Author Topic: LIVE: SpaceX Falcon 9 - Inmarsat 5 F4 - May 15, 2017 - UPDATES  (Read 156407 times)

Offline scienceguy

• Regular
  • Lethbridge, Alberta
  • Liked: 155
  • Likes Given: 279
Yaay well done SpaceX
e^(pi*i) = -1

Offline Llian Rhydderch

• Terran Anglosphere
  • Liked: 1299
  • Likes Given: 9683
Congrats on a successful expendable F9 mission.

Keep up the consistent good work and robust design as you continue to deliver launch services at the lowest prices and with the most-accessible manifest of all launch service providers globally!
Re arguments from authority on NSF:  "no one is exempt from error, and errors of authority are usually the worst kind.  Taking your word for things without question is no different than a bracket design not being tested because the designer was an old hand."
"You would actually save yourself time and effort if you were to use evidence and logic to make your points instead of wrapping yourself in the royal mantle of authority.  The approach only works on sheep, not inquisitive, intelligent people."

Online FutureSpaceTourist

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
  • Liked: 81683
  • Likes Given: 36941
More SpaceX launch photos

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
Following @SpaceX launch we acquired telemetry from our Perth ground station at 01:04BST/20:04EDT. Our @BoeingDefense #I5F4 is looking good!

https://twitter.com/inmarsatglobal/status/864288561054568448

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
No orbit numbers, but a happy customer:

We got an excellent orbit from our Falcon9 Super Sport on #I5F4 @InmarsatGlobal
Thanks @SpaceX

https://twitter.com/m_ladovaz/status/864281276034973701

Offline Kaputnik

• Extreme Veteran
  • Liked: 722
  • Likes Given: 821
Congratulations to SpaceX, Inmarsat, and the range guys. Never boring for me!

The number of commerial Falcon customers is gradually overtaking the government ones- a sign of a very healthy program, IMO.
"I don't care what anything was DESIGNED to do, I care about what it CAN do"- Gene Kranz

Offline octavo

• Liked: 186
  • Likes Given: 738
Another epic launch - covered in amazing detail by the team here. It was great to read the thread while watching the video this morning - thanks to all who made it possible!

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
Inmarsat press release:

Inmarsat confirms successful launch of the fourth Global Xpress satellite

16 May 2017: Inmarsat (LON: ISAT), the world’s leading provider of global mobile satellite communications, has confirmed the successful launch of the fourth, high-speed broadband communications satellite in its transformational Global Xpress (GX) constellation.

Inmarsat GX is the world’s first globally available, broadband connectivity service and was created to enable communities across the world to benefit from the emerging digital society.

Inmarsat-5 F4 (I-5 F4) was launched by SpaceX on a Falcon 9 rocket at 00:21 (BST) / 19:21 (ET) from the historic launch pad 39A at NASA’s Kennedy Space Center in Florida. Following satellite separation at 00:53 (BST) / 19:53 ET, we acquired telemetry from our Perth ground station at 01:04 BST / 20:04 ET.

The launch team from Inmarsat and Boeing Network & Space Systems, the manufacturer of I-5 F4, are now raising the spacecraft to a geostationary orbit, at which point the satellite will deploy its solar arrays and reflectors, and undergo payload testing.

I-5 F4 joins the three GX satellites already in orbit, which have, since December 2015, been delivering unprecedented service speeds, global coverage, reliability and security to users on land, at sea and in the air.   The fourth satellite adds further capacity to the GX network, as well as in-orbit redundancy that further upgrades the reliability and resilience of Inmarsat’s service offerings.

“For Inmarsat, reliability and resilience are paramount,” said Rupert Pearce, CEO, Inmarsat. “Delivering global commercial services over the GX network, which we achieved at the end of 2015, was only the start of our Global Xpress project.  I-5 F4 augments the capabilities of GX and, alongside our existing L-band constellations, enables Inmarsat to provide guaranteed global connectivity to industries and governments worldwide.

“I would like to thank all my colleagues at Inmarsat, whose hard work and dedication is seeing Global Xpress setting a new standard of excellence for broadband communications in established VSAT markets, such the maritime and government sectors, while also rapidly gaining strong traction in new market areas, such as the rapidly expanding aviation passenger connectivity sector.

“I also wish to extend my sincere thanks to our satellite manufacturing partner Boeing and our launch partner SpaceX for delivering a successful launch outcome.”

http://www.inmarsat.com/press-release/inmarsat-confirms-successful-launch-fourth-global-xpress-satellite/

Offline CyclerPilot

• USA
  • Liked: 23
  • Likes Given: 0
Congratz SpaceX.  Another boring launch.  Couldn't be happier.

Offline MATTBLAK

• Elite Veteran & 'J.A.F.A'
  • 'Space Cadets' Let us; UNITE!! (crickets chirping)
  • New Zealand
  • Liked: 2239
  • Likes Given: 3883
Never boring - I'm always anxious during any launch; manned or unmanned.
"Those who can't, Blog".   'Space Cadets' of the World - Let us UNITE!! (crickets chirping)

Offline Silmfeanor

• Utrecht, The Netherlands
  • Liked: 403
  • Likes Given: 723
Congrats to Inmarsat and SpaceX for a successful mission!
Thanks to NSF for coverage - watched it back in the morning. Excellent play by play.

Offline Toastmastern

• Liked: 41
  • Likes Given: 216
Congratz to everyone involved in the launch, textbook perfect!!

Offline Hankelow8

• UK
  • Liked: 166
  • Likes Given: 68
10 Mins shaved off fuelling  times, a silky smooth countdown, congratulations to SpaceX on achieving further maturity in rocket launching, roll on Falcon heavy.
« Last Edit: 05/16/2017 11:50 pm by Hankelow8 »

Offline Davp99

• Fall River, MA
  • Liked: 50
  • Likes Given: 263
Good News to wake up to.. Congrats SpaceX
You Only Live Twice

Offline Targeteer

• near hangar 18
  • Liked: 3364
  • Likes Given: 1139
42698   INMARSAT 5-F4   2017-025A      1401.67min   24.50deg   69839km   381km      
42699   FALCON 9 R/B   2017-025B           1410.43min   24.47deg   70181km   384km
« Last Edit: 05/16/2017 04:23 pm by Targeteer »
Best quote heard during an inspection, "I was unaware that I was the only one who was aware."

Offline BabaORileyUSA

• Liked: 23
  • Likes Given: 17
42699   FALCON 9 R/B   2017-025B           1410.43min   24.47deg   70181km   384km

I believe these are identified backwards: the payload is in the 384 x 70,181 km orbit; and the Falcon-9 upper stage rocket body is in the 381 x 69,839 km orbit.   Expect 18 SPCS to swap these in the next couple of days.
« Last Edit: 05/16/2017 05:09 pm by BabaORileyUSA »

Offline jacqmans

• Global Moderator
  • Houten, The Netherlands
  • Liked: 8562
  • Likes Given: 320
Boeing-Built Satellite Will Enhance Global High-Speed Broadband Network

Fourth and final Inmarsat-5 satellite adds further capacity and coverage to the Global Xpress network

EL SEGUNDO, Calif., May 16, 2017 – The fourth Boeing [NYSE: BA] Inmarsat-5 satellite, which was launched yesterday, will noticeably expand the high-speed broadband service available through Inmarsat’s Global Xpress network after the satellite becomes fully operational later this year.

The Inmarsat-5 satellites are uniquely able to provide seamless communications coverage through fixed and steerable beams that can be adjusted in real time to accommodate demand surges.     

“Inmarsat-5 F4 joins our existing Global Xpress constellation, which is already being adopted as the new standard in global mobile broadband connectivity by companies, governments and communities around the world,” said Michele Franci, CTO, Inmarsat. “Boeing has been an outstanding partner in our journey to make Global Xpress a reality.”

This is the fourth Inmarsat-5 satellite Boeing has built for Inmarsat’s Global Xpress network. After reaching its final orbit, the satellite will undergo testing and checkout before being declared operational. 

“Our partnership with Inmarsat has enabled the creation of the world’s only commercial global, mobile Ka-band network,” said Mark Spiwak, president, Boeing Satellite Systems International. “This unique achievement is an example of Boeing’s continuing commitment to deliver reliable, affordable and innovative solutions for our customers.”

Boeing has a strategic marketing partnership with Inmarsat and currently provides both military Ka-band and commercial Global Xpress services to U.S. government customers.
Jacques :-)

Offline baldusi

• Buenos Aires, Argentina
  • Liked: 2539
  • Likes Given: 8273

Roughly a 1,570m/s deficit to GEO. That's almost Zenit-3SL/Proton-M/Briz-M performance.
« Last Edit: 05/17/2017 01:45 pm by baldusi »

Offline Oersted

• Liked: 4098
  • Likes Given: 2773
That legless first stage looked so weird... Congrats!

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
Another great launch shot by John Kraus:

Congrats @SpaceX on the successful launch of Inmarsat-5 4F! #I5F4. Viewing from #KennedySpaceCenter by @johnkrausphotos

https://twitter.com/explorespaceksc/status/864263870839488512

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography