History info on boat...

MarineTraffic tag on NRC Quest says destination is "Training" and Pacific Warrior Dest is 100 NM S of Cortez Bank

Offline envy887

• Liked: 6801
  • Likes Given: 2965

History info on boat...

MarineTraffic tag on NRC Quest says destination is "Training" and Pacific Warrior Dest is 100 NM S of Cortez Bank

Anyone have the JTRI location from the Jason-3 mission for comparison? Seems about the right place for an offshore F9 recovery, roughly 300 miles south of VAFB.

Offline ClayJar

• Baton Rouge, LA, USA
  • Liked: 1280
  • Likes Given: 127
Quoting from way back, with a link to a map with various bits on it, some possibly relevant:

Here's a link to the map made by darga showing the barge location for Jason-3 as specified on the FCC transmitter permit.

It appears to be positioned to allow a booostback just west of the Channel Islands, getting as close to the islands as possible without overflying them.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=zXmjsQgIEPtk.kEXviMLLYGIk

Looks to me as if it's a reasonable vicinity, more or less.

Online Johnnyhinbos

• Boston, MA
  • Liked: 8095
  • Likes Given: 943
I wouldn't think NRC Quest is heading out for the launch yet. The Quest ships cruise in the 12 knot range whereas a tug towing an ASDS is more in the 2-5 knot range and usually depart ahead of the support ships. NRC Quest it likely just shaking off the cobwebs...
John Hanzl. Author, action / adventure www.johnhanzl.com

Offline dorkmo

• Liked: 338
  • Likes Given: 848
pacific warrior still going. nrc quest back in LBC

Offline Raul

• Ústí nad Orlicí, CZECH
  • Liked: 1188
  • Likes Given: 99
Quoting from way back, with a link to a map with various bits on it, some possibly relevant:

Here's a link to the map made by darga showing the barge location for Jason-3 as specified on the FCC transmitter permit.

It appears to be positioned to allow a booostback just west of the Channel Islands, getting as close to the islands as possible without overflying them.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=zXmjsQgIEPtk.kEXviMLLYGIk

Looks to me as if it's a reasonable vicinity, more or less.

DroneShip target position is 96km southwards from last Jason-3 landing position. 342km from the port and 372km from launch pad.

From actual position of Pacific Warrior it is approx. 220km. By speed of 6 knot it could take about 20 hours.
« Last Edit: 01/06/2017 07:07 am by Raul »

Offline sdsds

• “With peace and hope for all mankind.”
  • Seattle
  • Liked: 2050
  • Likes Given: 1962
I can't seem to reconcile the FCC license location with the stated destination of Pacific Warrior: "100NM S CORTEZ BNK."

Cortes Bank is roughly 119.2 degrees west; the FCC location is 120.5 degrees west.

EDIT:
Wikipedia says Cortes Bank is 32 28 41N, 119 12 54W. 100 NM is 185.2 km. So the stated destination of Pacific Warrior is 30 48 46N, 119 12 54W.

That's 134.8 km from the FCC location of  31 17 45N, 120 30 46W.
« Last Edit: 01/06/2017 08:36 am by sdsds »
— 𝐬𝐝𝐒𝐝𝐬 —

Offline envy887

• Liked: 6801
  • Likes Given: 2965
I can't seem to reconcile the FCC license location with the stated destination of Pacific Warrior: "100NM S CORTEZ BNK."

Cortes Bank is roughly 119.2 degrees west; the FCC location is 120.5 degrees west.

EDIT:
Wikipedia says Cortes Bank is 32 28 41N, 119 12 54W. 100 NM is 185.2 km. So the stated destination of Pacific Warrior is 30 48 46N, 119 12 54W.

That's 134.8 km from the FCC location of  31 17 45N, 120 30 46W.

31 17 45N, 120 30 46W is 97 nautical miles from 32 28 41N, 119 12 54W in a south/southwest-ish direction. I think you're inferring too much precision from the stated destination, particularly the direction.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography